New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Any Console Gamers Having Trouble Going Back After VR?

13»

Comments

• danknugzdanknugz Posts: 1,989
    Wintermute
    heppsan said:
    When it comes to ordinary games, not so much, I can still enjoy them on a screen.
    But I'm a sim racer, and going back to a single screen isn't really something I'm super exited about after being sat in the seat of the actual cars, with full size cars around me on track and being able to look into the corners!. Nothing will top that experience, besides being a real race driver and actually feeling the G forces.  :p
    so you dont have a problem with braking fast / sharp turns? vr racing is incredible but i get uncomfortable fast due to the motion sockness, although i will admit o havent put much time into "training" for it
    A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
    Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
    A: Top-posting.
    Q: What is the most annoying thing on forums?
  • VetkinVetkin Posts: 111
    Art3mis
    edited December 2016
    I've been using consoles less and less, but it has nothing to do with VR.  For me it's the lack of backwards compatibility and shorter hardware life-cycles that are turning me off from it. I don't really feel like investing in a library or collecting obscure games if I'll have to buy them all over again to play on the newest console. Most of the games I care about have PC versions anyway and I can't afford to keep both my PC up to date and also deal with these mid-cycle console refreshes.  Back in the NES and SNES days, console gaming and PC gaming were just different experiences.  Now a days, not so much.

As far as VR vs Flat-screen gaming goes, VR won't be replacing anything for me until the headset is more like a pair of sunglasses. I just can't stand to have something bulky on my head for a long period of time. I also often want to relax with a drink and some snacks while I'm gaming, and that's difficult to do in VR. Plus I don't always like to be shut off from the world around me and sometimes need to interact with people nearby. I actually feel a bit claustrophobic with the narrow FOV in current VR and there's always the threat of nausea creeping up on me. It's fun for shorter play sessions but I still spend the majority of my time on traditional flat-screen games for those reasons.

• kevink808kevink808 Posts: 803
    3Jane
    I've been gaming since 1982, Atari and Apple II+ a few years later. Had almost every console since until 15 years ago.  Then I started a career in healthcare management following a brief stint in the military.  Just so busy with the job, family, starting a business, etc., that I couldn't relax enough nor find enough time to play games. I was no longer interested.  Nothing was compelling and brought me back to that place I remember, that carefree enjoyment of my youth.  Then in October I tried VR for the first time and I was hooked.  Childhood fantasies come true.  THIS was such a different experience.  Now I'm hooked.  But 2D PC/console gaming? That ship has sailed.  I'm convinced the future is with VR and AR.
    Rift-S, Quest 128GB, GO 64GB.
  • inovatorinovator Posts: 2,412 Valuable Player
    Vetkin your last paragraph is what I have said on other threads is why vr will always be in addition not in place of 2d gaming even when it's like wearing regular glasses. I spend 80% of my time doing vr. But sometimes I want a beer with my dog sitting next to me and just chill in the real world. That's how a majority of people will feel in my opinion. I am passionate about vr like many others on this forum and hope there will be enough people that feel the same to keep vr going and improving .
  • VetkinVetkin Posts: 111
    Art3mis
    edited December 2016
    inovator said:
    Vetkin your last paragraph is what I have said on other threads is why vr will always be in addition not in place of 2d gaming even when it's like wearing regular glasses. I spend 80% of my time doing vr. But sometimes I want a beer with my dog sitting next to me and just chill in the real world. That's how a majority of people will feel in my opinion. I am passionate about vr like many others on this forum and hope there will be enough people that feel the same to keep vr going and improving .
    Yeah totally.  I think most casual gamers will still value the experience of relaxing in the real world with a 2D game, even when VR becomes more advanced. For me personally, once I can sip a drink from a glass without the headset interfering and quickly switch into a lens pass-through view for interacting with the family - I'm all in. :smiley:

Something like a "lens" that projects an image onto your retina, which can darken the background for VR or turn clear for viewing the real world as though it were a pair of sunglasses. From what I've heard, I think that's what Magic Leap is doing (minus the darkening for VR part - although I bet it could).  I can't wait for tech like that.  I'd much rather watch a movie or play a 2D game on a simulated giant screen in an AR headset than I would in VR. I think that's much more likely to replace traditional flat-screen gaming than VR is. 
  • KevinakiKevinaki Posts: 222
    Nexus 6
    @inovator @Vetkin just get a big straw for your drink while in VR ;)

I understand what you both mean though. Me and my friends join each other every Thursday night in VR in Big Screen before deciding what we're going to play. I always have a drink and some snacks but constantly lift the Rift to make sure I don't knock over something. It would be cool if Leap Motion detected my food and drink like it does my hands but we'll get there some day.
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 15,456 Valuable Player
    kcampbell said:
    @Zenbane if you thought episode 1 was great, just wait until you get to episode 2. Then 3. Then 4. Then 5. You'll want more by the time you're finished. I know I do. I think this is a game I'll play again but in the Big Screen theater next time. 
    I just finished Episode 2; starting Episode 3. Still loving it!
    Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
  • flexy123flexy123 Posts: 793
    3Jane
    I have troubles going back to ANY normal game. Eg flight sims, actually BEING.IN the cockpit.
    It's so hugely different than any other, normal game looks like a joke from 200 years ago.

