New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Right-side headphone stopped functioning.

TeirdalinTeirdalin Posts: 6
NerveGear
Hello Oculus, I got my rift earlier this week from Bestbuy, and this morning when I put it on I noticed the audio on the right side was cutting in and out till it eventually stopped working all together. I imagine it has to do with the wiring inside as it seems to depend on how tight it is on my head.  Anyways; I don't have a clue about fixing things like this, so I was wondering if you could give any advice on what to do..   Thanks, I really love this product and it just isn't the same with only one side having audio. x_x

Comments

• GoobersGoobers Posts: 294
    Art3mis
    It's most likely a loose connection inside the HMD near where it comes out into the strap.

Contact support... You'll probably end up having to send it to them.
  • TeirdalinTeirdalin Posts: 6
    NerveGear
    Ugh, that's so disappointing.   RIP VR for however long that process might take.
  • cyberealitycybereality Posts: 26,156 Oculus Staff
    Try removing it, blowing on the connection, and reattaching (sounds silly, but I've fixed this same problem like that). You can remove the headphone piece using the little black screw-driver that comes in the box. See if that helps.
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
    NerveGear
    "Try removing it, blowing on the connection, and reattaching (sounds silly, but I've fixed this same problem like that). You can remove the headphone piece using the little black screw-driver that comes in the box. See if that helps."

Alright, just tried it; same thing.  Didn't know these come off so easily, that's pretty cool.  Seems to randomly flicker on/off while adjusting the strap.
    NerveGear
    edited July 2016
    Well; I sent a support ticket in,  I guess worst case scenario is I could probably just take off the headphones as they come off pretty easily and just get some new headphones to wear over the rift, but I don't imagine that to be very comfy for VR; and would just be a whole new cable to worry about.
    NerveGear
    Not sure why it takes them so long to "look into" why the wiring inside the headphone would be bad, anyone know if bestbuy does replacements on Oculus Rift?  Never really shopped there before now.
  • Jackrabbit710Jackrabbit710 Posts: 23
    Brain Burst
    This has just started happening to me. no sound out the right one! any fix?
  • lairyboylairyboy Posts: 34
    Brain Burst
    If it's less than week old I would take it back to Best Buy for a replacement.
  • bolodbolod Posts: 2
    I have the same problem with my CV1 bought from Bestbuy too ! The right-side headphone cuts in and out, but it doesn't seem to be linked with the set position in my head. It happens randomly. Please, help me ! It breaks all VR experience...
  • Dami_ValortonDami_Valorton Posts: 5
    NerveGear
    A temp fix is to make another set of headphones your default and just wear them over the headset.
  • spaghettimonsterspaghettimonster Posts: 8
    NerveGear
    mine has it too.
    its not constant, I suspect its a driver problem.
  • MrPark94MrPark94 Posts: 144
    Hiro Protagonist
    I have the same problem.. But its not constantst.
    The most od the time it works
    But sometimes only left channel audio
  • AbnormaliaAbnormalia Posts: 159 Oculus Start Member
    Happened to mine as well recently. Readjusting stripe in and out sometimes helps to restore contact by finding sweet spot. Is there any guide how to fix this?
  • cbarishcbarish Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    I went to support; they recommended that I tighten the (plastic?) screw that holds the earpiece to the headband. I backed it off a quarter-turn, tightened it to taste, and it's worked well ever since.
    Did not helped me. For now found sweet spot and trying not to more head strips much.
  • birkbirk Posts: 95
    Hiro Protagonist
    happened to me too on the right side, but hasn't happened again after i tried to tighten the screw that holds the headphone
    edited November 2016
    It work better when I have it loose. Once I'm making 2-3 turns of screw it starts failing. Seems I have to go with external headphones. Why do not make normal jack for those esp if that interface is so fragile ?
  • HeVeNyHeVeNy Posts: 40
    Brain Burst
    Got the same thing going on now with my left speaker. Tightenin and loosening the screw randomly seems to sort it out but it comes back. Also seems to be related to adjusting the side headstraps and the HMD alltogether. :/
  • Th3EdgeTh3Edge Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Exacly the same has happened to mine as the post above right side and headstrap has an effect also. Bought mine as a pre-order from Oculus. NOT HAPPY .
  • John_HugoJohn_Hugo Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Same thing here. Unit is only a few months old. It should be sturdier since so many games involve head movement. I did not buy mine in a store buy directly from Oculus, so I don't know what to do. I am so bummed.
  • WilkorWilkor Posts: 29
    Brain Burst
    John_Hugo said:
    Same thing here. Unit is only a few months old. It should be sturdier since so many games involve head movement. I did not buy mine in a store buy directly from Oculus, so I don't know what to do. I am so bummed.
    Same thing just happened to me. I bought my headset directly from Oculus in October. Right headphone stops working when I move or adjust it in any way and it's hard to get it back to work. Srange, as I do nothing intensive with my headset, I play mostly iRacing and other driving games, not moving my head much, I don't adjust straps at all, I'm the only one using my Rift, I never droped it, I never detached headphones from the Rift untill today.
  • damiengavarddamiengavard Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Same problem here. Just happened after few minutes using it :-o
  • BelgorBelgor Posts: 21
    Brain Burst
    I had same problem a few weeks ago, but tightening the screw fixed it for good.
  • firecopyfirecopy Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Getting the same problem as SimonVDH. Tightening the screw did not help.
  • BretonBreton Posts: 86
    Hiro Protagonist
    Sound disappeared on right earphone yesterday. noticed the screw was turned vertical. fastened it to it stopped moving and now  the sound is back!...  :)
  • cyberealitycybereality Posts: 26,156 Oculus Staff
    Awesome!
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
  • BBZ149BBZ149 Posts: 30
    Brain Burst
    Mine just lost the Left Speaker. If I loosen the straps its fine or if I adjust the Right strap the audio comes back!! Are the speakers connected via a runner or cable for the Audio?
  • jumblijumbli Posts: 211 Oculus Start Member
    Mine is having this problem too on the right speaker. Disconnecting / reconnecting didn't help. Tightening the screw didn't help. Moving the strap backwards and forwards makes it come and go. Is there anything else we can try to fix it at home rather than return it for repair?
    Developer of Dimensional, The Relentless, Breath Tech, Jigsaw 360
    View my dev blog at JumbliVR.com
  • BBZ149BBZ149 Posts: 30
    Brain Burst

There is a design problem with either a Ribbon Cable or contacts inside the Strap on a runner that makes contact in the Strap! Unfortunately you will have to go through the long winded RMA process and be asked have you checked this, that and everything else when there is clearly a problem inside the Strap!!

There will be more People having this same problem in the future unless they come up with a proper fix!!! My unit is going back but I can see this happening again unless they address the problem! If it goes again after repair ill just use my Bluetooth Headphones as I’ve been doing for the last Week till it goes off for repair.

• DIABLOXDIABLOX Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    I also have this problem now. Its 100% a loose connection, only on the right side - didnt detach the speakers, just once now to check if they are tight enough on the rift, yeah.. great.. wtf is this, this hardware is 2 roughly 2 months old, i also have problems with my 1 month old touch controller. Left trigger makes so loud sounds, and i know i´m not the only one with the exact problems - it´s a design fail!