New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Rift loses randomly HDMI connection

Comments

• SauSackSauSack Posts: 28
    Brain Burst
    ...... first impression:
    Great :smiley:  Works like it should do! NO HDMI errors AT ALL - without changing any other thing.
    BUT:
    1. left screen shows far more red than the other screen
    2. left screen flickers sometimes (looks like tearing) when moving my head vertically ....

Have to look more into it....
  • DNACowboyDNACowboy Posts: 180
    Art3mis
    edited August 2016
    Okay, I have finally had a good result, my card is the Gainward GTX1080 and Nividia have just released new drivers. However ,THIS time, I booted to safe mode using DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller)  and installed the new drivers. Instantly, my problems were gone, no disconnects, the Rift framerate is vastly improved and the OR logs show hardly any entries were before there were literally hundreds, many of which were 'error's, 'tracking problems' and 'hardware health'. Subsequently, I will test over the next few days in the hope the headset remains stable.

It looks to me that many of these 'hdmi disconnects' actually have their root in corrupted drivers and/or registry. 

SauSack said:
    ......received my new Rift finally today.
    Will report later about HDMI errors, which I hope won't occur again......

How'd you get on?
    Who is John Galt?
  • muskeymuskey Posts: 13
    NerveGear
    edited August 2016
    Ok i have had the 2 problems that people have experienced  ( hdmi lead visable pin dammage, usb3 not compatible)  ,not had the 3rd beinig faulty unit i THINK . I have tried everything and i could only play for 5 mins at a time, i bought the usb3 card recommended, oculus sent me a new lead and it was still dropping ,but i just done EXACTLY as above post DNACowboy did and bang just been playing for 30mins ,so happy i had to come here to let u guys know ....trust me i tried everything so ask and il keep an eye here to help out ...........

TLDR  Do a full clean installation

I booted to safe mode using DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller)  and installed the new drivers. Instantly, my problems were gone, no disconnects

PS   Do a full clean install after. gl

EDIT dont forget to run compatibility tool my motherboard had incompatible etron usb controllers ( i just disabled them)and that got rid of yellow triangle in the compatibillity tool.
  • memorganmemorgan Posts: 25
    Brain Burst
    edited August 2016
    I have had my rift for about 6 weeks now, but I only had time to get it set up about 10-12 days ago. I too am seeing HDMI disconnect issues.  My PC is in excess of the recommended spec, I bought the USB 3 card that Oculus recommend, but still have these problems.  One thing that seems to be common is how slow support is.  I think, if I were a small company with this level of support demand, my response to individual customers  would be slow too.  I havent reported my problems yet, if its a problem with the hardware, theres enough evidence here to prove an inherent fault, and thus get it swapped out/refunded or worse case, charged back.  If its software, Im sure theres enough experience between this forum and Oculus to get it sorted out.  One thing is for certain, I have enough stress in my life that allows a level of perspective to be applied.  This isnt going to kill me, make me ill or hurt the people around me.  It will get sorted out, just not as quickly as most of us want. The short periods I have used this tech has confirmed for me that Im sticking with Oculus, teething issues and all.  Though I may just hold off replacing my 970 for a 1080...just for the time being ;-)

EDIT: Having just seen the above post, when I get home this weekend, will give what DNACowboy suggest a whirl...will post results one way or t'other.

• YbalridYbalrid Posts: 248
    Art3mis
    Okay so, I'm just back here to tell that my HDMI problem got worse and I got systematic disconnect. So I opened a ticket with the support. and they asked for the box's serial number (not the headset one you see through the software) and the zip with all the logs.

I'm sure the problem is hardware, I got a disconnect when I handle the device, specially while holding it from the left side, and sometimes just by moving my head from right to left.

Well, everything that put a bit of stress to the left side of the rift.

The cable has no problem and I can move it all I want without causing a disconnect.

Well, let's see how stuff will go, I hope support will launch the replacement procedure quickly ^^" (I have a DK2 in a closet if I really need a HMD that works reliably. But the CV1 is so much nicer that I don't even want to touch the DK2... )
    CV1+Touch; Running on GTX980 - 4770K - 32GB DDR3

I'm writing a C++ open-sourcre game engine for the Rift http://annwvyn.org/ - https://github.com/Ybalrid/Annwvyn
    For now it's only used for my student projects at my engineering school http://en.esiea.fr/
  • silent_wolfsilent_wolf Posts: 24
    Brain Burst
    Just wanted to share that I returned my CV1 to retailer for refund.. bought another one and this one is working fine.. no disconnects when putting on or applying slight force on the goggle. 

