Right-side headphone stopped functioning. - Page 3 — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Right-side headphone stopped functioning.

Comments

• JD-UKJD-UK Posts: 2,289 Valuable Player
    Thanks - yup, it has sorted itself out. Chuffed :)

• flexy123flexy123 Posts: 791
    3Jane
    reggieone said:
    Well the situation is truly frustrating. It's obvious they have a design flaw on this ribbon cable attaching the earbuds. As different people are trying on your oculus. You are constantly readjusting the strap for their heads. That usually causes the problem.
    I have no different people trying on my Rift. Except my wife whom I showed VR, maybe twice IN TOTAL.
    The problem is really that the Rift and any HMD for that matter are "wearable" which requires that you take them off and on, constantly. And every time when you put it on it stretches and wears out this part. So yes, it's a design flaw.
  • flibberflopsflibberflops Posts: 87
    Hiro Protagonist
    This has just happeened to me. The rift has got to be returned.

My concern is am I going to get a replacement with the same design flaw or have they upgraded the internal wiring to something more robust?

I imagine it will be only a matter of time before there are 100's of people with this issue.
  • shadowrydrshadowrydr Posts: 112
    Art3mis
    I had the same issue,  and here is my story. Just contact support and they will work with you.

https://forums.oculus.com/community/discussion/comment/520786#Comment_520786

Win10 64bit
    Intel 6 Core i7 5930 3.5GZ-Water cooled/GA-X99 UD4-/HX1000W PS/32GB DDR4 2400MHz
    Nvidia 1080 FE 8GB / 840 GB-SSD-/ 2TB HDD-
  • HjalmHjalm Posts: 31
    Brain Burst
    Mine also lost sound on the right earphone,  worked a while while I moved the right strap in and out to find the sweet spot but then the left side went out.  I sent it back to Oculus on the 31st.  I had my rift since last July with no issues.  Luckily it still  can be replaced.  For a back up I bought a new unit at Best Buy to alternate if these issues keep happening.  I thought I would then not be without a Rift in the house.  :wink:
  • flibberflopsflibberflops Posts: 87
    Hiro Protagonist
    edited June 2017
    rj16066 said:
    I had the same issue,  and here is my story. Just contact support and they will work with you.

I have no issue with the returns/replacement process. However, I do have concerns that this is obviously a design issue. So unless the Rift has been upgraded, despite a replacement this issue will undoubtedly return given time. When it does, the headset will be out of warranty.
  • HjalmHjalm Posts: 31
    Brain Burst
    Will the replacement Rift have a new warranty?

3Jane
    Welcome to the club....sigh...or "lol", or whatever... ;/
    PS I don't *think* warranty extends with an RMA.
  • rdmilliganrdmilligan Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    edited June 2017
    Had same issue with sound intermittent in right ear, then left, then cut out. Disappointing (stopped me developing >:(

However, Oculus Support were superb. After a few preliminary checks (plus confirmation of retailer purchase) they emailed postage label and I had Rift replaced in 8 days (from UK). Brand new, as far as I can tell.
  • falken76falken76 Posts: 2,805 Valuable Player
    Teirdalin said:
    Well; I sent a support ticket in,  I guess worst case scenario is I could probably just take off the headphones as they come off pretty easily and just get some new headphones to wear over the rift, but I don't imagine that to be very comfy for VR; and would just be a whole new cable to worry about.
    Take it back to best buy and tell them they sold you a defective unit.  Someone else on here had the same issue and support was taking a very long time, so he took it apart and the problem was they use a ribbon cable to connect the audio and it was ripped in half.  I assume he voided his warranty by doing so also...

But to buy a $500 electronic unit from Best Buy that has issues only to be told you should consider adding 3rd party accessories to fix the problem (Use an external set of headphones instead) is unacceptable and I doubt any company would advertise this as the type of warranty you can expect from them when you buy their product.
  • falken76falken76 Posts: 2,805 Valuable Player
    rj16066 said:

I have no issue with the returns/replacement process. However, I do have concerns that this is obviously a design issue. So unless the Rift has been upgraded, despite a replacement this issue will undoubtedly return given time. When it does, the headset will be out of warranty.

I think come August and later, we'll start seeing youtube videos with people using 3rd party headphones with their rifts.  The reason why won't be a mystery to anyone that's read this thread.

• BBZ149BBZ149 Posts: 30
    Brain Burst
    edited June 2017
    falken76 said:
    Teirdalin said:
    Well; I sent a support ticket in,  I guess worst case scenario is I could probably just take off the headphones as they come off pretty easily and just get some new headphones to wear over the rift, but I don't imagine that to be very comfy for VR; and would just be a whole new cable to worry about.
    Take it back to best buy and tell them they sold you a defective unit.  Someone else on here had the same issue and support was taking a very long time, so he took it apart and the problem was they use a ribbon cable to connect the audio and it was ripped in half.

I would love to see the Photo's of what causes the problem, are the posted anywhere?

• KillCardKillCard Posts: 1,078
    Wintermute
    edited June 2017
    BBZ149 said:
    falken76 said:
    Teirdalin said:
    Take it back to best buy and tell them they sold you a defective unit.  Someone else on here had the same issue and support was taking a very long time, so he took it apart and the problem was they use a ribbon cable to connect the audio and it was ripped in half.

