Right-side headphone stopped functioning. - Page 8 — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Right-side headphone stopped functioning.

1234568»

Comments

• StarkadiusStarkadius Posts: 19
    NerveGear
    Why is Oculus support providing replacements for some users out of warranty but not for others? 
    Likely related to consumer laws being stronger some countries and weaker in others. The survey results posted earlier seem to indicate this as well even with the limited sample size. USA/Canada have about a 40% free RMA beyond 12 months. Whereas EU and AU have 100%.

Most companies usually include this warranty obligation in the price of goods. One of the factors for increased prices in Australia and EU compared to USA. Manufacturers are on the hook for longer warranties so increase the costs slightly to maintain their bottom line.

So it is not totally unfair. You get cheaper prices but shorter warranties. You win some you lose some.

They still need a complete redesign of this strap though.

That is my point though. I am a US customer and you mentioned that in the survey 40% of USA/Canada customers received free RMA beyond the 12 months. Why does there even exist 40%? Policies don't work that way. Either all customers experiencing this issue receive a free RMA at 100% or 0% are out of luck. You can't have both.

I would understand if they were very strict about it and no one at all received a free RMA but knowing that there are customers that did receive a free RMA upsets me as a faithful customer that really believed in this product and wants it to succeed.
    NerveGear
    I attempted once again to explain to Oculus Support in my ticket about other customers that received a free RMA outside the expired warranty period. I linked them to this topic and mentioned the survey specifically as well. Their reply was that since my warranty is passed 1 year there could be "no exceptions".

NerveGear
    Update:

After considerable pleading multiple times and pointing out various people experiencing this issue, Oculus support provided me with a refurbished replacement Oculus Rift headset outside my warranty period. Even though it is "refurbished" for all intents and purposes it looks and feels new after a very careful inspection. I tested it for a few days and so far it is working great as the day i bought it. To prevent future issues with the right strap, I have decided to tape it using black electrical tape. This will keep it in place and the flex ribbon will not break again. The left side is fully adjustable so this is a good compromise. I wish i wouldn't have to resort to taping it but unless Oculus fixes this flaw, I am afraid it will just keep happening. 

I am grateful that Oculus Support finally provided me with a replacement but if this issue had not occurred and/or had Oculus support simply provided a replacement from the beginning without so much back and forth correspondence my faith in this product would not be at an all time low. For now though I will be skeptical in purchasing new Oculus products at launch but will simply wait a period of months or a year to see what problems people will have before buying one myself.
  • SunHawk7SunHawk7 Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    I also had my Rift affected by the loss of audio in the right headphone. I noticed that the tension had gone slack on that side as well when making an adjustment. A temporary fix was just using my audio headphones and altho the sound quality was higher, I was getting tracking issues from behind. 

Oculus support was very fast and supplied all shipping labels and I mailed it on Monday morning. Even tho they told me it would be 12+ days, I had a refurbished headset back in my hands on Saturday morning. That's fast. I am very satisfied with the efficiency and helpfulness of their support. I was a little skeptical of a refurbished headset, but for all intents and purposes, it looks and functions like brand new. 

I do remain very concerned about this issue and am much more conscious of how I put it on and off and assist friends and family with the same...esp. those with melon heads.

• RoenarisRoenaris Posts: 57
    Hiro Protagonist
    I also have this problem, on both of mine... First it started out as just the right ear, and then all the sound left after a couple weeks! It’s unfortantly something a lot of people have with there Oculus’s😭😞
  • dawn-chandawn-chan Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    edited December 2018
    I had the same problem and fixed it. 

1. Tighten screws first - if it doesn't work - unscrew both headphones and swap them. 
    2. After swapping headphones - if the headphone (left/ right) that worked before doesn't work - it's a cable problem. If not, it's a headphone problem.
    3. You can purchase replacement cable or headphones here: https://www.oculus.com/rift/accessories/

I see I am 2 years too late, but I hope this'll help someone!
  • phoenixdigitalphoenixdigital Posts: 166
    Art3mis
    edited December 2018
    dawn-chan said:
    I had the same problem and fixed it. 

Humour me and try putting the original cable back in and let me know if it works.

