New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Breakthrough For Many Issues: 'UserModePowerService'

DNACowboyDNACowboy Posts: 180
Art3mis
edited September 2016 in Support
Remember our friend '[DisplayManager] Failed to set power mode on NVidia adapter. -175
' ??

If users check Windows Event Viewer and select 'Windows Logs/System' they will discover numerous messages referring to 'Process C:\Program Files\Oculus\Support\oculus-runtime\OVRServer_x64.exe (process ID:3556) reset policy scheme from {*****************************} to {******************************}

This is a deliberate decision by the developers in how OR configures the power for the headset, essentially, a combination of Windows and the hmd are constantly resetting the power policy to protect the life of the lens and save energy, unfortunately for us this causes many of the 'driving me crazy' disconnection issues. Now, Windows should not constantly be resetting power policy in reference to any device but (under instruction from the OR software) the OS does esp in Windows 7, 8 and 10, when that happens you can guarantee HDMI or Sensor disconnects.

So, with this in mind what we are going to do is force Windows to set one power policy and keep it, thereby preventing the vast majority of 'HDMI and usb sensor disconnects'

Go into your Windows power option settings and select 'High Performance', then 'advanced' and look for the USB settings, change 'Sleep mode' from enabled to Never.
2: In the Run Box bar type 'cmd', a window will appear, in that window type: POWERCFG -LIST
If you look you will see the different power plans listed and the one you just set called 'high performance'  with an asterisk next to it (indicating that this power plan is active) right click and copy the GUID (that series of numbers associated with the high performance setting) ) line, open notepad and paste, then save it somewhere on your desktop. 

Use-Specific-Power-Plan

3:  In the run box type: gpedit.msc, this opens the Local Group Policy Editor which will force windows to keep the performance plan that the Rift MUST have i order to work correctly.

Prevent Store Apps From Pinning To Start Screen When Installed Enable disable Load Sites And Content In The Background policy in Internet Explorer 11

In the left pane, navigate here:

Computer Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> System -> Power Management

Specify a custom active power plan

4. In the right pane of the window shown above, double click Specify a custom active power plansetting which is Not Configured by default to get this:

Use-Specific-Power-Plan-2

5. In the above shown window, firstly click Enabled and then in the Options section, input the Custom Active Power Plan (GUID) as we copied from step 1. Click Apply followed by OK. You may close the Local Group Policy Editor now. 

6: When you go back into Power Options you should see this:

Finally, if you go back into Event Viewer and select 'Windows Logs/System' you should see:

See the top one?

(Also, note underneath the top one you can see OR Home is resetting the power policy every three seconds, no wonder people are getting hdmi and sensor disconnects!)

After this, you should never see a single error associated with 'UserModePowerService'

Source:

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/specify-custom-active-power-plan-windows

edit. Asmedia have released a new usb driver in the lsat couple of weeks, I installed them and the problem remains if you allow Windows OS and Oculus software to constantly reset the power policy. I recommend the above policy to force Oculus Home to stop resetting and causing disconnects.

Who is John Galt?

Comments

• cyberealitycybereality Posts: 26,156 Oculus Staff
    OK, let me share this information with the team.
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
  • UnFknBLievableUnFknBLievable Posts: 83
    Hiro Protagonist
    In windows 10 Home, Local group policy editor is not accessible unless you have windows 10 pro.

I see in my event viewer, I am having the same errors as noted in the above screenshots.

• DNACowboyDNACowboy Posts: 180
    Art3mis
    edited August 2016
    In windows 10 Home, Local group policy editor is not accessible unless you have windows 10 pro.

I see in my event viewer, I am having the same errors as noted in the above screenshots.

Here you go, how to enable GPE in Windows 10 Home:

https://www.itechtics.com/enable-gpedit-windows-10-home/

Who is John Galt?
  • TC1999TC1999 Posts: 184
    Art3mis
    great work will try this tonight and give some feedback on it. 
    Hiro Protagonist
    I did find that soon after, but following your guide, the power management folder doesn't exist and therefor could not set the policy. My power setting is already at max performance.

