cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A PEGI Rating for Motion Sickness?

Syaoranoni
Honored Guest
Rated E for Extremely Nauseating

This seems like the kind of thing we would need on games in the future, to encourage developers to polish their games and get a wider audience.

It sounds funny, but do you think this would have any use?
Oh, the brutal wait until Christmas. Downloading leagues of demos to make the wait less agonising.
7 REPLIES 7

Grammernatzi
Honored Guest
Possibly a disclaimer or the like. A lot of games cause motion sickness without VR (Descent, for example), but have no warning or such. It really is a trial-and-error thing, but generally not considered something serious enough to warn about.

jweaver
Heroic Explorer
"Syaoranoni" wrote:

This seems like the kind of thing we would need on games in the future, to encourage developers to polish their games and get a wider audience.

Someone said this a few months back and even came up with some logos and categories.. But he was shot down!

yuanxiaoyu
Honored Guest
how do you propose a standarlized way for rating?
ie. this game may be nauseating to one person, but not the next

Jose
Heroic Explorer
"jweaver" wrote:
"Syaoranoni" wrote:

Someone said this a few months back and even came up with some logos and categories.. But he was shot down!

I remember that thread. Does anyone have a link to it? I tried searching but I don't know which keywords to use. I don't remember which sub forum it was in.

MrGeddings
Explorer
heh well more of a joke i think PEGI is only interested in game content how it relates to being apporpate for certian age groups

and i think the rift sickness depends on the person.......i have none. i guess im lucky that rarely get any motion sickness (well i would hate actual rollercoasters and what) but i dont get motion sickness in games or in VR currently thankfully

🙂

Syaoranoni
Honored Guest
But there are definitely games that trigger a similar response in most players.

Half Life 2 has made many people dizzy / sick.
Oh, the brutal wait until Christmas. Downloading leagues of demos to make the wait less agonising.

Nekto2
Superstar
It is very person depended.
Instead you could make logos like:
- game uses correct config settings for IPD and lens from OculusConfig Profile
- game supports head-on-stick camera model
- game is slow-motion
- game is action, but mostly in 2D, not 3D space (like Descent or flight sim) - that means you are not turned upside down there
etc.

Also it could be possible that user hardware speed is adding to motion sickness.