New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Oculus Rift crashing/freezing my PC almost everytime...

MysticmausMysticmaus Posts: 9
NerveGear
edited August 2016 in Support
Hi!

Since i have my Oculus Rift my PC is having problems ... everytime when i am playing a game, it crashes/freezes my PC after a few minutes...

I have a high-end PC with 2x a Nvidia GTX 980 Ti , most of the time i have it in SLI , but in normal mode i also have the same problems ..

The GPU temps goes up to 80 C sometimes but nothing strange , it should be able to handle that.
The last time my PC crashed it was not even at 70 C..

Anybody has the same problems too? / Know how to fix this?

Greetings

Comments

• pkivolowitzpkivolowitz Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Rift is a very expensive reset button for me.
  • cyberealitycybereality Posts: 26,156 Oculus Staff
    Are you running Nvidia Surround? Which games specifically are crashing?
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
  • MysticmausMysticmaus Posts: 9
    NerveGear
    Are you running Nvidia Surround? Which games specifically are crashing?
    Hi , no i am not running Nvidia Surround.

It happens to all games what have rift support , they all crash the whole PC after a few minutes in the game , normal games without rift work fine.
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
    NerveGear
    Sorry for the delay , here is the zip file >

Please let me know if you see what is causing these freezes / crashes

I'm not seeing anything that looks like it would cause a crash. I see a bunch of sessions errors, which could be solved by logging out and logging in to the Oculus app and then reinstalling the Oculus software. There is also an error about failing to set the power level on the Nvidia card. Haven't seen that one before. Do you have the latest video driver?
    NerveGear
    Yes i have the latest Nvidia driver, never changed anything to it.

Strange that you cannot see anything :(
  • Gwiz84Gwiz84 Posts: 292
    Nexus 6
    You realise sli is not supported? Try disabling that.
    NerveGear
    Gwiz84 said:
    No it did not know this ... , maybe that is the problem :) , but then if i use my on only 1 980 TI then it gets really hot , like 84 C hot ... that is why i use SLI to split the load.
  • Gwiz84Gwiz84 Posts: 292
    Nexus 6
    edited August 2016
    Gwiz84 said:
    No it did not know this ... , maybe that is the problem :) , but then if i use my on only 1 980 TI then it gets really hot , like 84 C hot ... that is why i use SLI to split the load.
    If your GPU gets too hot then something is wrong with how you arranged you computer.

You do have fans in your computer case creating an airflow through the case right? Also have you neatly packed all wires in the case into the back so that there is nothing obstructing the airflow? You should open up your pc and start doing some cable management I think.

If there's not plenty of space in your case where air flows from fx the front to the back and upwards or out through the back then you need to do something about it if you want your computer to last.
  • vlodatovlodato Posts: 132
    Art3mis
    If your gpu is that hot then your Cpu could be thermal throttling to the point of system lock up. Are those temps @idle or under load? What type of case are you running?(mitx, matx, atx) first thing I would do is leave the case open with a fan blowing into it to eliminate any thermal issues for the troubleshooting process. you could run a benchmark while watching the cpu frequency to see if it's throttling. If you can't get through firestrike without crashing then you have system instability.
    NerveGear
    To answer all your questions :

I did not put this PC together , i bought it at a company that does this for me , i just choose what i want and they build it.
    I am not very good at building PCs because i have bad eyesight. :(

BUT , i can tell you that Firestrike Ultra works flawless , both on 1 GPU or in SLI , it gives me a really high score :)
    I never looked at the CPU but maybe i should check that (to be honest , i don't what you mean with throttling)

I could leave the case open maybe yes and put a fan next to it , good idea :)
  • Comic_Book_GuyComic_Book_Guy Posts: 1,212
    3Jane
    edited August 2016

I could leave the case open maybe yes and put a fan next to it , good idea :)

I don't think that's what he meant. One shouldn't have to have the side panel off to avoid over heating. You want ( unobstructed)intake fan/s and at least one  exhaust fan on the top or rear in your typical ATX case. Have that set up properly, and temps should be a non issue.

