Farlands User Reviews — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Farlands User Reviews

Shadowmask72Shadowmask72 Posts: 3,663 Valuable Player
edited July 2016 in Games and Apps
Please post your rating of this game taking into consideration fun factor, value for money, overall polish and using the following criteria if you have purchased/played the game:

5 Stars - Awesome Must Buy
4 Stars - Very Good Not essential.
3 Stars - Average 
2 Stars - Below Average
1 Star  - Poor/ Avoid

System Specs: RTX 2080 ti , i9 9900K CPU, 16 GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 10 64 Bit OS.

Farlands User Reviews 78 votes

5 STARS
26%
molZero_1ThreeDeeVisionMrAnderson96543benplaceMollyTheDollyJokergod2000GrimPilgrimMelmixcybernettrHanoverFrozenPeaCrashFuZenbaneRiftscero490InfidelArtkipster5460Jordy74Cavediver 21 votes
4 STARS
41%
JoseGtAwyFrmMyRamenCasuallynotedRedRizlaWelbyeckerputblanesSyndroidrekconpjennessZuraftazvuShadowmask72LitespeedJohnMadduxIblysiElias24601[Deleted User]Syl_VRSuperTuck 32 votes
3 STARS
16%
FlukevwooKalec84NipocAwsedrftgPaul_BlytheTwoHedWlfNordfriese79OpticKingZdrojewskiSakkuraAlexKalopsiacefizelj 13 votes
2 STARS
8%
zbosonmambo1888KillCardnroskojmalmstenRuinedThunderbane 7 votes
1 STAR
6%
johnfarmingdalezockySTRICK9T4nkstarJayt0302 5 votes
Tagged:

Comments

• blanesblanes Posts: 1,068
    3Jane
    4 STARS
    Good clean fun !
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 14,278 Valuable Player
    5 STARS
    Everything about Farlands is fantastic. When the Wibwombs start mimicking your actual spoken words... that was the best of surprises.
    Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
  • LZoltowskiLZoltowski Posts: 6,756 Volunteer Moderator
    4 STARS
    Its really great. It's like a Virtual Tamagochi, very relaxing after a day of work to just go around and interact with the environment. A great stress killer. I recommend.
    Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another :)
  • InfidelArtInfidelArt Posts: 4
    NerveGear
    5 STARS
    I've been taking it slow with my VR games collection thus far, and I spend probably the most of my time in Farlands.  While the gameplay may not be everyone's cup of tea, I feel it's one of the best games to introduce VR to initiates after the Dreamdeck.  The content is interesting, the sense of scale is impressive, and the positional audio is very well done.

I'm glad it was free, otherwise I probably would have missed out on this.  I hope the developers expand on it in the near future.
  • CrashFuCrashFu Posts: 1,756 Valuable Player
    5 STARS
    I love how it manages to throw new things at you right when you think you've seen it all. Creature behaviors you didn't expect to see,  Rare color mutations, a "monkey see, monkey do" sort of mini-game-ish encounter, some plot sneaking in late in the game.. and all with amazing visuals and some very charming voice-acting.  Anyone with access to this game should really give it some of their time and hard-drive space, since that's all it costs to experience.

The names the robot (Zoey, I think?) picks out for aliens do make me cringe, however.

Also I would pay for some kind of expansion or sequel, depending on the amount of content.  New areas with new alien types to observe, new ways to interact with those aliens (some mini-games to play with them would be great!) and maybe some kind of over-arching objective like a puzzle to solve.  To put it as Zoey would:  That. Would be.. AWE-SOME! :smile:

It's hard being the voice of reason when you're surrounded by unreasonable people.
  • Kalec84Kalec84 Posts: 568
    Trinity
    3 STARS
    started as wanderfull, but now is just grinding fruit to feed to the creatures until they do something new... i got bored :(
  • KillCardKillCard Posts: 1,078
    Wintermute
    2 STARS
    The visuals are great and the humor is cute but the mechanics are boring for me and I'm struggling to get behind the teleport "work around" for motion sickness. Its jarring and un-immersive for me and ive had 0 problems with motion sickness from normal walking/running (I beat mirrors edge in VR in a single sitting ;) it was awesome). I wish the Farlands gave me the option of normal walking with controller/mouse and keyboard but I couldn't find it.

Seems like a roomscale game oddly launching with a device that doesn't really support roomscale.
  • JoseJose Posts: 888
    Trinity
    4 STARS
    Very polished game with excellent voice acting. Its gameplay is relaxing. The graphics and art style is excellent, one of the best looking Rift games out there.

