Right-side headphone stopped functioning. - Page 4 — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Right-side headphone stopped functioning.

Comments

• johnco61johnco61 Posts: 48
    Brain Burst
    Nij said:
    johnco61 said:
    Had same issue with sound intermittent in right ear, then left, then cut out. Disappointing (stopped me developing >:(

However, Oculus Support were superb. After a few preliminary checks (plus confirmation of retailer purchase) they emailed postage label and I had Rift replaced in 8 days (from UK). Brand new, as far as I can tell.
    Did it just turn up after 8 days or did you get an email to say its on its way? I sent mine back 12 days ago and haven't heard anything yet (also from the UK,  returned to The Netherland 

Hey, have you heard anything yet, I'm in the UK and sent mine back on the 7th August and I know it was picked up by UPS the following day and was delivered to the netherlands on the thursday cause I tracked it through UPS but I've had no acknowledgement or update at all yet, it does say 8 to 12 business days but a quick update would be nice!
    No not turned up yet,
    Brain Burst
    Have emailed but have just had the standard email back, we will look into it and get back!!
  • NijNij Posts: 309
    Nexus 6
    johnco61 said:
    Have emailed but have just had the standard email back, we will look into it and get back!!
    Oh noo

Not looking good for me then, was hoping to have it back by weekend, I've got loads of stuff to play and wanna get killing floor, damm it!! tried to play on my xbox one but it just aint the same no more :D :D
    I was a believer!! I was a Kickstarter backer!! Now I shall reap the rewards!!! :D :D :D
    Brain Burst
    LOL, will let you know when I hear more
  • EliteSPAEliteSPA Posts: 1,560
    Project 2501
    Ask for a replacement is a  common issue.
    i7 6700K @ 4.2 GHz | Corsair 16GB DDR4 PC2300 | GTX 1080 Ti | Asus z170-Pro | Corsair RGB Strafe Keyboard | Logitech G27 | Oculus CV1 + Touch + 4 Sensors | Win 10 64 bit | Acer Predator x34 @ 100Hz
    Brain Burst
    johnco61 said:
    48 hrs and still no word from support, can't believe it would take them this long to phone the Netherlands and ask if my Rift was on its way yet
    Brain Burst
    johnco61 said:
    johnco61 said:
    48 hrs and still no word from support, can't believe it would take them this long to phone the Netherlands and ask if my Rift was on its way yet
    Had an email today to say l'm moving up the ladder a bit. Should be delt with soon, what a joke!!
    Nexus 6
    johnco61 said:
    johnco61 said:
    johnco61 said:
    Had an email today to say l'm moving up the ladder a bit. Should be delt with soon, what a joke!!
    Sheeeett!!

This is not good, have you moved up the ladder to getting a new rift or just for your follow up enquiry :D

I thought i'd be fine for a few weeks with no rift, but it's started to get to me now, really wanna play killing floor and rez, oh and the games I got in the summer sale, they must have run out of rifts after the sale!!
    I was a believer!! I was a Kickstarter backer!! Now I shall reap the rewards!!! :D :D :D
    Brain Burst
    Nij said:
    johnco61 said:
    johnco61 said:
    johnco61 said:
    Sheeeett!!

This is not good, have you moved up the ladder to getting a new rift or just for your follow up enquiry :D

I thought i'd be fine for a few weeks with no rift, but it's started to get to me now, really wanna play killing floor and rez, oh and the games I got in the summer sale, they must have run out of rifts after the sale!!
    I have just moved up the ladder to look into the reason why my rift hasn't been replaced yet, they only need to phone the Netherlands and ask!! it's been 4 days now and they haven't even done that yet, I dread to think how long it will take to sort out if it's gone missing.
    If they don't have rifts in stock they shouldn't send out a return label until they have them, I could still use mine,it wasn't ideal but I could still use it
    Nexus 6
    johnco61 said:
    Nij said:
    johnco61 said:
    johnco61 said:
    johnco61 said:
    Sheeeett!!

