cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DON'T BUY THE RIFT ON EBAY

molton
Explorer
There are people buying up Oculus Rifts so they can sell them Marked up to $400-700, half the reason why the wait time is unknown is likely due to these kinds of entrepenuer parasites, please do not support them, you will only be feeding into the problem, and we'll see this happen with all emerging VR related hardware.
58 REPLIES 58

Kamus
Protege
You are blowing this WAY out of proportion.

If people don't want to wait for whatever reason, that's their choice to make. They might just have lots of money, or are actual developers who need one, or an extra one ASAP.

The wait time was about a month and 10 days for me (i just received an e-mail that says my order should be processing in the next couple of days) And while the wait has sucked. I just didn't want to pay a premium to have it "RIGHT NOW".

But if people want to cut in line and pay extra, that's their choice.
I for one am glad I exercised patience (I'm pretty bad at it usually :P) since i should be getting mine very soon.

The bottom line for me was: I'm not a developer, so i couldn't justify the "HAVE IT NOW" premium for what is basically an alpha version of what's to come.

DeadlyJoe
Rising Star
Are you trying to say that people buy hard-to-get items just to turn around and sell them for twice the price on eBay?

I'm shocked.

molton
Explorer
The way I see it, Oculus Rift deserves my money, not somebody with a bunch of money with a quick way to make a bunch of money off the Oculus Rift team's hard work and effort. It's feeding into the problem to buy from these ebay retailers (I've seen some go on bid for reasonable prices at least) If nobody buys from them, they won't buy any more to sell back to people, problem solved.

Brian123
Explorer
I can understand the concern, especially those early days when preorders were not shipping and kickstarter shipments sold for a premium. Though, I just did a search and found only 12 auctions, so I'm not sure I see a problem. If there were 50-100, maybe. Considering how many pre-orders are shipping these days, plus how many already exist, the few for sale seems normal, plus a little bit of demand drives up the price. There are going to be legit buyers that just can't stomach it, don't care for it, or kickstarter backers who's financial situation or dev-priorities changed after the long wait.

Also, not much to be made with current prices vs level of risk (haven't checked completed auctions though). The rift after taxes/shipping is roughly around $330-$340, just to break even on Ebay you probably need to sell it for $400 due to high Ebay/Paypal double dip fees. Plus if you want insurance/signature on shipping to protect you, you pay that yourself, ebay only lets you include the basic shipping cost, that adds another $6-$10.

So it doesn't seem like a gold mine. If you were to order one now to sell on ebay, you'd be giving Oculus your money up front, wait possibly several months, and if it sells for $450, you might pocket $50. Very risky at this point, as it seems pre-orders are shipping faster now, which will drive down prices. So when you finally get it, you'll might lose money and can't return it.

I bought mine off Craigslist and cancelled my preorder. Turns out the guy is a developer, plus a kickstarter backer. He waited forever to get it a couple months ago since kickstart. Sadly, he only used it for 30 minutes because of how sick it made him. After such a long wait, his focus is now on AR (Google Glass) and has no time to develop for the Rift. He charged a fair price, $400 with a Hydra, even let me test it to be sure it worked. If he had sold it on ebay, he'd have to sell it much higher to get the same money. And he was considering ebay, but went with Craigslist first.

trudge
Honored Guest
I have a feeling that even if there wasn't a *single* Rift sold on ebay we would still be waiting just about the same. In all honesty I don't get worked up about people doing that kind of thing. To a certain degree they are giving people who have the means the chance to get what they want when they want it. Also it's good for the economy 😉

CaptainGeech
Protege
This guy is gonna have an aneurysm and I'm enjoying every second of it. :lol:

stutte
Honored Guest
For goodness sake man, step away from the internet for a while and take a break.
--Order Date: July 19th --- Order#: 061XXX --- Location: United States --- Status: ARRIVED!--

Kamus
Protege
"molton" wrote:
If nobody buys from them, they won't buy any more to sell back to people, problem solved

Great, how is that working out for you? I'm glad you have solved the problem of supply and demand by making a post about it here on the OVR forums... But seriously:
eBay is simply a reflection of the current state of supply and demand of the rift, and once they sort out the supply problem, eBay will reflect it immediately with lower prices. And in the case of used rifts, the price will obviously be even lower than new boxed products, since who in their right mind would pay more for a used item than a new one if it's just as readily available?

I'm going to be blunt here:
If you don't want to wait, stop complaining and do something about it, pull the trigger already by buying one on eBay or craigslist if it's really as urgent as you make it sound.
And if you don't want to pay extra for having it... Just wait like the rest of us.

dean7878
Honored Guest
"molton" wrote:
entrepenuer parasites,

People are trying to make a profit. What's the world coming to?