I would love to see the Photo's of what causes the problem, are the posted anywhere?

https://forums.oculus.com/community/discussion/comment/527726#Comment_527726
    Brain Burst
    BBZ149 said:
    falken76 said:
    Teirdalin said:

Thanks! I knew it was a design problem!!
    Brain Burst
    Oculus Forum and no comments from them on any posts about this problem!! Thats just p1ss poor IMO. Ill be buying a Vive with the new Headphone addon when my unit is out of Warranty if it breaks again!!!
  • ntwigbelsntwigbels Posts: 69
    Hiro Protagonist
    Mine lost sound on the right earphone last monday for the first time. I thought I resolve it by remounting the headphone, but today it happened for the third time this week :( I'm going to open a support ticked.
  • AbnormaliaAbnormalia Posts: 162 Oculus Start Member
    This is becoming very frustrating. I bought second unit as previous one's right speaker failed. I posted here as well. New one worked really good and I forget about issue at least  for 3 month. I'm developer and I use headset quite often. Today I noted same symptoms with new headset. Failing sound with right speaker.  Exactly 1-1 as old one. By adjusting strip you may find some spot where it may work for couple of seconds. Funny thing is we are doing research on positional audios solutions and evaluating different SDK-s and this is so badly timed now!!!
  • Hornet_F4CHornet_F4C Posts: 214
    Nexus 6

Just nail down whether it is just the speaker itself or some lose connection inside the headset / strap (i.e. by quickly swapping the headphones).

In my case it was just the speaker which was easy to replace. After opening a support ticket, I got the spare from support for free. All in all took a week or two.

Greets!

Just nail down whether it is just the speaker itself or some lose connection inside the headset / strap (i.e. by quickly swapping the headphones).

In my case it was just the speaker which was easy to replace. After opening a support ticket, I got the spare from support for free. All in all took a week or two.

Greets!

I have 2 pairs or original speakers both works perfectly plus Oculus earbuds. Replaced and tried all display same issue with right side and work fine (for now) on left.
    Does it make sense to talk to support ? I'm in Georgia, Europe. Sending Oculus from here will cost a fortune. :(
  • KillCardKillCard Posts: 1,078
    Wintermute
    Does it make sense to talk to support ? I'm in Georgia, Europe. Sending Oculus from here will cost a fortune. :(
    If you need to send it back for a warranty replacement they will give you a prepaid shipping label to send it with. Your shipping cost will be 0.
    Brain Burst
    Also the Oculus goes to Holland or Germany!! Can't rem where mine went to but had a replacement in about a Week!!
  • cybernettrcybernettr Posts: 912
    3Jane
    The same thing just happened to me, I opened a support ticket, Oculus had me swap the earpieces left to right to verify it was the earpieces and not the headset, it was, and so now they have a new pair on the way to me. 
    After 2 weeks of exchanging emails, nothing. "Your unit is development unit we cannot help good luck" :) So now we have 3 units. Some are sold on Amazon for 599$ some received as devkits. and 2 of them without working headphones...
  • solkeitersolkeiter Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Left earphone not working on my unit, purchased on Amazon prime day two weeks back. Great unit otherwise, but this no sound in the left earphone issue is a real ringer. If I could just remove the headphones and use my own it would be preferable to one side of the head receiving noise.
    3Jane
    edited July 2017
    >>
    If I could just remove the headphones

YOU CAN. There is even a tool included with the Rift to remove them. (It's like a small plastic screw-driver thing). Each headphone only requires to turn one screw to remove it. Easy as pie and takes 1 minute.
  • NijNij Posts: 306
    Nexus 6
    nooo!!, This has just happened to me, I've been using the newer headphones you can purchase from oculus and the audio on the right side has stopped working

I've took the right one out and put it back in and tightened it but still no joy and even used the original headphones that you get with it but it's still the same, I have noticed moving the arm up and down briefly brings the audio back so I'm guessing it's something to do with the internal connections so am gonna raise a support request

I've had the rift since release so I'm guessing they won't replace it or anything but do they at least look into repairing it for you
    I was a believer!! I was a Kickstarter backer!! Now I shall reap the rewards!!! :D :D :D
  • johnco61johnco61 Posts: 48
    Brain Burst
    Had same issue with sound intermittent in right ear, then left, then cut out. Disappointing (stopped me developing >:(

However, Oculus Support were superb. After a few preliminary checks (plus confirmation of retailer purchase) they emailed postage label and I had Rift replaced in 8 days (from UK). Brand new, as far as I can tell.
    Did it just turn up after 8 days or did you get an email to say its on its way? I sent mine back 12 days ago and haven't heard anything yet (also from the UK,  returned to The Netherland 
  • NijNij Posts: 306
    Nexus 6
    johnco61 said:

Did it just turn up after 8 days or did you get an email to say its on its way? I sent mine back 12 days ago and haven't heard anything yet (also from the UK,  returned to The Netherland 

Hey, have you heard anything yet, I'm in the UK and sent mine back on the 7th August and I know it was picked up by UPS the following day and was delivered to the netherlands on the thursday cause I tracked it through UPS but I've had no acknowledgement or update at all yet, it does say 8 to 12 business days but a quick update would be nice!
    I was a believer!! I was a Kickstarter backer!! Now I shall reap the rewards!!! :D :D :D
  • Fredd32Fredd32 Posts: 251
    Nexus 6
    My lasted almost a year before this happened. I ended up with a replacement.