cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PewDiePie (Youtube #1) plays Lost in the Rift

ReT
Honored Guest
For anyone who may not know, PewDiePie is the #1 Most Subscribed YouTube user there is, with over 12.5million subscribers.

Here is a video of him demoing 'Lost in the Rift'.

27 REPLIES 27

lolwutnow3
Honored Guest
Ok I didn't watch your video. I'm not willing to post several inane messages so I can create a new thread. I bet your shit is awesome and I"m sorry.

Since this shit is based off smart phone displays, why can't someone just do an app with a line in the middle and an eight dollar foam head thing... like seriously.. what is Oculus even doing? If VR is just a split screen smart phone, just fucking do that. It would lake like a few minutes taping up some black spandex and some elastic cord.

DarrenM
Explorer
What the rift gives is more precise, low latency head tracking. You also need low weight so that it doesn't wobble with quick head movement. A phone adds extra bulk. The consumer version may not end up with the same panel as a smart phone because they want low latency, low persistence and minimal gap between pixels. Issues smart phones don't care so much about.

Phones are also a lot less powerful than PC's so good luck running a game with PC/next gen console level graphics in 1080p or higher. It's also more complicated than just split screen since the game/app needs to warp the display to correct the distortion from the lenses.

Using a phone with some goggles would be fine for watching video in a VR cinema type app, but not for gaming. Not with current phones anyway.

Zimtower
Expert Protege
"lolwutnow3" wrote:
Ok I didn't watch your video. I'm not willing to post several inane messages so I can create a new thread. I bet your shit is awesome and I"m sorry.

Since this shit is based off smart phone displays, why can't someone just do an app with a line in the middle and an eight dollar foam head thing... like seriously.. what is Oculus even doing? If VR is just a split screen smart phone, just fucking do that. It would lake like a few minutes taping up some black spandex and some elastic cord.

Such a simpleton way of thinking, Virtual Reality requires low latency and other built-in technologies that the Oculus team is working on to prevent motion sickness and enhance immersion. A smartphone cannot provide that kind of capability.

ReT
Honored Guest
"lolwutnow3" wrote:

I'm going to pretend for a second that your post is even remotely relevant to this thread, and reply with a somewhat *neutral*

KrixusParabellu
Explorer
Didn't know about lost in the rift, Imma give it a try definitly looks scary as sh*t ahahah
I really wonder how in the hell this man managed to get 12 million subscribers with his channel and in so little time
He's good and funny, that's for sure, but there's been litterally thousands of gaming channels on youtube before him, no idea how in the hell he pulled this off

KBK
Protege
"KrixusParabellum" wrote:

I really wonder how in the hell this man managed to get 12 million subscribers with his channel and in so little time
He's good and funny, that's for sure, but there's been literally thousands of gaming channels on youtube before him, no idea how in the hell he pulled this off

Welcome to the new boss. more extreme than the old boss. It's not about pressing old buttons. It's pressing the old buttons in a more visceral and 'new context' than the old way. It's monkey talk.

It is the silence in the mind that allows thought, rumination, and intelligence -to emerge.

Anything else is just a pile of brain defeating noise. To integrate and challenge in the same way and method as anyone else, but more accentuated.... is to be a more perfected extreme nothingness. Ie, how to be a bigger zero that the prior idiot.

The modern cell phone, smartphone, and whatever world.... is not one of greater intelligence, but one of brain defeating noise. The greater the noise, both internal and externally inflicted upon, the lesser the mind. If one involves themselves in the noise then they begin to self generate the noise within. They lose sight of HOW to think (if indeed they ever approached it).

It is fundamentally connected to this issue:

http://phys.org/news/2013-08-poverty-cognitive-ten-iq.html

"Researcher finds that poverty's 'cognitive cost' translates to as many as ten IQ points"

meaning, after all other conditionals are accounted for, the mental pressure put into poverty alone, to stay afloat, this alone drops IQ by 10 points. in the average person, that drops one to an IQ of 90.

To be involved in social media in an extreme way, playing with your cell phone all the fucking time is actually dumbing one's self down, as it is all extraneous input with no processing. No mental silence with which to process and grow the mind -via. It also takes time to learn how to deal with the silence and have intelligence and thought emerge, as at first it would be like fighting extreme addiction.

Too much fucking noise.
Intelligence... is not inherent - it is a point in understanding. Q: When does a fire become self sustaining?

RirtualVeality
Adventurer
"KBK" wrote:
"KrixusParabellum" wrote:

He's good and funny, that's for sure, but there's been literally thousands of gaming channels on youtube before him, no idea how in the hell he pulled this off

Welcome to the new boss. more extreme than the old boss. It's not about pressing old buttons. It's pressing the old buttons in a more visceral and 'new context' than the old way. It's monkey talk.

It is the silence in the mind that allows thought, rumination, and intelligence -to emerge.

Anything else is just a pile of brain defeating noise. To integrate and challenge in the same way and method as anyone else, but more accentuated.... is to be a more perfected extreme nothingness. Ie, how to be a bigger zero that the prior idiot.

The modern cell phone, smartphone, and whatever world.... is not one of greater intelligence, but one of brain defeating noise. The greater the noise, both internal and externally inflicted upon, the lesser the mind. If one involves themselves in the noise then they begin to self generate the noise within. They lose sight of HOW to think (if indeed they ever approached it).

It is fundamentally connected to this issue:

http://phys.org/news/2013-08-poverty-cognitive-ten-iq.html

"Researcher finds that poverty's 'cognitive cost' translates to as many as ten IQ points"

meaning, after all other conditionals are accounted for, the mental pressure put into poverty alone, to stay afloat, this alone drops IQ by 10 points. in the average person, that drops one to an IQ of 90.

To be involved in social media in an extreme way, playing with your cell phone all the fucking time is actually dumbing one's self down, as it is all extraneous input with no processing. No mental silence with which to process and grow the mind -via. It also takes time to learn how to deal with the silence and have intelligence and thought emerge, as at first it would be like fighting extreme addiction.

Too much fucking noise.

Dude....what in the FUCK are you babbling about?

Jose
Heroic Explorer
I think he's suggesting that all the noise generated by modern VR content is going to dumb down the population.

candiedbug
Honored Guest
"lolwutnow3" wrote:

Hijacking someone else's thread is really impolite.