Damaged Core User Reviews — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Damaged Core User Reviews

Shadowmask72Shadowmask72 Posts: 3,656 Valuable Player
edited September 2016 in Games and Apps
High Voltage Software has just released Damaged Core - a new first person shooter, which you can vote on here. Please post your rating taking into consideration fun factor, value for money, overall polish and using the following criteria if you have purchased/played the game:

5 Stars - Awesome Must Buy
4 Stars - Very Good Not essential.
3 Stars - Average 
2 Stars - Below Average
1 Star  - Poor/ Avoid

System Specs: RTX 2080 ti , i9 9900K CPU, 16 GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 10 64 Bit OS.

Damaged Core User Reviews 68 votes

5 STARS
45%
vanfanelEdguytagindanalex66MeowthzbosonSpaceManInVRMelmixVirtuaJulianDanielPinchJackAttackMcDHVSHefFrozenPeaplogarnDisratoryiczerjonesScotsmanUSneocalericReckle55Sakkura 31 votes
4 STARS
25%
FlukeeckerputJohn546goldeneggarkemiffoMrAnderson96543PablitoShadowmask72Zandilelboffor[Deleted User]ntwigbelskzintziZenbanesoupsongJodernSollith 17 votes
3 STARS
22%
CoreySauveHicks613WildtPaul_BlytheUberwolfeKillCardnroskoHeVeNyjmalmstenrVRclosetrecon56Luna-NYSnowManAssasinCHIALUN-CHANGGinger_Merkin 15 votes
2 STARS
2%
WestbrockGreyhawk101 2 votes
1 STAR
4%
ramonsteppgreen40reddeath360 3 votes

Comments

• benplacebenplace Posts: 769
    Neo
    I am thinking about getting this when I get home tonight.  Can someone provide more insight into what they think of it?
  • nroskonrosko Posts: 954
    Neo
    3 STARS
    Is it better to wait for touch first?
  • xGryfterxGryfter Posts: 7
    NerveGear
    edited August 2016
    benplace said:
    I am thinking about getting this when I get home tonight.  Can someone provide more insight into what they think of it?
    Damage Core Review
     http://uploadvr.com/damaged-core-review-final/

I picked this up early this morning but thanks to the increasingly shitty Oculus store, it's download speeds and odd installation methods I have yet to play it.
  • RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 6,399 Valuable Player
    Not played this game yet but looking at the Youtube videos it looks like a game where you just kill and don't get killed. Looking forward to your comments because I don't want a game where there's no challenge.
  • Shadowmask72Shadowmask72 Posts: 3,656 Valuable Player
    4 STARS
    From the upload vr review:

Something else that makes these missions so enjoyable is the level of challenge they represent.Damaged Core is not an easy game. In fact, if you’re new to VR, or shooters in general, some levels will seem downright nasty. But each time I failed a mission I honestly felt like the fault was with me. There are no OP enemies or unfair wave configurations. If you lose in this game it’s likely because you chose the wrong bot, missed that clutch shot, or didn’t think quickly enough on your feet.

• ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 14,247 Valuable Player
    4 STARS
    I gave this 4 instead of 5, but only because I haven't played it long enough. However, wow, this game is high energy, high intensity, and a perfect blend of: twitch, judgement calls, skill, and murder

Some screenshots from my first half hour of gaming...

Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
  • blanesblanes Posts: 1,068
    3Jane
    edited August 2016
    How long is the campaign for a slow to medium playthrough ? Replayable ?
    4 STARS
    Aw c'mon, even I'm a firm believer in stroking ones own ego. I like that the dev's are active with their own product; it shows character. When I set up the Goat Mountain VR ranking web page, one of the dev's competed.

