cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

US Open Tennis 360 NextVR STream STILL NOT AVAILABLE ON OCULUS RIFT!

StreetPreacher
Adventurer
Sorry guys, we still get shafted by whatever BS marketing deal they have with samsung and the Gear hardware....  All of us Oculus Rift early adopters get screwed and have NO ACCESS to any of the 360 streaming concerts, olympics, tennis, etc...

Is this ever going to change???  Does anyone want to trade a Rift for a GearVR and the best phone that goes with it?!!?!

http://www.nextvr.com/#/

Am I just naive for assuming that this service would be available on my overpriced RIft HMD by now?
1 REPLY 1

Warbloke
Superstar

I don't think I would use the word 'naive' - but I think assuming that the 'service' would be available on a much newer development platform just because the hardware to the end user is more expensive is perhaps not a the best assumption to make.

Im no expert, but from what little I have read, added to my own assumptions - here is what I will say... you may agree or disagree.

here:  http://www.wired.co.uk/article/bbc-sport-360-video-rio-olympics I read that the BBC made an experimental 'APP' so that mobile devices could watch many 360 events.

Now - I will say up front I am not a game or mobile APP developer... but my own assumption is the following:
I bet given that the mobile APP platforms for Android and IOS has been around for ages, that developers may find it easier due to their familiarity to actually make an APP in the first place, and that the people such as Apple having had an APP store for a long time, have a well established, and efficient process for developers to get their apps approved etc.

I will make a reference to another post I saw recently here on the forum where a developer has waited 4 weeks so far for a response to try to get his content approved.  Oculus were aware of the problem... but hey.. lets be fair... they are pretty new to this APP portal stuff I bet (despite their more expensive HMD).

Also... if I was a developer, and I was going to make an APP, initially I would want to invest my time in such a way that my APP could hit the most people first.

I bet its also fair to say that there are a LOT more people out their in the world with smartphones capable of the very cheap 'Google Cardboard' or indeed the more expensive GEAR, than there will be RIFT or VIVE owners!

So if you were a developer... wouldn't you make an APP that targets the largest audience first... given that it might be easier to make, and get your content out there on an already well established development platform?

As to is this ever going to change?  Of course it will in time as more and more people invest in higher end VR, there will be enough users for developers to perhaps justify selling to that market so Im sure these apps will appear on the much newer Portals in time.
I also accept that VR is going to be content driven, so why would people adopt the higher end of VR if there isn't much content out yet ?... well I guess that's why we are called 'early adopters'... we are supposed to at some level understand and accept this.

"You can't believe everything you read on the Internet " :- Abraham Lincoln