cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UT2004 VR & any FPS

AMMaxie
Explorer
Hi guys, I play UT2004 with my Oculus CV1, no problem, see my video on youtube "UT2004 vr"
I have it working with Win7 64bit and win10, with an xbox controller mapped with
"JoyToKey" free software so Xbox controller will do every thing the keybord does.
You need to buy "VorpX" to open the exe. file, it will work with any game.
You
access Vorpx control panel with the head set, by pressing "Delete" and
zoom out to 0.40 from the default 1.00, do this so its not so close to
your face.
ITS the best gaming experances ever ever.
Cheers.
annetommy

8 REPLIES 8

DarkTenka
Trustee
Nice, I'll have to try it. I did the same thing with Rise of the Triad (2013) ... there's all this Fear/Uncertainty/Doubt about motion sickness but something about running super fast and blowing shit up in VR gets the adrenaline going, and that somehow makes your inner ear keep up in my opinion.

I've been pretty good with motion sickness all round, but I feel more discomfort in Ethan Carter/Techno Lust/The Assembly than I do in ROTT or Skyrim (with a lot of mods). I imagine this would be the same. I think it has to do with how they program the movement, whether or not its gradual acceleration/deceleration or "suddenly moving and stopping". It doesnt even matter how fast you accelerate as long as there is acceleration your brain can keep up.

But yea I was blown away playing ROTT, I need to try Unreal 2K4, will definitely do this.

AMMaxie
Explorer
EVE VALKYRE made me feel sick , the game that comes with Oculus CV1.
The Older FPS games are just so natural to play in VR, you feel like you are in the game and part of it, only sometimes when you need to use the keyboard you are facing the other direction LOL, now I have set one of the Xbox controllers buttons to recentre the view, I am now one of the top scores every game, a little problem is reading other players text chat as its bottom corner of the screen,and typing back to a player requires the keybord, I use the built in Mic to talk as do a few other gamers, I wish they all would use Mics to chat.
Overall the head tracking for targeting is awsome.
I did not play my favorite game for over 3 years because of mouse shoulder, and now no need for the mouse I'm back again.
This is real FPS VR  that I only dreamt of, and its a dream come true.
Enjoy.
Cheers

DarkTenka
Trustee
Hey man, I get an error when trying to play UT2K4. What kind of profile did you clone to make it work? .. I used Unreal 3 Engine, but when I look it up 2K4 runs on an obscure "unreal 2.5" engine which is like the only game that actually uses it. The game runs normally, but when VorpX is loaded it spouts out some kind of "error in D3D-blahblahblah, try deleting UT2004.ini". Tried deleting the ini file, no effect.

In any case, I was able to get Unreal Tournament 3 working instead .. which is just as cool! .. it plays beautifully, aiming is slightly harder but I get a much bigger awareness of when enemies are around me .. and I can like jump-snap look behind me while running to see if someones on to me. Its awesome!

PatientBeaver
Honored Guest
Thanks to tommax's you tube video I was able to figure out how to get ut2004 running. Here are the missing details needed:(must be in this order)

1) Update to the mega bonus pack
2) update to latest 3369 patch
3) install the win 64 ut2004 patch.
4) create custom resolution in nvidia graphics control panel of 960x1080
4b) start the game then exit it without adjusting any settings
5) edit the win64 ut2004.ini file (NOT the regular ut2004 ini file) search for '800' or '600' inside the ini file and change the windowed and full screen options with those resolutions to your new custom resolution.
6) start vorpx. right click on vorpx and select create desktop shortcut (credit to tommax for this part)and then browse to the ut 2004 64 exe (NOT the regular ut2004.exe, although they will both be in the system directory). @KillCard: You dont clone any profiles, you must follow this create desktop shortcut proceedure to get vorpx to work.
7) put on your vr headset and start the game. it should work. if there is no sound, exit, then in the windows vorpx configure options unselect 'use for sound' (the sound will come out your computer speakers or tv depending on your default audio device)
😎 use xpadder to remap a joystick to keyboard keys. I prefer to use a wii perfect shot gun with nunchuk hooked up to a dolphin bar running in mode three which makes it appear as a joystick to windows. even has force feedback when you squeeze the trigger! I use xpadder to remap that output to keystrokes.

It really does look great, it practically looks like native support to me, its really a hidden gem!!

Btw I used the GOG ut2004 edition, untested on the steam version. I also noticed that for some reason there was no difference between selecting direct 3d 9 or open gl in the games video options after the win 64 patch.

Im trying to come up with a way to let my motion sick prone friends (i.e. 90% of anyone who tries an old school fps in VR) play with me on a dedicated home server (I have several headsets).

Based upon this study http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2016/06/the-cure-to-vr-sickness-might-come-from-blacking-out-the-perip...
Im brainstorming about using autohotkeys to send a hotkey to vorpx to switch aspect ratio -i.e. from 1:1 to letterbox 2- everytime a forward or backward movement button is pressed, and then to revert back to 1:1 when the movement button is released. That and perhaps reducing character movement speed altogether and disallowing any strafing and requiring a player turn their body to turn. Might require reducing bot skill level as well.

DarkTenka
Trustee
Thanks PatientBeaver! ... (seems like you really were patient enough to figure this out haha).

I'll be giving this a try over the weekend. :smile:

maximus2k16
Honored Guest
Awesome, now wheres the 3D? If it's not 3D, it's not VR..

Jose
Heroic Explorer

The 3D is probably injected by VorpX.

DarkTenka
Trustee

VorpX makes the 3D happen .. you just have to tweak the settings so that you're not too big or small in the game world. Can be a bit fiddly with some games.