I have a overclocked 4790k and a overclocked 1080 in a little Corsair 250D. I have a 140mm slim intake fan and my h100i GTX's fans are in pull intake, so I have no exhaust fan as I have natural exhaust happening.
    My config is a example of how you don't ALWAYS have intake and exhaust fans, but point is you need intake and then you want that hotter air exhausted naturally or pulled out.
  • vlodatovlodato Posts: 132
    Art3mis
    Well if your firestrike scores are where they should be then there has to be a software/driver issue somewhere. Just gotta find it. And when I was talking about takin the panel off and using a fan I Ment for troubleshooting purposes not a permanent solution. Thermal throttling happens when a cpu or gpu reaches its thermal limit, once this happen the frequency speeds are reduced to compensate or will shutdown completely to avoid damage. I don't think this is the case at all though if your firestrike scores are proper.
  • manumanu Posts: 78
    Hiro Protagonist
    What is the Max Wattage rating for your power supply? Also you are in a position where you can try one GPU at a time, remove the other (this will isolate any hardware issues relating to a single card. Try both.
    NerveGear
    manu said:
    What is the Max Wattage rating for your power supply? Also you are in a position where you can try one GPU at a time, remove the other (this will isolate any hardware issues relating to a single card. Try both.
    My power supply has a max wattage rating of 850 Watts , the company where i bought it said that should be enough for my PC.

I could indeed try testing 1 GPU at the time , i never removed a GPU from a PC before so i am a scared that i might damage something but i can try.

---

My CPU is 5930K , it has 6 cores so it is strong enough to handle about anything.

Hmm , about this CPU / GPU throttling , i did not know this that it is reducing frequency speeds to avoid damage , maybe this is the case of the freezing/crashing.

• Comic_Book_GuyComic_Book_Guy Posts: 1,212
    3Jane
    the company where i bought it said

Why can't people do a little research? No offense but....yikes.
    Seasonic, XFX, EVGA, Corsair etc are good brands. You shouldn't cheap out or leave it to a store to pick for you .650 wat is plenty for anyone barring SLI 1080's, even then  only need to go up to a 750wat.
  • stewjwstewjw Posts: 28
    Brain Burst
    edited August 2016
    If you have an overclocking motherboard set it to default settings. Have you tried just running it from one video card? Sometimes SLI mode can cause problems but I don't know in this case. I use a MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X and I've experienced no issues. Personally, if I was you I'd sell the the two nVidia 980 Ti's you have and buy a single MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X. I almost bought the 1080 myself but I couldn't justify it to my self the additional cost and bought the equivalent 1070 which has reduced number of CUDA cores and lacks the new faster memory found in the 1080 version.  
  • manumanu Posts: 78
    Hiro Protagonist
    If trying one card works for you, and the other doesn't - it's the card that doesn't that fails.
    If both cards work but only alone - it's the power supply or motherboard (unlikely)
    It still fails either way - Software or driver issue.

I would say 850W is good enough if you are using reference (not superclocked) 980Tis. (I would have gone for a higher power supply, you don't want the PSU operating at it's maximum power, they are very inefficient when they do that). This maybe a software issue yet. So, if you are uncomfortable with hardware, you should look at getting a professional to have a look.

The kind of PC you have is meant to play VR without issues. 

Try completely uninstalling, rebooting and re-installing nVidia's latest drivers.
    Try disabling or exiting background programs like antivirus and others (look for programs in the system tray).
    Try unplugging all peripherals you aren't using except the ones you really need for the test.
    NerveGear
    Hi!

Sorry for the late reaction , thank you for all your replies and advice! :)

I will try some things you all suggested , and let you know if i can fix the problems.

Greetings Mysticmaus
  • curiouspuyacuriouspuya Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Hi Mysticmaus.  Any luck in solving your problem?  i have the same issue as you but with an GeForce GTX 1060 6GB card.  My PC has 8GB RAM which is the minimum.  I wonder if thats the issue.  It would be great to hear back from you.  

regards

Puya
  • joel.1253236joel.1253236 Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Hi I have the same issue, when I'm using the Oculus Rift in my brand new Alienware 17 R4 laptop crashes and I can't even turn off the computer or force close the Oculus program, I have to long press the power button until the computer shuts off completely, also the desktop don't work is not responsive. Hope someone from Oculus can help us. If I will try to return the Oculus, It's not wort to have something that you can't even use.

This is my computer info 
    Operating System

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit English

Video Card

NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1070 with 8GB GDDR5 Overclocked

Memory

16GB DDR4 at 2400MHz (2x8GB)
  • SneakyglowormSneakygloworm Posts: 105
    Art3mis
    If I can post this here, I would say stress test your pc and find out what actually fails and when. 

http://www.ocbase.com/index.php/download

OCCT will test CPU, GPU and PSU. When the duck quacks, something has failed. If the test lasts more than 10 minutes, you'll probly be okay to assume it's not a hardware issue. 
  • HowSickTVHowSickTV Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Was anyone ever able to find a reason for this mess up? i got an oculus for Christmas and about a week ago every time i try to play a game within a couple seconds to a few minutes my game and computer all crash.