I have just moved up the ladder to look into the reason why my rift hasn't been replaced yet, they only need to phone the Netherlands and ask!! it's been 4 days now and they haven't even done that yet, I dread to think how long it will take to sort out if it's gone missing.
    If they don't have rifts in stock they shouldn't send out a return label until they have them, I could still use mine,it wasn't ideal but I could still use it

Exactly, if they can't manage the turnaround of 12-14 days on getting you a replacement then they should hold off on asking you to send it back as I could still be playing mine now with my own headphones!
    Nexus 6
    Just woke up to an email today saying my replacement is on the way, no tracking number yet tho and nothing on the ups app, hoping I have it by the end of the week! 
    Brain Burst
    Nij said:
    Just woke up to an email today saying my replacement is on the way, no tracking number yet tho and nothing on the ups app, hoping I have it by the end of the week! 
    Ya mine is on its way too!!
    Nexus 6
    johnco61 said:
    Nij said:
    Ya mine is on its way too!!
    So been checking today for tracking numbers and nothing but then tonight I got an email from UPS saying I have a package on the way from oculus for thursday, thank the Lord!!!
    Brain Burst
    That's great I'm the same, haven't had the tracking number yet but I'm hopeful. Probably not for the weekend though!!
  • a247slackera247slacker Posts: 10
    NerveGear
    edited August 2017
    support had me switch the left head phone for the right one. this worked so then I put them back to default and they worked fine for about 2 weeks. Now im getting the right one cutting in and out again. so not sure if this is the connector area or in the headset wiring but weird so many are reporting an issue!
    Brain Burst
    You can try switching them again and see what happens, (but I guess you've tried that)) if its cuts in and out when you put the headset on and take it off, also when adjusting the strap's then this is due to the faulty ribbon and will need returning. This will happen which ever ear phone you have plugged in. So I'd get back on to support
    Brain Burst
    My rift turned up today without any warning!! How about you Nij?
    Nexus 6
    support had me switch the left head phone for the right one. this worked so then I put them back to default and they worked fine for about 2 weeks. Now im getting the right one cutting in and out again. so not sure if this is the connector area or in the headset wiring but weird so many are reporting an issue!
    I did that before I contacted support just to check it wasn't the headphones themselves and I knew support would ask me to do it too :D and I pretty much made sure I'd troubleshooted everything else, so we only exchanged a few emails before they asked me to send it back

johnco61 said:
    My rift turned up today without any warning!! How about you Nij?
    Oh glad you got yours today mate and yeah as per my post above, I had no email from oculus only an email from UPS on tuesday to say I had a package on the way and it was coming today, meant to say to you get the UPS app because it'll tell you on there before oculus do lol!

Ahh back in the rift again!!
  • cyberealitycybereality Posts: 26,156 Oculus Staff
    If you experience any problems with your new Rift, please feel free to submit a ticket.
    https://support.oculus.com
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
    Brain Burst
    If you experience any problems with your new Rift, please feel free to submit a ticket.
    https://support.oculus.com
    Thanks for that cybereality, everything seems ok.  It's a shame that support are under so much pressure at the moment, as apart from the lack of communication the service has been excellent.  When I first had issues they were quick to diagnose the problem and sent a return label, it went a bit quiet after that. Still all's well that ends well 
  • Henri1970Henri1970 Posts: 121
    Art3mis
    Hello,

I am having the same issue and contacted support, opened a ticket and there was a chat button? The guy in the chat did some basic trouble shooting and it would seem the strap is broken as well. I have since received a mail saying that support is busy because of summer sales (?). This in itself is more or less okay however that was a week ago and I am not getting any response anymore.
    Brain Burst
    You will get a response don't worry about that, just use your rift with head phones for now.  It's better than sending the headset off now and having to wait 3 or 4 weeks to get it renewed 
  • kunoxskunoxs Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    Use the tool to disconnect and reconnect it.
    Nexus 6
    @johnco61
    Hey mate how did you get on with your new rift, support just told me to plug it in and it will be fine, not the case though at all!!, everytime I plug it in and launch oculus, it prompts me to set up a new device and then freezes and I can't even get past set up :(

@cybereality
    Not sure if you could give me any quck fixes before I either reinstall oculus or contact support!

