cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recommend some good 3D Movies!

CrashFu
Consultant
Watching 3D movies on the Oculus Rift (or alternative headset) in your virtual cinema of choice is AWESOME, as anyone who has gotten it to work will tell you, and there's clearly a common interest in the experience judging from the number of threads asking HOW to get them to work..

But this thread isn't about how to watch 3D movies on the Rift (just look up any of those other threads for that) This thread is about what to watch!  In other words, recommend movies that you think look awesome in 3D, ones where the filming / effects were done really well and where the 3D adds significantly to the movie experience.   Feel free to write up a mini-review or link to someplace the film can legally be acquired.

So far, I've tried two different films myself, Zootopia  and Mad Max: Fury Road,  both ripped from 3D BluRays I own.  Both were phenomenal!

Zootopia is of course one of Disney's newest blockbusters, a computer-animated movie about a world where animals are civilized and humans never existed.  Let me reassure you, this is a very well-written Family Film, not a dumb, low-standards Kids Movie, so even a full-grown adult like myself can enjoy it without shame or fear of awkward musical numbers.  The CG-animated world is ultra-detailed and vibrantly colorful and really comes alive with the depth of 3D added.

Mad Max: Fury Road may be a gritty live-action post-apocalyptic action film where most of the world is dingy and brown, but it looks equally amazing in 3D, thanks to being originally filmed in 3D and done almost entirely with practical effects.  That's right, almost all the flying car wreckage and explosions (which make up like 80% of the movie) are real, not CG post-processing!  Even the flame-thrower guitar was a real, 100% functioning prop (although it weighed about 100lbs and iDTA, the musician playing it, is on record for saying it was the worst-sounding guitar he's ever played).   There's just one scene I can think of with a really obviously fake jump-out-of-the-screen type 3D effect added, and it's (a borderline comical) icing on the cake of the most climactic part of the film.

I'm thinking of adding James Cameron's Avatar, or Coraline to my 3D collection next, because I've seen both in 3D before and they were great (Avatar in the theaters, with polarized glasses, and Coraline on a DVD that included an Anaglyph mode and the appropriate glasses right there in the DVD case).    I'm also thinking of getting TronPacific Rim, and maybe Paranorman ... all movies I really enjoyed but have only seen in 2D so far.  Anyone here seen the 3D versions of those already, who would recommend them?
It's hard being the voice of reason when you're surrounded by unreasonable people.
9 REPLIES 9

Shadowmask72
Honored Visionary
I'm not going to write massive write ups on each video but here are some recommendations  as I've watched loads of 3D movies on the GearVR and some now on the Rift.

Off the top of my head:

Sin City 2 - excellent
Transformers Age of Extinction - v.good
Wreck it Ralph - Good
Resident Evil Degeneration (animated movie) Great
Silent Hill 2 - Actually has Jon Snow (Kit Harington) as the one of the characters. Good.
The Adventures of Tintin (long ass movie) Good.
Dredd - Good
Guardians of the Galaxy - Good
Jupiter Ascending - good
Avengers Age of Ultron - Good
San Andreas - not bad.

System Specs: MSI NVIDIA RTX 4090 , i5 13700K CPU, 32GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 11 64 Bit OS.

Roaster
Rising Star
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBUfikFZJqo
Excellent 3D and strange as you like it.  Don't worry about the Russian dialog, just let it roll.
i7-5820K @ 4.2Ghz, water cooled, Asus X99-Pro USB 3.1, 48 Gb DDR4 2400, Samsung 950 pro M.2 SSD, GTX 980 Ti SC, 750w psu

leo1954au
Adventurer
I tried to get Avatar 3D Mpeg4 to work but it will not show in my movies and all I get is a blank square with the movie name and that's all, Have tried encoding it from 1920x1080 to 1920x540 and still nothing so I tried 1280x720 still without luck

Shadowmask72
Honored Visionary
Try this man. Looks great in the Rift. Select 4K version for best quality.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vESbz09CVms

System Specs: MSI NVIDIA RTX 4090 , i5 13700K CPU, 32GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 11 64 Bit OS.

CrashFu
Consultant
@leo1954au  - what program are you using to encode? Some work better than others, and if you didn't get the file from the blu-ray itself *ahem*  then it might not have been encoded properly (or in side-by-side format) to begin with.

It's hard being the voice of reason when you're surrounded by unreasonable people.

leo1954au
Adventurer
I used Media converter 8 and it is in side by side format, Also had the same problems with my home movies I took on my last trip to the Philippines and there not 3D

Shadowmask72
Honored Visionary
I wasn't joking crashfu, the 3D is pretty awesome despite the subject matter being a bit racy. I concede it's not a movie per se but worth watching all the same.

LZoltowski
Champion
Gravity
Beowulf 
Titanic (3D version) is pretty neat
The Nightmare Before Christmas 3D

Best way to get 3d content is to buy a 3d Blu-ray .. then rip the contents and convert into H.265 FULL SBS, much better resolution that way,  DvdFab9 is the tool I use.
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