New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Has Shadowmask72 made a total mess of this forum?

SpyderSiSpyderSi Posts: 52
Hiro Protagonist
edited July 2016 in Games and Apps

Has Shadowmask72 made a total mess of this forum? 44 votes

Oh for sure
27%
SpyderSilukwtwzphilkillssin5455Shadowmask72MyrskalleTwoHedWlfSpiceLife72moggie007mbze430Zenbanepertm 12 votes
Nope
72%
cyberealityLuciferousRedRizlatwisteklabsjademantranceology3birkThreeDeeVisionpjenness[Deleted User]Nipocmaxpare79mmedArock387ZandilbenplaceThugTechy111PathlessNomadGreyman 32 votes

Comments

• Techy111Techy111 Posts: 6,735 Volunteer Moderator
    Nope
    Sorry but......lmao
    A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

• OpticKingOpticKing Posts: 1,185
    Wintermute
    Nope
    New threads like that vanish in the behind pages easily, and the need for (user) reviews is real, for anyone that has a budget in mind, I personally bookmarked the master thread for them he posted. Plus this forum was a mess long before he started the review threads.
  • cyberealitycybereality Posts: 26,156 Oculus Staff
    Nope
    I think it's fine, and it keeps discussion of each game to one thread. Previously everybody with a question or review on a game would post a brand new topic, which is probably worse. In any case, it does look a little spammy only because so many games were done at once. Moving forward I don't think it will be an issue.
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
  • Shadowmask72Shadowmask72 Posts: 4,072 Valuable Player
    Oh for sure

>:) 

System Specs: RTX 2080 ti , i9 9900K CPU, 16 GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 10 64 Bit OS.
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 15,148 Valuable Player
    Oh for sure
    I voted yes, but it's important to note that I consider a forum that is a total mess to be incredibly sexay.

Also, I don't think a "total mess" is the same thing as "total garbage." The forum is just the right kind of messy to get da' juices flowin, na' mean?
    Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
  • SpyderSiSpyderSi Posts: 52
    Hiro Protagonist
    Oh for sure
    Maybe we need some sub-forums within the categories?
  • lukwtwzlukwtwz Posts: 64
    Hiro Protagonist
    edited July 2016
    Oh for sure
    I voted 'yes' because viewing 'Games and Apps' on most days of the week produces a long list of threads created by the same person with this long list of mostly identical profile icons running all the way down the screen. It's a mess at least in the sense of being an eyesore.The following image is from a few minutes ago.

• RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 7,018 Valuable Player
    Nope
    I actually like what Shadow72 has done here. I bought a few games I regretted, but since the poll threads I'm happy with my purchases so far.
  • Arock387Arock387 Posts: 729
    Trinity
    Nope
    Ive found his rating threads rather helpful actually
  • jademanjademan Posts: 268
    Nexus 6
    edited July 2016
    Nope
    Thank you, Shadowmask72, for giving this forum something it really needed.
    edited July 2016
    Oh for sure
    I think Shadow deserves a proper nod for creating these review threads. As others mentioned, the Review threads have become highly beneficial in helping people decide if they wanna purchase a new VR application. Considering this is a new market that comes at a high up-front cost for the average consumer, not everyone can afford to spend $20+ dollars every other day for weeks hoping that they are buying something in VR that they will actually enjoy.

If we were to consider the opposite of what Shadow has done here, then we would be talking about multiple people creating multiple game review threads. That tends to become much messier because of the fact that not everyone creates the same Rating System. Shadow provided an across-the-board standard for rating all these games, which is fantastic for anyone trying to decide what to invest in.

As opposed to, lets say:

1. Vote for Subnautica: 1) Good; 2) Bad
    2. Do you like Dead Secret? 1) Yes; 2) Not at all; 3) Just a little
    3. On a scale of 1-10, how strongly would you recommend Chronos?

Without a common rating system we aren't really helping people decide; we're just talking about stuff while the reader is looking through as many posts/threads with the hope of trying to gain enough info and context to feel comfortable making a purchase decision. Shadow has allowed the reader to skip that painful process and make a definitive purchase decision very quickly with a reliable degree of confidence.

Okay, that's my honest take on the situation; I can only say nice things for so long before my no-no spot starts to swell.
  • GreymanGreyman Posts: 1,324
    Wintermute
    edited July 2016
    Nope
    Discussion forums are designed to promote, guess what, discussion and OPs that don't do that well enough will soon find themselves in the lower pages, leaving the front page with those that have generated a sustained interest for the users.

Surely the fact that these game review posts are still on the first page indicates that they are being read and contributions are still being made.  I don't see any "bumps" either, so their position is not being artificially boosted.

Personally, I really value the threads and now that @shadowmask72 has changed his avatar, the page really does look different.  ;)
    Oh for sure
    I think some people might have been intimidated by the black and yellow colours of my previous avatars ( possibly reminding them of angry wasps) so I changed it to more softer tones. 