However, it feels manipulative that it forces you to come back the next day to progress. I want to play at my own pace. I wanted to beat it in one session. It's not possible to do that. I never beat the game because I lost interest and got bored, and couldn't progress when I wanted to.
  • nroskonrosko Posts: 954
    Neo
    2 STARS
    Fun for about 30 minutes. The space ship is awesome to sit in though. 
  • gorDelpusgorDelpus Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    I agree with nrosko. Fun for only a short time and the robot is childish and obnoxious at best. Love the ship but it's weird to look down and not see a body.
  • ThreeDeeVisionThreeDeeVision Posts: 2,087
    5 STARS
    Love it!  This is exactly the type of game that I knew would be great in VR.  Exploration, no stress, lots of creature mannerisms to study, great views, and a teleportation movement system that works very well.  It does get a bit repetitive towards the end, but I still enjoy going back from time to time.  I just hope my Whisple friends aren't starving to death while I am away :)
    i7 5960X @ 3.8 GHz | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 PC2800 | GTX Titan X Pascal | Win 10 64 bit | Asus ROG PG348Q | EVGA X99 Classified
  • cybernettrcybernettr Posts: 933
    3Jane
    5 STARS
     I like that it's a game that you can pop in and out of for 10 minutes at a time.  There's no requirement that you visit all the creatures each time you play or satisfy all their needs (in fact, sometimes you can't, as you don't have the required items). I've had it for a month now and still haven't reached the final dénouement.  Some parts of it are repetitive, such as the garden, which I water daily but where nothing new ever seems to happen.  The robot is a little annoying, especially when it keeps repeating that you should participate in the Koleran's ritual.  Sometimes I would just like to slap it, or hit with a rock.  The graphics and textures are wonderful and the Wibwams' antics still sometimes bring a smile to my face. 
  • Syl_VRSyl_VR Posts: 18
    NerveGear
    4 STARS
    You can teleport around the place, but it doesn't seem there's a way to rotate your character (except doing it yourself)
  • splicer12splicer12 Posts: 53
    Hiro Protagonist
    4 STARS
    First, the graphics are amazing. Of all the games I've played, this has probably the most impressive artwork and environments. As an introduction to VR, this game is hard to beat. And you definitely can't beat the price. It is well worth downloading and checking out, even if it's only for one sitting.

That said, I'm not a really big fan of the "Virtual Pet" genre, so after a few days I got a little bored, although I will probably go back at some point and unlock the remaining environments so I can check them out.
  • BoxDroppingManApeBoxDroppingManApe Posts: 60 Poster of the Week
    4 STARS
    Pretty simple in overall gameplay, but it's one of the few games that has pretty consistently given me Presence while dealing with the creatures. The teleportation mechanic is intuitive, and the game itself is very easy on people that suffer from motion sickness. I really hated the real life time-paced unlocks, though.  The end-game is a little aimless.
  • jmalmstenjmalmsten Posts: 69
    Hiro Protagonist
    2 STARS
    Got tired of the tone of how characters talked to me so I stopped playing pretty quickly. 
  • TimrockTimrock Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    Beautiful graphics, love the spaceship.
    Awful game.
  • mambo1888mambo1888 Posts: 796
    Neo
    2 STARS
    Very nice and well polished game, but I found it very boring. It was nice to look at when CV1 launched and it is free but if you had to pay it for it I wouldn't recommend it. As its free its best to try for yourself as a lot of people like it.
  • SuperTuckSuperTuck Posts: 119
    Art3mis
    4 STARS
    I was hoping they would build on this release and add Touch interactions and more content. I love the animals and the world.
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 14,278 Valuable Player
    5 STARS
    SuperTuck said:
    I was hoping they would build on this release and add Touch interactions and more content. I love the animals and the world.
    Agreed. I would love to see a big update to this game. Still one of my favorite early VR experiences.
    Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
  • WeenieGrubbyWeenieGrubby Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    This is one of the first games I got because it was free. It's lovely to look at and, so far, I am quite enjoying the stress-free exploration aspect of this world. I have opened up all the current places and visit each day looking to pick up new fish/bugs/behaviors. It took some time to figure out how the controls work (I have used both an Xbox controller and Touch and don't have a preference). If the pace of discovery doesn't speed up just a little, I may find myself getting bored, but so far it's okay. The voice of the tag-a-long robot is terribly annoying. This is a good intro into VRing and a good choice for anyone looking for a relaxing game free from enemies and fast-paced actions.
  • cybernettrcybernettr Posts: 933
    3Jane
    5 STARS
    It gets too hard toward the end to find the last few items. I never did find all of them, and eventually lost interest.