cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wii Fit Balance Board + Glovepie Script = Good Idea?

Anonymous
Not applicable
So I was trying to think of different gaming controllers for foot presses and the first thing that came to mind is the wii fit balance board... You could hook it up to your pc via Bluetooth and use the program glove pie to write scripts that would simulate actions of foot presses to register as keys or joystick movements. I've written basic scripts in glove pie but nothing too advanced. I sold my balance board awhile back but have considered picking up another one just to experiment with this project...

So, what do you guys think of using the wii balance board to simulate walking? You could use it either standing or sitting and just tap your foot on it to register different actions. The wii scripting can get quite advanced and there are a lot of things you could do with the board as far as weight pressure, leaning, sensitivity. Problem is that I'm sure not many people own one... But a quick YouTube search can bring up a lot of balance board mod videos that can generate some ideas 🙂

If anyone has experience with glove pie and owns a balance board let me know maybe we could collaborate on a script together to possibly simulate in place walking or perhaps make it a useful controller for certain games to make movement more natural than a controller...

Again, not sure if this I'd a good idea or not, so I would like to know what you all think!

Thanks!:)

-mike
5 REPLIES 5

troffmo5
Honored Guest
This was an experiment i made by myself:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-sW-ElV3n0
I did'nt use glovepie, i used cwiid with python, but i can say the control is not bad. It is like driving a segway.
I think i will make more experiments with this system once i receive the devkit.
If you are good at tinkering, you can try to build a balance board by yourself. I think a plate with four load sensor and an arduino can do the job. In this way you can avoid all the problems caused by the bluetooth connection.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Cool idea!
After browsing YouTube a little I saw this video...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BQUSXDOa3g

Apparently someone had the same idea as me, way before I thought of it. 🙂

Happens all the time lol.

There's also a pretty neat video of a guy sitting on the
Balance board and leaning left and right in a motorcycle in game and it seemed like that would be quite
Immersive with the oculus rift! Making a glovepie script to simulate
Your butt leaning left and right on the board and acting as an analog joystick is very simple to do...

Infinimitsu
Explorer
I have been trying to get something like this working using two Wii Balance Boards. I'm having trouble writing any type of working script in GlovePie and I can't seem to get PPJoy to install on my Windows 8 machine. Very frustrating. I have my ideas written down and sketched out, and what I thought was supposed to be working scripts. When I get some free time I'll post as much info as I can about my concept.

Felix12g
Honored Guest
aabel has been doing some nice stuff with a wii board in this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=219
Code Monkey

Infinimitsu
Explorer
Fantastic thread. Thanks!