$199 or $219, plus $xxx.xx How much really? — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

$199 or $219, plus $xxx.xx How much really?

Ibsn87Ibsn87 Posts: 19
NerveGear
edited October 2016 in General
Edit: short simple version.

Question relevant to everyone around the world who has preordered.

Can an official oculus team member please explain;

You set a price for preorder in US dollars

You charge some people more, some less.

Officially you say you are YET to add tax, customs or shipping fees...

Why then charge some an extra $20 USD in the preorder, with absolutely no justification in the checkout or receipt. It's not tax, shipping or customs... because that's yet to be added according to you?

I'm sure everyone would be totally ok with it.... If it was communicated at some point throughout the preorder.
Tagged:
«1

Comments

  • MradrMradr Posts: 3,348 Valuable Player
    edited October 2016
    *rolls eyes* omg another AUS unfair shipping thread ... sorry - not to be mean or anything, but the fact we can say this you have to understand we get this a lot and there are a ton of threads over this already. Please get to looking around and understand the situation a bit before posting these threads.

    It depends on the reasons - for example, states here in the US also saw a jump from the 199 because of taxes to 215, so it depends on what they're adding to the mix, for example taxes, GST, and other things. I'm not flunt in these talks to break it down, but rest be sure - they're not screwing you over. I just want to make sure you understand that and maybe kill the drama just a bit on the part.
  • whalan84whalan84 Posts: 119
    Hiro Protagonist
    I agree 100% with OP. I seen the jump and thought "fk that not doing this again" and closed the tab. Mradr it's not the first time I have purchased online from overseas... the deceitful ordering process DOES NOT happen anywhere else and if they added a tax they would LABEL IT AS A TAX not add it to the regular amount and then advise taxes may be applicable in future. People assume it's tax because it's 10%. Well how do I claim it as tax when it isn't even labelled!! This will be the third time I have been through this and f*** am I glad I don't have to listen to the same old line "They are only new, they haven't manufactured before blah blah" Oculus get your shit together. And by the way Mradr the reason so many posts like this from Aussies isn't because Aussies are stupid but because Oculus seem to be.
  • haapavuohaapavuo Posts: 43
    Brain Burst
    Same is for all of us, not just the Aussies. I live in Finland (tax rate 24%), and got the same message that the tax will be added to the price of 199€...
  • Lemming1970Lemming1970 Posts: 681
    Neo
    edited October 2016
    I don't even think its a shipping issue. $199 is US $219 is AUS. Same way it switches to £189.00 in the U.K.

    As it's 1 US$ to 1.32  AUS$  I'd say it was a bit of a bargain. Should be around $263 AUS
    Modded Coolermaster RC-1000 Cosmos/1000W Corsair HX Series
    i7 6700k o/c to 4.7ghz Corsair H100i water cooler.
    Zotac 1080Ti
    16 gb DDR4 o/c to 3000mhz
    Predator XB271HU 27" 2560x1440 IPS G-Sync 165Hz
  • haapavuohaapavuo Posts: 43
    Brain Burst
    I don't even think its a shipping issue. $199 is US $219 is aus. Same way it switches to £189.00 in the U.K.
    Please explain me why $199 = 179€ but Oculus Touch costs me 199€ plus tax..?
  • MradrMradr Posts: 3,348 Valuable Player
    whalan84 said:
    I agree 100% with OP. I seen the jump and thought "fk that not doing this again" and closed the tab. Mradr it's not the first time I have purchased online from overseas... the deceitful ordering process DOES NOT happen anywhere else and if they added a tax they would LABEL IT AS A TAX not add it to the regular amount and then advise taxes may be applicable in future. People assume it's tax because it's 10%. Well how do I claim it as tax when it isn't even labelled!! This will be the third time I have been through this and f*** am I glad I don't have to listen to the same old line "They are only new, they haven't manufactured before blah blah" Oculus get your shit together. And by the way Mradr the reason so many posts like this from Aussies isn't because Aussies are stupid but because Oculus seem to be.
    And that's the same comment that make every time and then some one comes in here and re-explains it all. Really- have you went to look up the issue with the other threads? Also, I don't think Aussies are stupid. I never said that :) but I guess sometimes people take what they want for who they are. There are a ton that understand and some actually come here and try to explain - but it seems like it goes over some peoples head by the fact they only have tunnel vision to the bigger picture. 
  • OpticKingOpticKing Posts: 1,185
    Wintermute
    There's no way to make everyone happy, there will always be people who complain with anything and everything. Notice no one has praised oculus for giving all pre orders (even international) free shipping saving them hundreds, but complain when they have to pay a tax that literally everyone else has to pay.
  • Lemming1970Lemming1970 Posts: 681
    Neo
    edited October 2016
    haapavuo said:
    I don't even think its a shipping issue. $199 is US $219 is aus. Same way it switches to £189.00 in the U.K.
    Please explain me why $199 = 179€ but Oculus Touch costs me 199€ plus tax..?


