Right-side headphone stopped functioning. - Page 6 — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Right-side headphone stopped functioning.

Comments

• KillCardKillCard Posts: 1,078
    Wintermute
    Welp ... I was saying from the beginning that this could end up being a huge problem. I really hope Oculus have a plan to deal with this .. because this is starting to escalate now. They are going to have to figure out a service/ train people to repair them I think.

It sux .. because there are so many things I enjoy about the Oculus which imo puts it ahead of the Vive, especially the weight and the comfort of fit, and omg the controllers are so far ahead of the Vive wands its absurd .. but this one issue just has me really dissapointed and unable to "freely recommend it".

I will still recommend it .. but its going to be a "but ... be aware .. that this may happen" .. aaaand thats when people go .. "im just gonna get a Vive".

I guess we'll see after another 6 months or so .. but I cant see this issue slowing down at this rate, and I'm tentatively waiting for it to happen to me *again* .. so I can try the workaround posted a few posts up.
  • WildtWildt Posts: 1,937 Valuable Player
    edited January 2018
    Support told me I'd probably be getting a refurbished unit in return. Guess that's better than waiting for months to get my own unit repaired, but I'm a bit disappointed still...  how much strain has already been put on the wiring in that strap?
    Asus Z370-A ||  Watercooled 8700K || 16 GB gSkill DDR4 3200 || Samsung SSD 840PRO 256GB+850PRO 256GB+850EVO 500GB+970EVO 1TB || Watercooled FE Geforce 1080ti || Zalman Reserator XT watercooler || TPcast wireless adapter || MamutVR Gun stock V3 || Asus ROG PG279Q  G-sync monitor
  • phoenixdigitalphoenixdigital Posts: 166
    Art3mis
    edited January 2018
    Wildt said:
    Support told I'd probably be getting a refurbished unit in return. Guess that's better than waiting for months to get my own unit repaired, but I'm a bit disappointed still...  how much strain has already been put on the wiring in that strap?

Yeah that is a bit of a bummer. My hope is that they have correctly identified the exact cause of the problem and these refurbished units are no longer prone to this fault. 

If I get offered a refurbished unit I'll be checking that screen and lenses have zero issues too. I know the headset I have is perfect (apart from right headphone). Sadly I'll have to buy some new lens watch protectors as I doubt I'll be able to take them off and transfer them easily.
    CPU: i5 6600K (conservative overclock), GPU: Asus GTX1080Ti (not overclocked), motherboard: Asus Z170 Pro Gaming, USB Card 1: Inatek 4 Port, USB Card 2: Startek 2 Port
  • MadMax1998MadMax1998 Posts: 51
    Hiro Protagonist
    My Rift is from July and yesterday the right headphone broke. However, it did not break because the cabling in the headset did; the black audio cable inside the headphone assembly must have developed a fault at the point where the spring folding mechanism is. When I fold the headphone up, I get sound (occasionally), but folding it down stops it dead. I'm not surprised; kinking and folding cables inside headphone straps have always been known to cause trouble and I've fixed my fair share of headphones with these issues over the years. I'm disappointed that Oculus did not go with a more robust solution here (such as metal plates at the moving pivots) since this will probably affect a lot of people down the road.

I've opened a ticket with Oculus; I hope they understand that only the headphone itself needs replacement.
    Art3mis
    My Rift is from July and yesterday the right headphone broke. However, it did not break because the cabling in the headset did; the black audio cable inside the headphone assembly must have developed a fault at the point where the spring folding mechanism is. 
    Never heard of this type of fault. I've not seen a teardown of the headphone assembly either but if anyone has one please link it through it would be interesting to see.

So when you swap the headphones around the fault moves with the headphone?

ie putting the right headphone on the left side you see the problem move to the left side.

Support will ask you to test this out to likely rule out a internal ribbon cable issue or the issue you described. So you might as well give it a try.

Lastly I've put together an unscientific survey to see if we can get some idea of how widespread the ribbon cable issue is. It also has responses that allows people without any issues to have their voice be included too. 

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/15DWS5lVTzBGwrgs-kmewo9m7AjrWoSuZrNaX7yeXA8U

I'm sure it will take a few months before most people see or bother with the survey so I wouldn't put too much stock in the results early on no matter how they look.

