Right-side headphone stopped functioning. - Page 5 — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Right-side headphone stopped functioning.

Comments

• odo5234odo5234 Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    edited September 2017
    mine is doing it too and is only about 4 weeks old!
  • johnco61johnco61 Posts: 48
    Brain Burst
    Try taking the headphone off by undoing the large screw give it a clean then refit, make sure the screw is tight.  That may sort it, also try swapping the headphones over, if it still doesn't work then the ribbon could be damaged so you need to contact support
  • Luya21Luya21 Posts: 20
    Brain Burst
    I have the same problem on the left I buy new headphones and the same problem
  • ebastosebastos Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    hello everyone, I had the some problem, my cat threw the oculus on the floor and the right sound turn off, but the fix has easy. desconnect the headphone (I disconnected booth left and right and reversed the position to have certainty that it was not device problemam, reconnect in right positions and the sound turn on !
    Brain Burst
    i did that and the i got sound but when i move my headset the sound was gone again 
  • jamieandsean2012jamieandsean2012 Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    Just had my rift replaced because of the right side sound loss issue. Got to say I was very impressed with oculus surport. Took 2 weeks from start to finish to get my replacement rift. Would deffo recommend contacting surport if having the same issue.
    Brain Burst
    I keep contacting support and never got back more then a week now and I got my rift at march 9 2017
  • XxGingerSharkxXXxGingerSharkxX Posts: 5
    NerveGear
    Same issue. It just happened last night only started left the the right soon after. I wish the made the head strap easy to remove and fix. I wish the had a support hotline to call.
  • cyberealitycybereality Posts: 26,156 Oculus Staff
    You can submit a support ticket here. Thanks. https://support.oculus.com
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
  • XxGingerSharkxXXxGingerSharkxX Posts: 5
    NerveGear
    I have cybereality, twice. But am now 100% sure that it is a hardware issue. I took the facecam of my iPhone to see the infrared LEDs. The ones on the front and sides of the headset are working just fine. But the ones on the head straps are turning off. When the slide rails on the head set are pulled all the way back, everything is working just fine. But once they move forward even the slightest, all power to the headphones and the back infrared LEDs cuts off. I have even gone as far as taking a voltmeter to check the power, and no Power at all once it moves forward. What is keeping me from fixing it myself is that I thing I'm still under warranty. But I guess I can't even send it in for a replacement because I lost the receipt from a year and a half ago.
  • KirilZdravkovKirilZdravkov Posts: 9
    NerveGear
    Just to add to this old threat,,, on my rift the right headphone also cutting in and out, most of the time out... goodluck to us all
  • Meat_ManMeat_Man Posts: 117
    Art3mis
    Mine is doing the same thing right out of the box.  :I
  • phoenixdigitalphoenixdigital Posts: 166
    Art3mis
    edited November 2017
    Contact support immediately if you ever have this issue. See 4 posts up.
    CPU: i5 6600K (conservative overclock), GPU: Asus GTX1080Ti (not overclocked), motherboard: Asus Z170 Pro Gaming, USB Card 1: Inatek 4 Port, USB Card 2: Startek 2 Port
  • ClaytoniousClaytonious Posts: 26 Oculus Start Member
    Brand new Rift and it came out of the box with no audio in the right headphone. This thread is over a year old.
  • billyismsbillyisms Posts: 12
    NerveGear
    edited December 2017
    Has anyone posted the method of wrapping a copper wire around the back of the headset and connecting it to the left and right contact of the connector for the headphones? There are pictures:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/6lvtun/psa_fixing_the_loss_of_right_audio_issue/
  • cyberealitycybereality Posts: 26,156 Oculus Staff
    Please note, if you attempt any sort of repair work yourself, this will void the warranty. Best to speak with us first to see if you are covered under warranty and eligible for a replacement. Thanks. 
    https://support.oculus.com
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
  • KillCardKillCard Posts: 1,078
    Wintermute
    edited December 2017
    Please note, if you attempt any sort of repair work yourself, this will void the warranty. Best to speak with us first to see if you are covered under warranty and eligible for a replacement. Thanks. 
    Actually if you check the technique that was posted in the thread, no actual opening or modifying of the Rift device itself needs to be done. All they seem to be doing is wrapping a copper wire around the connectors of the speaker and stringing it along the back of the rift to the other speaker and wrapping around that connector then connecting the speaker up and screwing it in normally to hold it in place. They then hold the wire in place externally with a bit of electrical tape. I cant be 100% certain .. since I haven't had to try it myself, but from what they are describing I don't think it will void warranty .. maybe?

