Right-side headphone stopped functioning. - Page 2 — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Right-side headphone stopped functioning.

Comments

• BBZ149BBZ149 Posts: 30
    Brain Burst
    Well this one is going back next week, had to pack the complete unit with controllers ETC and a complete new unit will be sent back, well I hope it's new and not a recon unit and hopefully they have made changes to the internal Headphones connectors in the Strap! or it's just going to happen again and again!!
  • VolksheldVolksheld Posts: 22
    Brain Burst
    Exactly the same Problem here .Right Speaker have no sound . :(((((
  • KillCardKillCard Posts: 1,078
    Wintermute
    edited February 2017
    I hope a 3rd party will learn how to repair this issue and post a youtube video about it. Warranty doesn't last forever and I have a feeling there is going to be a lot of people with 1-sided audio in about 6-months who will be unable to RMA.
    Brain Burst
    edited February 2017
    KillCard said:
    I hope a 3rd party will learn how to repair this issue and post a youtube video about it. Warranty doesn't last forever and I have a feeling there is going to be a lot of people with 1-sided audio in about 6-months who will be unable to RMA.
    We are lucky in Europe for once! as we have a 2 Year warranty! I would have been happy to pull this apart myself to repair it, but not while under warranty, also if you need parts your stuffed unless Oculus start to sell parts! Hopefully before the 2 Year warranty is up they will release an Oculus CV2 with better LCD's as ill be ordering one straight away!!

I do hope this problem with the design has been fixed, not like they will ever admit there was a problem and say it's now been rectified!!

• mbze430mbze430 Posts: 567
    Trinity
    I had to send mine in as well.  Pulling and retracting the right band would crackle the right speaker and sometimes it would work again.  Something with the wiring in the band I'd imagine.
    i7-6900k @ 4.4ghz | Kingston Hyper 64GB DDR4 @ 3000mhz | SLI Nvidia Titan Xp | ASUS Strix Gaming X99 | Samsung 950 Pro 512GB PCIe/NVMe | 3x Samsung Pro 850 512GB RAID0 | 2x Samsung Pro 850 1TB RAID1 | Corsair AX1500i | Custom Water Cooling | Thermaltake Core X5
  • mbze430mbze430 Posts: 567
    Trinity
    edited February 2017
    BBZ149 said:
    Well this one is going back next week, had to pack the complete unit with controllers ETC and a complete new unit will be sent back, well I hope it's new and not a recon unit and hopefully they have made changes to the internal Headphones connectors in the Strap! or it's just going to happen again and again!!
    it will be "Manufacture Refurbished" but it will look pretty good though
    i7-6900k @ 4.4ghz | Kingston Hyper 64GB DDR4 @ 3000mhz | SLI Nvidia Titan Xp | ASUS Strix Gaming X99 | Samsung 950 Pro 512GB PCIe/NVMe | 3x Samsung Pro 850 512GB RAID0 | 2x Samsung Pro 850 1TB RAID1 | Corsair AX1500i | Custom Water Cooling | Thermaltake Core X5
    Brain Burst
    mbze430 said:
    BBZ149 said:
    it will be "Manufacture Refurbished" but it will look pretty good though
    Cheers for the info, hope its in mint condition like the one I sent back or wont be happy!!
  • cyberealitycybereality Posts: 26,156 Oculus Staff
    Real sorry your had this experience. You should reach out to support regarding this issue.
    https://support.oculus.com/
    If you are under warranty, it's no problem to get a replacement ear-phone or even a new headset. Thanks.
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
  • smithy_sfcsmithy_sfc Posts: 89
    Hiro Protagonist
    cbarish said:
    I went to support; they recommended that I tighten the (plastic?) screw that holds the earpiece to the headband. I backed it off a quarter-turn, tightened it to taste, and it's worked well ever since.
    WOOOT > I just did exactly what you said, backed it off a quarter-turn and hey presto....its working.
    fingers crossed it stays this way. Thanks for posting your fix.
    Didn't fancy going thru VR withdrawal.
    i7-5820x | gtx980ti | corsair h80i v2 | ddr4 16gb | SSD x2 | win10x64
  • VolksheldVolksheld Posts: 22
    Brain Burst
    Volksheld schrieb:
    Update : after i wrote the first comment i contact immediately the support. They answered very quick and now a new Rift is on the way to me. 

• celticfccelticfc Posts: 12
    NerveGear
    Volksheld said:
    Volksheld schrieb:
    Update : after i wrote the first comment i contact immediately the support. They answered very quick and now a new Rift is on the way to me. 