Basically I've got my replacement rift and support said just plug it in but it did prompt me set up a new device and say it has installed my headset on windows notifications but the minute I plug the usb and hdmi cables in with the pc on or off and launch oculus, everything just freezes and after a couple of reboots I decided to just leave it and it basically just hangs for ages and eventually closes oculus or flicks between oculus and my desktop but I never get past the screen that shows all the sensors, headset and hdmi connections and they all say OK but it will just hang there and can't complete set up

I haven't changed anything since the last few weeks since I used my old headset but I know my pc did update to the creators update on windows 10 and I've had 2 nvidia graphic driver updates since last time and also OH 1.17

Don't wanna really reinstall everything again as last time I did that all my backups for games and apps never worked and I had to start everything again so hoping to avoid this

Cheers

Brain Burst
    Nij said:
    @johnco61
    Hey mate how did you get on with your new rift, support just told me to plug it in and it will be fine, not the case though at all!!, everytime I plug it in and launch oculus, it prompts me to set up a new device and then freezes and I can't even get past set up :(

@cybereality
    Not sure if you could give me any quck fixes before I either reinstall oculus or contact support!

Basically I've got my replacement rift and support said just plug it in but it did prompt me set up a new device and say it has installed my headset on windows notifications but the minute I plug the usb and hdmi cables in with the pc on or off and launch oculus, everything just freezes and after a couple of reboots I decided to just leave it and it basically just hangs for ages and eventually closes oculus or flicks between oculus and my desktop but I never get past the screen that shows all the sensors, headset and hdmi connections and they all say OK but it will just hang there and can't complete set up

I haven't changed anything since the last few weeks since I used my old headset but I know my pc did update to the creators update on windows 10 and I've had 2 nvidia graphic driver updates since last time and also OH 1.17

Don't wanna really reinstall everything again as last time I did that all my backups for games and apps never worked and I had to start everything again so hoping to avoid this

Cheers

That's strange I didn't have a problem, having said that I had to go through the setup at the start but that went ok.  I did have the HMD disconnecting all the time which I never had before but switching the usb ports about sorted that.
    The only thing I can suggest is uninstalling the Oculus software and start again, I know it's a pain but that's the first thing support will say!
    Nexus 6
    johnco61 said:
    That's strange I didn't have a problem, having said that I had to go through the setup at the start but that went ok.  I did have the HMD disconnecting all the time which I never had before but switching the usb ports about sorted that.
    The only thing I can suggest is uninstalling the Oculus software and start again, I know it's a pain but that's the first thing support will say!

I know i'm thinking that's the first place I will have to start, no point in contacting support just yet till I've done that, just dreading it as last time I did this, I followed the backup games instructions on oculus and none of my games were restored and had to start all my games from scratch!
    Nexus 6
    nightmare over, managed to skip setup then put on the headset so I get it to display OH and then run setup and we seem to back in the rift saddle, thank the heavens above

Which is great in itself but my weekend is nearly over now and I've had barely any rift action :(
  • smithy_sfcsmithy_sfc Posts: 89
    Hiro Protagonist
    edited August 2017
    I posted mine on 4th August, and have only heard from oculus in response to my questions, nothing helpful.
    "we are experiencing high demand due to summer sale etc."
    I'm sorely disappointed, it seems RMA are low priority.
    i7-5820x | gtx980ti | corsair h80i v2 | ddr4 16gb | SSD x2 | win10x64
  • UrbanLogicGamesUrbanLogicGames Posts: 15
    NerveGear
    I'm losing sound in the right ear too. I tried the detach, blow, reattach method but no luck. I did manage to temporarily get sound back by pressing on the right band (near the velcro) but that stopped working after a while. I then tried undoing the velcro on both sides, let the straps extend all the way out, then slowly tighting the Rift. This must have re-seated something because I now have sound back again, but no idea how long that'll last. It's highly likely the process of extending the strap might eventually make things worse.
    Brain Burst
    It sounds as though the ribbon is damaged inside the strap, this will get worse in time so I would contact support and let them know what you have done, they should send you a return label