Rift loses randomly HDMI connection - Page 2 — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Rift loses randomly HDMI connection

Comments

• YbalridYbalrid Posts: 247
    Art3mis
    edited July 2016
    @PIXELATED I can confirm, it only happen when the headset is warm.

I bought 2m HDMI and USB3 expender to run cables from the back of my PC to the front. So that it's easy to disconnect.

I just unplug the rift when not in use. I just plugged it right now (Writing this from Virtual Desktop ;D) and I could not reproduce the issue right away.

Now I just slightly pressed the headset on it's left side, and I got a blackout for 2 seconds, with a notification regarding the HDMI connection.

Anyway, it's only annoyed me when I was moving it with my hand. I hope the "keep it unplugged when not in use" solution will not be that much annoying.

I reluctant to the idea of RMA it for now, but I'm curious about the replacement delay. Can you tell me how long they have took when you'll have your replacement unit? ^^"

having issues too where the headset disconnects, also after it has warmed up. about 5-10 mins into a game I will get a disconnect. I suspect its something to do with where the cable plugs in, as i am seeing that applying slight pressure to that area, can prompt the problem. 
    That's my experience too. :/

CV1+Touch; Running on GTX980 - 4770K - 32GB DDR3

I'm writing a C++ open-sourcre game engine for the Rift http://annwvyn.org/ - https://github.com/Ybalrid/Annwvyn
    For now it's only used for my student projects at my engineering school http://en.esiea.fr/
  • PIXELATEDPIXELATED Posts: 240
    Nexus 6
    edited July 2016
    Ybalrid said:
    @PIXELATED I can confirm, it only happen when the headset is warm.

I reluctant to the idea of RMA it for now, but I'm curious about the replacement delay. Can you tell me how long they have took when you'll have your replacement unit? ^^"
    This morning my partner received an email with UPS postage label so I'll take it to UPS drop off point tomorrow in UK (25th July).. The address to send the CV1 back is in the Netherlands (Europe) so hope to hear when they are sending me a new one soon - I will let you know when/if it arrives and if it is a new one or refurbished :'(

Seems like if yours is shutting off / disconnecting when it is warm (10-15 mins use) then it's only a matter of time till it stops completely - that is what happened to me.

Good luck
    Win 10 Pro, GTX 1080, Asus Z170 Deluxe, Nvidia 391.35
  • edmgedmg Posts: 1,134
    Wintermute
    edited July 2016
    As I said in the other thread, I was getting disconnects yesterday after moving my Rift from a USB 2.0 port to USB 3.0. Moving it from the PCI card port to the motherboard seems to have solved it; Oculus Home still reports USB 3.0, but I was playing games and watching movies for a few hours without a disconnect.
  • jkn87jkn87 Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    It happened to me today. it stopped working the rift when i moved my head and i uninstalled drivers from nvidia and installed older ones, reinstalled rift 1.6 and unplugged and plugged thousand times the hdmi conexion (message warning no hdmi detected alllll the time..). 
    you know what the problem was? the cable conexion in the head within rift was a little bit pulled out and i pushed it and felt like a sound "click". PROBLEM SOLVED. 
    Nexus 6
    edited July 2016
    @jkn87
    That's great news you've got yours working again :)
    I had read that some people have put Gaffer (Duct) tape on the plug which connects to the headset to stop it from coming loose - simple and effective yet a bit disappointing for a £500 commercial product purchase me thinks (-:
  • jamstorr86jamstorr86 Posts: 63
    Hiro Protagonist
    PIXELATED said:
    @jkn87
    That's great news you've got yours working again :)
    I had read that some people have put Gaffer (Duct) tape on the plug which connects to the headset to stop it from coming loose - simple and effective yet a bit disappointing for a £500 commercial product purchase me thinks (-:
    I think you have to be careful doing this, as this may sit in line with physically manipulating your headset, which may void you warrenty. plus, having gaffer table warming up and then melting may do even more damage. But I completely agree, this is a fundamental flaw in the design, and would warrent a recall for a known defect in my honest opinion. 
  • i send my rift in last week and have received an e-mail that my replacmentunit is on the way. got no tracking number yet. will keep you guys updadet
  • Hotdog12Hotdog12 Posts: 44
    Brain Burst
    got my rma rift yesterday, well against all presumptions it is brand new! and until now it works perfectly fine. hope it stays that way forever. I hope everyone gets a new and working replacement.  
  • Laddi_deLaddi_de Posts: 25
    Brain Burst
    edited July 2016
    I have also a problem with my rift. When I move my head or the rift on my head it looses the hdmi connection an in devices an error is shown. After a few seconds it works again, but somtimes I have to reboot my machine.

