cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recording Gameplay for Youtube

TazerCG
Honored Guest
Hi, so I run a youtube channel and really want to feature some of the games, what's the best way to record oculus gameplay in 1080p? As I've noticed a lot of the games are in really small weird shaped windows when mirrored to the pc, also dont want to stretch the footage either. 
Anyone got any ideas?
6 REPLIES 6

Shadowmask72
Honored Visionary
Hi there, I make Youtube videos as well and sadly there's not a lot you can do if the game output puts you in a small window.  Usually you can open up the window to fill the screen (not as bad as you might think) which is probably your best bet then use something like Nvidia Shadowplay to record (you can record voice-over as well).  If you've not got an Nvidia GPU then AMD has their own version or you can use something like MSI Afterburner which has video capture built in (no you don't need an MSI card to run this).  I recommend an Elgato HD 60 as an eternal capture card if this is feasible as well.

One final note. If you're having to capture a small screen because it won't allow you to go full screen (or you don't want to stretch the view) then you need to invest in some video editing software that will allow you to crop the borders and perhaps place multiple images/videos together. I've been using Wondershare Filmora Video Editor for such purposes. 

Hope this helps a little.

System Specs: MSI NVIDIA RTX 4090 , i5 13700K CPU, 32GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 11 64 Bit OS.

Techy111
MVP
MVP
Don't forget OBS. Loaded with features. Also records windows or monitor capture and best of all its free. Loads of tutorials on the tube.
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

lukwtwz
Expert Protege

TazerCG said:

Hi, so I run a youtube channel and really want to feature some of the games, what's the best way to record oculus gameplay in 1080p? As I've noticed a lot of the games are in really small weird shaped windows when mirrored to the pc, also dont want to stretch the footage either. 
Anyone got any ideas?

Cybereality and others have said that Fraps will capture the small monitor window, which you can then resize using editing software. I use a second, laptop computer and capture device set as the primary (and only) 1080p/60 or 1080p/59.94 monitor via HDMI when booting up my VR pc, and then run Borderless Gaming (supposedly available for free, but I paid $3.99 on Steam because the free version wouldn't run) right before opening a game or experience in Oculus Home or Steam. In some cases, such as in Chronos, the resulting borderless window will not have the right aspect ratio (e.g. 16x9 instead of 4:3), so you can either A) convert captured footage to correct aspect ratio in editing software, B. set the primary/capture monitor to a resolution corresponding to the given VR game's aspect ratio; or C) keep captured gameplay footage in the same aspect ratio and instead adjust the aspect ratio on your chosen playback device (the 'wide' button on my TV cycles through different aspect ratios) or within a media player such as VLC, which can stream from a given URL as well as play local media files.

Not all VR games - not even all those on Home - open to a small window; some, such as Omega Agent, either open automatically to full screen/borderless, or can be toggled to such with key combinations that vary, usually depending on which engine the game uses (Unity, Unreal, etc.). I've found that games on Steam tend to default to fullscreen/borderless, whereas those on Home usually have a smaller window on the monitor but can often be toggled to fullscreen/borderless using said utility.

Shadowmask72
Honored Visionary
The reason I didn't recommend FRAPS is because it's resource hungry and if you're already pushing your system with VR then the added hit might have negative results.  If you do capture with FRAPS, how is the resize quality of the recording btw?

System Specs: MSI NVIDIA RTX 4090 , i5 13700K CPU, 32GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 11 64 Bit OS.

lukwtwz
Expert Protege

The reason I didn't recommend FRAPS is because it's resource hungry and if you're already pushing your system with VR then the added hit might have negative results.  If you do capture with FRAPS, how is the resize quality of the recording btw?

I don't use FRAPS for the same reason, but I did try it with Lucky's Tale and DK2 in Windows 8.1 a few days after CV1 and Home launched, and then resized and exported the 'lossless RGB' 640x480/60 file to XAVC Intra 1080p/59.94 using Vegas 13 Edit on the same PC. The resulting 1080/60 Youtube video, which was a test recording that I keep unlisted because I had intended to make a better video at some later time, looks surprisingly good considering the source. Lucky's Tale is, by the way, the only Home app I've used whose monitor preview is presented in such a small, 640x480 window (I read somewhere that Lucky is natively rendered at that res); most apps open to larger window. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Di0SaTfwe84

Edit: If not for Youtube restricting download bandwidth and/or re-encoding quality based on upload file resolution and framerate (e.g. 1080p videos upscaled to 4K/UHD before uploading often look better during YT playback due to higher bandwidth allocated for 4K/UHD), better image playback quality could have been gotten by directly uploading the lossless 640x480 RGB Fraps video instead of resizing, and letting one's PC or TV upscale to 1080p. Then again, even a 640x480/60 recording in Fraps lossless RGB format will exceed Youtube's max file size if the video is over an hour in length. I've found that 1080p/60 Fraps lossless RGB files can't be more than about 9 minutes without exceeding Youtube's file size limit. 

JacquelineaAmor
Explorer

Try my favorite Joyoshare VidiKit. It is able to record gameplay in 4K or HD quality. No watermark and no time limit for recording, which is totally amazing. I think this app is much simpler than OBS. 

Get Help
Did this answer your question? If it didn’t, use our search to find other topics or create your own and other members of the community will help out.

Check out some popular posts here:
Getting Help from the Meta Quest Community
Tips and Tricks: Charging your Meta Quest Headset
Tips and Tricks: Help with Pairing your Meta Quest
Trouble With Facebook/Instagram Accounts?