Rift loses randomly HDMI connection - Page 4 — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Rift loses randomly HDMI connection

Comments

• Laddi_deLaddi_de Posts: 25
    Brain Burst
    edited August 2016
    Hello SauSack,

Great to hear that there will be one more happy Oculus customer here in our area.

Have you returned your old one.

I'm waiting now for more than two weeks. After four weeks I will contact paypal customer protection. You are so helpless against Oculus and I think waiting four weeks is enough patience.
  • DNACowboyDNACowboy Posts: 180
    Art3mis
    update: I've installed the latest ASUS USb drivers which specifically deal with improving data throughput and stability of the OR and seem to have a far better experience, I recommend anyone with a ASUS mobo grab them asap. The driver number is: Asmedia_USB_Win7-81-10_V116331
    Who is John Galt?
  • uswinuswin Posts: 32
    Brain Burst
    This BUG also occur on my DK2, and this rarely occur before oculus update 1.6, or if I have to be honest, this issue seem to come up since the oculus had ability to auto turn off the HMD. so this screw my playing session, lucky I manage to seem fixed this issue by uninstalling my USB3 controller host driver and make sure all of my USB become USB2, after that I rarely found any HDMI disconnect issue, this issue is not acceptable, and should be fixed in the next oculus home update.

I believe this issue is combination between (VGA driver + Oculus Home update in Auto Turn off/turn on + USB3 driver in motherboard). Big ISSUE
  • PIXELATEDPIXELATED Posts: 240
    Nexus 6
    DNACowboy said:
    update: I've installed the latest ASUS USb drivers which specifically deal with improving data throughput and stability of the OR and seem to have a far better experience, I recommend anyone with a ASUS mobo grab them asap. The driver number is: Asmedia_USB_Win7-81-10_V116331
    I have Asus z170 deluxe and confirm that CV1 and usb driver V1.16.35.1 (April 2016) works running Win10 pro using motherboard (back of case) USB3 ports
    Win 10 Pro, GTX 1080, Asus Z170 Deluxe, Nvidia 391.35
    Brain Burst
    edited August 2016
    In my case I don't thins it is only a driver or software problem. It happens for example when I push or pull the lense spacing on my rift. So it has something to do with a physical impact on the rift. 

My theory is then: They have now a feature that turns off the HMD when it is removed. This wasn't there before? A hardware failure results in auto-turn-off too often. That it is a hardware failure because it is getting worse. This is my experience.
  • silent_wolfsilent_wolf Posts: 24
    Brain Burst
    Two completely unrelated problems showing similar symptoms.. keeps supports' head spinning.. no wonder its taking a while.
    Nexus 6
    To add:
    The only issue here is some users headsets keep connecting then disconnecting... It has nothing to do with USB drivers, it's a hardware issue. Been there, got the t-shirt and now have a replacement working rift.
    All I am pointing out is that changing your usb drivers is futile in the hdmi disconnect thread
  • FiegeFiege Posts: 69
    Hiro Protagonist
    PIXELATED said:
    DNACowboy said:
    I have Asus z170 deluxe and confirm that CV1 and usb driver V1.16.35.1 (April 2016) works running Win10 pro using motherboard (back of case) USB3 ports
    The black and blue ports on the back of your board are Intel USB ports. Only the 3.1 ports are ASMedia and therefore affected by the 1.16.35.1 driver. So if you didn't use the ports between MB and LAN port you used the Intel Z170 ones, which do work.
    Nexus 6
    ^Indeed they do^ cheers (-:
    Hiro Protagonist
    Two completely unrelated problems showing similar symptoms.. keeps supports' head spinning.. no wonder its taking a while.

PIXELATED said:
    To add:
    The only issue here is some users headsets keep connecting then disconnecting... It has nothing to do with USB drivers, it's a hardware issue. Been there, got the t-shirt and now have a replacement working rift.
    All I am pointing out is that changing your usb drivers is futile in the hdmi disconnect thread

I think silent_wolf got it right. From my experience there are software and hardware related issues, causing the HDMI error.
    I've got them both.

I do have a faulty cable but I managed to adjust it in a way, that it works without a flaw (but want it RMAed anyway, Oculus! - it's broken!!!)
    But I also experienced software, i.e. USB related issues. When I quit SteamVR I got the error message, sometimes combined with a Windows USB error message followed by a yellow exclamation mark in device manager. I did everything I could to improve the drivers. No the error occurs rather seldom, usually in SteamVR but not very often.

@PIXELATED: Glad, you finally got a working device. Let's hope, it stays that way. I'm just at the bginning of the RMA process.
    Brain Burst
    For me it hasn't even begun  :'(
    Hiro Protagonist
    Laddi_de said:
    For me it hasn't even begun  :'(

Oh, you've got me wrong, it has not begun for me either! I emailed them all the requested info.
    Sorry for being unprecise about that.

Hang in there, lad!
  • SammazaSammaza Posts: 26
    Brain Burst
    It's your GPU ...Not your HMD.

Your GPU is crashing and it disconnects your HDMI from the Oculus.  Not a problem with the HMD.  It has happened to me a few times and you can see the crash logs.
    Brain Burst
    edited August 2016
    Come on, the GPU crashes when we touch or move our Rift.  :p
    Maybe a faulty Rift crashes the GPU.