:love:

• GreymanGreyman Posts: 1,324
    Wintermute
    Nope
    Lol, I forgot to vote.  
    Oh for sure
    On a more serious note let's put this to rest as I don't feel the need for my own poll although the irony is pretty  funny in this instance and I'm sure it's quite deliberate, so bravo OP.

When I first came up with the idea after someone made a comment about user reviews (sorry I can't recall their name) my plan was to post all of the poll threads in the "Community" section which as you may or may not know is a hidden area where posts would sit in limbo. The only way to access them is via a direct link. So my idea was to link to these hidden posts via the main directory thread you see stickied now. It seemed like a great way to NOT clog up the forums with loads of poll posts.  However, the "Community" section was actually a bug in the forums and had been fixed so I couldn't stick with my original plan. 

I then figured (like most people have now) that once the initial rush of people posting reviews was over these poll threads would simply bury themselves letting other threads take over. Also because I had to start from scratch there were loads of threads created. Obviously over time there's never going to be that many releases at the same time so it's a one off. 

Now, as others have pointed out,  these threads keep getting bumped up because people are using them to post reviews as it was intended. It's showing that the directory is actually serving its purpose which is fantastic.  When I made the polls initially I didn't think everyone would be so forthcoming with the text reviews as well so that was an added bonus and an awesome display of community spirit. If people simply voted then those topics would stay buried.

I've also maintained that anyone is welcome to create a poll for a new game or something I've missed for it to be added to the directory (using the same format). It's a team effort as far as I'm concerned. 

Tl:DR 

It wasn't intentional for the polls to be so visible.Those older poll threads will eventually bury themselves.

• LuciferousLuciferous Posts: 2,379 Valuable Player
    Nope
    If I want to know what a game is like I now go straight to the ShadowMasks Review Emporium. Excellent work.:)
  • MradrMradr Posts: 3,753 Valuable Player
    If I haven't typical said anything :P that means you are doing something right ^__^;
    Oh for sure
    Another new Avatar pic, Shadow?? It's like I don't even know who you are anymore :p
  • SpiceLife72SpiceLife72 Posts: 154
    Art3mis
    Oh for sure
    This is a forum not a game review site.  If you want a review score of a game, you can google hundreds of them.  There is no need to make threads just so Shadow can boost his troll count.
  • LuciferousLuciferous Posts: 2,379 Valuable Player
    edited July 2016
    Nope

Just your opinion Spice, so far there is a 70-30 in favour so you are in the minority.

I don't remember anywhere in the official forum rules saying you cannot post Reviews or look for them here?

I am here because all things Oculus are under one roof (and anything interesting happening on the Vive). Even if somebody puts something on twitter it is reposted here if it is significant.

Look at each review thread and you will find many useful comments and reviews from people who bought the game. You can also see that the people are regular posters here and not just posting crap comments.

If I were looking for non VR games then I would go elsewhere but until this becomes more mainstream viva the emporium.

• nalex66nalex66 Posts: 5,431 Volunteer Moderator
    I think some people might have been intimidated by the black and yellow colours of my previous avatars ( possibly reminding them of angry wasps) so I changed it to more softer tones. 

:love:
    I'm not sure about your new 'anime girl' avatar... now I'm feeling slightly aroused and confused.  :s
    i7 5820K @ 4.25GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32GB | Corsair HX 750W
    SSDs: Intel 660p M.2 2TB, Samsung 860 Evo 1TB, 850 Evo 1TB, 840 Evo 1TB | Startech 4 controller PCIe USB 3.0
  • GenetixStudioGenetixStudio Posts: 770
    3Jane
    Nope
    I'm really happy to have a dedicated thread to each game and a quick way to see what people have to say about the game.
    Oh for sure
    This is a forum not a game review site.  If you want a review score of a game, you can google hundreds of them.  There is no need to make threads just so Shadow can boost his troll count.
    The Games & Apps review threads were made on the Games & Apps forum, which seems appropriate. Using an Internet Search engine to find reviews of games doesn't always help since the source the reader comes across may be highly biased or have a hidden agenda (e.g., attention seeking such as the post you just made).

Also, there is no consistency among the search results, so the reader faces the problems I already described.

Lastly, searching and reading through hundreds of search results takes an unnecessarily long time; why on Earth would someone who named himself after the phrase, "the spice of life," suggest that people spread a simple task over several hours instead of several minutes? The irony around here is hilarious.
  • ThreeDeeVisionThreeDeeVision Posts: 2,087
    Wintermute
    Nope
    I like how Shadow voted against himself  :D
    i7 5960X @ 3.8 GHz | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 PC2800 | GTX Titan X Pascal | Win 10 64 bit | Asus ROG PG348Q | EVGA X99 Classified