New to the forums? Click here to read the How To guide. -- Developers click here.

Subnautica User Reviews

Shadowmask72Shadowmask72 Posts: 3,207 Power Poster
edited July 2016 in Games and Apps
Please post your rating of this game taking into consideration fun factor, value for money, overall polish and using the following criteria if you have purchased/played the game:

5 Stars - Awesome Must Buy
4 Stars - Very Good Not essential.
3 Stars - Average 
2 Stars - Below Average
1 Star  - Poor/ Avoid

System Specs: RTX 2080 ti , i7 4790K CPU, 16 GB RAM, Win 10 64 Bit OS.

Subnautica User Reviews 66 votes

5 STARS
25%
GernthRedRizlaNipocmaxpare79LitespeedsnowdogGrimPilgrimdreimer1986KlinK01Jordy74mplemmonsChowmeinParadiseDecayChrisTronGlargathDeathchyRuneSR2 17 votes
4 STARS
54%
lukwtwzweasel47jurrewolffabe1911BagnetZuraftaSerVitorLuluViBritanniaCobreeanShadowmask72Arock387benplaceJettStilesJohnMadduxMwilliams78Iblysitjf81[Deleted User]TwoHedWlfSqMonkey87 36 votes
3 STARS
9%
PablitoChrisharvzBrixmisSFGeriDuncan_DisorderlyElusiveMarlin 6 votes
2 STARS
6%
mbze430RuineddmdcsmMikeZwo 4 votes
1 STAR
4%
cybernettrGrimfistStairmand 3 votes
Tagged:

Comments

• weasel47weasel47 Posts: 299
    Nexus 6
    4 STARS
    I consider this a must-buy if the genre appeals to you!
  • ElunedraElunedra Posts: 87
    Hiro Protagonist
    4 STARS
    The game is awsome, if it runs, most of time i just get a black screen after the meno when it fails to inialise the world
  • nroskonrosko Posts: 904
    Neo
    4 STARS
    4* the game is original & i love these type of games, visually really cool. 
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 12,412 Power Poster
    4 STARS
    It's not really my cup o' tea but I can't deny the addiction factor if you're someone who enjoys crafting, exploration, with mild adventure.
    Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
  • CrashFuCrashFu Posts: 1,399 Poster of the Week
    4 STARS
    Would have voted a 5 now but there's a couple bugs in the VR edition that get in the way (not majorly, just... I've temporarily shelved it until the fix comes, because I don't want them to distract me from the awesomeness) and there are still some planned features that haven't been implemented yet.

By the time it's finished (or at least hits 'gold release' status) it will definitely be a 5.
    The next nerd to cry about "the resolution" of top-of-the-line VR devices will be permanently banned from using ALL standard-definition media.  And yes, that includes all pre-Switch Nintendo games. Especially Melee.
  • maxpare79maxpare79 Posts: 1,761 Poster of the Week
    5 STARS
    With Elite and Pcars this is one of my top experience
    I am a spacesim/flightsim/racesim enthusiast first :-) I7 [email protected], 16gb RAM/ Asus 1080 Strix Former DK2 Owner/Gear VR owner/CV1
  • Shadowmask72Shadowmask72 Posts: 3,207 Power Poster
    4 STARS
    Good, but surely it's time for better performance from the devs?
    They released an update today which includes performance boost and controller support for non VR playing.

• mbze430mbze430 Posts: 566
    Trinity
    2 STARS
    I got it because I SCUBA in real life.... but... it's totally not my type of game.  Collecting stuff to make other stuff and then try to survive.  I spend almost 2 hours in the game, and I still haven't gotten very far.
    i7-6900k @ 4.4ghz | Kingston Hyper 64GB DDR4 @ 3000mhz | SLI Nvidia Titan Xp | ASUS Strix Gaming X99 | Samsung 950 Pro 512GB PCIe/NVMe | 3x Samsung Pro 850 512GB RAID0 | 2x Samsung Pro 850 1TB RAID1 | Corsair AX1500i | Custom Water Cooling | Thermaltake Core X5
  • SakkuraSakkura Posts: 267
    Nexus 6
    4 STARS
    Once they polish the game it'll be an easy 5. They have ironed out the worst bugs by now, though performance could be better and a few rough spots remain. It's still my most played VR game and easily worth 4 stars.
  • JettStilesJettStiles Posts: 175
    Art3mis
    edited August 2016
    4 STARS
    Although I gave that game four stars I would NOT recommend buying it AT THIS TIME.

