New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Right-side headphone stopped functioning.

Comments

• johnco61johnco61 Posts: 48
    Brain Burst

I agree the service from Oculus is great, I have just received my second replacement for this fault, posted last Monday and received it back yesterday. The unit looks new so I’m not complaining; I’m going to tape the strap in place this time to stop it moving so I shouldn’t get this problem again.  I sent it back without the power cable as requested but I was sent the rift with a new cable fitted so I have a spare cable out of it two

It’s a shame if this keeps happening as replacements cost money and someone has to pay for this, if the problem is with the way the ribbon is fitted then that will affect everyone in the long run.  Other than this I think that the Rift is an fantastic product

• jaybegood67jaybegood67 Posts: 8
    NerveGear
    I have cybereality, twice. But am now 100% sure that it is a hardware issue. I took the facecam of my iPhone to see the infrared LEDs. The ones on the front and sides of the headset are working just fine. But the ones on the head straps are turning off. When the slide rails on the head set are pulled all the way back, everything is working just fine. But once they move forward even the slightest, all power to the headphones and the back infrared LEDs cuts off. I have even gone as far as taking a voltmeter to check the power, and no Power at all once it moves forward. What is keeping me from fixing it myself is that I thing I'm still under warranty. But I guess I can't even send it in for a replacement because I lost the receipt from a year and a half ago.
    Well fellow travellers, I have had 2 rifts now....my original replaced because of the faulty ribbon cable issue (right side audio disappeared) and my current and much used replacement rift....exact same fault...identical in nature. So I bought a decent pair of Corsair wireless ear-cans  and I now use them permanently. I spent money on new phones while still in warranty for my Rift for two reasons....
    1. I really enjoy my oculus rift and don't particularly want to look elsewhere for my VR fix.
    2. I have absolutely no faith at all in the fact that this wont happen again....for a third time!!
    So, the convenience of having the headphones right there on the headset has been forfeited simply because I now doubt the product (or at least that one aspect of it)...sad but true. This is, unquestionably a design weakness It is a flaw that is built to fail....not deliberately, but because design has been chosen over functionality......I rest my case!
  • PIXELATEDPIXELATED Posts: 242
    Nexus 6
    edited March 2018
    Well fellow travellers, I have had 2 rifts now....my original replaced because of the faulty ribbon cable issue (right side audio disappeared) and my current and much used replacement rift....exact same fault...identical in nature. So I bought a decent pair of Corsair wireless ear-cans  and I now use them permanently. I spent money on new phones while still in warranty for my Rift for two reasons....
    1. I really enjoy my oculus rift and don't particularly want to look elsewhere for my VR fix.
    2. I have absolutely no faith at all in the fact that this wont happen again....for a third time!!
    So, the convenience of having the headphones right there on the headset has been forfeited simply because I now doubt the product (or at least that one aspect of it)...sad but true. This is, unquestionably a design weakness It is a flaw that is built to fail....not deliberately, but because design has been chosen over functionality......I rest my case!

Well my fellow travellers… I am expecting my 5th Rift 

My original was a launch CV1 bought by my partner, it was replaced v quickly due to hardware failure (probable overheating melting weak solder joints) two weeks after delivery. Then 18 months later it was replaced due to right hand side headphone not working issue, then after testing the 3rd replacement had a different fault (sent back RMA) similar to first one and a 4th refurbished (sent back RMA) had scratched eyepieces and intermittent right earpiece issues. 

Oculus support have been excellent in responding to all issues… tis a real shame that quality control of refurbished units are not up to standard - Real shame.

We're all there with new tech yeh..? stretchy wires, contacts on runners in head sets, positioning to fit every eye, face and body on the planet.. but the company that wins is the one who takes on a challenge and provides great customer service. 

I'm expecting a 'brand new' replacement via UPS any day now.. It may break in another 2 years but I'll be preserved in a hologram and eating happy mashed food by then.

Win 10 Pro, GTX 1080, Asus Z170 Deluxe, Nvidia 391.35
    Nexus 6
    edited April 2018

^^^Update^^^: UPS are delivering a "New" 5th Rift on 5th April 2018 - Let's hope it is as good as most folk own and enjoy..