If anyone has figured out a fix for this please let me know!
  • YoLolo69YoLolo69 Posts: 1,132
    Wintermute
    The reason is kind of simple. As it work for the vast majority of persons, you can assume you have a pretty big chance it came from your configuration. Stress test your machine like explained above, remove all kind of overclock if you did some, check all temperatures before it crash, if your PC crash check event or dump files, etc. PC is a mess by nature.

“Dreams feel real while we are in them, it's only when we wake up that we realize something was strange.” - Dom Cobb

"Be careful, if you are killed in real life you die in VR too." - TD_4242

I7 3770K OC 4.5GHz, GTX1080 OC 10%, 16GB DDR3 2448  OC, Oculus Rift CV1

• TheMoe87TheMoe87 Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    got the same problem. recent drivers installed. cpu temp 50 gpu clock 50. but crash happens event on desktop just by closing down oculus home software.

• FireWizard43FireWizard43 Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    i have heard that it might be the audio so try using different headphones, if you go on to download oculus on a search engine and click your headset (rift S) then it will say you have already installed so click repair (this shouldn't get rid of all of ur games) if it does just reinstall you wont have to buy again i ahvent finished the test i will let know if it works

• CptKyle8CptKyle8 Posts: 1
    NerveGear
         I am working on an issue like this now as well.  Play for 15 minutes or so and then the screen shuts off and I can hear ringing for a few seconds.  If you are using Steam VR with Oculus, Steam VR says something like "lost connection with the display, try reseating and rebooting Steam VR."  The only way I can get the headset to work again is to fully reboot my PC, and then the issue repeats; 15 minutes or so of gameplay until a crash...  I have been testing for a long time, seeing if the cords could be an issue, I tried moving a lot or staying still with no difference.  I have been through just about every software trouble shoot with Oculus support, and also any recommendations of software fixes and bugs in online forms like Toms hardware, Reddit, Oculus forums, and Microsoft forums.  I am talking with Oculus support now.  I have been surfing forums for about a month and the only guy I have seen report that he has fixed the issues I have, was on Reddit.  He said he exchanged his Oculus under warranty, and his new headset works fine.  I look at my own logs and can see lots of errors, even errors recorded before I booted up the headset.  Errors such as; permissions and possible missing/corrupted files, however I have repaired and even completely uninstalled and reinstalled Oculus software as well as several drivers, including USB drivers. So we have been trying numerous software fixes and nothing has worked yet.  They want to see my Oculus logs one more time and then they will likely just exchange the current headset under warranty.  I feel that something is messed up inside the headset's displays, causing connection issues.

I'll attach a log I just took for today that I sent Oculus.  I used the headset from 2pm and it crashed within about 20 minutes.  I played Pavlov and only experienced a bit of choppy visuals when turning my head (that looked to me like  potential display connectivity issues).  When Pavlov did not crash within about 10 minutes of test range firing.  I tried VR Chat, and that crashed within about 5 minutes.  Usually Pavlov crashes also, but it happened to not have this time, however had I kept playing I am sure it would have.

I noted that Pavlov was utilizing a little over 1300Mhz of my RTX 2080ti, VR Chat used about 2010Mhz in a world alone, so I think I'll keep an eye on that and test underclocking next incase the Oculus does not like certain frequencies coming from the GPU.  However, it could also be that since the graphics card is indicating that it needs to boost clock harder on VR Chat, it could also mean that VR Chat just has more data to transfer through the display, and there could be an issue with the headset's bandwidth of data coming through.  Of course this is just speculation, however when I first had my headset, it worked totally fine for several months, but by about month 5 it began having issues such as "Robot mic" and other known Oculus issues.  The guy who was on Reddit who solved his issues by getting a new headset explained the same thing to me.  I think if my speculations have any validity, something in the hardware related to data transfer has degraded, almost like a faulty GPU does, and the only way to increase stability is to underclock it in a way.  I still believe this is a hardware issue after all the software trouble shooting I have done, there is not much left I can even try, and the Oculus team I am working with is even running out of ideas on the software side of things.  We have tried trouble shooting straight from their hand book, and trouble shooting from all over the internet from people with similar issues.  At this point it just must be something wrong with the hardware, either something in the display connectivity inside the headset itself, or some issue with the cord (which I would not doubt since these cords get abused with motion from VR gaming).

Perhaps if we find a solution, or if I get a new headset which fixes all these issues, I will make a follow-up post, but it may be a few weeks.  Anyways, sorry for the long read, here are the logs.