    Is it plus tax? U.K.s price they have included VAT.
     £189 price quoted and price paid.


    Having said that, Three is always the option not to buy them and cancel your order.
    Modded Coolermaster RC-1000 Cosmos/1000W Corsair HX Series
    i7 6700k o/c to 4.7ghz Corsair H100i water cooler.
    Zotac 1080Ti
    16 gb DDR4 o/c to 3000mhz
    Predator XB271HU 27" 2560x1440 IPS G-Sync 165Hz
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 14,108 Valuable Player
    edited October 2016
    219 - 199 = 20

    How much energy are you spending to argue over $20, really?

    If time is money... then everyone complaining about $20 just tripled their losses, and counting.
    Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
  • haapavuohaapavuo Posts: 43
    Brain Burst
    haapavuo said:
    I don't even think its a shipping issue. $199 is US $219 is aus. Same way it switches to £189.00 in the U.K.
    Please explain me why $199 = 179€ but Oculus Touch costs me 199€ plus tax..?


    Is it plus tax? U.K.s price they have included VAT.
     £189 price quoted and price paid.


    Having said that, Three is always the option not to buy them and cancel your order.
    Check out the end of this message.
    Sakkura said:
    haapavuo said:
    I don't even think its a shipping issue. $199 is US $219 is aus. Same way it switches to £189.00 in the U.K.
    Please explain me why $199 = 179€ but Oculus Touch costs me 199€ plus tax..?
    It costs 199€ including tax.

    The $219 for Australia is because it's $199 plus 10% tax (and it's in US dollars).

    People are complaining without any basis, when basically everyone is getting a great deal. Free shipping, for starters.

    Please don't come here shouting garbage without knowing any facts.


    In my Email confirmation: 

    Taxes, Surcharges and Fees: Applicable shipping, taxes and duties will be added to and charged in your payment upon shipment of the unit.

  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 14,108 Valuable Player
    edited October 2016
    haapavuo said:
    Please don't come here shouting garbage without knowing any facts.

    In my Email confirmation: 

    Taxes, Surcharges and Fees: Applicable shipping, taxes and duties will be added to and charged in your payment upon shipment of the unit.

    Well all got the same email. You aren't proving anything with your understanding of "facts."

    That thing at the end of the email is there to address any special circumstances that may cause the final amount to change. Like if you decide to go live on a small obscure Island and want your shipment switched to that location.

    When the CV1 was ordered, lots of people came here asking to change their shipping address. The "taxes, surcharges and fees" is extremely common on pretty much any type of cross-national transaction that involves a transfer of goods.
    Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
  • Lemming1970Lemming1970 Posts: 681
    Neo
    edited October 2016
    haapavuo said:
    haapavuo said:
    I don't even think its a shipping issue. $199 is US $219 is aus. Same way it switches to £189.00 in the U.K.
    Please explain me why $199 = 179€ but Oculus Touch costs me 199€ plus tax..?


    Is it plus tax? U.K.s price they have included VAT.
     £189 price quoted and price paid.


    Having said that, Three is always the option not to buy them and cancel your order.
    Check out the end of this message.
    Sakkura said:
    haapavuo said:
    I don't even think its a shipping issue. $199 is US $219 is aus. Same way it switches to £189.00 in the U.K.
    Please explain me why $199 = 179€ but Oculus Touch costs me 199€ plus tax..?
    It costs 199€ including tax.