Art3mis
    edited August 2016
    I did find that soon after, but following your guide, the power management folder doesn't exist and therefor could not set the policy. My power setting is already at max performance.

Yes, but problem isn't 'max performance', rather, OR Home is resetting the power setting policy every few seconds. :(  I understand Oculus want to extend the life of the lens but at this point functionality is what the end-user requires.
    Who is John Galt?
    @DNACowboy Can you please upload the log files so we can take a look?
  • andrinosandrinos Posts: 12
    NerveGear
    @DNACowboy going to try this tonight! Thanks!!
    Hiro Protagonist
    There is a USB power setting under advanced power settings which I also have disabled for power performance.
    Art3mis
    edited August 2016
    @DNACowboy Can you please upload the log files so we can take a look?
    sure, here you go:

Oculus_Logs_20160830_082132 is after I removed the power plan which produced numerous hdmi and sensor disconnects.

Oculus_Logs_20160828_112632 is with the customized power plan in place 

notice at: 28/08 00:32:42.312  when I turned off customised power plan: {!ERROR!} [Kernel:Default] [DisplayManager]  Failed to set power mode on NVidia adapter. -175

and then again at 28/08 00:32:47.296 {!ERROR!} [Kernel:Default] [DisplayManager] Failed to set power mode on NVidia adapter. -175.

If I had left off my customized power plan a very long list of hardware and other errors start creeping in.

Without a doubt, the constant power resetting of the hmd is the root cause of many support issues.

Who is John Galt?
    OK, thanks.
  • vrmowervrmower Posts: 181
    Art3mis
    DNACowboy said:
    the OS does esp in Windows 7, 8 and 10, when that happens you can guarantee HDMI or Sensor disconnects.

Was unable to reproduce this.

I covered the occupancy sensor and after noting the following:

31/08 15:49:40.330 {INFO}    [Kernel:Default] [DisplayManager] Completed enabling high performance power scheme successfully.

Changed power setting to "power savings" which includes USB selective suspend, LSPM and CPU throttling.

No disconnects or any noticeable effect of any kind.  I toggled back and forth between various plans many times while HMD was active and nothing.
    NerveGear
    @DNACowboy just tried it and I'm back in business. Thank you! I'll keep this thread posted if I lose the connection again. 
    NerveGear
    Forgot to note that the power profile got it working with a DisplayPort adapter. Just tried HDMI and it is not working.
    Hey DNA, can you let me know your system specs? Specifically I'd be interested in your motherboard model number. Thanks.
    Art3mis
    edited September 2016
    Hey DNA, can you let me know your system specs? Specifically I'd be interested in your motherboard model number. Thanks.
    Asus X99A (dreaded Asmedia USB controller)
    Gainward 1080 Founders Ed
    32gb Ripjaw DDR4 memory 

I've appended my entire system specs and you can grab them at the bottom of the post.

Btw, Cyber, I contacted Asmedia about their USB controller in relation to the rift and a chap called Alex Chen from their HO is going to respond in the next few days.
    For now, I've disabled my Asmedia USB controller and that resolves many of the issues but not the disconnections when removing the HMD, for that I carried out the above solution.

vrmower said:
    DNACowboy said:
    the OS does esp in Windows 7, 8 and 10, when that happens you can guarantee HDMI or Sensor disconnects.

Was unable to reproduce this.

I covered the occupancy sensor and after noting the following:

31/08 15:49:40.330 {INFO}    [Kernel:Default] [DisplayManager] Completed enabling high performance power scheme successfully.

Changed power setting to "power savings" which includes USB selective suspend, LSPM and CPU throttling.

