cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Feral Rites : game freezes when still in the cage at the start :(

zbufferVR
Explorer
Hello, I am terribly disappointed, I bought Feral Rites but can not play as the game freezes while a sort of ghost says :
"Have the decency to use your fists !"
Then in the middle of the sentence, the display freezes, async timewarp still working I can can turn the head, but the game not longer updates. Looking at my desktop, the window is frozen, when clicking on it Windows tells me "application stopped responding".

I tried several times, reboot, etc, even a different language in game : crash at at the time, each of the 5 times.

What can I do ???

I have to say I have had no problem with any game on Oculus Home, it is the first time I have crashes like this.

Windows 8.1, GTX 980 16GB ram

7 REPLIES 7

CrashFu
Consultant
I hate to suggest this because of the game's file-size, but have you tried to re-install it?  That's the moment where it's supposed to hand over control of the character to you for the first time, IIRC, which seems like a strange event to cause a crash, unless there's a corrupt file or something.. 

Or do you have any other controllers that you leave plugged in to your PC?  This suggestion's a total crap-shoot but maybe something about the inputs the game is receiving is bugging it out..?

(Also if you haven't already, you should email Insomniac Games directly and tell them about the bug.  They'll probably have better advice than me, and might be able to fix it so others don't have to deal with it.. :tongue:  )
It's hard being the voice of reason when you're surrounded by unreasonable people.

zbufferVR
Explorer
Thanks for your ideas, I will try unplugging the 360 wireless dongle, then re-installing the game, then mailing the devs 🙂

What I find strange is that nobody else seem to have problems running the game ?

zbufferVR
Explorer
Unfortunately, removing the 360 wireless dongle and re-installing the game changed nothing, exact same freeze :'(

I opened a support ticket at Insomniac Games.

zbufferVR
Explorer
Well, solution was updating to Nvidia driver 372.70 : works perfectly now !

CrashFu
Consultant
Awesome!  Yeah, keeping those driver versions current is super important, especially with VR games.  Hope you enjoy the game!
It's hard being the voice of reason when you're surrounded by unreasonable people.

zbufferVR
Explorer
Super important not that much, I think I never updated my PC video drivers in a year or so, and that is the first time I experienced a problem 😘

I remember reading about those newer drivers for VR, thinking that as soon I had a problem in a game, I would update, then totally forgot about it ... In hindsight, I was clumsy !

BTW, the game is fun, but the camera is often quite far from the action.
And unskippable dialogs and intros are annoying too, in this sense I found Edge of Nowhere did a much better job for that. You could always walk around during dialogs, even when reading books.

CrashFu
Consultant
Yeah, fortunately the unskippable blahblah is mostly concentrated in those first twenty minutes.  After that, they'll only lock you down and force you to listen for very brief dialogues.

The camera... just takes some getting used to. It's not the game's strong point, for sure.  :tongue: