New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Being told "tough luck" on returning my CV1 after experiencing extreme motion sickness?

PhiralPhiral Posts: 2
Hi all,

So I like many of you preordered the Rift CV1 because the premise AWESOME, right? Well, actuality shows that CV1 isn't really ready for release. Why? Because many people are experiencing really bad motion sickness. I got my preorder in the second week of June, and after weeks of testing and configuration I was required to build an entirely new system just to run the Rift. Several hundred dollars later and a system that's only purpose is to run the Rift, I am up and going. 15 minutes in, I start to get queasy. After 25 minutes in Eve I am in full blown vertigo and have to go lay down, sick and spinning endlessly. Tried this again with different apps, in different positions (standing, sitting, re-setup the Rift in case there were config issues, etc) and nothing fixes it. Knowing me, I can get vertigo sometimes just playing regular non-VR games, so I realize maybe the Rift isn't for me after all, or at least CV1 isn't. How can I go about getting a refund for something I can't use? Didn't Luckey himself say that if you couldn't use it he didn't want people to be unhappy with the product, or am I misunderstanding something? Thanks, J

Comments

• LZoltowskiLZoltowski Posts: 6,774 Volunteer Moderator
    Hmm that headline of yours is very pure Click Bait, naughty naughty
    Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another :)
  • AndyW1384AndyW1384 Posts: 307
    Trinity
    edited July 2016
    Maybe contact Oculus support through the Oculus website and ask them?

[edit]
    Did someone at Oculus tell you "tough luck"? Or was that just something you made up, so you could get people to give you advice? Because the people hanging out on the forums really aren't the right people to ask. Oculus support are.
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 15,486 Valuable Player
    edited July 2016
    I was told "tough luck" on finding out who told the OP "tough luck" :/
    Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
  • ThreeDeeVisionThreeDeeVision Posts: 2,087
    Wintermute

As someone who owned a DK2 prior to owning the Rift, I can say for certain that 'VR Legs' is a real thing.  If the Rift is your first head mounted display, you will need to start using it for short periods and be sure to quit when you feel the slightest bit of discomfort.  With more usage, you should be able to start extending those play times.  Be sure to start with demos that have been rated as comfortable and work your way into the demos/apps/games with more action.

Also be sure your VR app settings aren't causing dips in framerate, due to the fact framerate drops will most likely cause some juddering and discomfort.  Limit turning using controllers and be sure to turn your body as you naturally would.

With a little time and practice you could be very comfortable in VR.  Don't give up (yet)!

i7 5960X @ 3.8 GHz | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 PC2800 | GTX Titan X Pascal | Win 10 64 bit | Asus ROG PG348Q | EVGA X99 Classified
  • kazRiumkazRium Posts: 49
    Brain Burst
    Sorry to hear you have motion sickness, but unfortunately jumping into an "intense" rated game as one of your first VR experiences is probably not the best thing to do.  It took me a couple of days to build up my VR tolerance before I would even attempt "intense" rated experiences.  It may also take a day or so to really get rid of the sickness feeling once it is that bad, and that is coming from personal experience.  I have no idea about getting your money back, but if you wanted to try it again, make sure to completely rest the sickness feeling off, and try a "comfortable" rated experience until you get to the point where you are tolerant enough to move up.  Games like "Please, Don't touch Anything", "Esper 2", and "Chronos", are really good examples of fun games, that shouldn't cause motion sickness.   It does get better, good luck! 