CPU: i5 6600K (conservative overclock), GPU: Asus GTX1080Ti (not overclocked), motherboard: Asus Z170 Pro Gaming, USB Card 1: Inatek 4 Port, USB Card 2: Startek 2 Port
  • KillCardKillCard Posts: 1,078
    Wintermute
    edited February 2018
    My Rift is from July and yesterday the right headphone broke. However, it did not break because the cabling in the headset did; the black audio cable inside the headphone assembly must have developed a fault at the point where the spring folding mechanism is. 
    Never heard of this type of fault. I've not seen a teardown of the headphone assembly either but if anyone has one please link it through it would be interesting to see.

So when you swap the headphones around the fault moves with the headphone?

ie putting the right headphone on the left side you see the problem move to the left side.

Support will ask you to test this out to likely rule out a internal ribbon cable issue or the issue you described. So you might as well give it a try.

Lastly I've put together an unscientific survey to see if we can get some idea of how widespread the ribbon cable issue is. It also has responses that allows people without any issues to have their voice be included too. 

I'm sure it will take a few months before most people see or bother with the survey so I wouldn't put too much stock in the results early on no matter how they look.

Thats a good survey. I recommend everyone else fill it out too. 

The only downside is that data is going to be skewed showing more people having the problem than people who dont, because the only reason anyone is even going to look at it is probably because they HAVE the problem lol. The general data on how long it took to break and what kind of success they had with staff etc is all still really interesting and useful though.
    Art3mis
    edited February 2018
    KillCard said:

Thats a good survey. I recommend everyone else fill it out too. 

The only downside is that data is going to be skewed showing more people having the problem than people who dont, because the only reason anyone is even going to look at it is probably because they HAVE the problem lol. 

Thanks, yeah it will never be a super accurate survey and will have the skew as you said. In time it will give us a picture of the number of people who experience the issue but maybe likely not an accurate picture of the percentage of users with it.

The idea behind the other questions was to also include those who have no issues and complain when people complain. I wanted to gauge what everyone thought was as acceptable lifetime for high end VR hardware as well as what people thought was an acceptable way to treat their customers for out of warranty failures.

I'm pretty sure most reasonable people don't expect Oculus to be a charity and deal with all hardware issues free of charge forever. All most of us ask is a fairly priced paid option to repair/replace the headset instead of having to buy a whole new headset + accessories.

Again I have to make it clear Oculus support have been awesome for me and are replacing my headset so I'm not one of these jaded support victims. I just want to get some idea of how common the issue is because Oculus for obvious legal/business reasons will likely never address the problem publicly unless it gets way too common.

The general data on how long it took to break and what kind of success they had with staff etc is all still really interesting and useful though.

Yeah I'm keen to see how it evolves. I've been tracking threads on reddit and here complaining about the right audio issue since launch and there were some spikes in complaints but no real pattern emerged. Support are being pretty good for most users out of warranty (~50% replacement rate) but that could be dependent on the country they are in based on consumer protection laws (hence the country Q)

It can happen at any time it seems I've seen users report it after a few weeks and others like me after 20 months.

https://imgur.com/xKDcJIh
  • MadMax1998MadMax1998 Posts: 51
    Hiro Protagonist
    Support first asked me the usual things, like "try another USB port" and I replied that I have identified exactly what the problem is and it must be the headphone. A day later I got to send them my proof of purchase, S/N and shipping address and even though I was told to wait since they are currently under heavy load, they sent me replacement headphones (a full set!) a few days later; it didn't even take a week from opening the ticket until I had them delivered! They also didn't ask me to send in the faulty one. Very nice job, support!

