cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scratch lens on my cv1

Anoki1972
Explorer

I have contacted oculus support for a scratch lens. my lens was scratch by glasses. I don't mind paying for replacement but they don't replace the lenses I been told.  So my Oculus cv1 is basically good for garbage. I used it for 2 weeks.

Not happy customer.

9 REPLIES 9

capellizzi
Honored Guest
Me too, then they told me to basically look up a solution in the forums or buy a new rift.

Comic_Book_Guy
Superstar
I feel you but you should have been more proactive with research. I learned many months ago that glasses will likely scratch the lenses and decided no way in hell my wife is trying it with glasses on. Will have to explore the possibility of lens adapters or contacts. 

Percy1983
Superstar
it may be possible to polish it out, worth a go if its for the bin anyway,
Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 + 16GB RAM 1866mhz + i5-3570K at 4.5Ghz + Coolermaster Nepton 140XL cooler Sapphire 8GB RX 580 Nitro+ 256Gb SDD Samsung Evo 850 +3x2TB in raid 0 with 64GB SSD cache Thermaltake Level 10 GT Snow Edition + Toughpower 875w

TwoHedWlf
Expert Trustee
How did you manage to scratch the lenses so badly with glasses that they are useless?  Did you put it in a vise and pound them together with a mallet?

Percy1983
Superstar

TwoHedWlf said:

How did you manage to scratch the lenses so badly with glasses that they are useless?  Did you put it in a vise and pound them together with a mallet?

I was thinking that, at worse my glasses would touch the oculus lens, but touching wouldn't cause a scratch normally.
Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 + 16GB RAM 1866mhz + i5-3570K at 4.5Ghz + Coolermaster Nepton 140XL cooler Sapphire 8GB RX 580 Nitro+ 256Gb SDD Samsung Evo 850 +3x2TB in raid 0 with 64GB SSD cache Thermaltake Level 10 GT Snow Edition + Toughpower 875w

inovator
Consultant
I had some light scratches from glasses. luckey for me no visual effects. I just bought contacts today.

TehJumpingJawa
Expert Protege
I just inspected my rift after three days of use, and have found a scratch/abrasion on the left lens.

I'm considering a return under UK Consumer Rights Act (2015), as this is IMO an unacceptable level of product durability.

The Oculus Rift is sold as being suitable for use by those wearing spectacles within prescribed dimensions.

- My glasses are within these dimensions.
- I have been careful with my rift, and have followed to the letter, Oculus' instructions for mounting and dismount the rift.
- I have been using the rift for only 3 days, and only a few hours each day. Total usage easily below 20 hours.

Compare this to my current pair of spectacles; I wear them all day, every day, and have done for many months.
They're open to all the elements, and the only 'special' care I take with them is a quick wash every morning with soap & water to remove accumulated greasy smudges. Yet they have no scratches.

What's even more egregious is that Oculus are not offering any reasonable mechanism for maintaining, repairing, or replacing the lenses. (and no, replacing the entire headset is not reasonable)

I really want to keep my rift, as it genuinely offers a revolutionary experience (plus I got a great price on it! £329 incl. Touch)

However, for an end user product its lack of durability & maintainability make it not fit for purpose IMO.

NiceMitch
Explorer
It's amazing to me that the level of support Oculus provides is near 0. Scratched your lens? Sorry, toss it in the trash. Extremely poor execution. If they want to be seen as a mainstream company, they should at least offer support like a mainstream company. Facebook has the revenue, and sh*tty support like this only hurts their growth. Why would I recommend Oculus to a friend if, after a year, I'm just out of luck and I would have to buy a new Rift if *anything* goes wrong?

Not to mention the turnaround time with Oculus support is abysmal. Going on 5 days and still no approved RMA for a touch controller defect. And I already know that they will probably make me send back the whole touch bundle rather than just sending back the defective controller. Ridiculous. 

leppard2
Protege
I had mine about three weeks and have some scratches on each lens from cleaning with provided cloth, they seam very easy to scratch, i'm thinking of selling it to be honest as it looks like its going to be a problem in the long run , also i have the trigger problem with the touch controller.