New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Oculus Medium Releases & Updates

Comments

• Sterling77Sterling77 Posts: 510
    Neo
    @MattHickman - I have noticed a bug in the lighting - for freaky friday I was setting up a light for car headlights - and when your view passes near the light the right hand eye gets like a clipping issue or redraw prob - It can be easily reproduced - also with the mirror plane, is there a plan to have the hot selection more direct, as i have experienced moving the light around the mirror plane activates to bright green - and your forced to grab the light from a different location. And in turn placing the light near the mirror plane - the laser pointer makes it active, on and off. I hope you get what I mean. 
  • P3nT4gR4mP3nT4gR4m Posts: 1,715 Valuable Player
    edited June 2017
    Being able to hide the mirror plane in scene mode would be awesome. It really gets in the way like @Sterling77 says. I wonder if it might be an idea to hide all the other assets whenever you have the grab button held on the light. If I'm manipulating the light I want to see how my sculpt looks, not see how it looks with a giant glowing flat plane bisecting it.

Also (kinda similar) hide layer highlighting when material menu is activated. I want to see how the surface looks, and I can't because it's glowing all weird colours.
  • masterchopmasterchop Posts: 43
    Brain Burst
    I didnt see anything about MR, did you included that one? the MR samples shows meduim footage
  • naomi.cornmannaomi.cornman Posts: 190 Oculus Staff

Medium Ver. 1.2.1 Release Notes

Summer of Move patch!! Dive into Medium to play with the Move tool! Try Studio Share with a friend!

Summary:

Medium Bug fixes

• Fixed an issue with the friends list being capped at 25 friends in Studio Share.

• Added iconography to indicate online status of friends in Studio Share.

• Fixed an issue with stamp previews and stamp tool tips not appearing in recordings made on a previous version.

• Fixed a crash loading references from a previous version.

• Fixed an issue with severe artifacting when using make stamp from layer from high resolution layers.

• Min sculpt origin scale is now .01

• thoiterthoiter Posts: 27
    Brain Burst
    I think a couple of small changes/additions which would improve the user work flow would be:
    1. An option to change the sensitivity of the thumbstick when adjusting brush size. It's currently very sensitive and the slightest tap = a big leap in brush size. It's difficult to fine tune without going into the options and adjusting it there which is obviously not ideal..
    2. An option to save custom settings on tools. I usually have my flow rates etc set quite low so I have to adjust them all every time I go into Medium. To be able to save them as custom defaults would be epic.
    Oh and dodge, burn, and saturation tools would be cool too :)
  • MeneerDoumaMeneerDouma Posts: 4
    NerveGear
    I need help please. Oculus medium stopped working.. Says: unable to initialize Oculus Rift
    Other oculus software works fine
  • MetronsMetrons Posts: 48
    Brain Burst
    Is it possible to use oculus with a Wacom mobile studio pro? Any solutions, anyone tried this already?

Cheers
  • MattHickmanMattHickman Posts: 359 Oculus Staff
    Metrons said:
    Is it possible to use oculus with a Wacom mobile studio pro? Any solutions, anyone tried this already?

Cheers
    Oculus Medium only works with Touch controllers.
    I need help please. Oculus medium stopped working.. Says: unable to initialize Oculus Rift
    Are you by chance using revive? If so you'll need to update that each time a Medium update comes out.
  • MetronsMetrons Posts: 48
    Brain Burst
    Sorry, i meant...like just physically plugging the oculus into the tablet. There are no hdri inputs, the tablet uses something else instead? Using my tablet as my pc i mean.

I get to work remotely and i was visiting the office yesterday RAVING to all of the artists about medium "wow, sounds amazing!" but i couldn't show anyone medium beucase i dont know how i can hook up oculus to the tablet. 

Just curious if anyone has done this/know how. 

cheers. 
  • FrozenPeaFrozenPea Posts: 2,535 Valuable Player
    Metrons said:
    Sorry, i meant...like just physically plugging the oculus into the tablet. There are no hdri inputs, the tablet uses something else instead? Using my tablet as my pc i mean.