If I get around to it, I can now mess with the broken headphone and see how to come up with a fix (probably have to replace the cable). My guess is other Rift owners will face this issue down the road and someone has to find a fix.
    Art3mis
    If I get around to it, I can now mess with the broken headphone and see how to come up with a fix (probably have to replace the cable). My guess is other Rift owners will face this issue down the road and someone has to find a fix.
    Be keen to see lots of detailed pics of the headphone internals if you can take them. While the ribbon cable problem is a completely different issue this one is an interesting one which luckily can be fixed with a simple replacement part. The ribbon cable is not so easy to fix sadly.
  • WildtWildt Posts: 1,937 Valuable Player
    edited February 2018
    I got a refurbished one as a replacement - looks newish enough, and the audio is working perfectly so I'm content. Only took 7 days from they picked up my unit until I had the replacement. That was nice.
    Asus Z370-A ||  Watercooled 8700K || 16 GB gSkill DDR4 3200 || Samsung SSD 840PRO 256GB+850PRO 256GB+850EVO 500GB+970EVO 1TB || Watercooled FE Geforce 1080ti || Zalman Reserator XT watercooler || TPcast wireless adapter || MamutVR Gun stock V3 || Asus ROG PG279Q  G-sync monitor
  • MotamanITMotamanIT Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Same issue here... Send it for replacement (bought on amazon), hope the new one will be ok...
  • johnco61johnco61 Posts: 48
    Brain Burst
    I have to send mine back again for the same problem, don't look good for the future, I don't like the idea of getting a used one back ether
  • jtonyhdzjtonyhdz Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    Same here. I am really pissed off. I live in Nicaragua and sending back the product will cost me at least two hundred dollars. Come on. Bougth on Amazon 399 plus 100 for shipping in hollydays and two month later get breaked. Any advise?
  • BoondawgleBoondawgle Posts: 20
    Brain Burst
    I am also having this issue. I thought it was a driver issue at first but I find that if I mess with the strap or screw I am able to get audio from the right side for a little while which makes me believe it is the connection or cable. Mine is a pre-order. 
  • DigitalSurveysDigitalSurveys Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    same problem here, right speaker goosed. if you fiddle with the strap comes on intermittently. Also my headset to pc cable has worn through to wire in places even though only had limited use.  Really not impressed with quality cant see it lasting that long.
    Art3mis
    edited March 2018
    You should both contact support and see how you go regardless of preorder or not. I'm still surprised that ~40% of the people with this issue don't contact support based on the survey I put together a month ago.

I'm sure it will take a few months before most people see or bother with the survey.

• PIXELATEDPIXELATED Posts: 241
    Nexus 6
    @pheonixdigital I've filled in your survey + thanks for the time you spent creating it.
    The right handside earphone on my CV1 has stopped working <18 months of light use.
    I was one of those who said i hadn't contacted support in your survey because of all the hassle I went through the last time my headset went faulty. 
    My partner bought it for me as a special birthday gift (arrived Summer 2016 @ full price!) so had to ask her to deal with Oculus because they refused to believe it was mine... long story short we eventually got there.
    So now it looks like I have to go through everything again... is it plugged in? what drivers/computer do you have? Can you ask the person who bought it for you to contact us so we can ask her lots of really complicated questions about a device she doesn't use!!!
    Encouraged by this thread, I'm going to submit a support ticket. Refer Oculus to this thread and hopefully they will have a record of the last time they replaced my headset.. 
    I've a feeling two years warranty for UK users is going to be tested.. but I am sincerely concerned for those who only have one year as this 'design fault' or use of inferior components in the earphone mechanism will not go away.
    Good luck everyone.
    Win 10 Pro, GTX 1080, Asus Z170 Deluxe, Nvidia 391.35
    Nexus 6
    ^^Support ticket submitted^^ Fingers crossed... but I'm guessing they are pretty busy today  :(
  • BBZ149BBZ149 Posts: 30
    Brain Burst
    johnco61 said:
    I have to send mine back again for the same problem, don't look good for the future, I don't like the idea of getting a used one back ether
    Dont worry about getting a refurb back, if like my replacement then it was like brand new!!
    Art3mis
    Yeah refurbs are just fine. He are some pics of my recently replaced Rift.

https://imgur.com/a/WbjYI

I suspect they might just keep the internals boards and lens/screen assemblies due to there being no plastic covers on the lenses. The cloth exterior was spotless so I reckon that part is completely new.

The Rift was pretty much perfect apart from the fact it no longer worked with my 3m extension cables.

Brain Burst
    edited March 2018
    Yeah refurbs are just fine. He are some pics of my recently replaced Rift.

https://imgur.com/a/WbjYI

I suspect they might just keep the internals boards and lens/screen assemblies due to there being no plastic covers on the lenses. The cloth exterior was spotless so I reckon that part is completely new.

The Rift was pretty much perfect apart from the fact it no longer worked with my 3m extension cables.

Thats strange! when I had to send mine back they wanted the complete Boxed unit back and replaced it with another completly Boxed mint refurb unit, sensors and Controler ETC! Which I thought was a bit stupid IMO as the problem was just with the Headset!! Maybe they finally worked out it's just better and cheaper to replace the faulty part LMFAO!!
  • superdave132superdave132 Posts: 17
    NerveGear
    edited March 2018
    Today I lost sound in both ears of my CV1 headset,I fixed the sound by loosening both straps to their full extent, then tightening the headset screws all the way down to their full seated rotation. Then I backed down the screw in one ear to align the screw head vertically, not horizontally. Then tried the headset on again to listen for sound. no sound, backed down the screw head another half turn to vertical alignment. hear sound. Then repeat the process for the left ear until you hear sound again. I believe the pressure of the screws and the alignment are important for the sound to work properly. hope this helps someone get their sound back.
    Art3mis
    BBZ149 said:

Thats strange! when I had to send mine back they wanted the complete Boxed unit back and replaced it with another completly Boxed mint refurb unit, sensors and Controler ETC! 
    I'm guessing that was quite a while ago?

