New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Oculus Medium Releases & Updates

Comments

• DennisDennis Posts: 9
    NerveGear
    To sculpt in Vr is really great. I hope there will be a move tool soon.As normal zbrush user thats the brush i use the most to get the rough shape and also for fixing. Missing this makes this tool sadly way less powerful.   Also it would be great if the strength of the brushes could be changeable. Using only the trigger with feather gives imho too less control since it swaps from too little into too strong in no time. Thx for the updates by now and i hope to see much more great stuff from this tool and people who use it.
  • P3nT4gR4mP3nT4gR4m Posts: 1,713 Valuable Player

@Dennis the trigger sensitivity gets better the higher resolution you're working on. At the default level the inflate tool is a howling maniac, with a thirst for blood and laying waste to everything in it's path. Move up a couple of resolution levels, however, and it's the sweetest, fluffiest little kitten, purring gracefully beneath your fingertips.

I'd still like a tweak to the pressure curve but that's become a fair bit less important to me since I figured out the res thing.
  • DennisDennis Posts: 9
    NerveGear
    P3nT4gR4m thank you. I always tried to block it out on low res since i cant switch back between resolution and never pushed them high by now. For me its kinda impossible on low res to block it out in a level i would call satisfying. Just starting Medium to give it a try. 
    Yeah, mate, it looks like they have some kind of smoothing algorithm over the top of the transform that wastes low poly/voxel geometry like a bull in a china shop. I do all my blocking with the clay and smooth tools (even with smooth you have to be careful at low res) then bring in inflate/deflate once I'm further in toward detailing.

One of the problems is you don't get any indication of res, other than funny little glitchy shadow artifacts when it's real low, so you can be zoomed right in and your sculpt can look huge, like the size of a skyscraper but really you only got half a dozen voxels holding the fort.
  • WheatabitsWheatabits Posts: 148
    Art3mis
    I have 2 quick questions (may be answered elsewhere, if so I'm sorry).

1) I was messing with the resolution last night and got the windows error about low memory.  Is this based on RAM or VRAM?  Can I close programs in the background to help it out?  Is there a way to lower the resolution?  I only saw "increase"

2) I'm really bad with the flatten tool.  And the cut tool doesn't work like logic says it should.  So does anyone know the best way to "slice" something?  For example, I want a round disc, sat for eyes on a snowman.  Do I have to make a sphere and then flatten both sides?

Thanks in advance and I love the program!  Just need to get better haha.
  • nalex66nalex66 Posts: 5,148 Volunteer Moderator
    I have 2 quick questions (may be answered elsewhere, if so I'm sorry).

1) I was messing with the resolution last night and got the windows error about low memory.  Is this based on RAM or VRAM?  Can I close programs in the background to help it out?  Is there a way to lower the resolution?  I only saw "increase"

2) I'm really bad with the flatten tool.  And the cut tool doesn't work like logic says it should.  So does anyone know the best way to "slice" something?  For example, I want a round disc, sat for eyes on a snowman.  Do I have to make a sphere and then flatten both sides?

Thanks in advance and I love the program!  Just need to get better haha.
    1. It's regular RAM that gets used up. Upping the resolution increases the amount of data in the model.

2. Cut keeps both halves of the geometry that you cut through, moving one half off into its own layer. For what you want to do, you might find a pre-existing stamp in the Stamps menu that better suits the shape you're trying to make, rather than using the default sphere stamp. Also, you wouldn't need to flatten both sides--you can let the geometry interfere into the surface that you're placing it on.
    i7 5820K @ 4.25GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32GB | Corsair HX 750W
    SSDs: Intel 660p M.2 2TB, Samsung 860 Evo 1TB, 850 Evo 1TB, 840 Evo 1TB | Startech 4 controller PCIe USB 3.0
  • OutatimeTVOutatimeTV Posts: 53
    Hiro Protagonist
    After the recent update 1.01 the language on all the menus in Medium are back to English and I can't find the language settings anymore.
  • smanginismangini Posts: 7
    NerveGear
    From the patch notes:
    - Changing the language of Oculus Home (Skyline) changes the language of Medium.
  • iroczivirocziv Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    LVNeptune said:
    Is there going to be any fix for the "blurriness" encountered when looking at the virtual touch controllers? Quite a few of us reporting the same thing on reddit.
    I'm curious about this too, seems way blurrier than it should be.