New update (3rd April): Brand new (not reconditioned) Rift promised, awaiting UPS shipping details - UK Bank hols have delayed replacement. Fingers crossed 'quality control' get it right this time (-:

Update, Brand new headset arrived, plugged it in and Black screen issue happenned... cut a long story short reinstalled everything and didn't use the extension cable i'd been using since day one and everything works..for now. Good luck everyone. 'Support' have been brilliant despite my frustration with the product.

• EzdineGEzdineG Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    We bought a Rift this last Christmas and are now seeing the same issue from the right headphone.  There's a sweet spot in the head strap where it will work, but it is about 1 mm and impossible to keep. 

Just created a ticket, hope they take care of this.
  • TotalfarsaTotalfarsa Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    IF I have a faulty Rift, will Oculus send me a replacement/repair it under warranty even though I'm the second owner (the Rift itself is still within its timelimit for warranty)?
    Nexus 6
    edited April 2018
    IF I have a faulty Rift, will Oculus send me a replacement/repair it under warranty even though I'm the second owner (the Rift itself is still within its timelimit for warranty)?
    I guess NO is your answer
    My Rift was bought for me by a collection of friends by my girlfriend - who eventually made the transaction.
    I've had to send it back 5 time since launch and everything's great for now...
    BUT..
    I've had to do everything through my GF guest account as officially I'm not the owner! 
    You'll have to find the email receipt (electronic) off the original owner and work through replacement via them..

Explain your situation to support in the nicest way and you might get lucky

Good luck
  • jmp909jmp909 Posts: 8
    NerveGear
    same here. right headphone. adjusting the strap worked for a bit but it's stopped working now.

just adding my +1
  • TickTockTickTock Posts: 200
    Nexus 6
    This has plagued me for about six months and continues to do so.  I can usually get it to come back on through changing USB port.  Some times I also have to restart the PC.  Very annoying.  Possibly related: My rift also some times gets the left/right audio swapped which can be very disorienting and makes certain game play impossible.
    "I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."
     -Groucho Marx
  • phoenixdigitalphoenixdigital Posts: 167
    Art3mis
    edited May 2018
    This has plagued me for about six months and continues to do so.

Have you contacted support at all?

It still astounds me that about 40% of people with this issue never bother contacting support when we know they are replacing headsets for the majority of users, even some who are outside of warranty. 40% based on the 50 responses to the survey I put together https://docs.google.com/forms/d/15DWS5lVTzBGwrgs-kmewo9m7AjrWoSuZrNaX7yeXA8U
    CPU: i5 6600K (conservative overclock), GPU: Asus GTX1080Ti (not overclocked), motherboard: Asus Z170 Pro Gaming, USB Card 1: Inatek 4 Port, USB Card 2: Startek 2 Port
  • TickTockTickTock Posts: 200
    Nexus 6
    8o
    Wow.  Thanks for the link. I didn't research this and had assumed this was a sw/driver issue since swapping usb ports or cycling power some times fixed it.  However, since I have to take off the headset to go to the computer I guess *that* was the real "fix"
    "I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."
     -Groucho Marx
  • SiasinSiasin Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    If your warranty expired, There's one solution you can choose. I solved it in the following way. https://youtu.be/Vy91uEcgK4g
    Art3mis
    edited June 2018
    Paragone said:
    If your warranty expired, There's one solution you can choose. I solved it in the following way. https://youtu.be/Vy91uEcgK4g

While definitely a suitable fix superglue sounds like a pretty extreme one way solution. I personally would prefer the electrical tape option so if something ever moves internally due to a headset jolt you can adjust the strap to get it working again.

Images below are primarily how to prevent the chance of ribbon cable failing however could be also done to fix the headset in a position where the headphones still work while also minimising the condition getting worse.

CPU: i5 6600K (conservative overclock), GPU: Asus GTX1080Ti (not overclocked), motherboard: Asus Z170 Pro Gaming, USB Card 1: Inatek 4 Port, USB Card 2: Startek 2 Port
  • KillCardKillCard Posts: 1,078
    Wintermute
    edited June 2018
    Paragone said:

Interesting.. however I feel like this would yield some mixed/unreliable results though.. if the cable is snapped, you are probably just holding it in a place where the snapped cable is still touching.