With the prevalence of this issue maybe they thought "Geez we better streamline this a bit more because this issue is costing us a lot of money".

Good to hear yours was a simple fix superdave132. As you can see from the pics in my linked thread some people have a torn/cracked ribbon cable which no amount of headset screw tweaking will ever fix.
    Nexus 6
    UPS return label has arrived. Sending off today.
    Oculus ask for the headset only, no accessories and to be sent in plain box (not the one the original it came in) and say I may get a refurb replacement.
    Hope the faceplate is a fresh one (-;
    Brain Burst
    BBZ149 said:

Thats strange! when I had to send mine back they wanted the complete Boxed unit back and replaced it with another completly Boxed mint refurb unit, sensors and Controler ETC! 
    I'm guessing that was quite a while ago?

With the prevalence of this issue maybe they thought "Geez we better streamline this a bit more because this issue is costing us a lot of money".

Good to hear yours was a simple fix superdave132. As you can see from the pics in my linked thread some people have a torn/cracked ribbon cable which no amount of headset screw tweaking will ever fix.
    Yeah, indeed it was Feb 2017! 
  • Jay_RandomJay_Random Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Left ear piece stopped working yesterday... Removed it and cleaned it and reconnected. Issue resolved. Thanks :)
    Nexus 6
    edited March 2018
    I received a refurbished headset this morning (19th March - by UPS) 9 days after sending the last one back for the earpiece issue. Pretty good turn around....... BUT...
    The refurbished unit has a fault!!! Everytime the headset is adjusted (straps or hand holding headset) it disconnects. The plug/s is/are seated properly at both ends.. Grrrr!  Why can't these units be tested properly before being sent out?
    I have updated support ticket with all logs required and hope, yet again, that i can receive a fully functional CV1
    Sooo disappointed :'(

UPDATE 1: Replacement refurbished Rift sent back today (20th March - by UPS) hoping for another replacement headset that fully works. £10 credited to my oculus account for the inconvenience.

UPDATE 2: 2nd Refurbished Rift received today (28th March - by UPS) Initially the right side headset did not work but after some swapping L-R and swapping again R-L a couple of times resulted in stereo at last !
    BUT... both lenses on the refurbished headset look like they'd been cleaned with a dirty mop - scratches and smears - 'GodRays' like never before - Ticket updated again... and waiting for responce.

Picture to follow..

Difficult to tell in this photo but i kept my lenses perfect from day one.. There are scratches and internal bits and smears in the refurbished unit. Such a shame Oculus quality control are lacking when their support are on the ball.  

I'm assured they are sending me a brand new headset.
  • cyberealitycybereality Posts: 26,156 Oculus Staff
    The refurbished units are tested, but it's possible something was missed. Please give us a moment to respond on your ticket. Thanks.
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
    Brain Burst
    edited March 2018
    The refurbished units are tested, but it's possible something was missed. Please give us a moment to respond on your ticket. Thanks.

So Oculus Staff Member? Can you confirm if this design fault has been rectified with the replacement units? or do I have this problem to look forward to again in the future? Think I’ll be jumping to a Vive Pro if this problem rears its ugly Head again!!

Art3mis
    edited March 2018
    BBZ149 said:

Can you confirm if this design fault has been rectified with the replacement units? 

I've been trying to get an answer on this for over a year. Good luck getting a response :) Acknowledging the design change means acknowledging that there was a design flaw. Pretty sure it just aint going to happen.

I think the only way we will tell is if people start tearing down recent units to see if they have made changes.

Think I’ll be jumping to a Vive Pro if this problem rears its ugly Head again!!

Best of luck with that. Based on the posts I see around HTC support staff barely have a pulse and leave customers waiting literally months without controllers or headsets for the simplest of problems. It is as if they deliberately give their customers the constant runaround just waiting for them to give up.

Oculus support have been pretty damn good when it comes to dealing with this particular issue for the majority of people (both inside and outside of warranty)