The latest update fucked up the controls for a lot of people (basically you are stuck in the main menu). Until this is fixed I'd recommend not buying it.
    Intel Xeon E3-1231v3 @ 3.40 Ghz -- Kingston Hyper X 8GB DDR3-1600 -- EVGA GTX980 ACX 2.0 -- Asus H97M-Plus -- Asus VG278H 120Hz 3D Monitor
  • Comic_Book_GuyComic_Book_Guy Posts: 1,077 Poster of the Week
    4 STARS
    Flashing geometry and piss poor performance in VR prevent me from giving it a 5. If those things were fixed, playing this in VR would be one of my top favorite experiences of all time.
  • TwoHedWlfTwoHedWlf Posts: 2,210 Valuable Player
    4 STARS
    Although I gave that game four stars I would NOT recommend buying it AT THIS TIME.

The latest update fucked up the controls for a lot of people (basically you are stuck in the main menu). Until this is fixed I'd recommend not buying it.
    I didn't have any issues with the last update, which was what?  A month or two ago?  Just had to reverse the buttons that scroll through the menu and the pitch axis, if I remember right.
  • JettStilesJettStiles Posts: 175
    Art3mis
    4 STARS
    TwoHedWlf said:
    I didn't have any issues with the last update, which was what?  A month or two ago?  Just had to reverse the buttons that scroll through the menu and the pitch axis, if I remember right.
    Aye..think about that time - had that problem ever since.

Sometimes I was able to bypass the problem by plugging the controller in and out while I'm in the main menu but unfortunately that helps only sometimes....:/

Then again..not much point for me in playing it at this time - the game also crashes every time I try to load a save game.

Been writing to their support about this a while ago (even sent some log files) but haven't heard anything from them.
    Intel Xeon E3-1231v3 @ 3.40 Ghz -- Kingston Hyper X 8GB DDR3-1600 -- EVGA GTX980 ACX 2.0 -- Asus H97M-Plus -- Asus VG278H 120Hz 3D Monitor
  • BrixmisBrixmis Posts: 2,171
    Project 2501
    3 STARS
    I gave it 3 stars. I would love to give it 5 - I do give it 5 on a monitor, in fact.

The problem is being restricted to the gamepad, and not being able to use the mouse and keyboard (maybe, with messing about, but not by default). Give me mouse & keyboard and I'll give you 5 stars! ;)

Oh - and a decent document guide for gameplay - i.e. not YouTube vids or the like. Who gives that it's early - just give us a guide for what is there and we can see what changes in the update news. Then have someone update the guide evey 6 months or so (I'll do it - for free - if you would let me know what has been changed).

• Duncan_DisorderlyDuncan_Disorderly Posts: 53
    Hiro Protagonist
    3 STARS
    Someone else in this thread said they wished they could give it 5 stars, but gave it 3 stars in VR and 5 stars on the monitor. I totally agree, but for slightly different reasons. 

For one, I was so eager to play Subnautica in VR, more than any other game. After first playing on the monitor, it's easy to see the appeal of playing in VR. Sadly, the experience was disappointing. Within a few minutes of playing, I felt sick. I found the best way to reduce this is to use your head to point and not the gamepad stick. Moving my view with the stick, especially when I was already moving, would have me breaking out in a sweat and feeling nauseous in no time. While pointing your head to direct where you're going reduces the effects significantly, after a bit of time, I found I inevitably felt sick anyway.

