BigScreen update - had a fair amount of fun with this last night — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

BigScreen update - had a fair amount of fun with this last night

kzintzikzintzi Posts: 1,068
Wintermute
Hey all

I saw BigScreen Beta on Home last night and thought I'd have another go - it was a fair amount of fun :smile:

worked really well, and I had fun talking to the two American guys I dropped in on - they had an unsurprisingly large number of questions about Australia and how many of our animals/insects don't want to kill you (as we all know, most of them do - even some of the sheep can be dodgy if you turn your back on them). they also wanted to know if we listened to music like the rest of the world.. hilarious.

it'd be nice to chat to a few of you on there and put voices to the names - the timezone difference REALLY sucks though - it was 5pm over here and the guys I was speaking to said it was 2am or some such malarkey over in the US... probably doesn't lend itself to too much collaboration or getting to know @Zenbane, @LZoltowski, or @cybereality..
Though you are more than slightly incoherent, I agree with you Madam,
a plum is a terrible thing to do to a nostril.

Comments

• ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 14,379 Valuable Player
    Yes, I've been looking forward to getting in on some group action. I know people having been chatting it up with Ascension VR, and now even Big Screens. I honestly haven't had much time to play much of anything lately due to an influx of work, coupled with family life. However, things are starting to get relaxed again so hopefully I can jump online with folks very soon.
    Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
  • BloodletBloodlet Posts: 735
    3Jane
    Anyone know if the Oculus Home Bigscreen beta and the steam version are cross compatible?

Can an Oculus Home user drop into a Steam users room?
  • viscvisc Posts: 5
    NerveGear
    Nothing is compatible??!?! I'm quite angry about this.

If anyone wants to play BlazeRush - Add me to Ur Oculus home account.

Cheers L(
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 14,379 Valuable Player
    So I originally had the Steam version installed. Which I promptly removed once the Oculus Home version came out. However, I can't get it to run. I searched for the error resolution, and it does seem like I'm not alone with the problem. Anyone who ran the Steam version first will likely have application errors with the Oculus version.

I haven't had any luck fixing the problem though.
    Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
  • NobodyImportantNobodyImportant Posts: 26
    Brain Burst
    I left my Steam version installed and installed the Oculus Home one in addition.  I just run whichever one is closest when the urge takes me.  Both seem to work fine.
  • ZandilZandil Posts: 975
    3Jane
    Yeah pretty bad here in Australia, got to watch out for all the deadly spiders that like to hide in the Rift. 
  • GreymanGreyman Posts: 1,313
    Wintermute
    LOL and wouldn't it be "funny" if you loaded that new OH arachnophobia app, before putting on the headset, and thought that said spider was just a very lifelike virtual version?  
  • kojackkojack Posts: 5,453 Volunteer Moderator
  • CrashFuCrashFu Posts: 1,756 Valuable Player
    I used bigscreen to watch some hulu tonight (even though I already have the hulu vr app installed).   Seems nice.  I'm curious what actually can be displayed / watched by groups of people?  Potentially, I'd be really interested in watching some movies with other people in the community  (and riffing on those movies, MST3K style :grin:  )

Also, can OP confirm that the Australian language began as english but has since become 90% slang?  I tried watching a DVD of Mad Max with the "original australian english" and couldn't understand hardly any of it.  Thankfully, there was a separate "english dub" option on the DVD.
    It's hard being the voice of reason when you're surrounded by unreasonable people.
  • GreymanGreyman Posts: 1,313
    Wintermute
    edited August 2016
    When the original immigrants travelled to Australia from Britain, sticking to laws and rules, of language in this case, might not have been their strong point.  ;)
  • cero490cero490 Posts: 204
    Nexus 6
    100+ hours on Steam and unknown amount from Oculus Home. Just use whichever is faster to access at the time as they both work perfectly for me. I think it's safe to say I enjoy it.
  • kzintzikzintzi Posts: 1,068
    Wintermute
    edited August 2016
    CrashFu said:

Also, can OP confirm that the Australian language began as english but has since become 90% slang?  I tried watching a DVD of Mad Max with the "original australian english" and couldn't understand hardly any of it.  Thankfully, there was a separate "english dub" option on the DVD.
    I'd have to say that the Australian vernacular has actually normalised against the "US version" of english, primarily as a direct result of the spreading of things like Bieberism, Reganism, and Coke advertisements. no longer do you hear the words Drongo, Bonza, or Crikey used except to advertise Cricket or on old reruns of Steve Erwin's crazy-ass show (shudder - WE all thought he was a "tinnie short of a six-pack", or if you prefer "crazy" by the way).. I will say that we have never "chucked a shrimp on the barbie" - we quite like dolls overall (even though she'd end up really unbalanced and feet in the air if she looked like that), and have no desire to cover them with seafood  :tongue:

speaking of Barbie, I did date someone who was kinda proportioned the same way in my youth, and it was as awesome as you'd think it was - but her name was Darlene... hahahahahaha.

Being Australia and surrounded by beaches we have a lot of blonde stacked ladies walking about... they can also bite the head of a taipan, and change the tyre on a ute in high heels with no issues, while talking up a blue streak!! if I'm lying may my crows be stoned!!! 

now I've got to go rewatch the original Mad Max and find out what bits were so hard for you to understand :smiley:

Though you are more than slightly incoherent, I agree with you Madam,
    a plum is a terrible thing to do to a nostril.
  • kojackkojack Posts: 5,453 Volunteer Moderator
    kzintzi said:
    I will say that we have never "chucked a shrimp on the barbie"
    Yep, it was actually a tourism advert on american tv featuring an australian comedian (Paul Hogan) doing a fake exaggerated stereotype meant to be friendly. We never had the ad campaign here.

kzintzi said:
    I'd have to say that the Australian vernacular has actually normalised against the "US version" of english, primarily as a direct result of the spreading of things like Bieberism, Reganism, and Coke advertisements.
    Not in written language, long live British spelling!
  • TC1999TC1999 Posts: 184
    Art3mis
    Humm need I remind everybody about Dick Van Dyke cockney accent in Mary Poppins. 

Also try reading the original version of wuthering heights with Josephs Yorkshire accent, wow that is hard and near impossible to read without hearing this broad Yorkshire accent in your head. 

• KevinakiKevinaki Posts: 222
    Nexus 6
    I actually logged in the Oculus Home version of Big Screen last night before I went to bed and had a good time chatting with people. It was nice seeing all the updates since I last logged in on the Steam version. I plan to stream some PS4 games this weekend on there to see how well it works. I wonder if the developers ever plan to go beyond 4 people to a room. It would be nice to have more people per room even if the others were only able to watch and chat instead of displaying their screens. 
  • Shadowmask72Shadowmask72 Posts: 3,692 Valuable Player
    I had a sesh the other day and can confirm you can share 3D content with other players in multiplayer which is cool.

System Specs: RTX 2080 ti , i9 9900K CPU, 16 GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 10 64 Bit OS.
  • Shadowmask72Shadowmask72 Posts: 3,692 Valuable Player
    New update today includes a new bedroom environment where you can lay down on the bed and look at the screen above you. Also they fixed the 3D being viewed on the main screen (previously it only worked on your own screen which you had to enlarge so everyone could view it).

System Specs: RTX 2080 ti , i9 9900K CPU, 16 GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 10 64 Bit OS.