Did you have to send yours back or are they sending a replacement and then sending your back?
    Wintermute
    celticfc said:
    Volksheld said:
    Volksheld schrieb:

Did you have to send yours back or are they sending a replacement and then sending your back?
    No, you have to send yours back first  .. it just needs to reach their associated warehouse. For me that was hong kong, and it took 2 days to actually reach the destination, a day later I recieved confirmation that they were sending me a new one.
  • WildtWildt Posts: 1,936 Valuable Player
    Panoramus said:
    cbarish said:
    I went to support; they recommended that I tighten the (plastic?) screw that holds the earpiece to the headband. I backed it off a quarter-turn, tightened it to taste, and it's worked well ever since.
    WOOOT > I just did exactly what you said, backed it off a quarter-turn and hey presto....its working.
    fingers crossed it stays this way. Thanks for posting your fix.
    Didn't fancy going thru VR withdrawal.
    Worked for me three
    Asus Z370-A ||  Watercooled 8700K || 16 GB gSkill DDR4 3200 || Samsung SSD 840PRO 256GB+850PRO 256GB+850EVO 500GB+970EVO 1TB || Watercooled FE Geforce 1080ti || Zalman Reserator XT watercooler || TPcast wireless adapter || MamutVR Gun stock V3 || Asus ROG PG279Q  G-sync monitor
    Brain Burst
    edited March 2017

Well I must say; the replacement unit came fully Boxed like brand new! If these are reconditioned units Oculus did a bloody good Job!! I really hope the problem has been resolved with a modification to the original design though!!

• FerasezFerasez Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    I have the exact problem :( and i posted on youtube it on youtube 

• cyberealitycybereality Posts: 26,156 Oculus Staff
    Have you contacted support? We may be able to replace if you are under warranty.
    https://support.oculus.com/
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
  • flexy123flexy123 Posts: 791
    3Jane
    edited April 2017
    SAME thing here. Man I am so p*ssed. Looking into this thread this seems another common issue similar to the small rubber dampers with Touch. Right speaker, it's NOT the speaker itself, some issue related to the spring mechanism or ribbon cable inside the strap.

QUESTION: MY Rift had been purchased by Amazon in Europe which means it SHOULD have a 2 years warranty. Looking at Amazon in regards to returns after 30 days it is not clear to me whether the broken Rift to exchange through Amazon or through Oculus. It is the exact same problem as the OP describes, with the problem somewhere inside the strap, likely a broken ribbon cable. (Not the speaker itself and not the connection of the speaker to the band, I tested this already). Can you advice please? Will Amazon exchange this?
  • HiThere_HiThere_ Posts: 1,275
    3Jane
    Same problem here : One speaker started losing audio...

Thing is if I swap the right and left speaker around, the problem switches side too, so this suggests that in my case the problem is not tied to the strap or to the screw, but tied to the removable speaker itself.

Also I can get away with taping the speaker to get the sound back, but it's not the kind of VR product I want to showcase to my friends...

It just started to happpen so I'm still hoping I can screw it back in a way that will work.
  • TrakianTrakian Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    Same problem, no solution, Oculus has changed my Headset.
  • FanzyPantzFanzyPantz Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    Same here. Right side drops audio. Playing with strap and sweetspot gets audio. 
  • blanesblanes Posts: 1,068
    3Jane
    Wow this problem is increasing exponentially as time goes by ... mine got replaced due to it pretty quickly but I feel for everyone else who will encounter this exact problem at some point only their warranty may already have expired.  I really hope these new or refurb units we got as replacements have undergone some update to prevent it happening again.
  • flexy123flexy123 Posts: 791
    3Jane
    At this point I am not bothering with a RMA (yet), I am too lazy and then the thought of not having VR for a week or two... Fortunately, external headphones/plugs work REALLY well. I also figure that after a RMA and a completely new unit, the problem might appear again in 4 or so months.
    Wintermute
    edited April 2017
    blanes said:
    Wow this problem is increasing exponentially as time goes by ... mine got replaced due to it pretty quickly but I feel for everyone else who will encounter this exact problem at some point only their warranty may already have expired.  I really hope these new or refurb units we got as replacements have undergone some update to prevent it happening again.
    Yea, I've said the same thing. I'm really curious to see what happens come around july/aug/october which would be more than 1 year after pretty much all of the people who pre-ordered.

