Fix for Sensor Disconnection Issue — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Fix for Sensor Disconnection Issue

cyberealitycybereality Posts: 26,156 Oculus Staff
edited August 2016 in Support
We've just started rolling out a possible fix for the repeated sensor disconnection issue. This is a problem that could cause the sensor to disconnect while idle on certain hardware configurations. Although we had some trouble reproducing the exact problem in our lab, we have a good idea of what the core issue was and believe it may be resolved.

Some customers have already received the update, and everyone else should have it within a few hours. The update should happen automatically, but you'll have to just unplug and replug the sensor to reset its state.

I'd recommend people wait until later this evening to test and see if the fix actually resolves their issue. Either way, please report back so we can understand if the fix was a success. Thanks.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

Comments

• joelthedangerousjoelthedangerous Posts: 27
    Brain Burst
    edited August 2016
    Praise the lord oculus christ. o:) 

Edit #1: Just one question: Is there anything other included in the patch, or is this strictly for the USB disconnects?

Edit #2: I had constant USB disconnects & reconnects for 20 minutes, then i recieved the update, pressed "update" and after oculus restarted i havent heard a single usb disconnect in 5 minutes. Lets go peeps.

Edit #3: Going on 30 minutes now. Still nothing. Lets hope this continues :)
  • cyberealitycybereality Posts: 26,156 Oculus Staff
    This patch was strictly for the sensor issue, nothing else. Glad to hear this seems to fix it for you.
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
  • JusztinJusztin Posts: 19
    NerveGear
    Fingers crossed.
  • XBonezXBonez Posts: 14
    NerveGear
    What's the REV # of the update so we know if we have it or not?
  • tjadertjader Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Is this fix only for sensor disconnections or does it also fix headset disconnections?
    @XB0NEZ the new update is 1.7.0.270909
    @tjader this hotfix is specifically for the sensor issue only.
    The fix should be rolled out to everyone now. Please update the app, if it asks, and then unplug and replug your sensor. Thanks.
  • XMercXMerc Posts: 108
    Hiro Protagonist
    Ok just played for about 30 minutes with the update and SO FAR everything is good. Hopefully this is a permanent fix :). Thanks for your hard work Oculus team....I know we all appreciate it! 
  • XBonezXBonez Posts: 14
    NerveGear
    Thank you, looks like I got the update. 

What about the Microsoft wireless adapter for the bundled XBOX 360 controller?  That keeps disconnecting with error as well.  I know it's a Microsoft issue with the anniversary update. However, Oculus did bundle it with their device and it's the only way to play games if you don't have any other controller.

I would expect Oculus to work with Microsoft to get this issue resolved as well.  Is there any update on this?
    Hiro Protagonist
    Ok i'm still having the sensor disconnect issue after the update. It seems to be a little less common but it still happened twice in the last hour.
  • mbze430mbze430 Posts: 566
    Trinity
    edited August 2016
    I am sitting here looking at the oculus app for almost an hour... no update
    i7-6900k @ 4.4ghz | Kingston Hyper 64GB DDR4 @ 3000mhz | SLI Nvidia Titan Xp | ASUS Strix Gaming X99 | Samsung 950 Pro 512GB PCIe/NVMe | 3x Samsung Pro 850 512GB RAID0 | 2x Samsung Pro 850 1TB RAID1 | Corsair AX1500i | Custom Water Cooling | Thermaltake Core X5
    Hiro Protagonist
    edited August 2016
    For me it seems i'm only getting the disconnect issue in the USB 3.0 on the Inateck card. If I switch the sensor to the 2.0 onboard I do not get the disconnect issue.
  • MrPark94MrPark94 Posts: 144
    Hiro Protagonist
    I had the problems all the time.. But it totaly has go e away .. I dont now why ? It tried so many things to get the rift working.. But i am fine (for now)
    Oculus has been a bumpy road.. Not As plug and play how they Saïd it would be
  • UnFknBLievableUnFknBLievable Posts: 83
    Hiro Protagonist
    Still getting the disconnects while using my G25 wheel. It is really infuriating!