However that would mean that it could potentially stop touching or become disconnected with potential head movement/shaking, which would require you to somehow undo/redo the entire process to fix it.. would it not?

Please keep us posted if this ever happens to you after using that method. Very curious.
  • jamisonmillerjamisonmiller Posts: 42
    Brain Burst
    (copied from my ticket) 
    Greetings,
    I have just recently experienced a failure in the right headphone on my Oculus Rift. although in the past this has occurred with the left, this was due to the headphone coming loose over time and was fixed by simply tightening the connection with the tool provided. This time however the right has failed and cannot be resolved by the same solution. i even swaped the headphones over and found the right one was still not operational. leading me to belive this is internal failure of wireing.
    it was unexpected an sudderen, was just playing a game when suddely the right headphone crackeled and just died.

is there an easy fix to this? hopefully something wrong has occured on my end that is easilly fixable.

Kind regards
    Jamison

-so clearly I am far from the only one experiencing this ^ hope this gets resolved for all of us soon!...
  • PabbertPabbert Posts: 223
    Nexus 6
    Oh I see this is a common problem then, opened a ticket. Only got this unit in February.
  • Calimero_OeufCalimero_Oeuf Posts: 53
    Hiro Protagonist
    I now have this problem no sound on right speaker after more than 1 year and a half or more of use.
    How do you contact Oculus team ?
    Ma configuration Oculus Rift + 3 capteurs et câbles longueur 5 mètres :
    Cable USB 3.0 en 5 mètres x4
    Cable HDMI en 5 mètres x1
    Répétiteur HDMI x1
    Hub USB 3.0 pour 1 ou 2 capteurs x1
    Hub USB alimenté pour le casque  x1

• PabbertPabbert Posts: 223
    Nexus 6
    I now have this problem no sound on right speaker after more than 1 year and a half or more of use.
    Here we go - https://support.oculus.com/
  • Calimero_OeufCalimero_Oeuf Posts: 53
    Hiro Protagonist
    Pabbert said:
    Here we go - https://support.oculus.com/
    Thanks
    Ma configuration Oculus Rift + 3 capteurs et câbles longueur 5 mètres :
    Cable USB 3.0 en 5 mètres x4
    Cable HDMI en 5 mètres x1
    Répétiteur HDMI x1
    Hub USB 3.0 pour 1 ou 2 capteurs x1
    Hub USB alimenté pour le casque  x1

• LitespeedLitespeed Posts: 329
    Trinity
    Got this issue now after 2 years and 3 months of flawless operation. That means out of warranty unfortunately.
    I fixed it by locking the right strap with tape as described by @phoenixdigital. Works ok for now but the reduced flexibility makes it a lot more cumbersome to get the HMD on and off with glasses.

• cyberealitycybereality Posts: 26,156 Oculus Staff
    You should contact us anyhow. There may be some options available. Thanks.
    https://support.oculus.com/
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
  • RavenWorksRavenWorks Posts: 65
    Hiro Protagonist
    This just happened to me -- I tried the tricks about fixing it in place, but it's not enough; the sweet spot that I have to hit is so small, that even just turning my head will jostle it back into not working again.

I need this headset for work; how long does it take to get it repaired or replaced? Is there any way for me to open the straps up and tape the torn cable back together inside or something? (And are they finally building the headsets in a way where this problem won't happen any more with the replacements, or should I just switch to Vive?)
  • cyberealitycybereality Posts: 26,156 Oculus Staff
    Please contact us first before trying any DIY solutions. If you open the headset or modify it, it may void your warranty. RMA times can vary, but usually it's less than 12 business days after the RMA has been approved. You can submit a ticket here, thanks. https://support.oculus.com/
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
    Art3mis
    (And are they finally building the headsets in a way where this problem won't happen any more with the replacements, or should I just switch to Vive?)
    Unfortunately they won;t acknowledge the issue publicly however they are reasonably good at replacing units even those outside of 12 months. The fact that this is still happening with new units means they might not have 100% addressed the issue sadly.

You could buy a Vive but instead of a 12 day turnaround you might be looking at a few months turn around if they even bother repairing it for you.
  • chilipopperchilipopper Posts: 4
    NerveGear
    edited September 2018
    I bought my rift in may 2017. just started getting ribbon cable issue today, lost audio on right earphone and will only work when i find the 1mm sweet spot with tention straps, as many have stated here. I just wrote a ticket, hopefully their policy regarding this issue being not limited by warranty is still holding. 