I found a video which shows exactly my problem:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dywGfvWryw 

It seems to me that there is a fault in a production line. I tried so many things but nothing helps.

The rift right now makes no fun :(

I contacted the support and will inform here what happens.
  • SauSackSauSack Posts: 28
    Brain Burst
    edited July 2016
    Ok, looks like I have to correct myself - it IS NOT software related!!
    Error seems to occur when I start to take that rift on or off, or when even if I knock gently at the cover next to the cable plug......
    I plugged in the cable several times properly but the issue is not solved, it even becomes more and more - looks like something at the mainboard loses its connection further.

Fortunately the first responses came in really fast from the support.

Hopefully they will exchange my rift fast, too!

Must be a faulty series or something similar.......

Regards
    Brain Burst
    edited July 2016
    Hello SauSack,

are you from Germany, too? Because of your name...

I also tried knocking gently near the cable and it also looses the connection after that knocking. It seems we have both the same problem. 

I really regret to have bought an oculus rift. It's always the same when you are an early adopter...

Edit: I made a little video from my error:

https://youtu.be/TmZJlsGxr7I

• Also seeing the disconnect issue with HDMI during use. Does seem to be related to the duration of use or heat of the unit. I can confirm it also seems to be with the connection at the headset and not the USB or HDMI plugs on the computer side.

Now if support would respond to my ticket... it has been a week since they were "looking into it"... seems unlikely they don't know what the issue is at this point!
    Brain Burst
    Laddi_de said:
    Hello SauSack,

are you from Germany, too? Because of your name...

I also tried knocking gently near the cable and it also looses the connection after that knocking. It seems we have both the same problem. 

I really regret to have bought an oculus rift. It's always the same when you are an early adopter...

Edit: I made a little video from my error:

https://youtu.be/TmZJlsGxr7I

Ja, komme aus dem schönen Rheinland ;-)

Luckily you made this vid - it could be my rift as it is reacting exactly the same way ......
    Must be a faulty charge - not everybody got this issue, so it is not the rift project in total I guess.

Hopefully we will get a fresh one in not to far future........ My vr-lens glasses are about to arrive today :-\

Regards und Grüße
  • FiegeFiege Posts: 69
    Hiro Protagonist
    Hi Laddi de & SauSack, hi all.

I'm also from Germany and had exactly the same issues on my CV1 I received on Monday.
    I opened a ticket with Oculus support and send in the first logs.

Maybe there is hope, since by now I'm not sure that the hdmi disconnects are really caused by faulty hardware.
    But let's break it down a bit:

After installation:

- First I expected the cable to be faulty, because touching it caused the hdmi disconnect.
    - Then I blamed the HMD, because holding the cable in place while moving the HMD caused the error too.
    - Refitting the cable did not change anything...at first.

Second time I used the Rift (after reboot obviously) the problems were completely gone.

Not sure, what I did, but I did not have any hdmi issue now for 3 days. I can move my had as I like, I can put on and off the device as I like - nothing. HDMI is just fine.

This morning I got bold trying readjusting the side straps - no issues.
    Even slightly touching and moving the cable at the device doesn't do any harm right now.

What I did was refitting the cable at the HMD a) properly and b) by building a basic strain relief by having a small "wave" in front of the connector.