I worry about what kind of publicity this might bring Oculus if it starts happening en masse to those who are outside Warranty.

Hopefully someone will learn how to DIY fix the problem and post a youtube walkthrough. Otherwise, we're gonna have to get some expensive wireless headphones.
  • SyndroidSyndroid Posts: 242
    Nexus 6
    I've got the same problem...and guess which speaker it is.. yes, it's the right one ^^
    Seems like I have to contact the support.
  • blanesblanes Posts: 1,068
    3Jane
    Swap your right earphone to the left side and vice versa.  If it is the earpiece only then it will not work either side, but if it is the cabling inside the rubber headstrap then the right earphone/earpiece will work on the left side and the previously working left earphone/earpiece will stop working on the right side.  I sent support a short video I made on my phone camera of this happening and it sped up the support  troubleshooting process a little. It verifies to them that it is indeed the headstrap cabling which seems to be what fails in the majority of cases and you then get RMA to return your complete headset for a new one.  My new one works faultlessly and the redmist problem I used to have is now significantly less that I cannot barely notice it whilst my other headset had very noticeable redmist plus it used to drop out to a black screen momentarily all the time.  I think the headset usb cable was also flakey.
  • reggieonereggieone Posts: 26
    Brain Burst
    Well the situation is truly frustrating. It's obvious they have a design flaw on this ribbon cable attaching the earbuds. As different people are trying on your oculus. You are constantly readjusting the strap for their heads. That usually causes the problem. Sometimes it's a little intermittent, then one of the sides goes out there and usually both sides go out eventually. Then you can spend up to a month from the time you actually report the problem and get an RMA and have the replacement product back in your hands. Shipping alone is usually one week to them and one week back. The sound is exceptionally good. So wearing an additional headset for sound is definitely a temporary solution but certainly not a very good long-term solution. When this happens oculus should offer a cross ship return. That's where you pay for the new unit but when the defective unit is received back to them. The issue a credit back to your credit card. I'm fine with that as you can are not without your unit.

Note: My bet if second-generation will have this part set up so they can simply replace the defective part.
  • JD-UKJD-UK Posts: 2,289 Valuable Player
    edited May 2017
    My replacement Rift just arrived and there is no audio at all. Everything is showing okay in windows - just no sound.

I've taken the earpieces off, the contacts seem fine. I'll try testing this afternoon, but of course I am very disappointed at the moment. I'm torn between ditching the 'phones and using my own and getting back in touch with support.
    I never realised how bad being without my Rift was going to be (being stuck at home nearly 24 hours a day) but I have been in the dumps since the day after I sent my old Rift away. Having to return this one would be a major disappointment.

Still, we'll see after I do some fiddling around later.

Wintermute
    edited May 2017
    Brixmis said:
    My replacement Rift just arrived and there is no audio at all. Everything is showing okay in windows - just no sound.

I've taken the earpieces off, the contacts seem fine. I'll try testing this afternoon, but of course I am very disappointed at the moment. I'm torn between ditching the 'phones and using my own and getting back in touch with support.
    I never realised how bad being without my Rift was going to be (being stuck at home nearly 24 hours a day) but I have been in the dumps since the day after I sent my old Rift away. Having to return this one would be a major disappointment.

Still, we'll see after I do some fiddling around later.
    Couple of possibilities

1. Check in the Oculus app under Settings > Devices > HMD > Audio Output In VR (Set to Audio Rift Headphones)

2. Check Audio Priorities in Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > Manage Audio Devices > Select Rift Headphones and click "Set as Default"

Also of course, double check sound volume etc.
  • JD-UKJD-UK Posts: 2,289 Valuable Player
    Thanks for your reply - these are all set as required.

I did find one very interesting thing, though, in the driver properties box:

I don't know what, exactly, requires 'further installation' but it gives me hope!

No time left now - I have to go, but will look into it later.

Wintermute
    Brixmis said:
    Thanks for your reply - these are all set as required.

I did find one very interesting thing, though, in the driver properties box:

I don't know what, exactly, requires 'further installation' but it gives me hope!

No time left now - I have to go, but will look into it later.
    Hmm yea looks like that would be the problem. I think it might just be a case of waiting for Oculus Home to properly update your drivers.

Otherwise, maybe you need a USB driver update. You could also try unplug/replug the USB of the HMD to another USB port and see if it picks up or at least prompts to install the driver.

Another possibility ... just do a reset? maybe the "requires further installation" needs to be done at startup?

In any case, good luck. Hope you get it sorted out.