Don't be prejudice, Shadow :|
  • MelmixMelmix Posts: 80
    Hiro Protagonist
    edited August 2016
    5 STARS
    Damn I love this game. Only played around 30 minutes, but it is fast paced and the controls really work well. I was certain that the lack of "real" movement would ensure my dislike of the game, but I'm happy to say that it doesn't detract from the game at all. Instead they implemented it as a mechanic you need to time correctly on top of the fast paced shooting. I can't recommend this enough. Definately one of the best buys currently out there (along with Edge of Nowhere) :-)
    Me for the next year... :geek: VR4EVER! :lol:
  • RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 6,399 Valuable Player
    Whew - CrashFu that was a very good review.
    3Jane
    edited August 2016
    I read that you need to have a swivel chair to play seated - is that true ?  My chair is fixed in a cockpit rig so is there some option to turn using the right joystick that can be enabled ? Otherwise what other options to play aside from standing which is bit difficult in the way my gaming room / cockpit is setup.
  • FrozenPeaFrozenPea Posts: 2,535 Valuable Player
    edited August 2016
    5 STARS
    Played the game last night and was so awesome! The 'teleportation' system is really well done that it feels invisible, they turned a draw back of VR locomotion into a feature of the game. I get why some people might get put off/being very anti teleportation but when it's a feature of a game then its a different story, you don't complain when you teleport in flat games when your some kind of teleporting wizard! The premise of why you can teleport is pretty awesome, being a virus infecting other robots minds. Getting a lot of Matrix being an Agent vibe!  B)

One thing i must stress is this game must be played standing, I don't know why the developer didn't put a pop-up at the beginning recommending it, being able to quickly turn your whole body makes its a lot more believable instead of the gun being attached to your head when your seated.

To go over the difficulty mentioned by @CrashFu I would say it's most likely just the first few missions easing you in as time is still slowing me down to show some videos on my screen explaining what new robots do etc. That being said I still managed to fail a mission, ops. :D (I'll update this once I get further in the game.)

I'm enjoying finally having a fps in VR, the gun locked to your head does feel strange at first but I got used to it very quickly and kinda forgot about it, however I'd love it if this game got Touch support with decoupled arms. That being said the Dev has done the best with what they were given and they did it well.

I'm sticking with 5 stars for now as my 'very early opinion' of my first night as I haven't felt this satisfied by a purchase on OH since Chronos. I'm gonna keep playing this and if anything changes then so will my score :)
    edited August 2016
    4 STARS
    I bit the bullet and purchased the game for £22.99, interesting no one is mentioning how blurry the visuals look even the mirror screen is blurry. I'll try this with the 1.5 rendering and hope this improves it. I am playing all settings maxed. You can see how blurry the visuals are in Zenbane's screenshots and mine below.

The character below is not even that far away and yet you cannot make out much detail.  Running PPD at 1.5 causes quite a bit of judder as well and doesn't offer much improvement. To be clear this is not a review just an observation. 

edited August 2016
    4 STARS
    @blanes there is no option to turn using the thumbstick which is a shame. You can reset view with the back button though to give you more viewing range but this is not a proper use for the reset view button. Two things I dislike about the game within the first few minutes playing. 

This should be advertised as a standing/ game only as it's not very playable seated at all.

3Jane
    edited August 2016
    Thanks I was keen on it until I found this out ... might just pass for the time being.  I wonder if it would be so difficult to implement the ability to turn quickly using the right thumbstick ?  Perhaps they might patch that in for people who can only play from a fixed seated position, hopeful.  ;)

O.T. The new tables in Pinball FX2 have consumed my gaming time at the moment, totally awesome !
    edited August 2016
    4 STARS
    Upload VR are doing a grand job of being the voice of this game on reddit (being sarcastic) but at least they have posted there regarding how long the game is rather than in their review. Looking around at some other comments I am glad I'm not the only one who feels certain publications appear to be promotional tools knowingly or otherwise for game developers/publishers.

"UploadVR_JoeUploadVR 6 points 16 hours ago 

Depending on how good you are between 6-10 hours

@blanes yes a quick turn option would help greatly using LB RB buttons.

I give you all an example of how this game is unplayable seated. In the very first mission you are tasked with shooting balls in a wall to prevent more enemies spawning in but the angles at which the bots appear means you can't sit and turn enough to shoot the balls. If seated you have to wait to get lucky if an enemy moves into a position which gives you the correct angle - meanwhile your dropship is getting battered.  