    The $219 for Australia is because it's $199 plus 10% tax (and it's in US dollars).

    People are complaining without any basis, when basically everyone is getting a great deal. Free shipping, for starters.

    Please don't come here shouting garbage without knowing any facts.


    In my Email confirmation: 

    Taxes, Surcharges and Fees: Applicable shipping, taxes and duties will be added to and charged in your payment upon shipment of the unit.

    Oh dear,
     I didn't shout anything, I think you find the '?' is a question mark.

    But I'll post this bit again, vote with your wallet if it's that big an issue to you.


    Just checked back on my RIFT email. That had the same  "Taxes, Surcharges and Fees: Applicable shipping, taxes and duties will be added to and charged in your payment upon shipment of the unit." but there was no additional fee. It's a generic e-mail which I believe affects the USA price not international prices.

      

    Items:

    Oculus Rift (£499.00 ) x 1 = £499.00

    Taxes, Surcharges and Fees: Applicable shipping, taxes and duties will be added to and charged in your payment upon shipment of the unit.

    Order Total: £529.00

    Tracking #: (will be assigned when your order ships)

    Shipping Information:


     

    The £30.00 was the shipping fee which was later scrubbed, they have ALREADY said there is no shipping fee this time.




     
    Modded Coolermaster RC-1000 Cosmos/1000W Corsair HX Series
    i7 6700k o/c to 4.7ghz Corsair H100i water cooler.
    Zotac 1080Ti
    16 gb DDR4 o/c to 3000mhz
    Predator XB271HU 27" 2560x1440 IPS G-Sync 165Hz
  • nalex66nalex66 Posts: 4,530 Volunteer Moderator
    "Applicable shipping, taxes and duties will be added to and charged in your payment upon shipment of the unit."

    That's a catch-all statement for all orders. In some countries (like USA and Canada), sales tax varies by state or province, and for those cases there may be additional taxes that are applicable on top of the list price.

    If you live in a country that demands that taxes be included in list prices (like the UK and EU), then taxes are already included in the price, and there are no other applicable taxes in your case.
    i7 5820K @ 4.25 GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32 GB | Corsair HX 750W
    Corsair Hydro H100i | Samsung SSDs: 860 Evo 1 TB, 850 Evo 1 TB, 840 Evo 1 TB | Seagate BarraCuda HDD 3 TB
  • SakkuraSakkura Posts: 267
    Nexus 6
    haapavuo said:

    Please don't come here shouting garbage without knowing any facts.


    In my Email confirmation: 

    Taxes, Surcharges and Fees: Applicable shipping, taxes and duties will be added to and charged in your payment upon shipment of the unit.

    I could say the same to you. Before you confirm the order, you get a similar message saying all that will be added before you place your order.

    And it is illegal not to include VAT in the price on sales in the EU, unless it's explicitly marked "excluding VAT."

    And it worked the same way with the Rift, when they said 699€ it included VAT.
  • TwoHedWlfTwoHedWlf Posts: 2,234 Valuable Player
    OpticKing said:
    There's no way to make everyone happy, there will always be people who complain with anything and everything. Notice no one has praised oculus for giving all pre orders (even international) free shipping saving them hundreds, but complain when they have to pay a tax that literally everyone else has to pay.
    Just for the record, I have.  I mean, I probably would have bought it anyway, but saving $50-100usd on shipping makes me happy. :)
  • Ibsn87Ibsn87 Posts: 19
    NerveGear
    Lol, ok, so I started something that's "been brought up a million times before"
    If you don't want to be involved, and don't have official facts, please walk away and don't click on the link.

    Let's break down the answers.

    ***Aussie dollar bargain: It's not a bargain as $220 was still in US dollars.
    So it's still more for no reason.

    ***Laws and taxes: In Aus, we don't have to pay GST on items under 1k.
    So it cannot be a Tax... NOR is this DOCUMENTED in the receipt. Not to mention, it says, TAX WILL BE ADDED LATER!

