cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any suggestions to make CV1 comfortable to wear?

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
I have had the CV1 for some months now and I have to say I find it very uncomfortable to wear. I was even thinking about getting a mask to wear underneath it to act like a face plate. I find the CV1 digs into my skin no-matter how slack it is around my face. It also tends to hurt after a while because it tends to sag down if I loosen it to much. Does anyone know if some type of mask underneath would make a difference? 
29 REPLIES 29

TC1999
Adventurer
Yep have the same problem. 

If the rear of the rift was a bit heavier it would sit more comfortable and not need to be so tight on the forehead. 

I've tried a headband but it was to thick so going to try a thinner one. I think the best way to solve the issues is to some how add weight to the rear and have a thin head band for extra padding on so all the pressure is on the forehead and not on the face.

I really do hope that oculus take a good look at how PSVR have used a halo head unit as everybody has said by far it's the most comfortable to wear. 

Also what I feel adds to the issue is having the tilt the unit to find the right focus, why oh why did they not just have a focus wheel this would have solved issues with comfort fit and wearing glasses. 

Having the main unit as part of the fitting process and not just the viewing process is a mistake. PSVR have got it right where the main unit is not used to make it fit to your face you just adjust it to find the correct view and the fitting is all done by the halo band around the head. 

It was the 1st thing I noticed about the rift if you have a relatively small to average head and not a large occipital bone you do need to have it fitted tightly to the forehead so it does not slip down. 

Not bitching I still love my rift, just want it to be better. 

Anonymous
Not applicable
I find its best to undo all the straps, then tighten the top strap first so it's the right height while holding the back on the head-strap to cradle the back of your skull. Once you've done this then tighten up the side straps together so the rift is only just touching your face and everything looks clear and in focus. You can then also tilt the headset up and down to finalise it. I don't get any of the pain you mentioned, but everyone's head shapes are different!

Have you tried a VR cover? That could add some extra padding between the foam and your face.

HiThere_
Superstar
First time I heard someone complain the CV1 is too big : The usual complaint is that it's too small (for big heads and for ordinary glasses), and should have at least been delivered with a wider faceplate. Maybe CV2 will come with an adjustable faceplate (not that hard to do...).

Getting the top strap just right then setting the two side straps loose (not tight) and then getting the focus right by twisting the front of the headset up/down a bit is the right advice : If that's not working maybe your head really is too small. Let someone else try it out to see what they think about it.

Also the VR Cover is unfortunately a fail (I have one) : Don't buy that, wait for something similar but better designed to show up.

pjenness
Rising Star
Agreed, pass on the VR cover. it is not as good as the DK2 one they made.

Like Frozen Pea mentions, undo the straps so loose, and get that support piece behind the base of your skull, so the weight is placed there, then adjust the straps. It should almost feel weightless.

-P

Drift VFX Visual, Virtual , Vertical Want 970GTX on Macbook for good FPS? https://forums.oculus.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=17349

YoLolo69
Trustee

FrozenPea said:

I find its best to undo all the straps, then tighten the top strap first so it's the right height while holding the back on the head-strap to cradle the back of your skull. Once you've done this then tighten up the side straps together so the rift is only just touching your face and everything looks clear and in focus. You can then also tilt the headset up and down to finalise it. I don't get any of the pain you mentioned, but everyone's head shapes are different!

Have you tried a VR cover? That could add some extra padding between the foam and your face.

This process above, this is what I do, and it fit perfectly, no pain during hours, no pressure, perfect. I could forget it if temperature wasn't so hot here. The back need to go really lower behind head and equilibrium is fine even with no side straps. My only concerns is with my glasses which have no frames and slightly too large, so I need to be extra careful when I put or remove the device to not break them.

“Dreams feel real while we are in them, it's only when we wake up that we realize something was strange.” - Dom Cobb

"Be careful, if you are killed in real life you die in VR too." - TD_4242

I7 10700K,  RTX 3070, 32GB DDR4 3200Mhz, Oculus Rift CV1

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
@TC1999 - You sir are a genius. I just tied a 400g weight to the back of my CV1 to test your theory and it takes all the weight off my face and feels much better. Now I'm just thinking of a way to find something that weights 400g that I can attach to the back of the headset better. I think I need a few weights to test though to get it just right. I'll be back if I find something suitable, but if you find anything do let me know here.

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
Just bought some wrist weights that I'm going to Velcro to the back of the headset. Each weights 450g so I'll just try using one at first.

TC1999
Adventurer
Yep once I have time going to try the same. Just need to avoid covering up the rear led's for tracking.

If it works for you let me know what you used and where you attached the weights.

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
Oh, I forgot about the rear leds. Where are they placed on the back of the headset? Are they in the triangle part on the back?