cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow Aliens Prototype (Oculus Version)

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi,
I would like to introduce my WIP shooting game "Slow Aliens" though it has only 2 levels yet.

The link is the following. (zipped Mac app)
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/874120/AlienAttack_OculusBuildMac.app.zip

CONTROL: Arrow keys or WASD to move (your camera direction gets forward), space bar to shoot a bullet.
NOTE: The shot consume your score so be mindful about it.

I am going to add more levels after this but very pleased to hear your feedback so that I could make it fun.
Thanks and hope you enjoy it.

PS:
As well as Oculus demo,I am developing iOS version whose control is different from Oculus version.
The following is the link in case you are interested in it.
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/slowaliens/id688178077
3 REPLIES 3

Fluke
Heroic Explorer
I don't do digital fruit 😞
Co-host of Recentered - A VR Podcast, available on all normal podcast streaming services.

AdamsImmersive
Honored Guest
I like it! Tip to others: don't forget to go to the Window menu

I know some of the art is probably just placeholders (cubes for aliens) but that's the smart way to develop game play--and the game play feels good to me. The weapon is kind of a "hose": slow moving shots but zillions of them. I've always liked that style of battle.

I like laying on the rapid fire and blasting away... of course, that gave me a negative score 🙂 Better to conserve your shots.

Other things I like:

- Aliens are slow (as promised!) but in large numbers. That's an unusual way to create challenge, but I like it, just for variety.

- Difficulty curve is low (I died, but not right away--had time to play around). Unless of course you want to get a decent score--that's a separate challenge from just surviving.

- Different alien types (the ones that split off in wave 2)

- Direct Rift aiming of the gun--I like that mode in Half-Life 2, and I like it here.

- The feel of a massive mothership hovering overhead is neat

- Simple, arena-style combat (complex environments to explore are great too, but sometimes I enjoy simply aiming and blasting away)

- Real native Mac-style full-screen toggle (I'm used to the Unity dialog for that)

- My Logitech gamepad works: press 4 to fire, left stick to walk. No need for keyboard!

- The columns of hovering aliens dropping from the ship, and the fact that you can blast them even before they hit the ground (I can imagine a big "UFO light beam" added later)

- The chain reactions when one alien explodes and takes others with it

- Runs fast on my measly 2011 Intel X3100 integrated graphics! (Older model MacBook Air.)

Things I think might need improvement:

- The art (but as I say, this may not be the time to worry about that).

- Maybe add a little variety--like small hills/slopes or cover/obstacles--to the arena?

- An aiming reticle could help you conserve ammo. I did like having to aim entirely by firing the gun--the projectiles are super easy to see--but I wasted ammo that way.

- I think you may need a way to turn your body: Q and E keys, arrow keys, mouse, right joystick--something. Currently the game is set up best for a rotating chair (which I don't dare try--cable damage!). So you can't shoot behind yourself, and shooting to the side is awkward for long periods. That's not actually that much of a gameplay problem: just back up to the wall if you need to keep them from getting behind you. However, that discourages roaming the arena. If you want people to feel free to move around, then they need a way to turn their body.

- Health meter would be nice (unless it's instant death? that would be fine too)

- Firing is currently silent

(The iOS version seems unfinished: graphics aren't as good as the Rift demo,judging by the screenshots. But you've left it free, and can improve the graphics later, so no harm done!)
Morgan Mac OS XUnity

Anonymous
Not applicable
@AdamsImmersive,
Thank you for your play and a lot of constructive feedback.
It is also great to hear that you could played with game pad that I haven't experienced myself.
As you wrote, it has lots of placeholders as it is WIP but the highest priority to me is the gameplay feeling itself.
I completely agree it needs to improve the body-turn that I have never imagined before playing with Oculus Rift.
I will post next version here when some improvements are done.
Thanks again.