• soupsongsoupsong Posts: 30
    Brain Burst
    Stop being such a wuss my 73 yr old mother just had it on for an hour and loved it.
    Seriously if it isn't for you it isn't for you why the drama just sell it on.
  • cyberealitycybereality Posts: 26,156 Oculus Staff
    I would try a game other than EVE. Maybe Lucky's Tale or Chronos or one of the more comfortable games (there is a comfort rating for this reason).
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
    Trinity
    Defence Grid 2 VR is another good one. Even with Lucky's Tale I felt uncomfortable at first when the camera would rotate to track Lucky. DG2 is a static camera game - as, I believe, is Chronos.
    Chronos is a static camera but the location changes with each scene. Don't let the "static" aspect fool you, cause you will easily find yourself looking down hundreds of feet with towering obstacles above. Omnipresence makes several appearances with Chronos.
    Trinity
    So... comfortable for people who get motion sickness, not so comfortable for people who get vertigo.
    I have a real phobia of heights, so it took a very long tie for me to get comfortable with Chronos (among other VR experiences). But I have no problems now, and I've even seen drastic improvements in real life. Happy days.
  • DilipDilip Posts: 256
    Nexus 6
    @Phiral

After following all what suggested here, still you feel Rift is not for you....

Here is another damn idea, just put it on EBAY at price tag of $800/900, see amazon doing it....
    https://www.amazon.com/Oculus-Rift/dp/B00VF0IXEY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1468149983&sr=8-1&keywords=oculus+rift

sure you will get buyer sooner than you expect. Don't bother to return just resell at premium and have fun

• pjennesspjenness Posts: 692
    Neo
    Theme parks have ride that can induce varying levels of sickness.
    Im wondering how many people would expect to get a refund on a ticket bought to a theme park?

Oculus is almost like a theme park system you can keep permanently at home. There are LOTS of different applications, games experiences and many more coming, its well worth the ticket price :)

I think motion sickness is not really a good excuse for refund, but thats my opinion.

-P
    Drift VFX Visual, Virtual , Vertical

Want 970GTX on Macbook for good FPS?
    https://forums.oculus.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=17349
  • metros269metros269 Posts: 37
    Brain Burst
    I don't get any motion sickness at all in any of the games that I have tried and I tried most of them like Eve Valkyrie and Project Cars to Lucky's Tale and Chronos.  This sounds pretty stupid but I actually do want to experience some discomfort like actually being there...it would make the rift (or any VR hmd for that matter) a LOT more 'VR' for me.
  • Protocol7Protocol7 Posts: 333
    Trinity
    Don't give up! Give your brain a chance to adapt. It is normal to get motion sickness at first. If you use VR a bit every day, it will get easier and easier. Well it does for most people.
  • DreamwriterDreamwriter Posts: 1,101
    3Jane
    edited July 2016
    Phiral, note that once you feel sick, you will feel sick for a long time. It doesn't go away when you stop playing the game that made you sick, you have to take a break. So if Eve Valkryrie makes you sick, make sure you don't play anything at all for a while, wait until you feel perfectly fine, before you play something else. Otherwise you will think all games make you sick, because you were already affected by the first game. And pay attention to the ratings in the store, all apps are rated for "comfort level", that's the chance of the game making you feel sick.
  • LDWmeLDWme Posts: 99
    Hiro Protagonist
    I'm sorry but I don't see this happening. You have purchased a product and the product is working as advertised I see not reason Oculus would refund a unit on this reason. Oculus are still a business and still need to make a profit. Refusing everyone who is not happy with the product if it working as advertised to be honest they should be saying tough luck. But as people have previously said try games aimed at a more comfort level.
    @metros269 - play Ethan Carter, there's a 90% chance you'll wanna puke.
  • metros269metros269 Posts: 37
    Brain Burst
    edited July 2016
    @Zenbane - I have....no sickness whatsoever!  I consider myself one of the lucky few:  There was an issue when 3d movies came out (recent ones aka Avatar, not the old red blue glasses ones) and I never had a problem with either seeing the 3d effect or getting a headache....even went to see The Hobbit in the higher frame rate where everybody was complaining about sickness and all that and I had no issues with it.
  • gluebaggluebag Posts: 81
    soupsong said:
    Stop being such a wuss my 73 yr old mother just had it off for an hour and loved it.
    Seriously if it isn't for you it isn't for you why the drama just sell it on.
    Get help :smiley:
    @Phiral i got motion sick after 15 mins of an fps crawler... And i still want one. Stick with it and you will become accustomed ... Think your very first driving lesson, for me i was in a cold sweat, now i do it with my eyes closed...SMASH
  • Lemming1970Lemming1970 Posts: 681
    Neo
    Knowing me, I can get vertigo sometimes just playing regular non-VR games, so I realize maybe the Rift isn't for me after all,

Oh dear...  Someone didn't think this through before spending several hundred dollars.

Modded Coolermaster RC-1000 Cosmos/1000W Corsair HX Series
    i7 6700k o/c to 4.7ghz Corsair H100i water cooler.
    Zotac 1080Ti
    16 gb DDR4 o/c to 3000mhz
    Predator XB271HU 27" 2560x1440 IPS G-Sync 165Hz
    edited July 2016
    Phiral, note that once you feel sick, you will feel sick for a long time. It doesn't go away when you stop playing the game that made you sick, you have to take a break. So if Eve Valkryrie makes you sick, make sure you don't play anything at all for a while, wait until you feel perfectly fine, before you play something else. Otherwise you will think all games make you sick, because you were already affected by the first game. And pay attention to the ratings in the store, all apps are rated for "comfort level", that's the chance of the game making you feel sick.
    Interestingly for me switching to blaze rush helped reduce my sickness
  • inovatorinovator Posts: 2,426 Valuable Player
    I know people that don't play video games on a monitor since that makes them sick. There will always be people getting sick with vr.
    metros269 said:
    @Zenbane - I have....no sickness whatsoever!  I consider myself one of the lucky few:  There was an issue when 3d movies came out (recent ones aka Avatar, not the old red blue glasses ones) and I never had a problem with either seeing the 3d effect or getting a headache....even went to see The Hobbit in the higher frame rate where everybody was complaining about sickness and all that and I had no issues with it.
    Yes but let's be clear, did you try Ethan Carter? :o
    @Zenbane coincidently "ethan carter" is an annagram of "near at retch"
  • TwoHedWlfTwoHedWlf Posts: 2,234 Valuable Player
    gluebag said:
    @Zenbane coincidently "ethan carter" is an annagram of "near at retch"
    I got a bit sick from Adrift pretty quick,  Subnautica at first after maybe half an hour, not bad just enough to be uncomfortable..  After a few days of playing for a little while and then taking a short break that completely went away.  Maybe I should try Adrift again?   Nah.
  • DaftnDirectDaftnDirect Posts: 5,822 Volunteer Moderator

the only time I've felt slightly sick is in the Apollo VR experience when you take a slow orbit around the spacecraft while it's in earth orbit... never happened in any other game, not even the extreme ones

must have had something to do with not seeing the path that your viewpoint is taking so not being able to predict the movement, either that or the vindaloo I had half-hour before

Intel 5820K [email protected], Titan X (Maxwell), 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v2004 (19041.330)
    TwoHedWlf said:
    I got a bit sick from Adrift pretty quick,  Subnautica at first after maybe half an hour, not bad just enough to be uncomfortable..  After a few days of playing for a little while and then taking a short break that completely went away.  Maybe I should try Adrift again?   Nah.
    Adrift sent me spewba diving myself
  • vrmartvrmart Posts: 14
    Brain Burst
    VR sickness is pretty awful. Got it on a lot of apps ... omega agent, luckys tale, eve, elite etc. Didn't really seem to wear off for me and kind of associated putting the rift on with it after a while. Tried the wrist band things and made no difference. That's with a 1080 and i7.

In terms of mainstream adoption, for example when PS VR comes out, it's going to be a huge issue. People are going to expect to be playing FPS, fast driving etc and it's not really doable in VR for a lot of people.

I'm sure it will be fixed one day. I read that some scientists have 'solved' the problem through electrical pulses sent to the skin in sync with movement. I think they atach to the head. Fools the brain in some way. But again can't see that becoming a mainstream thing.