Trust me, it is not the GPU.
  • Hi guyz, I too had this problem but  I figure out a 100% sure way to fix it. I notice this happen to me everytime I put my computer to sleep then turn it back on. Go to oculus program > setting> device > rift and make sure the usb say usb 3.0 and not 2.0. I notice mines say 2.0 even though it was hook up to a 3.0. So to fix it I have to unplug the usb, wait a couple of sec and replug it back in. It will change from usb 2.0 back to 3.0. I'm not sure why but everytime I put my computer into sleep mode I have to redo this step cuz it keep reverting back into usb 2.0 even though its plug into an usb 3.0 slot. Everytime when it say 2.0 I would have the hdmi lost connection every few mins but I notice everytime I replug it and change it back to 3.0 the problem completely goes away. Hope this help you guyz out.
    Brain Burst
    There is no way to fix it when your Rift turns off when you move it. Maby in you're case, but not 100%.

I do not have the problem with USB 2.0.

Make a test: Put a paper in front of the sensor so your rift is on. Check if your USB is 2.0. Then hit the Rift gently. When the Rift stops imnedeatly working after touching it, it is our problem. If not yours is different. When your Rift goes off without touching, it is not our oroblem.

Our Rift works for hours if we don't move it.
    Hiro Protagonist
    edited August 2016

yuzuhaz0 said:
    Hi guyz, I too had this problem but  I figure out a 100% sure way to fix it. I notice this happen to me everytime I put my computer to sleep then turn it back on. Go to oculus program > setting> device > rift and make sure the usb say usb 3.0 and not 2.0. I notice mines say 2.0 even though it was hook up to a 3.0. So to fix it I have to unplug the usb, wait a couple of sec and replug it back in. It will change from usb 2.0 back to 3.0. I'm not sure why but everytime I put my computer into sleep mode I have to redo this step cuz it keep reverting back into usb 2.0 even though its plug into an usb 3.0 slot. Everytime when it say 2.0 I would have the hdmi lost connection every few mins but I notice everytime I replug it and change it back to 3.0 the problem completely goes away. Hope this help you guyz out.

My Intaeck card with latest official Fresno Logic drivers as well as my Intel ports sometimes are only recognized as USB 2.0. Never experienced any performance flaw with that, nor does it provoke the error for me, it occurs anyway.

Try deactivating CSM in UEFI, that usually helps fixing the 2.0 problem.

Hiro Protagonist
    Laddi_de said:
    There is no way to fix it when your Rift turns off when you move it. Maby in you're case, but not 100%.

I do not have the problem with USB 2.0.

Make a test: Put a paper in front of the sensor so your rift is on. Check if your USB is 2.0. Then hit the Rift gently. When the Rift stops imnedeatly working after touching it, it is our problem. If not yours is different. When your Rift goes off without touching, it is not our oroblem.

Our Rift works for hours if we don't move it.
    The HMD has to be active to provoke the error, since it is caused by power loss.
    Does it go off, when you just move the cable near the HMD connector as well?
    Brain Burst
    It goes off when I push or pull the cable, when I gently hit the rift or ehen I push or pull the lense spacing. It also happens when I fix the cable.
    Art3mis
    This is madness, I got the Rift after checking the comparability tool which confirmed my USB slots are supported. I have one of the best pc's you can get yet after owning the device for no more than THREE weeks I get disconnects, black screen and thrown to Home with no way back? I may demand a refund as I am starting to think there may have been a bad batch of CV1's as so many are borked.
    Who is John Galt?
    Brain Burst
    Hey, I got the Return-Label!

Now I have a question: Should I retunr everything or just the Headset, wich is broken?
  • cyberealitycybereality Posts: 26,156 Oculus Staff
    @Laddi_de You should return everything if the RMA is for a full replacement.
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
    Brain Burst
    OK, thanks, everything is packed and ready to return!
  • jjkrogsjjkrogs Posts: 52
    Hiro Protagonist
    I finally had to open a ticket on this.  Happens about once per hour for me now, and doesn't seem to be affected by the "allow USB device deactivation" in hardware manager, which I thought was the issue initially.
  • mediavrmediavr Posts: 234
    Art3mis
    I have a problem with sensor not detected and hdmi disconnecting too since 1.7. But the main problem is the sensor not detected. Inateck or PC USB3s I guess it is not possible to download 1.6? Or to set the Rift somehow that you can continue using the Rift without the sensor. Arrgh! Maybe I have to borrow a DK2 from someone to continue working. 
  • cyberealitycybereality Posts: 26,156 Oculus Staff
    Try using USB 2.0.
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
    Art3mis
    Let me get this straight, are the 'HDMI disconnects' a result of the sensor or the hdmi cable/headset?
    Who is John Galt?
    Hiro Protagonist
    DNACowboy said:
    Let me get this straight, are the 'HDMI disconnects' a result of the sensor or the hdmi cable/headset?
    I think most of the people in this thread can confirm that it's the headset (HMD) or its cable.

I'm about to receive a new one soon, got the information from support, hope it fixes it.
  • SauSackSauSack Posts: 28
    Brain Burst
    ......received my new Rift finally today.
    Will report later about HDMI errors, which I hope won't occur again......
  • jjkrogsjjkrogs Posts: 52
    Hiro Protagonist
    SauSack said:
    ......received my new Rift finally today.
    Will report later about HDMI errors, which I hope won't occur again......
    Looking forward to hearing the results.  I just got done going through the "is the power turned on" and "have you reseated the cables" before being sent a link to drivers for hardware I don't even have from customer service (facepalm)

Basically, they have no idea why it's happening.  At least no one on ground level has been told what the issue is.