cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please give us flight simmers a reasonable output to monitor

JohnnyDioxin
Expert Trustee
I'm not asking for a particularly high res or better quality - I'm just asking for a resonable aspect ratio. As it is, both DCS World and FlyInside (I know they are not officially supported, but they are giving us what we want and should be supported/applauded as much as possible) output to a res of about 923x1080. It's okay for keeping an eye on some things you can't see in the Rift, and for people not wearing the headset to know what is going on, but for recording for things like YouTube, it's a nightmare.

I don't know if the res is required by the VR software or if the devs of DCSW and FI have set it, and I appreciate that the lower quality increases performance in VR in the sim, but the aspect ratio at least could be altered to something reasonable, whilst not increasing the oomph required to display it.

One of the things I was really looking forward to when I got my Rift, was making some (hopefully) great vids and showing VR off to the world. As one of my viewers said - they (whoever is setting this awful display) are shooting themselves in the foot with this method. Others are using pictures of themselves "flying" next to the half-screen image seen in the sim - but that isn't my thing, and I very rarely watch vids like that either.

This is great software, a great VR device and great sims - give us the tools to show them off properly and do you a great advertising service to boot!

i5 9600k @4.5GHz; 16GB DDR4 3200; 6xSSD; RTX2080ti; Gigabyte Z390D Mobo
Rift CV1; Index; Quest; Quest 2
3 REPLIES 3

blanes
Rising Star
I would like a standard way to disable output to the monitor.  When in the Rift I rather my monitor went black and rested instead of burning power showing an image I am not even looking at.

But I do understand where you are coming from on this and Oculus should have some programmable app that works both ways for sure.

kojack
MVP
MVP
The reason that the window is a strange aspect is because each eye of the rift is 1080x1200. That's the physical aspect ratio that all VR must be rendered at to display correctly on the panels. The Vive is exactly the same.

For a youtube friendly aspect ratio, one of the following could be done:
- crop the top and bottom off. you've now got lower quality, but this can be done by you, don't need developer help
- render the entire world again with different camera settings. This will have a significant performance hit and must be implemented by the game's developer.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

JohnnyDioxin
Expert Trustee
Cropping it to a monitor friendly shape would cut out a large percent of what is going on and therefore pointless.

What about sending both images (one for each eye) to the monitor?

Also - we didn't have this issue with the DK2 - and not just because it was one display in the device. People were able to relatively easily make SBS videos - which would be even better. I don't see why the entire game world would need to be rendered again - that sounds like cods to me. That's like saying that every output from my graphics cards' 6 outputs has to be rendered separately by the program that is running, because I have them going to monitors with different resolutions.

Besides, the other games all have good output fullscreen resolutions to the monitor. Are you saying there worlds are all rendered twice?

i5 9600k @4.5GHz; 16GB DDR4 3200; 6xSSD; RTX2080ti; Gigabyte Z390D Mobo
Rift CV1; Index; Quest; Quest 2