Though if you are still under warranty you should definitely 100% seek advice from support first.. obviously.
  • BBZ149BBZ149 Posts: 30
    Brain Burst
    KillCard said:
    Actually if you check the technique that was posted in the thread, no actual opening or modifying of the Rift device itself needs to be done. All they seem to be doing is wrapping a copper wire around the connectors of the speaker and stringing it along the back of the rift to the other speaker and wrapping around that connector then connecting the speaker up and screwing it in normally to hold it in place. They then hold the wire in place externally with a bit of electrical tape. I cant be 100% certain .. since I haven't had to try it myself, but from what they are describing I don't think it will void warranty .. maybe?

Though if you are still under warranty you should definitely 100% seek advice from support first.. obviously.
    If you do that then the Audio would be in Mono and not Stereo!! 
    Art3mis
    billyisms said:
    Has anyone posted the method of wrapping a copper wire around the back of the headset and connecting it to the left and right contact of the connector for the headphones? 
    That fix would only work if the ribbon cable broke in a certain manner as it looks like they are just extending the ground line across from left to right externally. It would likely be a very temporary fix as once the ribbon cable starts to tear it will likely progressively fail completely after repeated flexing on the cable by putting on and taking off the headset.

I know we will never get an official response from Oculus on what it causing the problem or how to avoid it. I'm fine if they want to be silent on the problem for fear of legal issues however if they want to take that stance they really should give users outside of warranty an option for repair or paid replacement as opposed to the support droid response of "Buy a new headset + all accessories". I really hope this is not a design flaw that will end up affecting more and more Rifts as time goes on. 
    CPU: i5 6600K (conservative overclock), GPU: Asus GTX1080Ti (not overclocked), motherboard: Asus Z170 Pro Gaming, USB Card 1: Inatek 4 Port, USB Card 2: Startek 2 Port
  • McReadyMcReady Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Seems to be that time of the year. Same problem here with my oculus. Adjusting the right side head strap will cut out audio on the right side head phone. There is just a small sweet spot with the strap where the audio is working.
  • ShiZZ_DiGGShiZZ_DiGG Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    edited December 2017
    @phoenixdigital Problems with the audio cutting out or completely disappearing on one side....in association with the movement with the head strap only means one thing. Broken ribbon cable/bad design flaw. Dealing with them now, on a headset from that I started using in July. Don't really know how else to spell it out for them or how "logs" will help. So I'm stuck playing the waiting game at this moment. I guess time will tell how I deal with the situation.
  • ShiZZ_DiGGShiZZ_DiGG Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    @KillCard The 2 pins that are being referred to is the GND. So....stilll stereo.  :D :D :D :D :D
  • WildtWildt Posts: 1,937 Valuable Player
    A www.. 14 days after my 2 year warranty ran out, and now I'm sure the infamous loose connection in the strap happened to me too
    Asus Z370-A ||  Watercooled 8700K || 16 GB gSkill DDR4 3200 || Samsung SSD 840PRO 256GB+850PRO 256GB+850EVO 500GB+970EVO 1TB || Watercooled FE Geforce 1080ti || Zalman Reserator XT watercooler || TPcast wireless adapter || MamutVR Gun stock V3 || Asus ROG PG279Q  G-sync monitor
  • BloodletBloodlet Posts: 735
    3Jane
    I've had this problem now with 3 different rifts.
     Support were very helpful and replaced the units quickly.
    The first two lasted about 5/6 months before the audio broke, but my last one barely lasted 2 months. I haven't even bothered to contact support this time as I've had enough of the whole design fault.
    I'm now just using my own headphones with the rift. I love my rift and I had recommended buying one to several of my friends in the past. I really can't support them or recommend this product now I know this breakage is so common. Which frankly saddens me after supprting Oculus from the beginning.
    Bloodlet said:
    I've had this problem now with 3 different rifts.
     Support were very helpful and replaced the units quickly.
    The first two lasted about 5/6 months before the audio broke, but my last one barely lasted 2 months. I haven't even bothered to contact support this time as I've had enough of the whole design fault.
    I'm now just using my own headphones with the rift. I love my rift and I had recommended buying one to several of my friends in the past. I really can't support them or recommend this product now I know this breakage is so common. Which frankly saddens me after supprting Oculus from the beginning.
    What headphones are you using? I don't wanna wear a heavy wired gaming headset, but most lightweight bluetooth headsets aren't designed to have low latency :cry:
    Asus Z370-A ||  Watercooled 8700K || 16 GB gSkill DDR4 3200 || Samsung SSD 840PRO 256GB+850PRO 256GB+850EVO 500GB+970EVO 1TB || Watercooled FE Geforce 1080ti || Zalman Reserator XT watercooler || TPcast wireless adapter || MamutVR Gun stock V3 || Asus ROG PG279Q  G-sync monitor
  • flibberflopsflibberflops Posts: 87
    Hiro Protagonist
    Wildt said:
    A www.. 14 days after my 2 year warranty ran out, and now I'm sure the infamous loose connection in the strap happened to me too
    How is that even possible? The CV1 hasn't been available for two years. It was first released in spring 2016!
    edited January 2018
    Wildt said:
    How is that even possible? The CV1 hasn't been available for two years. It was first released in spring 2016!

