cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alternative to Redirected Walking

Anonymous
Not applicable
An interesting technique to create the illusion of infinite virtual spaces in a finite physical space.

http://phys.org/news/2013-04-virtual-reality-team-infinite-environments.html
4 REPLIES 4

tbraga14
Honored Guest
+1

Walking has always been a millenium VR problem. Good to see advances on.

jwilkins
Explorer
Reminds me of the experience I had at the Spy Museum in Washington DC. One of the museums features is a simulated spy mission that is part ride, part video game, part community theater, part playing cowboys and Indians, and part reality TV show (sorry, not sure how to describe being a full grown man pretending to be a spy in an elaborate set).

The thing about it was that the set has to be rather small, but it is claustrophobic and twisty, so you get lost in it. Even though this was a few months ago, it made me think about how VR experiences could be made similarly. The cool thing is that the set at the Spy Museum is physically possible but still rather impressive. Virtual Sets are impossible, but take advantage of the same ability for people to be completely "lost" indoors, but not really know they are lost 🙂
(╯°□°)╯︵┻━┻

Anonymous
Not applicable
That sounds very cool, I'll have to check it out if I ever make it to DC.

cybereality
Grand Champion
Interesting technique, but it actually seems more limiting than the standard redirected walking. For example, with this system it would not allow you to walk in a "straight" line for any significant distance. It would also have problems working with static content, like a pre-built world or existing games. Still interesting, though.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV