New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Oculus Medium Releases & Updates

Comments

• harpmakerharpmaker Posts: 5
    NerveGear
    we need to be able to change where we save or export the work onto our computers :)
  • NekoKunstNekoKunst Posts: 4
    NerveGear
    One thing that would be incredible, and maybe it is already possible and I do not know how yet, but to be able to change the opacity of all materials. It is great to have the ability to change the opacity when applying paint... but opacity with materials would really open up more doors for creating.

Love the app!
  • Cory_FordVisAusCory_FordVisAus Posts: 6
    NerveGear
    As a VR person developing tools for Automotive design heres a couple things that would be incredibly awesome.

1 .Currently the extrude to line function is locked to a straight curve on the tool head. Would be incredible if we could add a curve with a movable control point into the scene which could then be selected as the extrude path .

2. More flexibility with the quality and sizing of the imported stamps.

3. Would be nice to be able to import one sculpt into another sculpt file without loss of quality.

4. Opportunity to have a home view that returns the model to a lockdown size and position

5. Some kind of indication of the quality / resolution of a layer.

6. A snap to centre symmetry line from the centre of the stamp to allow more accurate symmetry of objects.

7. Inclusion of three plane reference imaging 
  • Cory_FordVisAusCory_FordVisAus Posts: 6
    NerveGear
    My Steam Punk Glider/copter .. modelled so when I print it the blades should spin !
  • FrozenPeaFrozenPea Posts: 2,535 Valuable Player
    I'm not sure if this has been suggested before but it would be great to be able to export each layer of our sculpt as an .obj

It makes it much easier to add materials in other peices of software :) Currently you have to hide and export each layer at a time
  • chuckleonechuckleone Posts: 166
    Art3mis
    To add to @FrozenPea 's suggestion/request, being able to name layers would be nice - especially if the layer names stay intact once exported. i'd also love to see layer groups or the ability to link layers.
  • jmbihoreljmbihorel Posts: 6
    NerveGear
    How far is the obj , stl or vdb import option in the improvements of medium? I would really like to be able to import something a bit more high resolution than  the stamps.
  • WuestefeldWuestefeld Posts: 17
    NerveGear
    jmbihorel said:
    How far is the obj , stl or vdb import option in the improvements of medium? I would really like to be able to import something a bit more high resolution than  the stamps.
    Also can´t wait for this to happen. Because then Medium realy could be used as a tool in normal workflow.
  • flobvflobv Posts: 5
    NerveGear
    edited March 2017
    jmbihorel said:
    Also can´t wait for this to happen. Because then Medium realy could be used as a tool in normal workflow.
    I need this option too. Do you know when the next update of Medium will be released ?
    I really hope that the next update will include this option.
  • johnboyjrjohnboyjr Posts: 62
    Hiro Protagonist
    Can you import stamps? 

flobv said:
    jmbihorel said:
    I need this option too. Do you know when the next update of Medium will be released ?
    I really hope that the next update will include this option.

• Mexicat17Mexicat17 Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    edited April 2017
    Not sure if this is available at the moment or not, but it would really be helpful to be able to view reference images in the background or something.

Also to be able to stretch and pinch (to make someone's torso or legs wider without editing other layers, for instance)

A "floor" that we can snap objects or sculpts to, so if I'm creating say, a snake, I can make a curvy tapered like snapped to the "floor" plane so that it won't be all wobbly when I print it.

On top of that, I'm having some issues with scaling a lot. I create the hand stamp on the largest setting and I've got the fingers getting all fragmented and low-res. Is there a way where we can create a global scale instead of having each stamp or layer having their own scaling properties?

I'm not sure if that last part got understood that well, but it's a very bad problem for me at the moment.
  • Sterling77Sterling77 Posts: 507
    Neo
    Import tilt brush sketches in to edit as reference or merge - native zbrush .ztl output or GOZ - Move brush is very needed. transparent glassy shaders for eyes and windows. 

Love Medium 
  • JacobVRJacobVR Posts: 31
    Brain Burst
    Anything added about additional more granular control, things that are needed when you are doing specification type work, like it has to be a cube thats a foot by a foot..
  • adrozadroz Posts: 12
    NerveGear
    Does anyone know if it's possible too add your own skybox to medium? Also is there a way to add multiple lamps?
    Neo
    edited May 2017
    So there a couple of things. Please other people add to the list. Not spook the Horses, but a PRO version paid update would be fine with me to produce I higher end Medium for production - medium is already efficient for production but the added feature list would mature the app. 

01 - Can you lock the mirror down, or recenter it back to the model previous. 
    02 - Extra lighting would be cool. 
    03 - Transparent shader would be epic. 
    04 - Can you move the VR recorded avatar person closer to the center or is it always over to the right. 
    05 - With resolution is there a option to subdivide - i guess its difficult as medium uses a VDB type voxel config. 
    06 - Custom HDR backgrounds would be great.
    07 - Do you think its possible to create a desktop helper app for import and export from medium - this could include a GOZ native to Zbrush and other export options. 
    08 - Why are the folders and exports locked in medium on Win7 is there a way to unlock them. 
    09 - Can you make the reference image transparent for sketchout and model making 
    10 - Added option for the line tool to have a A to B system - ie click A start point to B end point 
    11 - Native import of TiltBrush sketches and Quill 
    12 - Can you tell the at Quill to add a Mirror feature - again for concepting would be insane. 
    13 - How is the ram allocated to resolution, is it Graphics Card ram thats holding the model or System ram - ie when Up-ressing the model there is a point where it gets heavy - would increasing System ram help or is it GCard ram ? 
    14 - Where is 0 in the medium world space ? is it in the center of the grid or from the menu >Recenter< the reason i ask is that on export to Zbrush the model needs to be adjusted to 0 point. 
    15 - Export of Ambient Occlusion maps would also be great. 
    16 - Masking = epic lol :) 
    17 - MOVE tool !! this should be the most requested 

Thankyou
  • P3nT4gR4mP3nT4gR4m Posts: 1,709 Valuable Player
    So there a couple of things. Please other people add to the list. Not spook the Horses, but a PRO version paid update would be fine with me to produce I higher end Medium for production - medium is already efficient for production but the added feature list would mature the app. 

