I know I'm kicking a dead horse, but I'd like to see different environments in Home — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

I know I'm kicking a dead horse, but I'd like to see different environments in Home

kzintzikzintzi Posts: 1,068
Wintermute
I'd love to be able to change home to be more personal - I'd love to be able to have a steampunk, hi tech, or other environment to change it to - I'm a fairly decent CG modeller/script-monkey (before life/kids got in the way I used to spend hours with Lightwave, Maya and so on, and when I have time these days I play with Unity in the hopes that I can get eventually get enough time together to make my own experience) and I'd devote some time to making new environments if there was an appropriate API or interface.

@cybereality I know you can't comment, but I hope that by popping a new discussion about this on the forum again (and maybe getting everyone to like or add their own "me too" to this thread) we can prompt someone to look at this if they're not already doing so, or at the very least make sure you guys are aware that we would still LOVE to be able to do this.
Though you are more than slightly incoherent, I agree with you Madam,
a plum is a terrible thing to do to a nostril.

Comments

• FrozenPeaFrozenPea Posts: 2,535 Valuable Player
    I remember when some guy on Reddit went through the Oculus Home code and found that the environment looks like it is setup to be customisation but it's just a question of time. I think there are lots more important updates to come before that is going to be something worth spending time on!

Id rather they spent time on Touch etc. :)
  • RiftsRifts Posts: 154
    Art3mis
    Agreed! They could just make it user generated. With the release of Nvidia Ansel I've got plenty of amazing screenshots from Mirror's Edge I'd love to use as home environments.
  • Shadowmask72Shadowmask72 Posts: 3,700 Valuable Player
    Awww Rifts, please can you post em or host em on Steam? I think someone asked before but are they 3D or 2D wrap around images, can you do both?

System Specs: RTX 2080 ti , i9 9900K CPU, 16 GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 10 64 Bit OS.
  • DannyMNLDannyMNL Posts: 273
    Nexus 6
    Oculus Home is still in BETA, 4 months after release. I think they want to and should add more features before they start working on visual customization. 

I agree that the current backdrop is getting a bit familiar, but function should have priority at the moment.
    ASUS Z97-Pro Gamer | Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1660 Ti Gaming OC 6Gb | i7-4790K 4.0Ghz | Crucial Ballistix 16Gb DDR3-1600 | Cooler Master G750M | Windows 10 64-bit | AOC G2460PG G-Sync 144hz 3D-monitor
  • vannagirlvannagirl Posts: 2,002 Valuable Player
    This is a great idea, i can imagine that Oculus most know this also and will give us new and fun versions. I totally love the punk idea btw i would love to have cyber version.

Fell in love with this style through Richard K. Morgan books The Takeshi Kovacs Novels that someone gave me once to recover from some surgery

There are endless versions, imagine if they gave this to modders?? so we could recreate ourselves

Look, man. I only need to know one thing: where they are. 
  • JaggerWolfJaggerWolf Posts: 129
    Art3mis
    I would absolutely love to change the home scene - It's just to....plain :) Would love to turn it into some creepy haunted house or something. I think it should be able to be modded - Just give users the reigns and let us take the workload while they continue on important stuff :)
  • kzintzikzintzi Posts: 1,068
    Wintermute
    vannagirl said:
    This is a great idea, i can imagine that Oculus most know this also and will give us new and fun versions. I totally love the punk idea btw i would love to have cyber version.

Fell in love with this style through Richard K. Morgan books The Takeshi Kovacs Novels that someone gave me once to recover from some surgery

There are endless versions, imagine if they gave this to modders?? so we could recreate ourselves