Maybe it was a faulty cable/divice and the refitting did the trick for now, but I honestly doubt that, since the "wave" is gone by now due to heavy usage and no physical manipulation of the device (including slight!!! squeezing, shaking, tapping) or moving caused an hdmi disconnect for the last 3 days.

I do have a theory though.
    It might have sth. to do with the USB connection! First I tried to reconnect to other USB ports, which did not change anything. After the first reeboot (when the error was gone), the oculus app told me, that the HMD was connected to an USB 2.0, which it was not (it was 3.0). Furthermore the app told me that the sensor was connected to an USB 3.0 but could use an update. After another reboot everything was OK and it got completely recognized as USB 3.0.

Therefore I think it might have sth to do with USB handling of the Rift.

Nevertheless I will do some more in depth testing on the weekend and in the meantime keep the ticket open at Oculus.

I'll keep you informed.

Brain Burst
    Hi Guys from Germany and all the others,

BTW Ich bin aus Köln, also auch Rheinland :)

@Fiege: I really tried a lot. And often I thought, that I got it. In my case for example I can not do lense spacing without reconnections. This was from the beginning. When I used the Rift for the first time and did the setup, I was wondering what the hell is wrong with the lense spacing, But after that it works fine for while better say it was acceptable. But then it was getting worse. Right now it is horrble. My Rift is now 2 months old. 

You got yours on monday. Be happy that we have two years warranty in Europe. I dont't wanna paint the devil on the wall (a German unterstand it ;) ), but be carefull. 

I'm now in contact with the support. I had to made pictures from the pins of the cable. On a very high zoom level you can see, that all pins are ok. So I hope they don't send me a new cable. Like other guys in ths thread mentioned: it is never the cable when your pins are ok. But I'm afraid I get first a new cable and then I get a new rift.

My advice is: If you have problems in the beginning with loosing the hdmi connection, be sure, it is not getting better. Return the rift immedeatly, get your money back and buy later a new one. It is not like Amazon, something is broken and you send it back. You have to proof, that it is not your fault.

Nexus 6
    My CV1 (RMA) arrived at the warehouse in the Netherlands yesterday (good ol' UPS tracking) and nice Oculus support lady said
     "I will do my best to expedite the process, but please keep in mind I have very little control over what happens at the warehouse"
    I guess there's a whole lota CV1's piled up there waiting to be bar-coded and thrown in the skip before i get a brand new thoroughly tested and working one sent back..
    I remain positive... as this has only been 9 days since I first raised a ticket about a hardware issue (-;
    Brain Burst
    But how many hours have you tried and tried to get it work  :p
    Nexus 6
    ^ way too many hours ^ +16 would be an understatement  :p
  • FiegeFiege Posts: 69
    Hiro Protagonist
    edited July 2016
    Small update:

In fact, the error occured again during taking off the HMD after playing Project Cars for about half an hour :/
    But again I wasn't able to reproduce it through physical manipulation including putting the device on and off a couple of times. So I still think Rift has problems with USB handling. Well either that or there really is a loose connection somewhere. But then again, shaking the device would produce the error, wouldn't it?

Although you've probably done all of that:

- Have you checked your USB drivers are up to date?
      I'm using windows 10 and it has a lot of problems with the drivers for USB (and LAN and bluetooth btw.).
      As I connected both, Rift and sensor, to the ASMedia ports on my Asus board, I had a couple of problems in the beginning. The driver wasn't really Rift ready. They've got a beta driver out now which is.

- Are the USB ports configured for XHCI in UEFI/BIOS?

- Are the USB ports configured for not going into power saving mode in Windows device manager?

- have you any other devices connected to the same controller, which might interfere, e.g. printer, webcam, game controllers?
      I have the Oculus (not the XBox Controller) devices connected to the ASMedia controller. Everything else is connected to the Intel controller.

I'll keep you updated.

Brain Burst
    edited July 2016
    ...in my case I don´t need to look at my drivers I´m afraid - even while my system is in standby, I just have to knock at that rift case to see its LED turning off!
    Definately NOT driver related.
    And over that, the more it heatens up, the more those connection errors occur.......

