cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is an equivalent processor that is compatible with my PC?

Firebug160
Honored Guest
I have a CyberpowerPC and an AMD processor that is not up to the requirements the oculus proposes. I recently bought the recommended Intel processor and it wasn't compatible with my PC (the AMD one has protruding pins while the Intel one simply has contacts, hence the problem). Is there and what is a processor that I can buy that can handle the rift and is compatible with my PC?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Denspion
Protege
I have an AMD FX 8350 which was tested and put on a list of compatible CPUs though the rift tells me everytime that my PC doesn't meet requirements only because their database only contains a select fewer newer model i5 and i7 CPUs.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

TwoHedWlf
Expert Trustee
You'll need to replace your motherboard too.

Denspion
Protege
I have an AMD FX 8350 which was tested and put on a list of compatible CPUs though the rift tells me everytime that my PC doesn't meet requirements only because their database only contains a select fewer newer model i5 and i7 CPUs.

cybereality
Grand Champion
If you're trying to put an Intel CPU in an AMD motherboard, you're probably not going to get far building or modding a PC yourself. I'd suggest just buying an Oculus Ready PC.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

Denspion
Protege
you can't put an intel CPU in an AMD motherboard, the socket type is different., you could go that route to by a ready PC but for those like me, I already have a pretty good PC built by me.

Comic_Book_Guy
Superstar
Don't buy a prebuilt. Do some learning. You can build a better, cheaper system your self.

falken76
Expert Consultant

I have a CyberpowerPC and an AMD processor that is not up to the requirements the oculus proposes. I recently bought the recommended Intel processor and it wasn't compatible with my PC (the AMD one has protruding pins while the Intel one simply has contacts, hence the problem). Is there and what is a processor that I can buy that can handle the rift and is compatible with my PC?

You should buy a system that is ready for it.  It doesn't sound at all like you would be capable of building your own system.

falken76
Expert Consultant

Don't buy a prebuilt. Do some learning. You can build a better, cheaper system your self.

Not with his understanding of how these things work.....

Firebug160
Honored Guest

falken76 said:

I want to clarify: I'm not dumb, I understand that the socket requires pins. The intel has a different socket that has contacts and a mechanism to secure it while amd has pins and the socket is basically a breadboard. I simply was asking what amd processors are oculus compatible. 

falken76
Expert Consultant

falken76 said:

I want to clarify: I'm not dumb, I understand that the socket requires pins. The intel has a different socket that has contacts and a mechanism to secure it while amd has pins and the socket is basically a breadboard. I simply was asking what amd processors are oculus compatible. 

I'm not trying to suggest you were dumb at all.  It appeared that you were not familiar with basic knowledge such as AMD and Intel not being able to use the same motherboard.  If that were the case, taking on the task of building your own system would be a nightmare.  Even your clarification suggests that you are not dumb, you just don't sound like you know what you are looking at.  "I understand the socket requires pins"   <----->  Statements like this are what leads to those conclusions.  If you do decide to build your own system, you should share what motherboard and AMD processor you decide on before purchasing to make sure it's compatible.