Edit: Pretty much lost right side audio at this point, even when fiddling with the straps. I am in an ongoing conversation with support but haven't heard from them since last week. I still am waiting for any kind of acknowledgement of the problem or any instructions to help resolve the issue. I wish I hadn't bought the oculus earbuds... sure could have spent that money on a working Bluetooth headset instead...
  • StarkadiusStarkadius Posts: 19
    NerveGear
    edited November 2018
    Count me in as another victim of this known issue. I would use my Oculus Rift every now and then rarely ever adjusting it if at all. All of a sudden last week the right side headphone stopped working exactly as described here and other postings I have found. A day later, the left headphone also stopped working which worried me because that meant the entire connection on the headband must have been affected as well. So I checked via a camera to see if the LEDs at the back of the Rift would be visible and sure enough they stopped working as well. Now I have an Oculus Rift with no audio and limited sensor sensitivity. No way to fix it myself.

I was a pre-order Oculus Rift owner and paid the launch price of $599.99 back in 2016. I submitted a ticket with support and told them of this issue. Their response was that it is out of warranty and can only sell me a refurbished unit. As a pioneer customer that believed in this product I feel completely let down by Facebook/Oculus. This is an issue that they have known about and refused to fix it or offer replacements for those affected even beyond the warranty which is at no fault of the customer? I spent $599.99+ on a product that barely lasted me 2 years because it was designed to fail in this manner? This doesn't event take into account the Oculus Touch, extra sensor and recommended USB card all to use this product. Now all of it is useless.

Sorry but I will no longer support this company and will look elsewhere to spend my money. Huge disappointment.
    [update: Oculus Support provided a replacement]
  • Muskoka1Muskoka1 Posts: 27
    Brain Burst
    edited October 2018
    Bought my rift Aug 2017, under "normal" use the right speaker was gone by Oct 2017, so well within the warranty period. Support was very helpful , and they took care of everything, but I was sent a refurbished unit, which I wasn't excited about. It's now a year later, and everything is still fine, hardware wise. 
    MSI Z370 Gaming Plus - i5 9600k 5ghz 1.325 vcore (60c when gaming) - 32gb 2666 - 1080ti - Win 10 Pro - Rift S - Rift CV1
    Art3mis
    edited October 2018
    With the release of CV2 likely a year and a half or two years away I just wish they would resolve this problem with a redesign or a modest CV1.5.

It is pretty obvious this problem still exists with new units based on my survey which still has results trickling in. There is an apparent reduction in Sept 2017 which could indicate some minor design modification internally however it is still happening for new users. This means the issue could still impact new buyers in the coming years. Oculus are sitting on a PR nightmare as more and more of these units fail for people outside of warranty.

Oculus have been good enough to replace about 50% of users units outside of warranty (including mine). They also started offering paid RMAs which is also awesome but at ~$250 with minimal warranty it is a bit of a steep price when compared to a new headset with new sensors, touch and warranty.

I still wish Oculus great success but while this model still exists I am very concerned for consumers.

Tape up your right slides people and help that Rift get through to Gen 2!

Edit: To the person that just filled out the survey. Talk to support now and get your issue resolved before you go beyond 12 months. Then tape up that right side.
  • StarkadiusStarkadius Posts: 19
    NerveGear
    Why is Oculus support providing replacements for some users out of warranty but not for others? That is no a fair practice.
    Art3mis
    edited October 2018
    Why is Oculus support providing replacements for some users out of warranty but not for others? 
    Likely related to consumer laws being stronger some countries and weaker in others. The survey results posted earlier seem to indicate this as well even with the limited sample size. USA/Canada have about a 40% free RMA beyond 12 months. Whereas EU and AU have 100%.

Most companies usually include this warranty obligation in the price of goods. One of the factors for increased prices in Australia and EU compared to USA. Manufacturers are on the hook for longer warranties so increase the costs slightly to maintain their bottom line.

So it is not totally unfair. You get cheaper prices but shorter warranties. You win some you lose some.

They still need a complete redesign of this strap though.