Although I still have the slight horizontal tilt to the left still.. but less than my previous CV1

Sensor has been disconnecting on this new unit but I think thats because on the new firmware.
  • muskeymuskey Posts: 13
    NerveGear
    Mine is definitely  better but still testing atm will know fully in a day or 2,,,qk tip about sensor im almost 100% sure that is usb driver problem. my asrock motherboard with the etron usb controller is paired with a 2500k cpu,i was reading in the asrock update page that i might need a more up to date cpu to allow the usb's to function at full speed ,im not so sure that is the problem thow .Atm im wondering if it is actually my pc with older cpu/usb hub combo that is causing the problems or the rift itself  ,i have spent so much time now trying to sort this, between buying new usb hardware and time spent i am at the last chance saloon with it all .........to be continued.
  • JeepyBJeepyB Posts: 19
    NerveGear
    I have the issue as well. After the rift has been running for 10min or so, the slightest touch makes it disconnect and go black. I have opened a ticket as well.. :/ Not cool.
  • PIXELATEDPIXELATED Posts: 242
    Nexus 6
    edited August 2016
    JeepyB said:
    I have the issue as well. After the rift has been running for 10min or so, the slightest touch makes it disconnect and go black. I have opened a ticket as well.. :/ Not cool.
    Not sure if your issues are the same as mine exactly but review some of the posts I have made on this forum and you might be as luckey as me in getting a replacement - it'll take a while but eventually you'll be looked after.

https://forums.oculus.com/community/discussion/comment/419552/#Comment_419552
    or
    https://forums.oculus.com/community/discussion/comment/423591/#Comment_423591

<good luck>
    Win 10 Pro, GTX 1080, Asus Z170 Deluxe, Nvidia 391.35
    Brain Burst
    edited August 2016
    Well.. as it turns out I am still getting

1) HMD disconnects.. but not from putting on or applying force on the goggles like I had before. On Intel USB3.
    2) Sensor disconnects.. moved from USB3 to USB2 and now its not disconnecting but still some kind of hiccup

The Horizontal Left Tilt now fixed by recalibrating IMU using the tool from support.. although not 100% but I live on high rise condo.. so that might have some affects on the gyros.. as it did on my DJI drones. It could be the iron beam in the build structure causing some interference to gyros and accelerometer.. not sure..

Running Oculus Home 1.7 (also the updated firmware)
    Windows 10 Pro Anniversary
    GTX 1080 (nvidia 372.54)
    ASRock X99M Killer 3.1 (bios v3.5)

my detailed build here if it helps.. 
    http://pcpartpicker.com/b/wQTH99

• FiegeFiege Posts: 69
    Hiro Protagonist
    Well.. as it turns out I am still getting

1) HMD disconnects.. but not from putting on or applying force on the goggles like I had before. On Intel USB3.

Sounds familiar! I got my replacement cable a couple of days ago, which seems to have solved the hardware related disconnects. I occasionally get disconnects which seem to be software (USB) related. Why is that?

a) Disconnects only occur in third party applications, i.e. SteamVR or Flyinside.
    b) Disconnects only occur after shutting down those 3rd party applications.
    c) Disconnects sometimes lead to HMD being recognized as USB 2.0 afterwards although it's on 3.0 port.

I also have Intel (Z170) USB ports and they don't work as rock solid as one might expect.

Here are some measures I took to minimize and eventually got rid of the disconnects:

1) Disable all USB powersaving options in device manager AND Windows energy options (make sure you disable it for all profiles!)
    2) Disable CSM (compatibility support module) in UEFI. From my experience this is the main cause for USB related problems. Before you disbale it, make sure you don't need it for legacy devices or keyboards, etc (you usually don't)
    3) Make sure you have the BEST drivers for your USB controller. Best driver? You mean latest! No, I don't! There are some really helpful threads about USB compatability on reddit.

For instance: I'm using the Inateck card (KTU3FR-4P) right now, since my Intel ports were - as mentioned - a bit unstable. I' using the drivers, which came with Windows 10. You'll get a warning and the "please update to latest Fresco Logic drivers" message in Oculus home, but you should ignore that. The Win10 drivers are far more stable than the latest FL drivers. Since then btw. I didn't have one disconnect.

Oh yes, if you are using a 7 port (5 on the back + two onborad) Inateck card, make sure you only use the three ports closest to your motherboard, since only those are connected to the Fresco Logic controller!