It's interesting to see all over reddit from a number of people that this game is "Standing Only" really including Palmer Lucky himself. Yet not a mention of it in the review from UploadVR or the official game page. This could easily be fixed with a simply turn mechanic or right thumbstick control.

My gut feeling right now is there's a ton of enthusiasm for this game due to an overall lack of shooter content on the Rift, but having just come out of Deus Ex Mankind Divided in pseudo VR and having played Raw Data on the Vive which offers full movement, this game feels like a step backwards in some regards. I hope as I move further into the game it grabs me more.

Edit: I can confirm that this game is way better suited standing up. Even a swivel chair isn't suitable really as you can't turn as quick as standing up. So Blanes, this one isn't for you unless you can stand on the spot and use an Xbox One controller.

• DisratoryDisratory Posts: 20
    NerveGear
    5 STARS
    Zenbane said:
    xGryfter said:
    I picked this up early this morning but thanks to the increasingly shitty Oculus store, it's download speeds and odd installation methods I have yet to play it.
    Oculus Store is immersive and easily tops the Steam VR store, the installation method is a single button click, and I was able to download the 13gig game files in less than 30 minutes over WiFi. What the hell are you possibly doing over there? Dial-up and lazer pointer?
    Downloads are slower in the oculus home, not sure why. my download speeds are around 230 mbps and i get about 27MB/s when downloading from steam. Oculus home is a bit slower and a bit jumpy.
  • TjckTockTjckTock Posts: 17
    NerveGear

This should be advertised as a standing/ game only as it's not very playable seated at all.
    I had no problems playing seated in a swivel chair.
  • ChazmeisterChazmeister Posts: 535
    Neo
    Hmmm, think I'll stick to Quake VR for now to get my FPS kicks. In that I can move freely and look independently of where I'm pointing my gun, and of course it's an FPS classic.
    4 STARS
    TjckTock said:

I had no problems playing seated in a swivel chair.
    Yeh but I bet you can't swivel as fast as I can turn my head.

• ScotsmanUSScotsmanUS Posts: 20
    Brain Burst
    5 STARS

Woow, just woow ....   this and Elite: Dangerous are why I bought a Rift !

Buy It, simple as that.

ScotsmanUS

edited August 2016
    4 STARS
    There's some tactics involved but I wouldn't put it in the same league as chess. It's a duck shoot where you prioritize targets and constantly move as your host gets shot at once you open up against your own robots. You can take over turrets and other friendly vehicles too but so far the idea seems to be defend X object from waves of enemies. I like the teleport action to be fair, and the shooting with gaze is also very accurate and fast to acquire targets which is nice.

I can see the game getting a bit repetitive if it doesn't change up the combat where it's defend this and that but so far you're being introduced to all the different units and their abilities which in turn makes your choices of who to target more "tactical". 

It's a good game but I'm still disappointed with the overall level of blurriness compared to other games. Hopefully they can improve with updates what they have here.

• EliteSPAEliteSPA Posts: 1,560
    Project 2501
    When touch releases I will review this game but for now nope, never played fps games with gamepad, just mouse and keyboard.
    i7 6700K @ 4.2 GHz | Corsair 16GB DDR4 PC2300 | GTX 1080 Ti | Asus z170-Pro | Corsair RGB Strafe Keyboard | Logitech G27 | Oculus CV1 + Touch + 4 Sensors | Win 10 64 bit | Acer Predator x34 @ 100Hz
  • GreymanGreyman Posts: 1,310
    Wintermute
    edited August 2016
    Disratory said:
    Zenbane said:
    xGryfter said:
    Oculus Store is immersive and easily tops the Steam VR store, the installation method is a single button click, and I was able to download the 13gig game files in less than 30 minutes over WiFi. What the hell are you possibly doing over there? Dial-up and lazer pointer?
    Downloads are slower in the oculus home, not sure why. my download speeds are around 230 mbps and i get about 27MB/s when downloading from steam. Oculus home is a bit slower and a bit jumpy.
    You probably already know, but I thought I'd check that you do know that 27MB/s (mega bytes per second) is actually 8*27mbps (mega bits per second). In other words, you are actually getting 216mbps, which isn't too far off the 230mbps you stated for your connection.

