cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

If you don't coil the headset cord correctly, your Rift will not last much?

VRfriend2016X
Protege
I saw some youtube by an electrician stating that it's important to correctly coil. He had a tutorial. I tried to follow it but coudln't. So my CV1 cable is not greatly coiled. Will it break?
5 REPLIES 5

VRfriend2016X
Protege
No he wasn't talking about CV1 oculus rift, but was talking about cables in general

Anonymous
Not applicable
The key to coiling any cable is to avoid strain on the cable.  Therefore, do NOT:

-Wrap the cord over your arm
-Wrap it tightly around your hand or other object
-Fold it
-Crease it

Just simply coil it into a low-stress circle or loop, at least 6" in diameter.  Or you can 'figure 8' it.  The key is to just not apply undue stresses to the cable.  Don't worry about it too much, as long as you aren't wrapping it so tightly that it begins to curl unnaturally on its own, you're probably just fine.  (I leave mine on the floor in front of my computer with the slack simply pushed under my chassis stand - I have a good 2-3 inches under my chassis for clearance)

Hanover
Rising Star
I just stuck a couple of Command hooks to the side of my pc and hang the loosely coiled wire on them when I'm not using my PC.

GenetixStudio
Superstar
Always good to start coiling from the source also - don't coild it from the ends of the cables, but from the headset itself.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Always good to start coiling from the source also - don't coild it from the ends of the cables, but from the headset itself.

Excellent point, spot on.