No disconnects or any noticeable effect of any kind.  I toggled back and forth between various plans many times while HMD was active and nothing.
    Now this is really, really interesting, would you please post your hardware details here inc OS and what your USB solution is ?
    if we can find what the difference is we may be able to pin down and resolve this once and for all.

------------------—-------------------------

andrinos said:
    @DNACowboy just tried it and I'm back in business. Thank you! I'll keep this thread posted if I lose the connection.

Excellent news! 
    Is there any chance you could also post your system specs as well?
    Who is John Galt?
    Hiro Protagonist
    is that a suggestion to use "Power saver" instead of "High Performance" ?

Art3mis
    edited September 2016
    is that a suggestion to use "Power saver" instead of "High Performance" ?

No, not at all, max performance seems to be the most reliable power policy

the power management folder doesn't exist and therefor could not set the policy. 

Are you referring to Event Viewer/windows logs/system 'folder' ??

Who is John Galt?
    Hiro Protagonist
    Running win 10 home, I had to install group policy editor myself. Following the above steps, the power management folder doesn't exist in GP editer
    NerveGear
    @DNACowboy  So sad... it stopped working yesterday in a middle of a Virtual Desktop session. Hasn't come back. My specs are below:

CPU: Intel Core i5 4670K (3.4Ghz)
    RAM: DDR8GB
    MB: MSI Z87-G45 (Bios v1.9)
    HD: SSD Samsung 840 500GB
    Video: Nvidia 372.54 - (Bios 86.04.1e.00.01)
    USB: MB Integrated 3.0 (eXtensible Host Controller v. 10.0.10586.212)

About to give up...

Art3mis
    edited September 2016
    andrinos said:
    @DNACowboy  So sad... it stopped working yesterday in a middle of a Virtual Desktop session. Hasn't come back. My specs are below:

CPU: Intel Core i5 4670K (3.4Ghz)
    RAM: DDR8GB
    MB: MSI Z87-G45 (Bios v1.9)
    HD: SSD Samsung 840 500GB
    Video: Nvidia 372.54 - (Bios 86.04.1e.00.01)
    USB: MB Integrated 3.0 (eXtensible Host Controller v. 10.0.10586.212)

About to give up...

Your video solution is onboard, not a dedicated video card? Okay, the very first thing you need to do is pick up a dedicated gfx card.
    Who is John Galt?
    NerveGear
    @DNACowboy apologies... thought I wrote it in... I have a GTX 1070
  • VonTornefeldVonTornefeld Posts: 30
    Brain Burst
    Hi, i tried this fix because i am getting the sensor disconnection issues. It does not change nothing apparently, and i still have problems.
  • XMercXMerc Posts: 108
    Hiro Protagonist
    Tried this, did not work for me.
    Art3mis
    @VonTornefield
    @Xmerc

Guys, can you both go into event viewer, see 'summary of administrative events'? In that box you'l see 'errors', click the '+' symbol and it will will open up, double click 'OculusVR'.
    Now, please highlight each entry and report the first half a dozen here.

thanks.

Who is John Galt?
    Hiro Protagonist
    I'll do it this evening when i'm home. Thanks.
    Hiro Protagonist
    Here is a list of errors from my event viewer on OculusVR. Hope some of that helps in some way.

02/09 17:04:16.534 {!ERROR!} [SimpleHttpRequest]
    Request LibraryManager Update Request FAILED: 6: Could not resolve host: graph.oculus.com

02/09 17:04:16.534 {!ERROR!} [SimpleHttpRequest]
    Request GateKeeperCheck FAILED: 6: Could not resolve host: graph.oculus.com

02/09 17:04:16.534 {!ERROR!} [NetworkRequest]
    Download failed: 6: Could not resolve host: graph.oculus.com

02/09 17:04:09.742 {!ERROR!} [Kernel:Error]
    Failed to get string descriptor from hub.  Error: 31

01/09 17:43:33.169 {!ERROR!} [LifeCycle]
    Transitions Timeout

01/09 17:43:32.471 {!ERROR!} [Kernel:Default]
    [DisplayManager] Failed to set power mode on NVidia adapter. -175