Those books are absolutely amazing. I recommend them to anyone who hasn't read them
  • GravityXGravityX Posts: 12
    NerveGear
    I too would like to see this. It would be cool if they could add in customization options for adding your own photos in frames in your environment. Like on a wall, etc. So, say a photo of your significant other in a frame on the wall, or deck it out with your favorite movie posters. :)
    Art3mis
    Awww Rifts, please can you post em or host em on Steam? I think someone asked before but are they 3D or 2D wrap around images, can you do both?
    It's both! So it really lets you see how the game would look if it was VR-capable. Haven't figured out how to post on steam but here's one if you want to download in full 8k glory!
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/142534287@N03/28564306285/in/dateposted-public/
  • GenetixStudioGenetixStudio Posts: 770
    3Jane
    I know we need to be patient - but I want to add my voice to this cause. I'd love to be able and switch up the environment, customize it, and explore it!
  • kzintzikzintzi Posts: 1,068
    Wintermute
    bump
  • jayhawkjayhawk Posts: 808
    3Jane
    Not sure about wrapped images. An image can't compete with a virtualized environment like it is now IMO. I'm sure the option will come eventually.
  • TwoHedWlfTwoHedWlf Posts: 2,234 Valuable Player
    It'd be cool to have the whole thing customizable.  Maybe even something like have a bunch of shelves with little models for each game that can be used to run the game rather than the current menu.

Not exclusively, keep the current menu system.  So you can walk over to the shelf and pick the game. But once that novelty wears off you can go back to using the home menu. :)
  • LZoltowskiLZoltowski Posts: 6,774 Volunteer Moderator
    All great points ... and I was the one who was annoyed when I could not change my wallpaper on a 1st gen iPhone ... but is it REALLY so important for now? Id rather they focus on perfecting more pressing areas. 

Quality tracking on scenes created that overloaded the GPU and made the home interface unusable will be a bit of a challenge.

I feel this is more of an enthusiast feature for now.
    Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another :)
  • KillCardKillCard Posts: 1,078
    Wintermute
    I would like the ability to just explore that environment a little bit. Go and see whats up stairs .. grab a drink from the bar. Looks like a really nice and chill environment.

If they were smart, they would make it so you could move around with the controller, find a TV that actually works as a VR Cinema TV and allows you to load and watch movie files. And also find a computer that actually works as a virtual desktop...

Then you wouldnt have to take the Rift off... and I can just get the Rift surgically implanted into my face and get hooked up to an IV drip.
  • I too would like to see this implemented kind of like how Virtual Desktop changes the environment would be cool. 
  • ThugThug Posts: 431
    Trinity
    edited July 2016
    KillCard said:
    I would like the ability to just explore that environment a little bit. Go and see whats up stairs .. grab a drink from the bar. Looks like a really nice and chill environment.

If they were smart, they would make it so you could move around with the controller, find a TV that actually works as a VR Cinema TV and allows you to load and watch movie files. And also find a computer that actually works as a virtual desktop...

Then you wouldnt have to take the Rift off... and I can just get the Rift surgically implanted into my face and get hooked up to an IV drip.

I think I would draw the line at a virtual toilet, where you walk over to it to have a pee.
    Could get quite messy.
    CPU: Intel i7-5820k @3.30GHz,
    Graphics Card: Nvidia Geforce GTX1080,
    RAM: 16GB DDR5,
    Viewed on: Oculus Rift or 28" BenQ monitor (x2),
    Hard Drive: 240GB OCZ SSD (games), 128GB Samsung SSD (OS), 64GB SSD (3d),
  • Shadowmask72Shadowmask72 Posts: 3,700 Valuable Player
    Hey Rifts there needs to be a new thread for this but that image is really nice. Love the way you captured Faith in action pose.

If anyone is interested. Boot up Virtual Desktop and just drag Rift's file (saved on your desktop) into the 360 Photo viewer and BAM! Yours is better than the default Nvidia ones Rifts.

<3 

System Specs: RTX 2080 ti , i9 9900K CPU, 16 GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 10 64 Bit OS.
  • ThmoasThmoas Posts: 318
    Trinity
    Its the first thing i thought when launching home: How do i get up and get a drink at that bar :) but i think they have other priorities for now and for some time to come. Also, they will probably want to keep some level of quality.
    Art3mis
    edited July 2016
    @Shadowmask72 Thanks I'm glad you liked it! After all I had to sacrifice her life to take that screenshot but I thought it was worth it ;)