Waiting for the support to RMA my Rift.....
    Brain Burst
    Same for me. Moving or light hitting the rift an it goes off. See my video. You can spend hours and hours for fixing it. And at the end you just waste lifetime. 

If it would be the driver, why it is getting worse? 

I'm really a little upset. It takes too long until you can send it back. First contact four days ago. They have now pictures and the viedo. Now it is forwarded to processing. Keep you updated.
  • VolksheldVolksheld Posts: 22
    Brain Burst
    Hi all i am from Germany too
    and i have exactly the same Problems. Support Ticket is open. For first they told me to check
    the Cabel but this not fix the Issue. I guess next step is they will send me a new Cable? If this not work will they then
    change my Rift?

greetings to all
    Brain Burst
    edited August 2016
    First they aks you for pictures. When you have send them.....wait.....wait....wait.... :'(
    Nexus 6
    Laddi_de said:
    First they aks you for pictures. When you have send them.....wait.....wait....wait.... :'(
    Have you sent them log files described here
    https://forums.oculus.com/community/discussion/33792/how-to-get-logs-for-bug-reports-for-consumer-rift-1-3#latest
    or asked for a refund??

<good luck>
    Brain Burst
    I don't understand why i tooks so long time.
    If they know that some people have this issues
    then send a new Cable and if this not fix the problem then change the Device.
    Brain Burst
    @PIXELATED I read what all you try to fix this issue and nothing helped.
    I don't want check all again on my System.
    I tried my Rift on 2 PC and it is not working.

I wait on the next answer from Support now
    and then I will ask them for a refund.

Brain Burst
    edited August 2016
    If they would give me my money back when I return my rift, I would do that. Very frustrating when your Rift isn't working. I put it back in the case and brought it to the cellar, where I can not see it.

I think a they know, that there is this problem with some Rifts. They try to keep it as cheap as possible for them. First let the cutomer try everything to fix it himself, then let him wait, then give him a cable and at the end give him a new Rift. Hoping that on this way the problem vanishes,

In my case it is so obvious that the Rift is broken. 

This will be the last time I bought something direct from a supplier. It's always better to buy it from Amazon or stores like that, because you don't have to discuss it, when you want it to return. When I would have bought it at Amazon with easy return, I would hve returned it much earlier. 

Sorry for complaining, but my ticket is now open for seven days and the last message is five days ago, Nothing happens....a working Rift is far away...

PS. I'm so happy that I bought nothing in this Oculus store. I bought some software at steam for the Oculus. So I have the chance to reuse it when I switch to another vendor.

Edit: In the meantime I read something about the Oculus Return-Process. Right now you get a new rift immedeatly. Returning and getting a new one will take a month or two. Every returned rift is intensive inspected! And the queue is looooong!  Yeah! Oculus: customer satisfaction! 

They really ask for understanding. Hey, I aks for understanding that I paid 699 Euro for a broken product with really zero service!

I'm done with that. Next time I give my money to a helpful organization or direct to the garbage.
  • cyberealitycybereality Posts: 26,156 Oculus Staff
    Please continue to speak with support. I see your ticket, but it's only been a few days. You'll have to be a little more patient. However, maybe check back with me at the end of the week or next week and I can try to get you an answer if you haven't got a response by then. Thanks.
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
    Brain Burst
    You're kidding! Few days? One week. If I had now the chance to send it back then wait a week and after another week get a new one, it would be acceaptabel. You tell me now to wait another week just to hear from the support? Then maybe get a new cable with no effect. 

A customer with a broken product should be at a hight priority for a company. And if Oculus isn't able to handle all this you should do a better planning. 

I'm thru with Oculus. Maybe I get a new one in a month or two .Then I sell it on Ebay!
  • cyberealitycybereality Posts: 26,156 Oculus Staff
    Yes, I understand. I will speak with the support team about your issue.
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV