New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

I can't return my Oculus Rift ? Seriously ?

soulmachinesoulmachine Posts: 7
NerveGear
I ordered my Oculus Rift a few month ago and I received it on 29 Jun, last week I tried to contact the customer support to return my Rift since I think that the resolution is still too low and doesn't meet my expectation. Actually I also have  a Gear VR , and its resolution is even higher than the Rift. This is why I don't want the Rift and try to return it.

The customer support says that according to the Terms of Service, people can not return a used Rift. This is the ridiculous part, when you unbox the Rift, it becomes "used", then you can not return it. Are you kidding me ? 
Tagged:

Comments

• mr2dajmr2daj Posts: 103
    Art3mis
    send it to me and send them my broken one back for a refund
  • nAV2016nAV2016 Posts: 516
    Trinity
    Oculus is a joke..it is amazing people even have rifts..if i knew back then what i know now i dont think i would bought a rift..they dont deserve our money. Lucky palmer made a bad decision
    Art3mis
    Yea they certainly are a joke... I want my money back and will be getting a vive. 
  • pertmpertm Posts: 71
    Hiro Protagonist
    mr2daj said:
    Yea they certainly are a joke... I want my money back and will be getting a vive. 
    Do you really think Vive is any better ?!?!?
    Art3mis
    I dont think it is any better. I just think then chances of getting a working unit are higher
    Hiro Protagonist
    edited July 2016
    mr2daj said:
    I dont think it is any better. I just think then chances of getting a working unit are higher
    It's not, Vive have alot of issues, so your chances is not any better with vive your best bet is to return your broken rift and get a new one, remember thousands of people are receiving functional Rifts, my self included, have not had one issue with mine and I had it for over a month now, plus most of the errors you read about are often peoples own fault, because they often don't know what the hell they are doing. hoping and praying that their shitty pc's can run the rift anyway despite of not meeting the recommended specs. 
    Art3mis
    Yea hopefully that will be the case. I want to return it for exchange but it is getting ridiculous. Apparently I should hear back soon but im not holding my breath. 11 days and counting since the last reply.
  • museumstevemuseumsteve Posts: 443
    Art3mis
    Why would it be fair for them to refund a unit once it's been opened if there's nothing wrong with it? I see nothing wrong with them refusing this at all. I had a videogame store for 20 years and spent my life refusing people refunds because they spent a week playing a brand new console or game then saying they didn't like it and wanted their money back.
    Art3mis
    edited July 2016
    you can send it back. It says so in the terms and conditions. You may have to pay/lose a 15% restocking fee. If you dont like it then sell it. you will probably make a few quid

4.4 Your Right to Cancel or Return Physical Goods. You may cancel your order or pre-order of physical goods at any time prior to shipping and Order Acceptance. After shipping the goods to you, you have the right, within 30 days from the date of your receipt of the goods, to cancel our contract with you and return the goods. This right does not apply to any goods that have been used, or are stated by us to be non-returnable, including any items or goods that have been personalized or modified in accordance with your instructions. The goods must be fully returned in the original packaging with the applicable proof of purchase and you will be responsible for the cost of returning the goods to us. If, on return to us, it is determined that the goods have been used, damaged, are missing components, or is not in a resalable condition we may charge a 15% restocking fee, or otherwise reduce the amount of your refund to take account of this damage, use, or missing components.

To cancel your order or return your goods, you must inform us of your decision by following the instructions at https://support.oculus.com.

• nAV2016nAV2016 Posts: 516
    Trinity
    edited July 2016
    Why would it be fair for them to refund a unit once it's been opened if there's nothing wrong with it? I see nothing wrong with them refusing this at all. I had a videogame store for 20 years and spent my life refusing people refunds because they spent a week playing a brand new console or game then saying they didn't like it and wanted their money back.
    Well it is consumer law..If not happy with the product it can be returned within a set timeframe
    but there is a clause in this case where if used cannot be returned at cost
    Hiro Protagonist
    mr2daj said:
    Yea hopefully that will be the case. I want to return it for exchange but it is getting ridiculous. Apparently I should hear back soon but im not holding my breath. 11 days and counting since the last reply.
    I can understand your frustration, and 11 days is way to long... that said you have to remember that they were behind from the get go because of the shortage in some hardware for the rift, so the challenge is how do they sent you a new rift before all pre orders is up to speed ....? I think you will get a reply soon as Oculus said in this month they are up to speed on the pre orders.
  • SolslandSolsland Posts: 278
    Nexus 6
    What's stopping you reselling it (at a handsome profit)?
  • StairmandStairmand Posts: 103
    Art3mis
    edited July 2016
    If you are in the UK contact trading standards. Distance selling regulation means they have to take it back, it's the law. They can't charge a restocking fee but you have to pay the return postage.
  • Blood_MonarchBlood_Monarch Posts: 8
    NerveGear
    mr2daj said:
    you can send it back. It says so in the terms and conditions. You may have to pay/lose a 15% restocking fee. If you dont like it then sell it. you will probably make a few quid

4.4 Your Right to Cancel or Return Physical Goods. You may cancel your order or pre-order of physical goods at any time prior to shipping and Order Acceptance. After shipping the goods to you, you have the right, within 30 days from the date of your receipt of the goods, to cancel our contract with you and return the goods. This right does not apply to any goods that have been used, or are stated by us to be non-returnable, including any items or goods that have been personalized or modified in accordance with your instructions. The goods must be fully returned in the original packaging with the applicable proof of purchase and you will be responsible for the cost of returning the goods to us. If, on return to us, it is determined that the goods have been used, damaged, are missing components, or is not in a resalable condition we may charge a 15% restocking fee, or otherwise reduce the amount of your refund to take account of this damage, use, or missing components.

To cancel your order or return your goods, you must inform us of your decision by following the instructions at https://support.oculus.com.

No he can't return it for the reasons they've stated. Its been used
    Art3mis
    Yes he can>  "If, on return to us, it is determined that the goods have been used, damaged, are missing components, or is not in a resalable condition we may charge a 15% restocking fee, or otherwise reduce the amount of your refund to take account of this damage, use, or missing components."

He would just have to lose 15% as long as it is all there and in good condition.
  • Greenfire32Greenfire32 Posts: 367
    Trinity
    Yeah I think you can only return it for a refund if it's defective.

Being new tech and all, it's not surprising that the TOS (that you agreed to!) say you can't return it simply because you don't like it.

If VR was a couple years old and the Rift was only about $150, you'd probably be able to.

Welcome to the frontier. This is what it's like to be an early adopter.
  • luissolidluissolid Posts: 1
    What kind of PC you have? It's a problem with the rift?
  • soulmachinesoulmachine Posts: 7
    NerveGear
    My PC has 32G memory and a Nvidia GTX 1080 graphics card, it meets the requirements of Oculus Rift.

BTW, hat's the definition of being "used" ? As a customer he has to unbox the Rift and use it.  I received my Rift on 29 July and on 8 July I asked the Oculus customer support to return the Rift , it's a very short time.
  • leo1954auleo1954au Posts: 375
    Nexus 6
    I'm sure you would make a quick sell on ebay.
  • blanesblanes Posts: 1,096
    3Jane
    Really ?   For all the faults and bad communication of Oculus,  on this I would side with them,  no sympathy for someone who buys a Rift and then returns it based on the resolution being too low.  There is more than enough information, reviews, videos and such that point out the particular specifications relating to resolution and that actually implore people who are doubtful not to buy.  I for one would not wish to receive the Rift already shipped to you then returned just because you "don't like it" ... Suck it up or sell it on mate !  ;)
  • DannyMNLDannyMNL Posts: 273
    Nexus 6
    The terms and conditions are very clear in what they allow and what they don't, mr2daj is just cherrypicking words and phrases from it to try and prove his point.

When you buy the product you get 30 days to think about whether or not you really want it. This does not mean that you are actually allowed to use the product for 30 days and then ship it back in whatever condition it happens to be in after that timeframe.

The law is designed specifically to protect consumers that buy a product without really overthinking the price or consequences, but get buyers remorse soon after. All it does is force stores or companies to take back a product and not throw the "All sales are final" rule at them.

For consumers to be able to use this right there are some rules that apply to them as well. You have to decide immediately or soon after purchase whether or not you are going to keep the product, the 30 days are merely there to give you enough time to actually return it, for instance when you're about to leave on holiday and don't return until three weeks after purchase.

In NO WAY does it allow you to use the product. If it is used then you invalidate your right to return the product.
    People like to bring up the excuse "Yeah, but I want to try if I like it before I decide whether or not I want to keep it.", which isn't a very good one. You are expected to educate yourself about a product before you make a purchase. You've had plenty of time to read reviews, and could've asked friends or people on this forum who might be near you if you could try theirs for a few minutes. You absolutely do not need 14 days to see whether or not you like a HMD, it should be obvious within an hour.
    ASUS Z97-Pro Gamer | Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1660 Ti Gaming OC 6Gb | i7-4790K 4.0Ghz | Crucial Ballistix 16Gb DDR3-1600 | Cooler Master G750M | Windows 10 64-bit | AOC G2460PG G-Sync 144hz 3D-monitor
    NerveGear
    Why I can return unboxed products bought from Amazon ?
  • LZoltowskiLZoltowski Posts: 6,774 Volunteer Moderator
    edited July 2016
    DannyMNL said:
    The terms and conditions are very clear in what they allow and what they don't, mr2daj is just cherrypicking words and phrases from it to try and prove his point.

When you buy the product you get 30 days to think about whether or not you really want it. This does not mean that you are actually allowed to use the product for 30 days and then ship it back in whatever condition it happens to be in after that timeframe.

The law is designed specifically to protect consumers that buy a product without really overthinking the price or consequences, but get buyers remorse soon after. All it does is force stores or companies to take back a product and not throw the "All sales are final" rule at them.

For consumers to be able to use this right there are some rules that apply to them as well. You have to decide immediately or soon after purchase whether or not you are going to keep the product, the 30 days are merely there to give you enough time to actually return it, for instance when you're about to leave on holiday and don't return until three weeks after purchase.

In NO WAY does it allow you to use the product. If it is used then you invalidate your right to return the product.
    People like to bring up the excuse "Yeah, but I want to try if I like it before I decide whether or not I want to keep it.", which isn't a very good one. You are expected to educate yourself about a product before you make a purchase. You've had plenty of time to read reviews, and could've asked friends or people on this forum who might be near you if you could try theirs for a few minutes. You absolutely do not need 14 days to see whether or not you like a HMD, it should be obvious within an hour.
    Yes I agree, you are allowed to see if the product meets your expectations if ordered Online, phone or by mail within the EU for 14 days, it is a statutory right and it is trumped against any terms and conditions you may have agreed to. It is a safeguard. Anything past that and the law assumes you are happy with your product.

Rifts ordered within the EU are also covered by the 2 year limited guarantee, 1 yr is standard everywhere else.
    Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another :)
    NerveGear
    I'm selling this Rfit on eBay now http://www.ebay.com/itm/-/172272552012
  • DaftnDirectDaftnDirect Posts: 5,271 Volunteer Moderator

not really supposed to hawk your Rift on the forum but in this case I think we should cut you some slack!

...hope you get a good price @soulmachine, I'd be surprised if it doesn't turn a small profit

Intel 5820K [email protected], Titan X (Maxwell), 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v1903 (18363.476)
    NerveGear
    @ DaftnDirect Thx
  • A3DEA3DE Posts: 19
    NerveGear
    Join the club mate, Oculus are selling us open boxed devices that are probably refurbished according to myself and other users with issues who received their CV1 with the red VOID label already broken on arrival. My CV1 lasted only a few hours of use within 3 days and till now I am still waiting for the extremely slow support to come up with a resolution for me to use the rift again. If yours is still working, best advice, sell it on ebay even at a loss because the stress you will get from trying to get it working again is not worth at all. Oculus Rip off, get rid of it while you can.
  • cyberealitycybereality Posts: 26,156 Oculus Staff
    I can assure you that Oculus is NOT selling used units. The packages are sorted and boxed at separate warehouses, so it's normal for them to open the bag in order to pack the box (resulting in the red tape being broken). Sorry for the misunderstanding.
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
  • walleowalleo Posts: 12
    NerveGear
    Just wanted to add my own two cents as well. As the OP, i got my Rift and was not impressed at all. I already have the Gear VR for my samsung 7 phone and to me, the difference between the rift and the gear VR was almost non existent. For an item that cost me almost $700 this wasn't acceptable to me. I reached out to oculus that i wanted a refund and they told me the same thing. They said, since i opened it i couldn't return it, i was outraged. How else would i know if i wanted it without testing it? Needless to say, they told me they couldn't make exceptions and i was stuck with it. i had the oculus listed on amazon the next day and though it took me almost a week to sell i finally got it sold for 719 after which i was left with about 630 when amazon took out their fees. i would had made a profit had it not been for amazon's outrageous fees, all in all im only left with a $50 deficit/loss which isnt too bad. i would like to warn anybody here getting their oculus to watch out and make sure they really want this product before buying. if you already have a gear VR you might not like what you end up seeing.
  • StairmandStairmand Posts: 103
    Art3mis
    I've reported Oculus to the UK trading standards for you to see if they are breaking distance selling rules. I'd suggest you do the same. I've also reported them for not providing a contact telephone number and the long periods of silence during RMAs.