cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VorpX - taking the piddle

JohnnyDioxin
Expert Trustee
I bought VorpX several months ago - long before I received my Rift. Now I wish to post in the forums, as I'm having problems and what do I get?

Don't remember my pw, so I click the link to reset it - I receive the reset email, but every time I use the link included to reset my pw, it opens a window saying the link isn't valid.

So, I go and register with a different email address and it gives me a password. I go to log in and guess what? Yup - password is supposedly incorrect (I copied and pasted it as it is a long jumble of various characters, as it should be, and I didn't want to make a mistake). It gives you 4 attempts - I'm down to two.

This is taking the piss and I now am beginning to regret buying it. It ain't cheap by any stretch, and I'm fine with fiddling with files etc, but this forum access lark is a load of bollocks, to put it in a nutshell. Most of the info I find there is two years old in any case, and refers to long out of date software and DKs.

Ralf, get your friggin' act together - it isn't acceptable. The so-called forum that is just a Wordpress message board is slow as hell as well. It isn't doing you any favours - especially when people looking to buy start looking for opinions, regardless of whether it will work or not.

EDIT: One of the password reset links worked after I had gone back to try again - so I try and log in with the new password and got locked out. Figures...

i5 9600k @4.5GHz; 16GB DDR4 3200; 6xSSD; RTX2080ti; Gigabyte Z390D Mobo
Rift CV1; Index; Quest; Quest 2
16 REPLIES 16

Shadowmask72
Honored Visionary
I hear you, it is fiddly and seems to be reliant on just one individual to sort it out. In my experience Ralf has been quick to respond with my requests but it might be an issue of time difference for some people. I think the problem is Ralf wants to protect his content from pirates or people sharing the program hence this seemingly convoluted process. Even Tridef has a similar online validation check.  All I can suggest is message Ralf and explain the issue perhaps you're doing something wrong as if I recall correctly there are two activation codes that need inputting.  

All that said, I've never properly managed to get it to work and feels just too fiddly for my tastes (I recently tried No Man's Sky). The 3D theatre is good though - when it works.

System Specs: MSI NVIDIA RTX 4090 , i5 13700K CPU, 32GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 11 64 Bit OS.

JohnnyDioxin
Expert Trustee
Well I found  a post by Ralf who has said that the game concerned (Far Cry 3) has a known problem that is causing issues. Apparently, it's just pot luck if it will work on any particular occasion, or not. Mine is only getting as far as the loading screen (in the Rift) and then freezing up, whilst it continues just fine on the monitor.

Given this (Ralf's comments), I think it's very cheeky to put it on the list of 'supported' games on the VorpX website. Especially in my case, as it's the main reason I bought VorpX. It should say "supported - works if you're lucky". I spent over a year playing Far Cry 3 pretty much every day, and it's not my normal sort of game. Playing it in VR would be amazing, even with some hiccups.

At least I have Doom 3 and Quake working well in VR - without VorpX! 😛

ps: bugger me! I just managed to get logged into the forum!

Stryker1000
Heroic Explorer

i just bloody gave up on VorpX  worst bloody £30 I spent period .... just getting the damn thing registered is enough to make a saint swear !

Ill wait till someone comes up with an alternative to it !

nrosko
Superstar
Its buggy as hell & i've had to reinstall the thing 3 times.

mckracken
Explorer
had no problem registering.
works good for a lot of games. (especially over the shoulder 3rd person stuff)

Pablito
Heroic Explorer
I was playing with vorpx and Alien Isolation in the runtime 0.8 days, and after almost a full hour I managed to get that game to almost perfect native VR quality.  The only difference was no positional tracking, only head tracking.  I TOTALLY removed the fish-eye effect by hunting down two different types of FOV settings in the config. file.  I used the Z-buffer option and set all the tweeking values to 0(or whatever the default null value was) and one at a time, I scrutinized every setting until it was there!  The real secret was altering the four different FOV presets in the config. file, then going into the games graphics settings at the title screen and choosing which of the four custom FOV presets was best for the vorpx config.  Finding the exact FOV value that would blend precisely with vorpx was the whole thing basically.  The preset value in the config. file was set to 81.  Vorpx was set to something like 23 I think.  The four presets were found in one of the two types of FOV settings.  I can't remember what exactly the other FOV setting was for.  I might have done nothing.  In the end, it was so precise, it no longer mattered that there was no positional tracking. The scale of the ship was exact to my body height and, as a result turned out to be my first standing VR experience.  That was the DK2.  I haven't tried on my CV1 yet. 

n3cr0-0
Adventurer
Yeah I have done the same to alot of the titles they listed my favorite is still 'The darkness 2' in the end from my experience vorpx was worth every penny. (but I also do not experience cybersickness at all)

running CV1

centvrionIV
Protege
If Vorpx did not exist we would have no decent fps games to play in VR.

JohnnyDioxin
Expert Trustee
Well, I've tried it a lot more since the first post and....

had no joy whatsoever! I mainly bought it for Far Cry 3 and Rage. I can't get FC3 to start, despite fiddling as much as I can with configs, and it still just gets to the loading screen in the Rift, then freezes, whilst the game actually continues on just fine on the monitor. Ralf responded to me in their forum with the same as I said in the first post - it's a problem, but he hopes to sort it in the next update (which will be who knows when?).

Apart from that, I've tried rFactor, which CTDs as soon as I run it, with the error shown as the SteamPlugin.dll

Half Life 2 - get a blank screen, but can hear the game going ahead in the headphones. Need to Ctrl-Alt_del to get out of that. Also tried fiddling with settings for these games. Also applied the VorpX adjustments and tried launching all with a VorpX shortcut.

rFactor 2 - start to the GUI on my monitor ("Waiting for rFactor2.exe" in the Rift) and when I click to start driving, it crashes.

ArmA 2 and OA I just get a black screen - but again, it seems to be running, I'm just not seeing anything.

I'm wondering if running these games in windowed mode will help. To be honest I'm getting well fed up - especially considering the cost. All things considered, it is way too high. The impression I get is that everything worked well with the DKs but is a PITA with the CV1. Maybe that's why the VorpX forum has so little going on concerning the CV1 now.

A trial, such as that offered by TriDef would have been the best option - but then I suspect that the VorpX website may well be considered either fraudulent or at a minimum unacceptable advertising in the UK. Why? Because it has a huge list of games that it's claimed are "supported" which in fact take a lot of fanny-farting around to get to work at all, if they will work at all. He gets the money and there is little chance of getting it back.

I don't usually get so pissed off about things like this I've purchased, but in this case I feel I have been robbed, because of the price/return quota. I was prepared to fiddle - even a lot, but I expect at least one game to work as advertised and so far I've found none.
I have about another 8 or so games on this supported list - but I'm running out of patience, wasting so much time for no result.

Oh - in the meantime I'm enjoying Quake and Doom 3 in VR at no extra cost to myself at all!