cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will Oculus Touch work without the rift?

Kalec84
Heroic Explorer
I have a friend with the DK2 and i was thinking, will DK2 (or even other device like the vive) owners be able to use the touch without having the rift?
Until now i thought it was possible since it will (supposedly) have its own sensor... but maybe i'm wrong...
Any info?
7 REPLIES 7

Anonymous
Not applicable
Nope they won't work, they communicate wirelessly with the HMD(same as the Vive controllers) so there won't be a way to use them with the DK2 or another device. 

It will come with a second sensor to improve tracking, but its the same camera that came with the rift.

Kalec84
Heroic Explorer
sad 😞
still good to know 🙂

SliderOverride
Explorer
But what if i have a Rift CV1 and the Touch Controlers,
is it possible to use it like a gamepad outside of VR on a non VR Game ?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Well I don't really see why you'd want to do that when you got a free Xbox controller with your CV1? 😛

SliderOverride
Explorer
becaue the Touch Controllers are two and it feels for me more pleasant in my hand.

Thinking also about a project like Controlling my PC (non VR) like vive in Big Screen. But not sure if i can use the Touch Controllers and the position tracing with out the Rift CV1 (have it connected but not on my head),

Zandil
Rising Star

Might be possible but you would need to keep the Rift active by keeping the sensor covered, and then this means your are running 3 screens so you will need to still keep the monitor res low to keep a decent FPS.

HiThere_
Superstar
I've been using wired Razor Hydra controllers to play HTC Vive games on Steam, and they worked out great, no less. With the main limitation from the wires being that you can't turn more then 180° on each side, and even then I got used to getting around that. For a front facing experience you might not even notice they're wired, except for the fact you don't have to recharge them, don't require two or more 80$ cameras to be tracked, and don't suffer from optical occlusion issues.

They're a bit wobbly and their latency is around 50ms, but have worked out fine and at the 50$ I purchased them new from a shop, I wish every DK2 and CV1 had been bundled with one, allowing to skip the whole gamepad delay and making the wireless Touch an expensive high end option to a cheap wired version that perform no worse then a pair of Move controllers.

Unfortunately their production stopped years ago and they mostly stopped selling (except for a last few being sold at ridiculous prices, up to twelve times the ~50$ I paid for mine 4 years ago), but if you can find yourself a cheap pair of second hand ones, those ones would work with the DK2, if only on Steam (but probably not on the Oculus store), and are also designed to work on their own with non VR games.

Again, I wish the CV1 had been bundled with a pair of these (that are designed to emulate a mouse, a gamepad, or a pair of 6D hands), instead of being bundled with a 2D gamepad.