I get to work remotely and i was visiting the office yesterday RAVING to all of the artists about medium "wow, sounds amazing!" but i couldn't show anyone medium beucase i dont know how i can hook up oculus to the tablet. 

Just curious if anyone has done this/know how. 

cheers. 
    You need a powerful enough laptop to be able to run Oculus + Medium and be portable. It need to meet the minimum spec: https://www.oculus.com/oculus-ready-pcs/ 

Medium out with the 1.3.1 patch

See full release notes here

• daveleackdaveleack Posts: 10
    NerveGear
    Me too, and I'm *not* using ReVive. Oculus CV1 owner, launching from Oculus Home as I have a few dozen times before.
    Now it just refuses to go beyond "Unable to initialize the Oculus Rift".
    The log file says "can't initialize libovr" and "can't initialize rift".
    Every other application I've tried loads fine (so thankfully not a hardware issue).

I hadn't loaded Medium for a while, so I don't know how long it's been like this.
    NerveGear
    It took a clean install of Oculus Home to do it, but I got it running in the end.
    For a while now, Oculus home had been saying "I'm gonna download an update for Home, honest, I am. I'm doing it right now. You just wait. It's gonna be great." and I'd been ignoring the fact that it never seemed to actually do that.
    I guess the runtime had gotten out of step with features Medium expected to be able to use and that's why I couldn't load it.
    In any event, it's back up and running now, thank goodness.
    NerveGear
    Now, any chance of crease and pinch brushes? :D
    Neo
    Great job on the current version :smiley: Very happy !! smooth and snappy - even all the tooltips work just fine. 
  • jing.mun.395jing.mun.395 Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    I want to say well done to the Medium team! I know it's not finished yet, but with only a few hours of using it, I was able to create drastically more impressive pieces as I got a handle on the system. It's very intuitive and very fun. Great work!
    Agree!!!!!!
  • P3nT4gR4mP3nT4gR4m Posts: 1,715 Valuable Player
    Using a stamp in surface constrain mode when the stamp has been moved off it's axis makes the dark lord satan appear and hate me with all his ungodly might. If mirror is on he hates me twice as hard. Also I don't think the reset orientation button does anything unless you turn surface constrain off first.

On a side note - it's waaay to easy to accidentally tweak the stamp orientation when flicking the right stick up and down to size the stamp. Maybe there's some other way this function could be accessed?
    edited January 2018

Medium out with the 1.3.2 patch

See full release notes here

• I-XI-X Posts: 1 Oculus Start Member
    I've only just started using Medium, but it's a wonderful and smooth experience so far, so I really want to thank the Medium team for their hard work!

I'd like to make some suggestions, and I'm not sure if they've been posted in this forum before;

1. an orthographic viewport or some sort of window you can open up to see the side/top/front/ to eliminate guesswork would be amazing
    2. A re-invented pen tool for 3D would be great for clean, precise cuts and sculpts - my hands are pretty shaky, and it really sucks looking at wobbly lines :/
    3. The ability to extrude shapes, which would be made even more powerful with the pen tool
    4. Snapping grids for precision.

I heard about how useful Medium was through some professional groups on FB, and I tried it out myself this week and loved the versatility. I think that if you added these features and moved it to a full-featured tool, professionals would come in droves to use it, and buy it. Those points are some of the only things preventing me from fully switching over, because frankly a VR workflow is so much more natural for me, especially for rough modeling.

Regardless, it's still useful, and fun, so I'll keep using it!

Cheers.
  • deftwaredeftware Posts: 83
    Hiro Protagonist
    I'm having serious performance issues with Medium. It runs at what appears to be 5fps on a blank empty canvas - which makes the tools practically unusable as their response time is 2-3 frames. Robo Recall runs way faster and it's drawing a world and dozen robots, not to mention game logic and physics engine.

