cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VR Lens Lab adapters

JohnnyDioxin
Expert Trustee
The new bits arrived today. I wasn't completely convinced by the demo video or when I had put them in place on the lens tabs, but when I fitted them, they were much better than without. The lenses now stay firmly in place and are therefore also easier to remove and refit for cleaning.

http://vr-lens-lab.com/blog/

i5 9600k @4.5GHz; 16GB DDR4 3200; 6xSSD; RTX2080ti; Gigabyte Z390D Mobo
Rift CV1; Index; Quest; Quest 2
12 REPLIES 12

Luciferous
Consultant
Silly question but are these for short sighted people or Long sighted?

Greenfire32
Heroic Explorer

both. they're prescription.

leo1954au
Adventurer
So you get the frames but have to buy your own prescription lenses right ?

Beckford
Explorer
Thanks. Ordered these when they first came out and although they fitted fine for me, they could of fitted better. Glad that these inserts are free.

JohnnyDioxin
Expert Trustee

leo1954au said:

You have to pay for the frames - you can choose to get just the frames, the frames with clear, protective lenses in them (blue guard coating optional) or with prescription lenses - again, with blue guard as an option.

They have just introduced a new kind of lens, which I know nothing about as I don't need them, but they are also prescription types. Maybe these new ones are extreme jobs.

i5 9600k @4.5GHz; 16GB DDR4 3200; 6xSSD; RTX2080ti; Gigabyte Z390D Mobo
Rift CV1; Index; Quest; Quest 2

mbze430
Rising Star
I am a V1 owner, and after complaining with them they did send me the V2 frame. It does fit better, but... I think they will lose it's place when you use them in room-scaling... walking around etc... little vibration tend to loosen them.
Ryzen 7 5800X3D | GSkill 32GB DDR4 | MSI RTX 4090 | Gigabyte Aorus X570 ITX | Samsung 980 Pro 2TB PCIe/NVMe

Anonymous
Not applicable

both. they're prescription.

You'd need to be staggeringly long-sighted to need lenses in the Rift, though, as the focal distance is about 1.5 metres. VR Lens Lab don't even take the prescription for near vision when ordering lenses.

Is there anyone who needs reading glasses in the Rift? And if so, what's the prescription?

leo1954au said:

Some people who already had the frames (which were unsatisfactory for some, depending on the variant of Rift casing) were given free adaptors by VR Lens Lab. If you're buying new you buy the frames and lenses. The frames are about $20 I think.

Anonymous
Not applicable
I just received my lenses. RABS option chosen because I have a high prescription (-7.50 R-sph, -8.25 L-sph) and they came with the optional spacers.

The spacers are definitely needed with my headset. Getting the lenses in was fiddly, and my heart was in my mouth as I fumbled to get them in right without damaging my Rift lenses - Oculus clearly had no thought for add-ins like these, more's the pity. Once in, though, it seems like they're going to be stable for a long time.

There is some barrel distortion when looking downward at the bottom edge of the lenses (oddly, I didn't notice it looking up at the top edge, but it's probably there), but I'd say it's only a little worse than the distortion I get looking obliquely through my normal spectacles. It's very noticeable in some situations (Pinball FX 2 VR) and barely noticeable in others (Dreamdeck skyscraper). I suspect that the more naturalistic the scene, the less one is likely to notice.

And it is such a relief to be able to use my Rift without my spectacles. I have wide lenses to make driving easier, and though the Rift fits over them they do end up pushing on my nose, and getting very uncomfortable. The lens inserts are further away from my eyelashes than my regular specs so they don't get smeary, and seem less prone to fogging up.

3D printing inserts and fitting regular lenses in them probably works just as well and possibly more cheaply (depending on prescription), but the VR Lens Lab inserts/lenses are a nice all-in-one solution for those who don't want the hassle.

Anonymous
Not applicable
I've been VERY happy with mine. Turns out that I didn't need the inserts and they fit just fine with no danger of falling out. I'm definitely getting more lenses from them when my prescription changes.