• pieromanpieroman Posts: 34
    Brain Burst
    irocziv said:
    LVNeptune said:
    Is there going to be any fix for the "blurriness" encountered when looking at the virtual touch controllers? Quite a few of us reporting the same thing on reddit.
    I'm curious about this too, seems way blurrier than it should be.

It's likely vergence-accomodation conflict (your eyes focus at the " wrong* " depth for objects that appear close in VR), I doubt much can be done about it in software. It's just that for some reason it's happens more in Medium... You can try holding the controllers further away from you, try to "train" your eyes not to focus, try to close one eye, etc.

* Biologically speaking it's the correct depth: in real life if the object is close your eyes need to focus close, but unfortunately the Rift displays stuff in focus only if your eyes are focused far.
  • XlordBXlordB Posts: 289
    Nexus 6
    edited December 2016
    after hours of fun there is some features id like to see 1- when i am working with layers and i want to position two objects next to each others surface id like to see a snap to  nearest surface option so that say for example i want to make a pole from two layers it will allow both cylinders to snap to each other with the correct alignment. 2- a stretch tool to allow me to lengthen something after i have already created or stamped something. 3.- allowing us to add a light source to an object or just making the emissive material actually project light. also maybe allow us to add extra spotlights?. 4- the lathe.. this tool is excellent however its problematic trying to use it with different layers as it rotates the whole scene maybe would be nice to instead remove it from the scene menu and allow us to add a lathe to a particular layer and then also to have one more option in it gear menu which allows us to centre an object on the lathe as well as horizontally aligning the object to the flat plane (a disc for example) please ? 

edit- one last thing can an option to lock the lathe to a layer (like you can with the camera lock to sculpt) this would remove the need for us to have a recenter to lathe option as the object wont leave the lathe orientation. but we could still move the object any way to better manipulate it. ;)

I haven't really used it, but I thought the Lathe tool was per layer? I just assumed that because it's accessed through the layer interface. I had been wondering how to make it apply to all layers so I could make a recording of my sculpt rotating. I'll have to mess with it this evening and see exactly what it does.
    i7 5820K @ 4.25GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32GB | Corsair HX 750W
    SSDs: Intel 660p M.2 2TB, Samsung 860 Evo 1TB, 850 Evo 1TB, 840 Evo 1TB | Startech 4 controller PCIe USB 3.0
    Nexus 6
    edited December 2016
    the lathe tool can be selected and accesses from the scene editor when you turn it on in layers it matters not which layer you are on the whole scene rotates. This is why i suggest to them allowing to add a lathe per layer(object). ;) you can also access the lathes speed settings etc from the scene area.
    Nexus 6
    I had another idea.. its sort of interesting but what if there was a way to paint a material onto an object instead of having to decide the material using layers.. wouldnt that make things kind of easier? maybe im just overthinking it.
  • VenomousDeathVenomousDeath Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    Crashed during save, 2X this is unacceptable. One was after 3hrs of sculpting, the second after an hour? Very disappointed? Am I supposed to try and save every 15min?

Why cant I adjust graphics setting to increase Super sampling or Alias?

Most tools don't function at smaller detail or diameter tools, If I want to make fine details its next to impossible?

Need more options for backgorunds, music, lighting?
  • FrozenPeaFrozenPea Posts: 2,535 Valuable Player
    Am I supposed to try and save every 15min?

I guess you're new to 3D modelling tools?  :p Seriously though...yes save every 15mins, it's something you learn early on. :)

If you want to play music while sculpting Medium will mirror the audio on the desktop, so just set spotify playing before launching and then it will mirror it as soon as it starts up.
  • KevinLongtimeKevinLongtime Posts: 283
    Nexus 6
    I make sure to hit quick save a lot in Medium. I've never crashed yet htough...only froze on loading something that made me kill the process on the first release build. havent froze since the update
    I just had my first Medium crash tonight. It always sucks to lose any amount of work. I always try to save regularly, but in this case, I wish I'd done it more recently. I'd say every 15 minutes or less is a good rule.
    - Layer drift should no longer occur!

- Layers will no longer drift over long periods of time without a user moving them 

Best news I've had all day. Just spent the last 3 hours swearing at this!  :D

• FrozenPeaFrozenPea Posts: 2,535 Valuable Player
    Yaay i can finish my robot bust now without layer drifting!
  • jayhawkjayhawk Posts: 824
    3Jane
    FrozenPea said:
    Am I supposed to try and save every 15min?