i'm really sorry to be a smart arse, but it might make you feel a little better about your connection

Edit - please forgive me.  I've just re-read your post and it would appear that I'm not such a smart arse.  Reading skills need work apparently. ;(
  • Gwiz84Gwiz84 Posts: 292
    Nexus 6
    Honestly if you can't be content with a d/l speed of 27mbps then you are simply too spoiled.
    edited August 2016
    4 STARS
    Quote RoadtoVR review

"Needless to say, I kept my head (and my chair) on a swivel as I desperately searched for another available host to possess as your vision is slowly obscured over time to signal a fatal error in your hardware—the alternative being one of two options: death, or invariably retreating to one of the game’s many ‘safe zones’, a type of invisible camera drone whose high vantage points also make in-game navigation easier. Because of this, Damaged Core feels closer to the sort of frenetic first person shooters you see on PC and console."

No, it doesn't, not even close. Damaged Core does not feel like a "traditional first person shooter" because of the fact you're rooted to the spot each time you teleport unable to perform any action other than shoot. I can't think of any first person shooter I've played from the original Doom, Duke Nukems,  Halos or Call of Dutys where I've stood in full view grounded to the spot like being stuck by glue and eaten bullets whilst shooting back at the enemy. It's the de-facto no no in any traditional FPS ever created where you're encouraged to move whilst keeping the crosshairs on your target (with the exception of Rainbow SiX games which are slower paced tactical affairs - but even then it's reccomended to use cover, duck or go prone). Trying to pigeon hole terms from regular 2D games to sell this one is a massive mistake in my view and somewhat misleading and RoadtoVR seem intent on making these comparisons which is natural I guess but doesn't make it right.

Damaged Core is it's own design, own style of game suited specifically for VR to primarily prevent motion sickness.  It works well for what it is, but make no mistake it's nothing like a "traditional first person shooter" because you're not exploring, you're being herded to move around set points within linear zones . There's no element of moving through locations at your own leisure going where you want to - the level design doesn't inspire you or want you to either as that's not the focus. The gunplay is far from regular FPS where you duck, jump, dodge or take cover during firefights, instead you shoot first, then hotswap to another host - the gameplay revolves around how well you move around like this whilst taking out the opposition. These traditional movement elements like ducking, taking cover etc. are absent completely and yet these features are what make traditional FPS games so how the comparison is drawn is beyond me. I think people need to stop with this relating to 2D games. It has always been maintained that VR needs to think outside the box to overcome its hurdles and this form of teleportation is just one way to get around some of them even if it's not ideal for all players.

There was a game called Battlefield 2 Modern Combat from 2005 which had a similar teleport/hotswap feature but this offered full autonomy over the host. The two games couldn't be further apart despite sharing some similarities.

The only similarity between this game and other 2D FPS is when you have a scripted section  (see any Call Of Duty game) where you take control of a turret in a broken vehicle, and shoot whilst holding out as the enemy flank your position. 

edited August 2016
    4 STARS
    @Shadowmask72

You must play FPS games different than a lot of folks. I played BattleField religiously for 2 years and rooting myself with a sniper rifle or explosive pack was all too common. Yes I get it, before you get rooted in a standard FPS game you are able to freely run to your spot. And other players like to hop around as tactic; however, those are the easy kills.

Maybe a game like Halo has less rooting due to the nature of the game (running around maps looking for goodies). In the end though, all FPS games are different and Damaged Core is no exception. You already came in to this with a preconceived notion that due to the teleport system the game isn't going to qualify as a standard/traditional FPS in your eyes. Well good for you. It's your opinion and not everyone will agree.

Personally I think you're dead wrong, because when I'm using all the different weapons available in Damaged Core, and I am able to perform full 360-degree movement at high speeds... I not only feel like I'm playing a traditional FPS, but I feel like I just reached a whole new level of combat. You are far too caught up in a players ability to run and jump, even though none of that causes the enemy to die.

I think that these User Review threads you create are a great addition to the forum; but you shouldn't let it go to your head and think that being the author of these posts somehow makes your opinion count more than anyone else. You're opinion is usually fun to read, but this time you're wrong, imo.