But, it's not just the motion sickness I found disappointing. The game itself looks tacky and too fuzzy. Flashing geometry was a constant nuisance, too. Hate to put the game down in VR, because I love this game normally.
  • BagnetBagnet Posts: 120
    Art3mis
    4 STARS
    Needs some optimization, lots of pop in happening, but the basic game is great. scuba fits really well while wearing a face mask. i did find when piloting the ships that my head was behind the characters neck but thats not the end of the world. Hard to read some parts of the text when its in the wrong place but at the end of the day its very playable. Sometimes can be hard to know what you need to do things but you soon learn. I gave it 4 just for the graphical issues.
  • ApplecorpApplecorp Posts: 741 Poster of the Week
    What kind of state is this in now for the Rift?

Tempted to get it in the Steam sale.
    Bought it, seems like it could be great if performance wasn't so atrocious. 

Refunded.
    4 STARS
    I own it but haven't really touched it since the first day.
    edited November 2016
    Try booting it up, would be interested to see how it performs. Shocking framerate and stutter for me.
    Project 2501
    3 STARS
    Really? I've never had performance issues with it and my PC is at the bottom end of the Rift req's.

edited November 2016
    Really, even in 2D on my Gsync monitor the framerate is all over the place, ranging from 90fps with frequent dips right down to 30fps. (GTX 980Ti)

• Comic_Book_GuyComic_Book_Guy Posts: 1,077 Poster of the Week
    edited November 2016
    4 STARS
    Applecorp said:
    What kind of state is this in now for the Rift?

Tempted to get it in the Steam sale.
    It got a update the other day. The long delay was supposedly some kind of mix up between the devs of Subnautica and Oculus. It's better but the sharks in the forest are WAY too aggressive now. I had a pack of 3 of them literally follow me all the way over to my life pod.
    Brixmis said:
    "Really? I've never had performance issues with it and my PC is at the bottom end of the Rift req's."

Sorry but there's no way you're immune to things that are not based on system to system specs. Stutter, frame rate drops, pop in, etc are issues with the current build as well as the current VR implementation. I suggest you don't mind or don't notice or care not having a higher end system.

edited November 2016
    4 STARS

Sorry but there's no way you're immune to things that are not based on system to system specs. Stutter, frame rate drops, pop in, etc are issues with the current build as well as the current VR implementation. I suggest you don't mind or don't notice or care not having a higher end system.

Every time someone reports that they don't have the same problems as you, you're immediate response is to claim they must be lying. You need to accept the fact that sometimes other people have an honest sincere better experience with things than you do.
    4 STARS
    Applecorp said:
    Try booting it up, would be interested to see how it performs. Shocking framerate and stutter for me.
    I loaded it up about 2 hours ago and couldn't stop playing. I started a new game and got addicted lol

My settings are on Medium and some of the loading areas glitched for a quick second, but a good 90% of the gameplay was problem free. I've experienced much worse with Nevermind and Obduction.

In this 2-hour playthrough I built the Repair Tool and a new Suit. I finally logged off when this guy showed up to party...

Huh, Nevermind is fine for me. These bloody PC's are so inconsistent. 

Something else that was "broken" for me in Subnautica was the subtitles were showing way off the lens right at the bottom so I could barely see them, same for the depth meter at the top of the screen.  Do you get that?
  • Shadowmask72Shadowmask72 Posts: 3,207 Power Poster
    4 STARS
    Don't forget you can do this.

Project 2501
    edited November 2016
    3 STARS
    Shame - I recently uploaded a video to YT of that damn Leviathan attacking me in my Moth, but I deleted it yesterday during channel housekeeping. I've never had performance issues with Subnautica, 2D or VR.
    i5 2500k at 4.3GHz, 16GB 2133MHz DDR3, 850evo SSD and a GTX970 G1 Gaming, all on an Asus Z77 mobo.

4 STARS
    Thanks for re-posting that video @Shadowmask72 ;

It's truly an inspirational achievement, and I wants it! That's your personal vid from your own machine, right?
    Really wish this game didn't run like crap on my PC, what little I played I really liked.

Why does it run so poorly for some but not others?