• xSTONEMANxxSTONEMANx Posts: 195
    Art3mis
    I used to get the HDMI is disconnected issue when I first got the rift and used the recommended inateck card I stopped using the inateck card for the HDMI and sensor and have had no issues in almost 3 months.
    Art3mis
    Okay, I give up I have tried absolutely everything:

1: cleaned out old gfx drivers in safe mode and installed latest: fail
    2: cleaned up old usb drivers in safe mode and installed latest: fail
    3: re-installed latest OR software: fail
    4: disabled XHCI in bios: fail
    5: changed power saving to 'disabled': fail
    6: reset hdm cable: fail
    7: reset sensor and reset view multiple times: fail
    8: purchased a externally powered usb 3.0 hub: fail
    9: re-installed all VR games and apps: fail
    10: ran integrity checks on drives: fail

My research suggests the problem has been incorrect LED configuration at the factory and Oculus know it as they are asking about certain batch numbers.

Who is John Galt?
  • falken76falken76 Posts: 2,877 Valuable Player
    This thread is concerning.  I bought an Oculus rift from Amazon and it is here right now.  I bought a Gtx 970 card to use with this HMD from Newegg.  They both arrived on the same day, but I'm done with newegg now since they sent me a dead card and gave me a hard time on a return while expecting me to be cool with not getting my shipping money back for their POS DOA delivery.  Now I have no way to test this rift because I have to wait weeks to get money back from newegg so I can buy the card from Amazon.  I have no way to know if this cord is effecting mine as well, if I can't get a new card to use this am I out of luck if there is an issue when I finally have money to pay for a working card that newegg didn't provide for me?
    NerveGear
    Oh God I think am at my 10th email with support. I really think they have no clue what so ever with wt* is going on with the (disconnect after touching warm headset) issue. They made me take pictures, I sent them logs, told them I tried everything on this thread and now they want to send me a new cable. I swapped cables with a friend this morning the issue was still there. His headset works fine on my machine. Clearly my headset is busted and the cable isn't the issue. I should've bought a vive -_-
    Brain Burst
    edited August 2016
    Just wanted to update on my issue..

I had my HMD on the top port of my motherboard intel USB3 and I was getting disconnects, so I decided wth.. I swapped my HMD to the USB3 port below it.. and now.. no more HMD disconnects. Had many over 30min session without any disconnects now.

So..

1) Problem HMD disconnect when applying slight force on goggle or putting on goggle - SOLUTION - I returned for refund and purchase a new unit.

2) Problem HMD disconnect even when the unit is stationary - SOLUTION for some reason it worked.. I just swapped from using the motherboard top USB3 port to bottom USB3 port

3) Problem Sensor disconnect - SOLUTION cyber said to use USB2 port as temporary and now its more stable than the required USB3 with no disconnects.

4) Problem Horizontal left tilt - SOLUTION recalibrate with support tool.

NOTE- I have never had to configure any power options for my USB.. its all on default. My Windows 10 is on default setting on everything. My motherboard runs full UEFI bios with no CSM. My HMD is connected direct to HDMI on my GTX 1080 with no adaptors etc. 

My CV1 is now stable enough to play and enjoy without any unpleasant surprises. but still need much optimization to be butter smooth and true plug and play without fiddling.

• neddycgoonneddycgoon Posts: 50
    Brain Burst
    I dont think my issue with the HDMI disconnect is related but an active HDMI extension solved the problem for me.The HMD would randomly dis and re-connect during play but has been fine since the active extension was whacked in.Just got lucky I suppose.
  • N0VA_9N0VA_9 Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    I solved this by having only the rift connected to my GPU, nothing else.
  • ravelution5ravelution5 Posts: 9
    NerveGear
    up
    Art3mis
    Breakthrough: I disabled the Asmedia controller on my Asus X99A, since then not one single disconnect or error report in the log. However, every other time I have posted what I believed to be a working solution it came back and bit me on my backside, with this in mind I will keep you guys updated as I know only to well how heartbreaking this bs is.
    Who is John Galt?
  • NeoEdoNeoEdo Posts: 47
    Brain Burst
    DNACowboy said:
    Breakthrough: I disabled the Asmedia controller on my Asus X99A, since then not one single disconnect or error report in the log. However, every other time I have posted what I believed to be a working solution it came back and bit me on my backside, with this in mind I will keep you guys updated as I know only to well how heartbreaking this bs is.
    You sound like me, man. I'm on that same routine...

Just when I think, "okay, that must've been the issue"; A few days later, "Surprise! "The HDMI cable has been disconnected.".

It's actually making it difficult to work with support as well. One day I'm telling them, "This shit doesn't work". The
    next day I'm telling them, "hey, so far so good". Only to return the following day with, "This shit doesn't work...again."