01 - Can you lock the mirror down, or recenter it back to the model previous. 

You can save the mirror position and return it to this position but once you move the layer, there's no way to return the layer to a position so you've effectively broken symmetry at that point
    02 - Extra lighting would be cool. 
    03 - Transparent shader would be epic. 
    10 - Added option for the line tool to have a A to B system - ie click A start point to B end point
    Agreed!
    13 - How is the ram allocated to resolution, is it Graphics Card ram thats holding the model or System ram - ie when Up-ressing the model there is a point where it gets heavy - would increasing System ram help or is it GCard ram ? 
    Medium uses system RAM so increasing that is useful. 
    14 - Where is 0 in the medium world space ? is it in the center of the grid or from the menu >Recenter< the reason i ask is that on export to Zbrush the model needs to be adjusted to 0 point. 
    If you turn on the ground plane, worldspace origin is the center of the cross on the floor. Recenter Menu only centers the sculpt inside it's own layer bounds. This is used to avoid clipping when you up the resolution.
    Yes on both counts, and move tool is probably pretty close to most requested feature at the moment.
    Neo
    @P3nT4gR4m thanks for the reply - 
    Regarding 01 - Can you lock the mirror down, or recenter it back to the model previous 
    Can you snap the model to 0 and then snap the mirror plane to 0 if not that would be a great solution :) 
    Agreed, it would be a great solution but for now snapping models anywhere isn't a thing. You just need to work around it. Breaking symmetry is pretty much a one-way street for Medium. It's a popular ask, tho, along with the usual kind of snap and alignment options. 
  • pieromanpieroman Posts: 34
    Brain Burst

04 - Can you move the VR recorded avatar person closer to the center or is it always over to the right. 

4 is possible, when a recorded video is playing, there is a video control window on your palette hand and there is an icon there that allows you to move the recorded avatar and his sculpt.

16-17 Yes please, I would even say that it's hard to imagine the second without the first being there (moving things within a sphere with a falloff might already be some progress but would still be quite limiting).
  • NickOh73NickOh73 Posts: 22
    Brain Burst
    My Top 6:
    - Move/Deform Tool in addition to the smudge Tool.
    - pinch Tool
    - Color Picking from reference pictures!!!
    - instead of the line helper a freely customizable curve helper would be nice. 
    - Stamps/Textures for Painting!!
    - Normal/Bumpmap Painting!!

Due to the Fact that the"rendering" is done directly in the engine and the quality will never reach production quality that way, I guess glass shaders would be nice but not necessary just like more than one lights.I would rather keep the good performance and keep medium what is is... a sculptig tool.

Neo
    For sure texture painting would amazing - Maybe a Second phase interface would be good - as in move from the Volume based sculpt into a topology based subdivided scene - I think then flexibility could grow and adding things like texture painting and normal map painting could work.

This could also relieve the VDB volume based memory into a delayed load based geo into the scene, as for auto UV this would be the same as Zbrushes grid map or polypaint. @NickOh73 when i say Production, i'm referring to a pipeline based workflow as mediums uses are focused on roughing out sculpts and then moving this geo to another package for final retopo or previs concept ideation.

As for rendering in engine sure if that's possible to add reflections and refractions Indirect light, SSS and so cool but this isn't something i'm hanging out for - as Zbrush has great rendering workflow, they moved to Keyshot for a reason - to get your models into a production environment fast :) 
    NickOh73 said:

Due to the Fact that the"rendering" is done directly in the engine and the quality will never reach production quality that way, I guess glass shaders would be nice but not necessary just like more than one lights.I would rather keep the good performance and keep medium what is is... a sculptig tool.

Totally agree. Full blown production rendering is the art of watching a busy pointer for hours on end. As anyone who's exported a big model from Medium will know by now - busy pointers are the VR equivalent of waterboarding, ebola and catching your wang in your zipper all rolled into one and served up with a side order of your cat just died.

Neo
    edited May 2017
    On the production render note - In engine referring to Unreal has amazing In Engine rendering all real time and some post fx, so i think its not Impossible, and really would be a great step for Medium, why not do a deal with Marmoset ! its a render engine that really used for viewing a model and that's about it, Could be a really good move in the future just like Zbrush and Keyshot you could have Medium and Marmoset. 
    Neo
    It seems there is an issue with import geometry in medium - is there any update on the fix ? 
  • MartinityMartinity Posts: 139 Poster of the Week
    I would love to be able to import high resolution obj's. I've tried to import 3D scanned humans as reference for anatomy sculpt studies, but as a stamp it's way too low res.
  • MattHickmanMattHickman Posts: 359 Oculus Staff
    We're continuing to work on fixing the current import issues as well as broader import support. We'll have more to announce on both fronts down the road. 
    Neo
    On the Marmoset subject - i noticed that marmoset 2 supports DK1 viewing - SBS realtime render, does anyone know how to get it working on the CV1 - or how to push a display to the CV1