• UncleDirkUncleDirk Posts: 16
    NerveGear
    edited August 2016
    I've not received the update.
    I'm on sensor firmware 178/e9c7e04064
  • MrPark94MrPark94 Posts: 144
    Hiro Protagonist
    i\ve not recieved it as wel
    It's not the sensor firmware. Its the Oculus App Version number. Open the settings menu in the Oculus app and click the General section, then look on the bottom. Everyone should have to update by now.
  • DNACowboyDNACowboy Posts: 180
    Art3mis
    edited August 2016
    Testing

edit. this is REALLY starting to get me down, as soon as I take the Rift off for even a second I get:

Who is John Galt?
  • JusztinJusztin Posts: 19
    NerveGear
    I have Oculus App Version 1.7.0.263882 (1.7.0.270909).
    I don't get it why it is showing me 2 different? Downloaded but not updated? How to start the update if not offered automatically?
    That's the correct number. It's the second one you should be looking at.
  • nafesternafester Posts: 13
    NerveGear
    edited August 2016
    So I  had a bit of this sensor disconnect issue, albeit only after recovering my computer from sleep mode. I would fix it by restarting the OVR service. This update appears to have fixed it so recovering from sleep mode still works, however it seems to have introduced a much more serious issue. Now in basically all VR content (including Home) there are micro-stutters every minute or two. I've checked the debug tool and as best I can tell 'compositor frames dropped' appears to go up at roughly the same rate as the stutters, though it's tough to be sure.

Tried a different USB socket, no joy - plus it worked flawlessly pre-update, so feels like it shouldn't be a hardware issue.

Here's the specs should it be useful:
    Intel i7-6700k
    Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD5 TH
    16gb G.Skill DDR4-3200
    Gigabyte G1 GTX1080 (Nvidia Driver 372.54).
    Win 10 Pro 64bit with the latest Anniversary update.
    Oculus App Version 1.70.263882 (1.70.270909)

Any advice appreciated. As it stands, my rift isn't really useable as the stutters are quite uncomfortable.

NerveGear
    edited August 2016
    Thanks for the quick response - added the file to the original message.
  • tommettommet Posts: 107
    Hiro Protagonist
    Anyway to force this update?  I've not gotten it yet, but am experiencing the issue.
    Maybe try restarting your computer. Everyone should have it now.
  • UncleDirkUncleDirk Posts: 16
    NerveGear
    I've got it now. I was looking at the sensor firmware version number and did not realise it was the app instead! lol
    I will report back soon, as I've had numerous drop-outs.

I have un-plugged the sensor and re-connected as mentioned above.
    Here goes ....
  • DNACowboyDNACowboy Posts: 180
    Art3mis
    Nafester: did you by any chance update your graphics drivers yesterday? The latest NVidia drivers are causing micro stutters.

good luck
    Who is John Galt?
    NerveGear
    DNACowboy said:
    Nafester: did you by any chance update your graphics drivers yesterday? The latest NVidia drivers are causing micro stutters.

good luck
    I didn't, but I just noticed that the new drivers are available. Thanks for letting me know - I'll avoid them for the time being! The micro-stutters are quite recent (just since the Home update) so there may be something else unrelated, I still need to fiddle with various things to see if something else is the cause.
  • panuelspanuels Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    Hi,

just want to add some info to this discussion.
    I only got the disconnection error this morning, with the latest App (1.7.0.270909) .  But since august I've had all kinds of trouble with both my video card and ALL usb ports. Windows 10 reported these (see event viewer) as kernel power errors. And indeed Microsoft has recently rolled out kernel updates which were supposed to make Windows more stable (right). Since no solution worked I let Windows 10 do the  Windows 10 1607 hardware update (takes about 1,5 hour).  After that my disconnection problem (and all other USB related problems) were solved (but it also cleared my SB Omega wireless firmware).

Just saying that things might be more complex than you think and that it's a good possibility that Oculus was not at fault here.

Elpedro.
  • nroskonrosko Posts: 954
    Neo
    no disconnections yet since the update.