cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Steam hardware survey

edmg
Trustee
Just thought I'd mention that I finally got picked for this yesterday, as we've had discussions before about how accurate this survey may be.

It was one of the few times I had both Rift and Vive connected. So I was surprised that Steam only reported the Rift, not the Vive. Particularly as I'd just been using the Vive.

But the numbers still seem bogus, as the graph appeared to show a pretty much static percentage of Vive users, a declining percentage of CV1 users, and a rising percentage of DK2 users. Unless something very strange is going on, they obviously don't have enough data to produce meaningful results.
5 REPLIES 5

CrashFu
Consultant
A static percentage of Vive users could indicate that everyone who wants a Vive already has one, that all existing demand for that product has been fulfilled, (and that with Touch finally coming out, there will be very little new demand for the Vive from now on. :wink: )

A declining percentage of CV1 users could be that many of us are using Steam less and Oculus Home more?  I've pretty much stopped using Steam altogether, except to chat with a couple people and run the VirZoom program (since they haven't gotten approved for an OH app yet).   Also I haven't been asked to do the hardware survey since getting my Rift...  Maybe they pre-detect whether you have Oculus Home installed before deciding whether to give you the survey in the first place. :tongue:

But the DK2s are a stumper... are people buying up old ones on eBay and using them to play old horror games, or something?
It's hard being the voice of reason when you're surrounded by unreasonable people.

Techy111
MVP
MVP
When I sold mine December last year in the UK on flea bay, there was about 20 units. Tonight I checked and there's 30 plus lol no idea what's going there then ?
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

kzintzi
Trustee
I'm not playing anything in VR in Steam as Home is where my heart is (and my games)

in fact I've not used Steam much at all since I got the rift, and I used to get the popup survey's fairly regularly but haven't seen on in months.
Though you are more than slightly incoherent, I agree with you Madam,
a plum is a terrible thing to do to a nostril.

Anonymous
Not applicable
It'd be a laugh if, once Touch is released, there'es a huge 'increase' in CV1 ownership as people start trying out Vive games :).

CrashFu
Consultant

AndyW1384 said:

It'd be a laugh if, once Touch is released, there'es a huge 'increase' in CV1 ownership as people start trying out Vive games :).

Yeah, a lot of people might.  Personally, I don't have time to sift through all the shovelware and games with broken rift compatibility over there, and I figure that any developer who isn't a pretentious idiot will try to get their game cross-released on Oculus Home anyways, right?
It's hard being the voice of reason when you're surrounded by unreasonable people.