    ***Communication: Oculus said it was free shipping on these (apparently) and yet officially said shipping charges will be added later?
    So it cannot be shipping charges...

    ***People say shut up, your getting free shipping. Well are we?
    (As a walk in customer I have received nothing to tell me this, other then a disclaimer I will be changed $x amount for shipping later!)

    ****People say shutup and accept it?
    We are charged more for absolutely no justified reason? Seriously? Are we really that stupid.

    The suggestion here that as a walk in customer I SHOULD be expected to troll trough forums to justify an undocumented extra charge? And or not talk about it.

    Some people are getting upset here and didn't even pay the unknown extra. So they are wasting breath over $0...

    But when Peter buys something for 10 dollars and Paul pays 30 dollars for the same thing. I would f***ing hope the seller gives Paul a receipt justifying why.

    If Oculus simply broke down their ghost charges in the receipt noone across the whole world would have had an issue if it was justified.

    In summary it appears it's a total BS money grab. Then leaving their customers wallets open for their own picking later. (Oculus please feel free to clarify)

    I wouldn't leave my customers hanging like that, and I break down every cost in the receipt. It's pretty basic stuff if you want to keep paying customers not feeling jibbed.
  • TwoHedWlfTwoHedWlf Posts: 2,234 Valuable Player
    You don't have to pay gst on personal imports under $1k.(Or whatever AUs term is)

    But this is not a personal import, this is being bought from a company that is gst registered in Australia and therefore gst is applicable just like if you had bought it from any other company inside Australia.
  • Lemming1970Lemming1970 Posts: 681
    Neo
    Ibsn87 said:
    Lol, ok, so I started something that's "been brought up a million times before"
    If you don't want to be involved, and don't have official facts, please walk away and don't click on the link.

    Let's break down the answers.

    ***Aussie dollar bargain: It's not a bargain as $220 was still in US dollars.
    So it's still more for no reason.

    ***Laws and taxes: In Aus, we don't have to pay GST on items under 1k.
    So it cannot be a Tax... NOR is this DOCUMENTED in the receipt. Not to mention, it says, TAX WILL BE ADDED LATER!

    ***Communication: Oculus said it was free shipping on these (apparently) and yet officially said shipping charges will be added later?
    So it cannot be shipping charges...

    ***People say shut up, your getting free shipping. Well are we?
    (As a walk in customer I have received nothing to tell me this, other then a disclaimer I will be changed $x amount for shipping later!)

    ****People say shutup and accept it?
    We are charged more for absolutely no justified reason? Seriously? Are we really that stupid.

    The suggestion here that as a walk in customer I SHOULD be expected to troll trough forums to justify an undocumented extra charge? And or not talk about it.

    Some people are getting upset here and didn't even pay the unknown extra. So they are wasting breath over $0...

    But when Peter buys something for 10 dollars and Paul pays 30 dollars for the same thing. I would f***ing hope the seller gives Paul a receipt justifying why.

    If Oculus simply broke down their ghost charges in the receipt noone across the whole world would have had an issue if it was justified.

    In summary it appears it's a total BS money grab. Then leaving their customers wallets open for their own picking later. (Oculus please feel free to clarify)

    I wouldn't leave my customers hanging like that, and I break down every cost in the receipt. It's pretty basic stuff if you want to keep paying customers not feeling jibbed.


    Guess you won't be buying them then, Expert of all things Oculus.

    Mind your ass on the door on the way out.




    Modded Coolermaster RC-1000 Cosmos/1000W Corsair HX Series
    i7 6700k o/c to 4.7ghz Corsair H100i water cooler.
    Zotac 1080Ti
    16 gb DDR4 o/c to 3000mhz
    Predator XB271HU 27" 2560x1440 IPS G-Sync 165Hz
  • Ibsn87Ibsn87 Posts: 19
    NerveGear
    Lol, expert. I clearly said I was a walk in customer.

    One last word about the GST conversation... Officially they still say they are "yet to charge taxes".

    Alas 2 head wolf, What your saying about GST being added already directly contradicts the official receipt I and everyone else received.