I guess you're new to 3D modelling tools?  :p Seriously though...yes save every 15mins, it's something you learn early on. :)

If you want to play music while sculpting Medium will mirror the audio on the desktop, so just set spotify playing before launching and then it will mirror it as soon as it starts up.
    Does Medium crash due to running out of memory? It crashed on me and I had to start completely over on setup as if I just bought the Rift/Touch.
  • pogueepoguee Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    How do I see the recordings outside the medium interface? Is there a setting to change from the .rec file extension? When I view the .rec file in a player it just has the photo...
    Nexus 6
    FrozenPea said:
    Yaay i can finish my robot bust now without layer drifting!
    did it work? i started rudolf last night and lost symmetry
  • MattHickmanMattHickman Posts: 359 Oculus Staff
    @poguee

Recordings aren’t actually a video. They are a special VR-only format for use in Oculus Medium. We will be adding video export support in a later update. 
  • KnogenKnogen Posts: 18
    NerveGear
    I can´t see any stamps in Medium, not in the clay settings or in the "home"-menu. If I hover above them I can read about them but I can´t see them. I can of course use them, but it would be nice to be able to preview them in the thumbnails.
    And everytime I close Medium, it crashes.
    I have GTX 1070, no OC.
  • DevilstowerDevilstower Posts: 94
    Hiro Protagonist
    I was having the invisible stamps issue, along with an issue where the Single option created nothing, regardless of resolution, scale or placement. However, a reboot of the whole system -- not just Medium -- solved the issue.
  • WOLVERINES96WOLVERINES96 Posts: 24
    Brain Burst
    FIXED IT! The problem both for Quill AND Medium was that I was running MSI Afterburner and RivaTuner as I normally do. They were causing a negative interaction with both of these programs and causing the massive stuttering and artifacting in Quill and the OpenGL error code and game crash of Medium. If you've got these issues, and you run Afterburner and RivaTuner, quit the programs and the games will run! SCORE! I've tested both games turning the programs on and off, problems come back when Afterburner and Riva are running, and go away when quit. Phew. 
    I am not running either of these programs that I know of and many of my games bought through the oculus store do not work.
    Does anyone from Oculus rerspond to anything on this forum?  I have emailed them with no response/

• tomofnztomofnz Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    Here are a few reaction type Suggestions:
    • easier placement of symmetry planes relative to the ground grid
    • smooth tool is much weaker than other tools like inflate ... which often makes it annoying to use
    • a variant of flatten more like zbrush hpolish or a clay mallet (the current tool feels more like using a cylinder to erase
    • increase resolution might have an indicator to help you know how many steps the current layer has
    • paint a surface to apply or limit effect on that area (masking really
    • paint with a drybrush style
    • remesh layer to remove internal structures
    • a melt tool, more agressive smooth to maintain large shapes but remove minor surface noise
    • quicker button control for switching Clay add/erase  
    • quicker button control for switching Clay tool/smooth tool
    • option to replace input audio (for example deflate is physically annoying
    • a lattice deformer
    • transform layers tool like in quill
    • option to replace whisk tool button with Last stamp button (whisk tool is a relative gimmick
    • paint (more PBR control, for example Roughness, Metal, Wet, Coating... currently only hsl
    • autopolish new surface option, with control on border with existing surface (handy on erased edges
    • toggle to make straight line constraint placeable by pinning two points rather than lining up an edge by eyeballing it
    • stamp size max scale can continue past top of thumbstick slider range 

edited January 2017
    @tomofnz

• increase resolution might have an indicator to help you know how many steps the current layer has
    How many steps you have left depends on how much volume you've used up in the layer. Resolution in Medium bears only a passing resemblance to polycount in traditional 3d modelling. The bounding box gives you a rough idea of how much room you have left. Agree, tho, some kind of %filled gauge would be nice.
    • paint with a drybrush style
    totally possible with brush-mode (not airbrush) adjust feather to control effect. As a bonus, you can work out, from inside the mesh for cavity painting. 
    • quicker button control for switching Clay add/erase  
    Doubletap the green gear button
    • quicker button control for switching Clay tool/smooth tool
    Hold the control hand trigger (defaults to smooth tool)
    • smooth tool is much weaker than other tools like inflate ... which often makes it annoying to use
    • stamp size max scale can continue past top of thumbstick slider range 
    These are limited by the behind the scenes math involved. They'll probably get a little better over time but I wouldn't hold my breath.