cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Xbox controller keeps disconnecting

ultimateduck
Honored Guest
I'm having an issue where I go to use my Xbox controller and it is no longer connected.  I've had to run through the setup process to get it to reconnect (three times now).  I try to do the setup for just the controller, but it does not work.  Only when I run through the entire Oculus setup does it finally connect, only to find it disconnected the next day when I try to use it.  Is there a fix for this?

Thanks for any help.

p.s. The Oculus is really cool.
11 REPLIES 11

benplace
Rising Star
Low batteries?

Greenfire32
Heroic Explorer

benplace said:

Low batteries?

My thought too. Sometimes there's just enough juice to start the controller and connect and then it dies again.

OP:
Has it always done this or is this something new? It could also be (however unlikely) wireless interference. If you've got a ton of wireless devices, that will make it harder for your controller to talk to the receiver.

benplace
Rising Star
Another thing I thought of is power, the USB ports have to have enough power to power everything you have plugged in.  Are you using a hub for the Xbox receiver?

blanes
Rising Star
The following fix is for Win10 but there is similar setting in Win7. 

Right Click Windows icon in the bottom left corner of the screen.
Scroll up and click Device Manager.
Look down the list and open up Network Adapters
Right Click Xbox Wireless Adapter for Windows and click on Properties
Select the Power Management Tab
Un-Click the box that says, Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power.
You can also try leaving that ticked and Tick box Allow this device to wake the computer.

I prefer having it disabled and to turn off your controller you have to hold down the large xbox button for 5 seconds or just turn PC off.

The power management service in Win10 seems to be more aggresive than it used to be, at least that is my impression coming from Win7 - so it is turning the Controller Pad off after a period of inactivity but then waking it up again seems to be beyond its capabilities.

Let us know if this fixes it, otherwise it maybe a different problem. cheers  B)

Roaster
Rising Star
My wireless adapter does not start up during pc boot, so I have to disconnect the adapter and reseat it after the machine is running.  I attached it using a usb extension cable to make it more accessible.
Good tip about the power management solution.
i7-5820K @ 4.2Ghz, water cooled, Asus X99-Pro USB 3.1, 48 Gb DDR4 2400, Samsung 950 pro M.2 SSD, GTX 980 Ti SC, 750w psu

ultimateduck
Honored Guest
Thanks for the replies.  I just unplug it during startup and restart the computer.  I feel like I will go through too many batteries if I disable the auto off function.

mckracken
Explorer
power management didnt do it for me. wireless keep disconnecting- sigh

mckracken
Explorer
solved: revert the HID entry to earlier driver. Ending 16384 i think

flashvenomdesig
Honored Guest

mckracken said:

solved: revert the HID entry to earlier driver. Ending 16384 i think

How'd you do this? I can't rollback driver and it says it's up to date. Is this a registry tweak?