01/09 17:42:01.523 {!ERROR!} [Kernel:Error]
    Camera frame truncated

01/09 17:41:49.070 {!ERROR!} [DML:CameraImpl]
    WMTD302K400PAK: Breaking out of capture loop due to catastrophic error. OVR Error:
      Code: -8020 -- ovrError_HALNordicSyncNoFrames
      Description: Sync pulses sent but no frames received
      OVRTime: 1504.894111
      Time: 2016-09-01 17:41:49 [69:117:800]

01/09 17:41:49.068 {!ERROR!} [Kernel:Error]
    Sync pulses sent but no frames received

01/09 17:31:32.334 {!ERROR!} [OAF ERROR]
    ..\..\..\AppTracker\AppTracker.cpp(134) : Unexpected exit (1971039)

A Kernal-PnP error (event ID 255, task catagory 223)
    The application \Device\HarddiskVolume1\Oculus\Support\oculus-runtime\OVRServer_x64.exe with process id 6148 stopped the removal or ejection for the device USB\ASMEDIAROOT_Hub\5&1b46e37c&0&0.

and

The application \Device\HarddiskVolume1\Oculus\Support\oculus-runtime\OVRServer_x64.exe with process id 6148 stopped the removal or ejection for the device PCI\VEN_1B21&DEV_1242&SUBSYS_86751043&REV_00\4&27259a83&0&00E0.

Hiro Protagonist
    DNACowboy said:
    @VonTornefield
    @Xmerc

Guys, can you both go into event viewer, see 'summary of administrative events'? In that box you'l see 'errors', click the '+' symbol and it will will open up, double click 'OculusVR'.
    Now, please highlight each entry and report the first half a dozen here.

thanks.

Here is my recent log from event viewer:
    The description for Event ID 0 from source OculusVR cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event: 

02/09 17:18:26.615 {!ERROR!} [Kernel:Error] 
    Camera frame truncated

The description for Event ID 0 from source OculusVR cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

02/09 17:12:20.458 {!ERROR!} [LifeCycle] 
    Transitions Timeout

02/09 17:12:16.903 {!ERROR!} [HAL:CommOcusbvid] 
    WMTD302R6005SU: CancelIoAndWaitForRequestCompletions: Failed to wait for all requests to complete.  Attempting to shutdown anyway.  Wait result: 0xffffffff, Last Error: 0x57

02/09 17:12:16.857 {!ERROR!} [DML:CameraImpl] 
    WMTD302R6005SU: Breaking out of capture loop due to catastrophic error. OVR Error:
      Code: -8020 -- ovrError_HALNordicSyncNoFrames
      Description: Sync pulses sent but no frames received
      OVRTime: 579.863217
      Time: 2016-09-02 17:12:16 [856:812:400]

02/09 17:12:16.856 {!ERROR!} [Kernel:Error] 
    Sync pulses sent but no frames received

02/09 17:12:15.653 {!ERROR!} [Kernel:Error] 
    Camera frame truncated

02/09 17:11:02.308 {!ERROR!} [Kernel:Error] 
    Camera frame truncated

02/09 17:10:54.361 {!ERROR!} [Kernel:Error] 
    Camera frame truncated

02/09 17:10:21.720 {!ERROR!} [Kernel:Error] 
    Camera frame truncated

Hiro Protagonist
    Something interesting i've noticed. Depending on what software i'm running I get the issue MUCH more common. For example...in Big Screen if i'm not in a multiplayer room I rarely get any camera errors in event viewer...but as soon as I join a multiplayer room it starts giving me the "Camera Frame Truncated" error and eventually losing connection every 1-2 minutes. If I play Lucky's tale I only get the error maybe once every 5 minutes and it maybe only loses connection every 15 minutes. So the software that is running makes a huge difference in the frequency of the camera disconnects.