So aggravating. I received my Rift on August 1st. The month is almost over and I've managed to only "beta test" the rift at this point. Good to know I paid $630.00 to test a "consumer product". Arghhh~ (>_<)#
    NerveGear
    NeoEdo said:
    So aggravating. I received my Rift on August 1st. The month is almost over and I've managed to only "beta test" the rift at this point. Good to know I paid $630.00 to test a "consumer product". Arghhh~ (>_<)#
    Exactly. I feel like I am a tester with the amount of shit they asked me to do so far. If my headset is broken, why not take it back and test it themselves ? Or at the very least put me on their payroll if they want me to send them logs and make videos for them -_-. I paid a premium price for VR and all it is doing for me right now is wasting me time every night having to provide them more proof that their shit is already broken. 
    Brain Burst
    Just wanted to update on my issue..

I had my HMD on the top port of my motherboard intel USB3 and I was getting disconnects, so I decided wth.. I swapped my HMD to the USB3 port below it.. and now.. no more HMD disconnects. Had many over 30min session without any disconnects now.

So..

1) Problem HMD disconnect when applying slight force on goggle or putting on goggle - SOLUTION - I returned for refund and purchase a new unit.

2) Problem HMD disconnect even when the unit is stationary - SOLUTION for some reason it worked.. I just swapped from using the motherboard top USB3 port to bottom USB3 port

3) Problem Sensor disconnect - SOLUTION cyber said to use USB2 port as temporary and now its more stable than the required USB3 with no disconnects.

4) Problem Horizontal left tilt - SOLUTION recalibrate with support tool.

NOTE- I have never had to configure any power options for my USB.. its all on default. My Windows 10 is on default setting on everything. My motherboard runs full UEFI bios with no CSM. My HMD is connected direct to HDMI on my GTX 1080 with no adaptors etc. 

My CV1 is now stable enough to play and enjoy without any unpleasant surprises. but still need much optimization to be butter smooth and true plug and play without fiddling.

I've finally solved my HMD disconnects.. I can use both top and bottom USB3 ports now..also my sensor is now connected to asmedia USB3.1 port with no problems at all.

My motherboard had an extra molex connector near the pci slot to provide more juice to the motherboard.. since the problem seems to be power problem so I decided to give it a go.. plugged an extra molex to the motherboard and now no more disconnects, I can use both ports on the motherboard now. I will do further test with HMD on Asmedia USB3.1 ports and see if thats been solved too.
  • FiegeFiege Posts: 69
    Hiro Protagonist

I've finally solved my HMD disconnects.. I can use both top and bottom USB3 ports now..also my sensor is now connected to asmedia USB3.1 port with no problems at all.

My motherboard had an extra molex connector near the pci slot to provide more juice to the motherboard.. since the problem seems to be power problem so I decided to give it a go.. plugged an extra molex to the motherboard and now no more disconnects, I can use both ports on the motherboard now. I will do further test with HMD on Asmedia USB3.1 ports and see if thats been solved too.
    I'm also pretty sure that a lot of disconnects are caused by bad USB power handling.

For instance:
    1. I quite often get a disconnect when I put sth. into or pull sth. out of a USB port, i.e. a game controller.

2. When I do get a disconnect, the USB most of the time gets pretty messed up for me, like HMD is only recognized on a USB 2.0 afterwards, yellow warning signs in device manager, etc. This sometimes heals itself but usually I have to disconnect HMD, deinstall the device in device manager, reconnect everything and reboot.

3. I had my ASMediaUSB 3.0 controller disabled all the time with HMD and sensor connected to Intel ports. As soon as I reenabled my ASMedia controller in UEFI, the HMD switched from Intel USB 3.0 to 2.0 by itself with a yellow warning sign in device manager.

4. I also get the same behaviour if the HMD is connected to the Inteck PCI card's ports.

I did so many things to make it better so far. I disabled every USB powersaving option, disabled CSM, legacy support, disconnected any fancy USB device, e.g. substituted my gaming keyboard with a simple Microsoft USB keyboard. All made it a bit better, but from time to time I still get disconnects, mostly when I use third party software like SteamVR.

One striking thing is: After I got a disconnect, the HMD turns pretty unstable and I get disconnects through moving the device (put on/off, shaking my head). After I fixed all the yellow warnings and USB 2.0 recognition stuff, the HMD works solid again for a while.

I think that Rift's USB handling, especially power draining, is pretty messed up and highly depending on which motherboard and peripherals one uses.