Oooooh! I just saw the date on the oculus order page, and that's of course the pre-order date - Stupid me! :smiley: I'm off to contact support then!
    Art3mis
    edited January 2018
    As we are nearing the end of warranty for many Oculus customers I think it is about time they offered a paid headset replacement service for users experiencing this obvious design/manufacturing flaw outside of warranty. Charge whatever it costs to have the additional SKU, shipping, support costs.

This simple cost neutral gesture will go a long way to instil goodwill and loyalty from your early adopters.

If you are worried about a bunch of dead headsets being left out in the wild make it a requirement that the user returns their broken headset where you can bin it.

For the record I don't think this is a widespread issue but it is definitely large enough to be a problem for Oculus' reputation if a number of people outside of warranty start getting told "Buy a new headset + accessories"
  • MaximusInfidelisMaximusInfidelis Posts: 4
    NerveGear
    I purchased my Oculus at Best Buy on 03/04/17, the right-side headphone stopped working last night. At first I could move the strap a bit, but not for long, it has stopped working permanently. I changed the left and right over with no difference, it's definitely a design flaw in the strap.

My advice free of charge to Oculus:
    Instead of trying to make a clean looking unit with all kinds of internal prone to wear components, why not just make an external wire with a little slack so that the headset can be adjusted? Does not look slick, but how slick is a broken sleek looking headset? Also it should be easy to repair, never use glue on components like this, when I'm building the machines that I make I always take into account easy access and maintenance. I would never seal components like this with glue. 

I really don't want to bother sending this thing in, because it appears I will get the same thing back. Remember that definition of insanity? I will do it once (fool me once shame on you...lol), then if this happens again, unfortunately I will be forced to buy another competitors unit.
    Art3mis
    Oh dear!!!! My right headphone just stopped working too.

I've been banging on about this being an issue for so long I suppose I brought it on myself :)
    https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/56234/can-oculus-give-us-some-clarity-on-the-cause-of-right-headphone-problem-and-how-to-avoid-it

I was playing Elite Dangerous at the time so there was really not much activity going on when it failed. I tried swapping the headphones. Loosening and tightening the headphone screw but nope. It's dead.

I can however get the right headphone to start working if extend the strap to just the right position. 1mm forward/back it stops. Sadly this sweet spot is not when the headset is resting on my face.

I sincerely hope this is not an issue that will impact everyone at some point. My headset doesn't really get a lot of use. Maybe 4-10 hours a week tops since launch.

Oh well time to contact support. I suppose I am lucky that I am still within my warranty.