cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Am I the only one that is going to use a gamepad in vr more then touch?

Huxley133
Protege
Let me start of by saying that motion controllers are great and probably one of the best ways to experience VR as it is really immersive and mind blowing. BUT I really don't want to do that the whole time. Most of the time I want to be visually immersed but physically relaxed.

Someone wrote an interesting theory about how this depends on whether you see yourself as your body or just your mind/soul. In my case its definitely the mind. So it's just awesome to transfer your mind into the virtual world and control yourself like a superhero with some buttons and a stick. 

I always thought that a lot of gamers would share this opinion but with the current Roomscale VR and touch hype it seems like people think motion controllers are necessary for a VR experience. 

I also own a Vive for a long time now. I clearly see that in my free time I use VR about 80% seated and with a gamepad and 20% Roomscale VR. 

Any other people that share this opinion? 😄 
43 REPLIES 43

Greyman
Superstar
I tend to play cockpit/seated games more at the moment, but wil probably get the touch controllers.  However, having tried out leap motion, one thing became immediately obvious.  I really need to move my PC to a bigger room or I am definitely going to put one of both of the controllers through my monitors or bash them on my desk.

to that end, I will be clearing out a bigger room next week and moving in the computers. 😉

Map63Vette
Adventurer
I'm sort of in the same boat as you.  If the Touch are reasonably priced I'll probably pick them up so I have the option to do stuff, but it will depend on the game lineup as well as to whether I have any desire to play those games.  I like to relax while gaming as well, so I'm a fan of controllers.  Frankly, I think a "split" controller like the Touch (which is essentially a controller sawed in half) would be pretty cool for relaxed gaming.  I've always wanted to try playing an RPG with a setup like that.

Nipoc
Adventurer
The controller type will probably depend on the games, some games work better with a gamepad (Lucky's Tale, cockpit games...) , other with touch (job simulator, sport games...).

I hope there will be  healthy balance between gamepad and touch games.

KennyJennings
Protege
Yeah, a lot of people (especially Vive enthusiasts) seem to think that motion controllers are essential with VR, but I disagree. Sure, I'm really looking forward to touch and I'll buy a pair when they come out, but I don't think that will in any way be essential for VR. I think Vive fans are just using motion controllers as another way to say "ours is better". People who were gamers before they started using VR are probably gonna use game pads more, cause that's what they're used to. Over all, I'm really looking forward to touch, but I don't think it'll in any way replace game pads for VR.

Mr_Creepy
Rising Star
I personally don't share that opinion, i will more likely spend 80% of the time playing with tracked controllers. Plenty of people are in the same boat as you though.

Fredd32
Adventurer
I will remain open to whatever experiences interest me either way. I know that some games will be awesome with touch, but the xbox one gamepad is really nice for platformers and 3rd person games. I am looking forward to getting my hands in there with me though too.

MollyTheDolly
Explorer
I had my rift for about 2 months before I got my vive. And though I feel like after a long day at work the last thing I want to do is stand up and walk around, swat, stab / shoot things. I think that Motion controllers really make an engaging VR experience. That's not to say that you can't have as much fun with a hotas or wheel or an xbox controller 

PaulusW
Honored Guest
I hate and loathe gamepads for anything - I don't use a gamepad if I can help it at all - unfortunately I have to use one to play Lucky's Tale - it took my ages to get used to it and although I love the game, it is, along with Elite Dangerous just about the only games I play on the Rift and resented having to use it for that.

So my answer is no - I will not be using the gamepad if I can possibly avoid it - and I really hope that there is a keyboard and mouse option for Minecraft VR on the Rift - if it's gamepad only I will not play it at all.  If not for Lucky's Tale I would have probably left the gamepad in the box and never even put batteries in it.

Greyman
Superstar
Minecraft will almost certainly be a Touch only game and considering the difficulty in finding the "home" keys let alone the keyboard and mouse themselves, when you have a headset on, that would break immersion even for expert touch typists.