Here are my specs:

Asus Maximus VIII Formula
     USB: Intel Z170 / ASMedia on board. Fresco Logic (Inateck card KTU3FR-4P)
    Intel i7 6700k
    16 GB Ram
    GTX 1080

• YbalridYbalrid Posts: 248
    Art3mis
    My problem is definitively hardware related, headset gets hot (sometimes) and when it's hot the HDMI connection is super instable and prone to break the link when I touch the left side of the unit, or just move my head with too much joy while tracking an enemy ship in Eve or Elite :p

So after messaging the support explaining the problem 08/18, I just got a shipping label to return it for a new one this morning (08/24).

I have to drop the package in an UPS collection point, I think there's one in a video club (yes, they apparently still exist) at 10 minutes of my home, but it opens at 3PM. And I need some extra packing material anyway so I don't know if I'll drop it today or tomorrow.

The person on the support site tell that there's an estimated 8 ~ 10 business day between when I send mine back and when I will get the new one...

CV1+Touch; Running on GTX980 - 4770K - 32GB DDR3

I'm writing a C++ open-sourcre game engine for the Rift http://annwvyn.org/ - https://github.com/Ybalrid/Annwvyn
    For now it's only used for my student projects at my engineering school http://en.esiea.fr/
    Art3mis
    edited August 2016
    Update 3: FIXED (entirely stable for 4 days with no log errors and no disconnects)

Solution:

1:Disable ASMEDIA controller in device manager. 
    2: USB power saving to DISABLED

motherboard: ASUS X99A 

update: new Asmedia drivers out: Asmedia_USB3_V116351

I will test and report back.

edit. check this out: two days worth of errors :

=============
    LOG ANALYSIS
    =============

[Service_2016-08-24_11.57.29.txt] 24/08 11:57:33.728 {!ERROR!} [OafDataStore] Missing fragment for object field windows_min_spec
    [Service_2016-08-24_11.57.29.txt] 24/08 13:06:03.836 {!ERROR!} [Registry] Failed to read selected Oculus default language tag.
    [Service_2016-08-23_20.57.58.txt] 23/08 20:58:09.008 {!ERROR!} [Kernel:Error] Camera frame truncated
    [Service_2016-08-23_20.57.58.txt] 23/08 20:58:09.315 {!ERROR!} [Kernel:Error] Camera frame truncated

compared to:

thats just HALF the log entries from before I disabled the ASSmedia drivers

edit. problem is back, this is completely unacceptable.

Who is John Galt?
  • VileeeVileee Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    Vileee said:
    I have exactly same problem! Hdmi disconnect very often when i'll take Oculus away from head. I have reseated cable few times and it wont help either. I ordered mine 19.7 from their webshop.

Yesterday they asked me to update usb & gpu drivers, but the problem is still there :(
    Finally got new unit back from Oculus and no HDMI problems so far. Hopefully i don't need to make any posts on this topic anymore.
    Art3mis
    edited August 2016
    Nope, problem back with a hundred 'hardware health' errors being reported following time with DCS. That's it, UPS collect on Tuesday.
    Who is John Galt?
  • nalex66nalex66 Posts: 4,927 Volunteer Moderator
    I just got the HDMI disconnect for the first time today (I've had my Rift since May). I fired up Oculus Home to download something, didn't touch the Rift at all, and I started getting the "HDMI disconnected" error message every couple minutes.

I exited Oculus Home, then put the Rift on--it started up, then the screen went black during the "look at the warning box to dismiss it" bit. After that, I managed to play around in a VR app for an hour with no issues, but it disconnected again a couple times after I took the Rift off and put it down.

The cable seems to be firmly connected to the HMD, but I pulled out the face ring, unplugged and replugged the cable to be sure. Hopefully it's just a glitchy software thing or a driver issue--I guess I'll see how it goes over the next little while.

I hope Oculus gets a hardware section up on the store soon--it would be nice if we could just buy a new cable (if that turns out to be the problem) without going through a support ticket.
    i7 5820K @ 4.25 GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32 GB | Corsair HX 750W
    Corsair Hydro H100i | Samsung SSDs: 860 Evo 1 TB, 850 Evo 1 TB, 840 Evo 1 TB | Seagate BarraCuda HDD 3 TB
  • Laddi_deLaddi_de Posts: 25
    Brain Burst
    edited August 2016
    Hi,

were on holidays and my replacement rift arrives now. Connected everything, started my PC and used the Rift for 15 Minutes without any problem. My Rift before doesn't even work for more then a minute at the end.

So my problem was hardware related and it seems to be solved. When I have tested more I will give an update here. 

For the people waiting for a replacement: From the first contect to get a new rift it tooks exact one month.