cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

embarassing noob question

gapper4
Protege
Hi guys,

Just tried a few demos and, well, got them to run fine but, to my embarassment, I can't seem to figure out how to quit them. The rollercoaster demo and Delta Draconis, to name just two. I pretty much have to ctrl-alt-del my way out of them. If there a convention on how to exit those things ? Surely I'm missing something.
9 REPLIES 9

DeadlyJoe
Rising Star
Many of these demos are bare bones applications and their developers often pay little service to luxuries such as closing their processes gracefully. 😉

Some demos even trap ALT-F4 for some reason which is beyond God's understanding. Try to figure that one out.

Most Unity demos can be shut down by pressing ESC. Most other demos that lack any "Quit" feature can be shut down with ALT-F4. For the few demos that don't have any obvious exit feature, you'll have to CTRL-ALT-DEL to the task manager and manually kill the process.

Christiaan
Protege
in UDK demos, bring up the console with "`" and type "quit"

gapper4
Protege
Aweright, thanks guys. A bit cumbersome but, hey, it IS is dev kit 🙂

Baconstrip
Honored Guest
for Riftcoaster, I had to ALT-ESC, which minimizes, then right click close from the taskbar.

So thank you for console quit command, that is much better! 😄

DeadlyJoe
Rising Star
"gapper4" wrote:

To be clear, it's not a Rift issue. It's simply that we developers are lazy sods... sometimes. 😉

gapper4
Protege
"DeadlyJoe" wrote:
"gapper4" wrote:

To be clear, it's not a Rift issue. It's simply that we developers are lazy sods... sometimes. 😉

Actually, I'm extremely grateful to all devs, even the lazy ones 🙂 If it weren't for them I'd have to interact with my wife and kids for entertainment (shudder...)

mdk
Honored Guest
I do have to say that it is a bit lazy not to add that quit function. I usually do forget it at the begining, but if I do something that I intend to share I will definately add it before I release the program. In unity you only need a few lines of code.

if (Input.GetKey ("escape")) {
Application.Quit();
}

MangaCorps
Honored Guest
you should feel embarrassed. :ugeek:
{}\/{}anga

DeepRifter
Honored Guest
LOL, I had the same question when I first dove into the Rift so don't feel embarrassed.