As for 3D p0rn, I unfortunately haven't seen any actual 3D p0rn VR VIDEOS which were "satisfying", they have low resolution, scale is ften off and more annoying than anything. (And yes I am talking about the latest super-high resolution adult VR videos for the rift where a single 20min video is like 12GB. Quality still shoddy, But this is a general problem of VR videos.

Rendered "adult experiences" have potential, but there is too much Hentai etc. out there and most games etc. are still in early-alpha.
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 15,456 Valuable Player
    It is definitely difficult to stay committed to a 2D game for longer than an hour at a time. And even at that, I treat it more like reading a book. I pause the games a lot to do other things around the house.

When I feel like being serious about a gaming experience, I slap on that CV1 HMD!
    Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
  • kevink808kevink808 Posts: 803
    3Jane
    I was a console gamer since Atari 5200.  But I grew out of it once I hit 30 with a family and career.  Didn't game for a decade after that.  But man, did VR change everything.  Made me young again!  No interest in consoles.  Kiddy stuff.
    Rift-S, Quest 128GB, GO 64GB.
  • ApplecorpApplecorp Posts: 741
    3Jane
    edited December 2016
    When I first got the CV1 (June) it was all I played for about a month then I kind of went back to 2D gaming and barely touched the Rift, but with the second/third wave of games and now Touch it's all I've played for the last few months, I can't think of any reason to go back to 2D gaming, even though there are games I'm missing out on I just want them to be on VR instead.
  • RorschachPhoenixRorschachPhoenix Posts: 1,594 Valuable Player
    I have bought a PS4 recently and a lot of games for it that I have missed in the past (the Unsharted Series, The Last of Us, Watchdogs, Assassin's Creed Unity, Heavy Rain, Beyond: two souls and The Order 1886) and I also played Tomb Raider on PC. So, at the moment VR is not a thing for me. I will get back to it, because I have also bought Chronos and Edge of Nowhere.
    Excuse my bad english. I speak to you through the google translator. :P
  • whoa182whoa182 Posts: 381
    Trinity
    Still play 2D games, but use the RIft far more often, especially since touch came out. I was playing BF1 last night with some friends, and although it was good, it wasn't as enjoyable as using the headset and touch. I couldn't wait to put the Rift back on actually...  and it felt sort of restricted on a 2D screen.. just the fact you can't naturally move your head to look around and stuff. Idk, VR has taken a bit of the fun out of 2D gaming. 

And there is no way I could ever go back to playing flight sims or space games on a 2D screen. Nope. Never.
    CPU: i5-4690K 4.50 GHZ RAM: 8.00 GB Corsair Vengence GFX: Nvidia GTX 970 HDD: 2TB MONITOR: Samsung U28D590 27" 4K Res
  • loregnumloregnum Posts: 89
    Hiro Protagonist
    Still playing regular games but there is no question since getting the touch controllers that VR gaming has been taken to another level for me and I think about it while playing other games and what they'd be like in VR.

I really do hope VR gaming (with motion controllers of course) becomes the norm in the future. So damn amazing. 
  • KevinakiKevinaki Posts: 222
    Nexus 6
    I have bought a PS4 recently and a lot of games for it that I have missed in the past (the Unsharted Series, The Last of Us, Watchdogs, Assassin's Creed Unity, Heavy Rain, Beyond: two souls and The Order 1886) and I also played Tomb Raider on PC. So, at the moment VR is not a thing for me. I will get back to it, because I have also bought Chronos and Edge of Nowhere.
    Nice list. I've completed most of them and am working on Watch Dogs 2 now. I'm trying to divide my time between that and all the new Touch games I purchased. Touch adds a whole new level of interaction, even more than Leap Motion. Touch reminds me of the PS4 controllers and I'm surprised Sony did not design something similar when they first introduced the Move.

I've never been happier with games than I am today. Consoles, VR, and the 30th year anniversary of Double Dragon coming up... I'm enjoying every bit of it!
  • The_Hardboiled_OneThe_Hardboiled_One Posts: 38
    Brain Burst
    Certainly haven't given up on playing any console games. I can see a future with both 2D and 3D gaming co-existing for a long time. Cycling through my PS4, PC, and Oculus on a day-to-day basis when I game.
  • RorschachPhoenixRorschachPhoenix Posts: 1,594 Valuable Player
    edited January 2017
    IELTS? :D
    Excuse my bad english. I speak to you through the google translator. :P
  • GreymanGreyman Posts: 1,324
    Wintermute
    edited January 2017
    Looks like the offending post has been removed.  thanks to whoever did that.
  • jayhawkjayhawk Posts: 825
    3Jane
    edited January 2017
    The only reason I console game is for PVP and it's on 10' of screen with big surround sound.

Bought a 1440p gaming monitor to go with my new VR capable PC, so switching back to a monitor or the projector screen feels more like a trade off rather than a disadvantage. 

During DK2 days though, I was convinced I could never game any way but VR when playing Alien Isolation. I go back and forth now with no problems.