    Oculus, suggestion for the future;
    If you charge one customer $x and another $y.
    Please document the reason in the receipt or checkout process. Basic sales 101. Tends to make smart people happy to know where their money is going.

    OP still not answered. Looks like I'm not alone, and oculus could clean up the confusion just simply by improving their checkout and receipt documentation.
  • TwoHedWlfTwoHedWlf Posts: 2,234 Valuable Player
    edited October 2016
    I think maybe Oculus should just stop selling to Australia, I'm pretty sure all the whining and complaining about charges I've seen has come from Australia.  It's got to be more trouble than it's worth.
  • MradrMradr Posts: 3,348 Valuable Player
    edited October 2016
    That's what I said a while back ... it cut half the problems down for a while anyways. I find them more funny now than annoying anyways xD OP/OP friend gets all work up - someone later comes in and explain shit again - then move on because their tunnel focus doesn't understand their own laws - and then they understand even though they don't still wanna except they are still getting it way cheaper than what Vive would be costing them making Oculus the fair guy in this deal following all the AUS rules and tax guide lines that their country setup.  

    Sadly - there are ton of good AUS that understand and can live/understand what's going. These are just a few that like to poison the well now and then sadly. Trust me - it's not the whole country - it's just a few "winners" in life that can't understand what's going on.
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 14,108 Valuable Player
    edited October 2016
    Ibsn87 said:
    I wouldn't leave my customers hanging like that, and I break down every cost in the receipt. It's pretty basic stuff if you want to keep paying customers not feeling jibbed.
    Can we have a look to your epic product that you're using for comparison?

    Also, this is a pre-order situation, not a final sale. I guess you've never allowed your customers to "hang" on a pre-order? I pre-ordered Touch and do not feel jibbed or left hanging. Mostly cause I can think rationally.
    Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
  • kojackkojack Posts: 5,293 Volunteer Moderator
    TwoHedWlf said:
    I think maybe Oculus should just stop selling to Australia, I'm pretty sure all the whining and complaining about charges I've seen has come from Australia.  It's got to be more trouble than it's worth.


  • Ibsn87Ibsn87 Posts: 19
    NerveGear
    Your still talking tax, and the receipt says we are yet to be charged tax. Omfg.

    I must not have the Trump logic.
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 14,108 Valuable Player
    Ibsn87 said:
    Your still talking tax, and the receipt says we are yet to be charged tax. Omfg.

    I must not have the Trump logic.
    And here I was thinking that you're good at the Trump logic...
    Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
  • Ibsn87Ibsn87 Posts: 19
    NerveGear
    In summary,
    20 usd unjustified extra, that is not tax,
    Not shipping.
    Not duties.
    Because the official receipt says so.

    Effects many consumers world wide.

    Why any global consumer in their right mind, wouldn't want clarification on this. Is way beyond me.
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 14,108 Valuable Player
    Effects many consumers world wide but only like 3 posts on the official forum about it. Yeah, way beyond reason.
    Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
  • kzintzikzintzi Posts: 1,068
    Wintermute
    dude you gotta chill out - I'm in Australia and sure we get stung lots by companies a lot (though Oculus isn't doing that here), but you're approaching this forum the wrong way.

    it's the usual GST that Oculus has to pay here in Oz.. move on mate.

    and @TwoHedWlf , don't say that!!! we is nice over here mostly :smile: besides, Steam already don't sell a lot of stuff here (steam controller anyone), I'd hate to think Oculus would do the same :trollface:

    Though you are more than slightly incoherent, I agree with you Madam,
    a plum is a terrible thing to do to a nostril.
  • Ibsn87Ibsn87 Posts: 19
    NerveGear
    Lol repeat, Tax again..... official receipt says "tax is yet to be charged".

    Disappointing the oculus community hasn't stood as one on equal price for consumers, infact it's been very much the opposite.

    Ultimately I suspected there might be some official oculus Reps on this forum that could give some strait up no bullshit official info.

    Not one link, or official document has been referenced that contradicts the statement on receipt we have been given.
Sign In or Register to comment.