Audio is sent via USB signals in the cable to the headset. There is no specific wire for left/right audio in the headset cable to the PC.

I suspect the action of you moving the strap and slides around by swapping the cable and headphones just pushed the failing internal ribbon cable into a working position again..... for now.

https://imgur.com/a/fJboz
    CPU: i5 6600K (conservative overclock), GPU: Asus GTX1080Ti (not overclocked), motherboard: Asus Z170 Pro Gaming, USB Card 1: Inatek 4 Port, USB Card 2: Startek 2 Port
  • marek.bortnowskimarek.bortnowski Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    po prostu dokręci słuchawkę narzędziem dołączonym do zestawu
    Art3mis
    po prostu dokręci słuchawkę narzędziem dołączonym do zestawu
    Dokręcenie śruby rozwiązuje to dla niektórych osób, ale istnieje również poważny problem z wewnętrznym kablem wewnątrz paska na głowę, który pęka z powodu wad konstrukcyjnych.

CPU: i5 6600K (conservative overclock), GPU: Asus GTX1080Ti (not overclocked), motherboard: Asus Z170 Pro Gaming, USB Card 1: Inatek 4 Port, USB Card 2: Startek 2 Port
  • meshiyat-12meshiyat-12 Posts: 4
    NerveGear
    Teirdalin said:
    "Try removing it, blowing on the connection, and reattaching (sounds silly, but I've fixed this same problem like that). You can remove the headphone piece using the little black screw-driver that comes in the box. See if that helps." [URL=https://downloader.vip/torrent-sites/][color=#000000]Torrent[/color][/URL] [URL=https://downloader.vip/turbotax/][color=#000000]TurboTax[/color][/URL] [URL=https://downloader.vip/gogoanime/][color=#000000]Gogoanime[/color][/URL]

Alright, just tried it; same thing.  Didn't know these come off so easily, that's pretty cool.  Seems to randomly flicker on/off while adjusting the strap.
    It's most likely a loose connection inside the HMD near where it comes out into the strap.
  • johnathan.chandlerjohnathan.chandler Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    My rift started doing this, this evening, I have readjusted the head band and it is working now, but I think it is only a matter of positioning it on my head, when it will fail again, I got the rift over the summer, would it still be covered?
  • DocHoliday69DocHoliday69 Posts: 4
    NerveGear
    Mine is 3 days used and started doing it today, bought it December 20th 2018. Just finished my new PC so I could use rift. Unbelievable that this hasn't been addressed, with a fix yet. If the screw doesn't fix it I'll use my beats ear buds, no way am I going to rma it and get a refurbished replacement. I've been so dam careful handling it that I can't understand it doing this.  This is a recall problem!!
    Art3mis
    edited January 27
     If the screw doesn't fix it I'll use my beats ear buds, no way am I going to rma it and get a refurbished replacement. I've been so dam careful handling it that I can't understand it doing this.  This is a recall problem!!
    Don't settle for that. If your headset is that new you could very easily request a new replacement and not an RMA. If the ribbon cable is the issue just get it replaced and tape up the right side. The rear triangle tracking LEDs will likely  fail eventually as well if the ribbon cable has started to fracture.

A headset that new though it is hopefully just a loose connection which you can fix with the screw.

My rift started doing this, this evening, I have readjusted the head band and it is working now, but I think it is only a matter of positioning it on my head, when it will fail again, I got the rift over the summer, would it still be covered?

It should be covered for a year (in USA) and 2 years (in EU or Australia). Talk to support as soon as possible and also read up on your local consumer protection laws. Too many people are are unaware of their consumer rights and all manufacturers know it.
    NerveGear
    https://www.roadtovr.com/oculus-founder-vows-create-audio-repair-kit-rifts-warranty/

This is how serious this issue is. Confirming that it is not a user caused issue but a defect in the Rift itself.
    NerveGear
    https://www.roadtovr.com/oculus-founder-giving-away-free-audio-repair-kits-warranty-rifts/

"For users with full audio failure, the kit allows you to directly tie-in external audio sources, presumably plugging into what appears to be the RR1’s integrated 3.5mm audio jack."

"...out-of-warranty Rift users can send a copy of their Oculus Support ticket and their mailing address to RiftRepairOne@gmail.com for their very own RR1 repair kit and setup instructions.

Luckey explains he’s releasing the free kit not only out of a duty to maintain the product he undersigned, but to keep the ecosystem healthy for the sort of powerusers that would run into the problem in the first place"

• Shelim23Shelim23 Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    edited February 24
    cbarish said:
    I went to support; they recommended that I tighten the (plastic?) screw that holds the earpiece to the headband. I backed it off a quarter-turn, tightened it to taste, and it's worked well ever since.
    Loosening the screw just a little seems to work as well as adjusting the strap but when the screw is tightened completely there is no sound coming out. This got it to work.  Poorly designed for regular use smh. Headphone jack does sound better now.

Actually now the telephone wire from the lower Connection on Both earphones is the only solution other than replacing it. Add black electrical tape to hold it to the head strap. And fixed.
  • jonaswayjonasway Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    hello people, unfortunately I have the same problem, I am from a distant country, and obviously they do not send me a new unit to my country. The truth is that I am very upset with this issue, so I read in the forums several years ago that there is this problem in the VR of oculus. I can not believe that they continue to sell new units with this problem and that they do not warn users in other countries. You are buying a product that in a few months has a safe defect. I would like that all users give advertising, because I think it is the only way the company may solve this problem and that people have the correct information before choosing this product.
  • rednekcowboy77rednekcowboy77 Posts: 11
    NerveGear
    edited March 15
    I love how there are all of these issues, yet amazingly any time a legitimate issue such as this defect (and yes, it is most definitely a defect due to poor build quality) is brought up, there is an army of internet warriors quick to flood the thread with a bunch of useless posts.  They always come in 3 waves.  First wave of the offensive is to completely deny the issue and treat the person reporting the issue like they are the only one ever on the face of the earth to have problems with the Rift.  Second wave of the offensive is to downplay the issue with a simple and effective workaround, delivered in a way that it is not really a big deal.  Final offensive is to go on the attack and discredit the OP by any means necessary.  It's one of the most aggressive PR blitzes I have ever seen deployed and is sickening.

Be a honest, responsible and reputable company.  Own up to your shortcomings.  Yes, we have a lower retail price but that will only meet the most basic of setups in ideal conditions.  "Optimal" play space, as defined by our own Guardian software can only be obtained by purchasing additional hardware that may significantly raise your costs so budget accordingly.  Yes we have hardware defects such as loss of audio, if you happen to experience this, please contact us ASAP for an RMA.  Yes we realize everyone's setup is unique, make a thread, submit a support ticket and we will summarize the root cause and the resolution for you by email and also post it in the thread you opened so the knowledge is passed on.

There is 1 of 2 ways that Oculus ended up in this position.  The devs outlined all of the issues and wanted to do exactly what I said above and the PR machine took over and we are in the position we are now or 2 the devs didn't fully fulfill the testing and basically said it's good enough for us, we'll deal with the issues as they come and left the rest of the business scrambling once the issues started pouring in.

Seeing as the issues stretch across all sides (integrity in advertising, build quality issues and buggy software) I would put my money on the first scenario that the business was warned and knew full well about all of these issues and proceeded anyways, screwing end users and their own devs in the process as well as ruining their reputation and is likely the real reason behind Brendan Iribe leaving the company.
  • d4rk122d4rk122 Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Enmark said:
    Sound disappeared on right earphone yesterday. noticed the screw was turned vertical. fastened it to it stopped moving and now  the sound is back!...  :)
    I just tried this and it worked! Thank you so much! I only signed in for this message xD.But I was about to cry if I need to send this out or having to buy a new one.
    Art3mis
    edited July 17
    d4rk122 said:
    I just tried this and it worked! Thank you so much! I only signed in for this message xD.But I was about to cry if I need to send this out or having to buy a new one.

You should think about the full or partial tape technique if you want some added protection to that dastardly ribbon cable.

https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/comment/618717/#Comment_618717
  • OlivierMDVYOlivierMDVY Posts: 10
    NerveGear
    Hello, today unfortunately I'm a new member of your club: my right side headphone stop functionning.
    Sometimes the left side too :(
    If I move the strap the sound can come back but not very often.

So if I'm right I have to RMA my headset?