• toopytoopy Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    I can't open all my previous work done before the last update (update 1.3.2). And now, when the files open I get a very bad frame rate. (about 3 fps).
    I reinstalled the software, and nothing changes. What should I do? It's very annoying, i have a lot of work I'd like to get back or finish. Is it a memory problem (i've 16gb) ? I noticed that compared to the previous version, the memory quickly overloaded. I hope you could help me...
    Otherwise, thank you and congrat for your great software!

toopy said:
    I can't open all my previous work done before the last update (update 1.3.2). And now, when the files open I get a very bad frame rate. (about 3 fps).
    I reinstalled the software, and nothing changes. What should I do? It's very annoying, i have a lot of work I'd like to get back or finish. Is it a memory problem (i've 16gb) ? I noticed that compared to the previous version, the memory quickly overloaded. I hope you could help me...
    Otherwise, thank you and congrat for your great software!

Yeah, we noticed that we changed something with the GPU, this will be fixed in the next update coming very soon.
    edited February 2018

Medium out with the 1.3.3 patch!

See full release notes here

Neo
    I think that medium is growing into a monster - I say this in a good and bad way. 

From using it before the Move brush lead up and enjoying the ease to jump in and express, it seems some things are getting forgotten - que the Democratic uniqueness of everyone to have their opinion. 

As someone who gets sentimental of technique and has a truly deep love for this art, the pleasure of medium is an enjoyment second to none. 

This is my lead in to pre rant - not trying to look for negatives more about finding my way into them unfortunately. 

First off > Brush Orientation, This toggle thing is absolutely useless - I don't use it anymore as its more of a hindrance than a help - I have mentioned this in another post, Basically if you changed it back to the previous way we would all be happy ( I hope I speak for many here ) The reason I am so passionate about this feature is, before I would use it for accurate hard surface designs and cutting edges and beveling surfaces. Now it's ludacris .. The other issue is you guys have changes the default orientation of the brushes when using the Line button and a Brush. I really hope you can hear what I am saying here and change this back very soon. 

The Taper is confusing > before you could run a stroke and it would delay taper and that was cool. 

The Gimbal menu > OMG this would be great moved somewhere other than in a finicky location -  - click in out and oops back in .. oh no snapping, snapping on.. all good ugh

The Shader menu > is as important - Maybe this would have a better location on the colour pallete - that would be much more intuitive I think. 

The Move brush > default should be per Layer not all Layers .. again another intuitive process. 

I think I noticed that snapping default is now 0.1, why is this the case ? shouldn't snapping be a higher number ( as default ) to serve a snap. 

A Home Sculpt button - would be a delight. I use the Lathe the center the sculpt and then snap move it back to Zero. This is an important thing I think as sometimes walking around a sculpt is cool and sculpting like you cant pick it up can yield really cool results. 

Thankyou Medium team you guys are amazing and thank you for your hard work in bringing the most amazing tool into our worlds - this is total raw feedback and in full respect.

I cant wait 
    to share some of the cool stuff I have been doing in Medium in Film and Production - once I am able to release, I will :) 

@MattHickman @naomi.cornman

Hey @Sterling77! Thanks ALWAYS for your thoughts and feedback. We have an enormous list of things we want to accomplish with developing Medium and your feedback resonates! Looking forward to your film and prod work! 
  • Fistful_of_ColorsFistful_of_Colors Posts: 140
    Art3mis
    naomi.cornman - any news on the arrival of the next patch?

It’s been 18 months since Oculus Medium launched, and now we’re out with our biggest update yet! 

Medium 2.0!

This update delivers many user-requested core sculpting features, like increased layer limit, grid snapping, and multiple lights. We also have a new file management system, scene graph, and a major UI facelift that allows for faster and more intuitive navigation of Medium’s tools, settings, and options.
    With Medium 2.0, you’ll spend more time in flow, ideation, and creation!

Release notes here